PDA

View Full Version : Big Problems

red_t4
12-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Ok a mate has a 1997 2.0 (i think) petrol t4. 5spd manual. 217000kms
first problem, the engine seems to hunt and miss, idle is crap, every 5 seconds seems to almost stall then rev back up. acceleration is jerky.

second but main problem
gearbox lost reverse not long ago, and 1st and 2nd went to the position where reverse was, this lead me to assume that the linkages had gone wacky. sent to basic mechanics who lubricated something dont know didnt ask the friend precise details, and now the only gears available are 3rd and 4th. anywhere on the gear lever up is 3rd down is 4th.

See how you go with this one :)

Thanks
Tim

phaeton
12-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Welcome to VWwA Tim j:

The T4 Advisors will be here shortly ;)

Tornado T5
12-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I seem to remember a similar problem...looking at service records now @ 246,894km I lost reverse and had trouble getting anything else...after repairs it was a broken bush and ball socket linkage for the gear lever leading into the gearbox. This was replaced with a new part and all up it cost $128.48 precisely back in sept '05. IIRC you could just make out the linkage if you looked down through the engine bay to the rear of the gearbox...using a torch...as the protection plate under the engine blocks your view from underneath and had to come out as well.....I hope this provides some help.

ps. the actual bush and ball socket only cost $17 back then...labour while at a cheap rate took a while for a local non-experienced VW mechanic at the time.

red_t4
12-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks tornado, ill look into that, hopefully that is the problem certainly would be better than a tranny reconditioning.

Thanks for the welcome Ben

Tim

red_t4
13-07-2007, 12:31 AM
btw, can anyone instruct me on how to put a new bush and ball in? or push the old one back in its socket if its come out?

Thanks
Tim

Bug_racer
13-07-2007, 12:42 AM
pull the whole linkage out and push the ball and socket in properly in a vice , Ive tried doing it on the car and sometimes it pops out after a few k's . The shaft comes out towards the back end of the car , its tricky but worth doing it the long way

vwrx
14-07-2007, 09:10 PM
This bush cannot be inserted fully in the vehicle, it must be pressed in with a vice, When i did mine( and it is a bugger of a job) i also had to realign the neutral position afterward.

red_t4
16-07-2007, 01:53 PM
ok in the end i found out that the mechanic that worked on it has no idea about working on vw. the ball joint socket is fine, so ended up getting 1-4 back but only just. the friend is gonna take it to proper vw mechanic and get it sorted.

Thanks for continued replies
Tim