PDA

View Full Version : Liqui-Moly Engine Detox and Engine Oil Resealer

TomC
23-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Just wondering if anyone has experience using either of these products? The brand comes recommended from Transporter; there's a bit of forum info on their oils but not much on their engine treatments...

Reason for asking is that my car continues to be a heavy oil drinker (up to 1L/1000km) which I don't love and am trying to rectify without major engine work. Am confident of the engine detox product as it's just an engine oil flush to be done at time of oil change. Has anyone tried the oil resealer product? And would it be suitable for my turbo Golf?

Love to hear any thoughts/experiences out there. Thanks :)

TomC
26-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Any takers on this product? No? I might be the first to pioneer at my own peril??? :stupid:

gavs
10-03-2012, 11:55 AM
In my own (limited) experience, there are 2 ways to fix that kind of oil consumption well 3 actually.

1) sell the car or get a new motor al together
2) rebuild the motor with new Pistons, rings etc and re-hone the bores
3) run a thicker grade oil.

Sorry dude. That's bordering 2 stroke levels of consumption oil.

wfdTamar
15-07-2012, 12:21 PM
I've used the flush and their long term treatment (lasts 50,000kms) on a TDI. Engine hasn't blown up yet so I'm guessing they don't do any harm.

Bry
17-09-2012, 10:53 PM
+1 for thicker oil. These things are just a bandaid fix, never seen the miracle results they claim to give.

master phi
24-05-2013, 07:05 PM
I tried this out yesterday. Bottle says will notice something after 200km so I'll let you know at 11300 km. Bought at Autobarn for $18 so I figured wouldn't harm to try to see if there is a difference.

edit: Sorry I used this LIQUI MOLY FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER / CONDITIONER

be interested in your results however :D

Idle
24-05-2013, 09:46 PM
For what it's worth, it looks like you have a somewhat loose motor, which is something that affects most makes, not just VW.

In mass production there's no such animal as a precisely machined part — all have a manufacturing tolerance, and ideally parts will be selected during assembly to compensate.

Every now and again this doesn't work out and an engine comes through with parts at opposite ends of the scale, which may make the engine too tight or, as in your case, too loose. If it's too loose the engine is going to burn oil, if too tight and it's not picked up in the factory it may overheat and wear faster than it should — if the owner is lucky it'll fail while under warranty.

Since in both circumstances the parts are indeed within tolerance, getting the dealer or factory to admit any fault while the thing is still running is an uphill battle.

If you indeed have one of those motors there's probably not a lot you can do other than identify where the mismatches are and rectify them, which would probably cost you more than the oil you'll burn.

A heavier grade of oil sometimes helps, but not always.

As to additives reducing oil consumption, I've only ever seen one that really worked, and that only for a very short time after which the offending engine was pretty much a write-off — it disappeared many years ago.

It consisted of vermiculite particles suspended in oil (vermiculite has the property of expanding under heat and then retaining its size) — you added it to your oil, some of it found its way into the ring grooves, expanded there, filled up excess space an improved the rings contact with the cylinders. What it did in other parts of the engine doesn't bear thinking about.

It often worked like a charm for a while, but its long-term result was usually disastrous — helped the rebore industry along, though.