PDA

View Full Version : B6 wagon missing some led's in tail light

PranK
13-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Hey guys,

My wifes B6 has some non-emitting led's in her left tail light. Its the outer ring (not the brake light) and about 1/4 of the ring does not illuminate at all.

What could the issue be? LED's shouldn't "blow" so is this only fixed with a new outer light housing? I had no love searching ECS for parts or passatworld for info..

Christian

adrock
13-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Same for me with the right unit on my R36. Also a couple in the indicator not working. In for a service in a week or so, keep you posted.

PranK
13-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Same for me with the right unit on my R36. Also a couple in the indicator not working. In for a service in a week or so, keep you posted.

I had a close look tonight and it seems that part of the tail light has corroded. One on the indicator doesnt work either, its a bit strange, looks like the drivers side is starting to corrode as well. :(

Umai Naa!!
13-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Has it got a towbar? Sounds crazy, but they have to removed to get the bumper off to fit the towbar. Sometimes installers can be a little rough with them, cracking the hounsings, causing the LEDs to eventually fail.

Unless you're a whizz with electronics, the only way to rectify the problem is to replace the tail light.

adrock
13-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Nope, no towbar for me.

PranK
14-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Nope, me neither.

ECS has replacements for $150 - might just have to do something like that.

OilBurna
01-04-2012, 07:36 PM
[hey guys I have the same issue on my rhs tail light 07 wagon quarter of the brake light and one of the indicator lights on the outer ring, still under extended warranty and next service not far away so will see what they say, left one is fine.

WestOiler125
08-04-2012, 02:21 PM
[hey guys I have the same issue on my rhs tail light 07 wagon quarter of the brake light and one of the indicator lights on the outer ring, still under extended warranty and next service not far away so will see what they say, left one is fine.

Keep us posted, I see a number of B6's with this problem around Perth.

stefanlua
31-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Keep us posted, I see a number of B6's with this problem around Perth.
I know it has been a while since the initial post but I had the same problem just now and wanted to share the fix.
I used a hack saw to remove the back of the housing ( if you have a Dremel, even better ) then had access to the LED. 2 broken solder joints were easily found, resoldered. that fixed it. I used Sikaflex MS to glue the housing back together.
29756 29754 29755

PranK
01-01-2016, 10:19 AM
I don't think mine is the same problem. When looking into the light from outside you can see some corrosion around the led's. I'll post pics soon.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

OilBurna
26-02-2016, 09:31 AM
As mentioned got my first one replaced under extended warranty then they changed the t&c's bastards and would not allow the 2nd claim saying LED's are consumable items. WTF? they are supposed to last 20,000hrs. Given today looks like my fuel pump has died and car had to be towed again this is my last VW...