PDA

View Full Version : blinker making blinking NOISE!!arrgghh

gpk_gti
11-07-2007, 08:57 PM
hey guys!

my blinker relay,the one behind the hazard decided today to start to click extra after the blinkers had turned off,then as I drove straight ,it would intermitantly do that blink sound.do I need to replace the relay or is there a fix?? it has been sticking on ,for over 6 months now,that is,the blinkers wont blink just stay on,but if you jiggle the hazard switch slightly it would go away.

is this a stealer only part? or can I find it second hand? or a fix available??

help guys!!!:D

h100vw
11-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Maybe pull the relay and take the cap off it. Have a look for bad soldered joints in it. They will be dull grey not shiny. Touch all the bad ones up with a soldering iron and some fresh solder.

Gavin

gpk_gti
11-07-2007, 09:25 PM
hmm,thanks,,ill check it tomoro!!!! im going blinking mad!!!

Lams
11-07-2007, 10:27 PM
I've had this one before, lucky the car was under warranty. My cruise control stalk went bad, but the dealer said the hazard relay being the cause of this problem is more common

A friend of mine had the same thing, he took the hazard switch off and cleaned the contacts. He did the same to the indicator stalk, and it lasted another few months before it came back again.

It did drive me mad though!!!

gpk_gti
11-07-2007, 10:42 PM
actually my cruise control never worked,so maybe thats the cause??

DaveMack
12-07-2007, 12:00 AM
im going blinking mad!!!

What do you mean "Going", George? :D

Dave

SoVeReIgN
12-07-2007, 12:40 AM
Yep mine did the same in the Audi - Got replacement blinker module from UK I still haven't gotten around to fitting.

Cost ~$20 AUD from memory

brackie
12-07-2007, 06:31 AM
As Gavin says, the soldered joints in the relay can oxidize and make contact intermittently. The contact points burn over time. Take off the cover and clean the points with some 600 wet and dry and touch the soldered connection with a hot (but not too hot) soldering iron. If this doesn't fix it then it's the stalk......

99gti
12-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Hmmm, looks like this is a common problem. My clickers are ok but my cruise button on the end doesn't work (on/off/resume are ok). Might be worth doing a how to...

gpk_gti
13-07-2007, 03:50 PM
ok guys,went to my mech today,pull apart the hazard switch.its not that..I played around with the blinker stalk and if you hold it slightly up or down then it does that anoying click click,so its the stalk that must have a bad connection.The unit is sealed and I cant see a way of fiddling with the wires or checking the contacts.so this would explain also why my cruise control has never worked????
anyone know how much this thing is worth or if there is a sneaky way of repairing the bad connections?????

pursuit_ute
19-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Any updates on this? The clicking noise is driving us nuts. A VW repairer in Canberra replaced the relay for us but the problem stayed - unfortunately we moved to QLD and cbf arranging a refund.

Did you sort the stalk?

gpk_gti
19-09-2007, 05:19 PM
its on my list of things to do......I just crank the stereo!!!:D

pursuit_ute
19-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Bah, bump it up the list and tell me how you go.

gpk_gti
19-09-2007, 05:24 PM
when I get a chance its next on my TO DO list!

pursuit_ute
19-09-2007, 05:43 PM
lol, thanks :)

NGOLF.U
19-09-2007, 10:40 PM
oh my god...yes i feel yous!!!! my fkn think has been clicking for over a year now!!!!! cbf going anywhere to fix it, so its my own fault!!!