PDA

View Full Version : Yeti vs. CX5

BlackOctaviaRS
27-02-2012, 06:28 PM
I've just been reading reviews, specs, pricing etc for the new Mazda CX5. Very promising, and extremely good value.

Skoda Oz need to take a good hard look at the Yeti pricing and equipment, or it's going to get slaughtered by the CX5.

team_v
27-02-2012, 07:34 PM
I've just been reading reviews, specs, pricing etc for the new Mazda CX5. Very promising, and extremely good value.

Skoda Oz need to take a good hard look at the Yeti pricing and equipment, or it's going to get slaughtered by the CX5.

The cx5 is going to be a very competitive product for them.
Better looking than most of the CUV's and priced well, plus it has the good diesel and reasonably powerful petrol variants.

Jake02
27-02-2012, 07:51 PM
I have to admit, I really like the CX-5. It is so classy and is easily the best looking compact SUV. My parents were considering replacing our Octavia RS with one (especially as my first car is a Mazda 323 SP20 and I really love it) but we went very cold on it when we discovered that the only manual you can get is the very, very base model (the $28k Maxx petrol FWD) and say what you will, but to us that's inexcusable. We were really hoping for a GT diesel AWD manual but I guess that won't be happening for a while (and the auto is $55k on road)!

Until then, Yeti for the win, especially the incoming 112/118TSI. I agree, the Yeti will get slaughtered, but it doesn't bother me that much because I know that every compact SUV is going to be slaughtered by the CX-5 and finally, the compact SUV class gets an interesting entry (honestly, the thought of Foresters or X-Trails puts me to sleep). Interesting times for the compact SUV class.

team_v
27-02-2012, 08:06 PM
I have to admit, I really like the CX-5. It is so classy and is easily the best looking compact SUV. My parents were considering replacing our Octavia RS with one (especially as my first car is a Mazda 323 SP20 and I really love it) but we went very cold on it when we discovered that the only manual you can get is the very, very base model (the $28k Maxx petrol FWD) and say what you will, but to us that's inexcusable. We were really hoping for a GT diesel AWD manual but I guess that won't be happening for a while (and the auto is $55k on road)!

Until then, Yeti for the win, especially the incoming 112/118TSI. I agree, the Yeti will get slaughtered, but it doesn't bother me that much because I know that every compact SUV is going to be slaughtered by the CX-5 and finally, the compact SUV class gets an interesting entry (honestly, the thought of Foresters or X-Trails puts me to sleep). Interesting times for the compact SUV class.

That is a real shame about the lack of a manual.

Will be interesting to see how the Subaru XV holds up against this one too.

BluChris
28-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Good looking? Really? I feel its looks are, um, challenging TBH and that the Yeti kills it in this area. Either way, the Mazda will cream the Skoda in sales. So many people have said it, but VWA really needs to start listening on price. The current situation where Skoda is (a) not especially cheap (b) priced very close to VW product is nuts.

woofy
28-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Its funny all the comments about no manuals etc. Mazda are very much manual focussed and in a lot of cases quite often didn't have auto options especially in the more sporty cars. They copped tonnes of flack over it, especially here with cars like the MPS 6, and even Skoda heard complaints about the Scout being only manual. We actually struggled to sell a manual 6 in immaculate shape because everyone wanted the auto 6, even though the manual gearbox was 6 Spd and a much newer box.

So its no wonder they have just gone the auto route, would also make sense in the US market.

VAG newbie
29-02-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't really care. As long as Skoda maintain enough sales here to remain viable, then I am hppy. I'd rather Skoda not be a volume seller, otherwise I will lose the uniqueness of my car.

CX5 just looks like any Mazda 3 out there. I bet in 1 year time, there will be CX5 everywhere, and you can't even recognize your own car in the shopping center.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Good looking? Really? I feel its looks are, um, challenging TBH and that the Yeti kills it in this area. Either way, the Mazda will cream the Skoda in sales. So many people have said it, but VWA really needs to start listening on price. The current situation where Skoda is (a) not especially cheap (b) priced very close to VW product is nuts.

Skoda never wanted to be volume sellers. Matt Wiesner said it himself. He brought in the uppermarket Octavia and Superbs before Yeti and Fabia, so that there will be a "prestige" feeling to the marque. He didn't want to go for the Korean approach, with cheap cars to steal the sales, which gave the Koreans a cheap image that still plague them until now.

Also the factory in Czech can't keep up with the demand if it becomes a mass volume seller. In we wnat it cheap, VW Aus will probably try to source the car from India or China, like what Honda did, which totally shattered its image as "BMW of Japan" and costed its sales.

PassatB6
29-02-2012, 11:49 AM
In terms of sales Australia is one of the few countries where Mazdas sell well. There are no Mazdas in the top 25 cars (sales) internationally a fact that would surprise many Australians. No Skodas either for that matter though the Octavia is the biggest seller in 8 countries. Agree that Skoda should start watching its pricing though. They are substatially cheaper elsewhere in the world.

K1W1
02-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Its funny all the comments about no manuals etc. Mazda are very much manual focussed and in a lot of cases quite often didn't have auto options especially in the more sporty cars.

Mazda had no auto diesel options at all until recently. Both the 6 and the CX7 diesels were manual only.

shoutj74
09-03-2012, 10:21 AM
We have a Yeti TDi and a manual Mazda 3 TD Sport which similarly feels about as rare as the Yeti. The 3 is a stonkingly good car, but it did take it Mazda about 6 years to bring the NVH issues any where near Skoda, and I read the CX-5 is the same. I thought really hard about waiting for the CX-5 before plumping for the Yeti, and I am still not sure I made the right decision. The lack of Skoda dealers makes my ownership experience tricky, and the Yeti has certainly not been free from early issues, a couple of which are still not sorted. I suspect the CX-5 will be the same though for a while, with at least a couple of years passing before the product really settles. Trying to match the specifications between the Yeti and CX-5 though, the CX-5 doesn't seem like quite the bargain we might have expected it to be, the Skoda issue is that Sat Nav costs almost as much as an entire model lift in the Mazda. Those in the know will choose the Yeti in the long term though, the masses will choose the CX-5 for sure. I'm also already getting the same set of fuel returns from my Yeti as Mazda claim their 'revolutionary' sky active tech will deliver.

bluey
22-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Have been looking at a small SUV to get for a few years, from when the Tiguan was not yet launched. Our outgoing vehicle was a Mazda Premacy (t-boned by a little old lady - written off). Haven't been overly impressed by Mazda engineering now or with a relative's 929 many moons ago. A few fiddly-looking fragile bits under the CX5 look suspect for off roaders.

I like the relatively clean looks of the Yeti. The packaging and turning circle is better than Tiguan. Yeti turning circle is actually better than the Polo 9N. The large black grill on the CX5 doesn't look so great. Pricing of the CX5 for equivalent 4WD specs as Yeti looked a few thousand more, but then this was comparing manual Yeti to auto (only) CX5.

As a road car, the Yeti TDI is a whole lot more car than a Golf TDI and a whole lot less money than a 4WD Golf. Wish VW brought the Golf+ out, but probably never since they would compete with the Tiguan.

I have still not driven an auto (rentals) that is more fun than a manual to drive, and it looks like the reason DSGs get better consumption than some manuals of the same model looks to be more due to limited manual gearbox ratios, since the Yeti 6-speed manual gets better consumption than the Yeti DSG. I do think the DSG autos are the best autos I have driven to date, esp in sport mode, but not without their shift glitches occasionally.

I do recall reading in a BMW magazine a few years ago about it being more efficient to turn off and restart a diesel if it has to idle for more than 30secs. So anyone wishing to get closer to SkyActive consumption benefits just needs to turn off their TDI more often!

Yeti TDI on the way hopefully by end of next week! (I do think street prices on Yeti TDI manuals are pretty good at the moment $36K.)

nyc863
21-06-2012, 02:29 PM
I drove a CX5 from a dealer and the next day I drove a Yeti.

My conclusion is at least for me the CX5 lost. I liked the style, and the diesel/istop, quiet idle, I did not like the high pressure "we're selling everything you should pick whatever it'll be gone tomorrow" situation. Also and more critically I didn't like the dark interior you sit in, car style, rather than the expected airy "command"-esque driving position you get in the yeti. Finally I found the TDI yeti surprisingly spritely, and the CX5 less so. It seems for the premium CX5 the drive away price is circa 50k but for the premium Yeti the driveaway price is less. Also I believe the Yeti has more off road credibility as the CX5 front lip can hit things.

bluey
21-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Current issue of Wheels has a small SUV test which ranked 1. CX5; 2. Tiguan; 3.Yeti. Like Choice magazine, they end up comparing apples with oranges and declaring the pear the best. It's still an interesting read and one of the writers is getting a Yeti for a long-term test.

BJ75
21-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Personally, I think the CX-5 is ugly as balls.

I didn't always think this way, however. When I first saw the pictures, of the sporty blue model, I thought "Uh oh!" to the fact that I had ordered and was waiting for my Yeti to arrive. Had I just made a monumental error? My assessment of Mazda at the time of decision was down to one choice: a Mazda6 Diesel wagon. But I wanted an auto and pretty much put Mazda to bed at that point. I didn't even read about what was 'soon to arrive'. So yeah ... for a while there I thought that I'd be driving my Yeti around seeing CX-5's and wishing I'd made another choice.

2 things changed that:
1: seeing my red & black Yeti in the showroom
2. seeing the CX-5 in the flesh (or metal, as it were)

Seriously unimpressed with the CX-5, compared with it's pics. Plus, they're starting to pop up everywhere, whereas I've seen a total of 5 Yeti's in Melb and 1 in Sydney. I don't care what people think of my personal appearance, let alone my car's. I reckon it looks awesome and unique (good unique, not "sure honey, that's a unique dress" unique). That body coloured B-pillar is what makes it.

VAG newbie
23-08-2012, 10:31 AM
CX5 is experiencing oil leak with their diesel engine! So much for Mazda's reliability.

Backlash over Mazda CX-5 diesel oil issues (http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/backlash-over-mazda-cx5-diesel-oil-issues-20120821-24k6w.html)

Transporter
23-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Some Polo GTI owners woud be jealous :grin:

I would be interested to see the used oil analysis done on that oil, most likely will be loaded up with all the byproducts of the diesel combustion.

bluey
23-08-2012, 01:18 PM
I would be interested to see the used oil analysis done on that oil, most likely will be loaded up with all the byproducts of the diesel combustion.

Yes. Surely that's the only way the oil level could rise, but how could that much diesel get into the sump without there being a serious fault??? They claim it is "normal" for a DPF vehicle. But how can a DPF result in diesel in the sump???

Transporter
23-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Yes. Surely that's the only way the oil level could rise, but how could that much diesel get into the sump without there being a serious fault??? They claim it is "normal" for a DPF vehicle. But how can a DPF result in diesel in the sump???

When the ECU actvelly regenerates the DPF, it injects more fuel, so the fuel is still burning when going through the exhaust and in the DPF.
That unburned diesel washes off into the sump.

You remove the DPF and engine will use less fuel.

edit: It's not the only way the oil level could rise, the coolant can enter the sump as well. ;)

Rooboy
07-10-2012, 06:43 PM
I picked up my Yeti this week after trying most others around. The Yeti was always near the top of my list due to reviews I read about it. Similarly the CX-5 but looking at the base price for the diesel I thought it was going to be exxy. Ok it has sat nav and reversing camera as standard but the black on black dash is claustrophobic and there is really nothing in the interior that sets it apart from the rest. I'm a bit over the busy creases and big smiles on the exteriors too and I don't need sat nav coz I get it on my phone with free updates. The car drives nice enough but again it wasn't better than the Yeti. I was quoted $44k driveaway as a starting point for the CX-5 and got the feeling they weren't going to be very forthcoming on a deal due to the popularity of it. This was pretty much confirmed to me last night when I met a friend that bought a 2wd petrol for $38k. In the end, I'm very happy with the Yeti purchase as it was the better all round deal for driving, equipment and price.

NotYet
28-10-2012, 09:27 AM
One thing that sold me on the Yeti was that it was nearly a foot (300mm) shorter than most others in its class (e.g. CX5 4540mm v Yeti 4220mm) and has a correspondingly much tighter turning circle. Makes a big difference in the city. With the square back and clever interior, you don't lose much on space either.

Ryeman
04-02-2014, 08:35 AM
We have a Yeti TDi and a manual Mazda 3 TD Sport which similarly feels about as rare as the Yeti. The 3 is a stonkingly good car, but it did take it Mazda about 6 years to bring the NVH issues any where near Skoda, and I read the CX-5 is the same. I thought really hard about waiting for the CX-5 before plumping for the Yeti, and I am still not sure I made the right decision. The lack of Skoda dealers makes my ownership experience tricky, and the Yeti has certainly not been free from early issues, a couple of which are still not sorted. I suspect the CX-5 will be the same though for a while, with at least a couple of years passing before the product really settles. Trying to match the specifications between the Yeti and CX-5 though, the CX-5 doesn't seem like quite the bargain we might have expected it to be, the Skoda issue is that Sat Nav costs almost as much as an entire model lift in the Mazda. Those in the know will choose the Yeti in the long term though, the masses will choose the CX-5 for sure. I'm also already getting the same set of fuel returns from my Yeti as Mazda claim their 'revolutionary' sky active tech will deliver.

As a 'newby', I'm working my way through all post (homework), apologies for going back into the dim distant past, but
aren't VW dealerships de facto Skoda parts/servicing outlets too?.
Dave

Rooboy
05-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Sorry I can't help with a definitive answer on that. I get mine serviced in Richmond which is an Audi and Skoda dealer. IIRC there was another thread sometime ago that mentioned that VW dealers weren't going to act as de facto outlets for Skoda.

bluey
06-02-2014, 08:13 PM
[...]
aren't VW dealerships de facto Skoda parts/servicing outlets too?.
Dave

Nt sure about the "de facto" part. It would make business sense to be both a VW and a Skoda dealer, since the mechanical commonality of the brands means the workshop should be more efficient. I have been to one that sells and services both, The brands of both are clearly visible, and that is probably part of the dealers contract.

woofy
06-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Toowoomba has a joint dealer. Also the Audi dealer and Mazda. There wasn't an Audi dealer until recently.

Ryeman
07-02-2014, 08:12 AM
To answer my own ?
Skoda could hardly object to VW stamping yr service book after all they are 'reasonably qualified'. And the fluids are VW spec not Skoda.
Imagine a legal dispute on that......not likely!
So as far as I'm concerned if a VW service dept gives me a quote, it's going to be ok.
I'd forget the 'lack of dealers' issue.

Mountainman
07-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Toowoomba has a joint dealer. Also the Audi dealer and Mazda. There wasn't an Audi dealer until recently.
Wippells in Toowoomba do Audi, VW, Skoda, Mazda, Subaru & Proton but through different showrooms and sales people.
VW & Subaru share one workshop but I don't know how many of the others are handled by the other workshop - probably all.