PDA

View Full Version : DNA Tuning Frankenturbo Stage 3 Kit Introductory Offer

DNA Tuning
02-02-2012, 06:45 AM
DNA Tuning Frankenturbo Stage 3 Kit

Greetings VWWC,

It is with great pleasure that I introduce our Frankenturbo Stage 3 kit for the following cars (but not limited to):

VW Golf GTI Mk IV 1.8T
VW Polo GTI 9N3 1.8T
Audi A3 1.8T
Audi A4 1.8T/1.8TQ
Audi TT 8L 1.8T/1.8TQ
Audi S3 8L

The Kit

The Frankenturbo F4 series K04 hybrid turbochargers are designed to provide a potent upgrade for the common VAG K03 turbo, and as a higher performing replacement for the VAG K04 turbo. For the VAG 1.8T; this means engine power levels in excess of 230kW depending on supporting hardware modifications and level of tune.

Our kit in its basic form comprises of the following:

Frankenturbo F4H (T or L, depending on engine orientation)
K04 Turbo Hardware Installation Kit (bolts, gaskets, crush washers, etc.)
3" MAF Housing
2.75" to 3" MAF Housing Adapter Gasket
Bosch Green Giant 42lbs Injectors x 4
DNA Tuning SRS-II Handheld Flashloader Loaded with 2 x DNA Tuning Software Profiles

Cost: Not $2399, NOW REDUCED TO $1999 - TWO TRANSVERSE 1.8T FWD KITS REMAINING

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/02/DNATuningSRSII-1.jpg

As the value of these cars have come down over the years, it is only appropriate that the cost of modifying these vehicles have similarly become more affordable. This stage 3 kit, designed for use with your own choice of intake, intercooler and exhaust setup, makes big power achievable and reliable by using mainly higher rated OEM parts.

DNA Tuning's ECU software is highly customizable to meet individual requirements. Using the SRS-II handheld flashloader, users can select between two states of tunes. Custom tuning for meth injection can also be provided.

If you're interested, please send an email to john@dnatuning.com.au.

As Doug from Frankenturbo says - "Let's Do This!"

nightphotographer
02-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Damn that's tempting...

Lucas_R
02-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Wow - great price John. All you guys with the 1.8T's chasing more power should get on this deal. $2,400 for a new turbo, injectors plus a tune etc is great value.

theOctopus
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
that is sooooo tempting, 1.8t likes this

Njay
02-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Can't wait for mine, just waiting for couple more parts

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Gti Dave
02-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Awesome price. If I still had my polo, I'd pull the trigger on this!!! Come on vag nuts support a great guy with great products at awesome prices!!!

kaanage
02-02-2012, 03:55 PM
How much would be usable on a 1.9 TDi?
I know the injectors would be need be different...

schwartza3
02-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Hi mate,
Any chances of introducing F23 kit?

Also, I currently have GIAC chip which is soldered in the ecu.
Would the chip need to be removed to run DNA program or can you reprogram it?
Does the SRS work on the AGU ecu's - 06A 906 018 CJ?
Cheers

vwthunder
02-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi mate,

Cheers

Wow now your talking, I am hearing over 300whp on these babies

Njay
04-02-2012, 07:19 AM
I've heard 300whp as well but im too. Scared I might bend a rod

DNA Tuning
04-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Yes I am currently working on an F23 kit; not much of the kit would have to change but I would say for moderate to aggressive boost levels, an upgraded fuel pump will definitely be required.

Frankenturbo do have their upgraded in-line pump upgrade, but I'm not sold on it not being a direct OEM-style replacement, etc.

Rather, I'm thinking of including a Walbro 255LPH complete with OEM cage for fuel tank drop in, but yes I have absolutely no problem with supplying the F23, as long as customers are aware that without upgraded rods they run a risk of causing severe engine damage in the event of overboost, etc.

As for your ECU, it is a Bosch M3.8 series, which, once installed with a soldered chip, will need to remain that way - SRS-II does not support these older types. For a soldered chip replacement, we may have to send the ECU to the UK to get an F23 tune programmed chip soldered in, or socketed so that updated revisions can be done locally via TSOP reprogrammer.

Hi mate,

Cheers

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

How much would be usable on a 1.9 TDi?
I know the injectors would be need be different...

Greg! Long time no chat; I'm not sure physically how everything bolts together on the 1.9TDI - one way to find out! Are the diesel engines indeed built like tanks? If so, an F4H on a 1.9TDI could be quite an animal! Realistically you should still get a decent powerband above 2800-3000rpm I would say - but certainly there is some compromise on the low end power.

I'd be very interested to hear what your thoughts are on the possibilities.

h100vw
04-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Top deal on the packages John. Have to agree about the fuel pump, much better to use an intake upgrade IMO. The APR style one, can be had without the price tag if you know where to look :P

Going over 300hp is another worry, you'd get away with it for a while but it would eventually end in :facepalm:

Do you guys not bench flash the ME3.8?

Gavin

DNA Tuning
04-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Top deal on the packages John. Have to agree about the fuel pump, much better to use an intake upgrade IMO. The APR style one, can be had without the price tag if you know where to look :P

Going over 300hp is another worry, you'd get away with it for a while but it would eventually end in :facepalm:

Do you guys not bench flash the ME3.8?

Gavin

One of my tools which I use for the older cars works fine for the M5.9, but at least from what I've experienced doesn't seem to support the M3.8 - maybe I missed something?

Apparently some of the cheap tools can, ie. Galletto, which I do have as well, can do this, but I haven't had the chance yet since getting one to confirm this.

Either way, there's several ways of cooking a steak, so with each customer I will look into what the most feasible way is - it would be nice if I had everything the guys in the UK have, but I don't exactly have $30k lying around unfortunately.

h100vw
04-02-2012, 10:40 AM
One of my tools which I use for the older cars works fine for the M5.9, but at least from what I've experienced doesn't seem to support the M3.8 - maybe I missed something?

Apparently some of the cheap tools can, ie. Galletto, which I do have as well, can do this, but I haven't had the chance yet since getting one to confirm this.

Either way, there's several ways of cooking a steak, so with each customer I will look into what the most feasible way is - it would be nice if I had everything the guys in the UK have, but I don't exactly have $30k lying around unfortunately.

You could join Custom-Code for a lot less than 30K.:cookie: My flash app lists 5.9 and 3.8 together, so it might be worth having a go. Agreed there's plenty of ways of doing the job, I like the idea of doing it the easiest way though!

Gavin

schwartza3
04-02-2012, 01:24 PM
i thought 300whp was fine on AGU with bigger wrist pins than newer 1.8t's.
its the low end torque/boost spike that will bend a rod not the hp, it comes down to the tune i guess.

theOctopus
07-02-2012, 10:42 AM
so how much for the install, or is it included in the price.

vwthunder
07-02-2012, 10:55 AM

lol I dont think it would be included for that price. Guessing it would be around another $1000

h100vw
07-02-2012, 11:01 AM

Install included? Not much chance mate, it would take a good half a day to do the turbo alone.

Gavin

vwthunder
07-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Install included? Not much chance mate, it would take a good half a day to do the turbo alone.

Gavin

The Manifold that comes with the kit is a Bi$ch to get on

And a Tip for anyone who buys a kit, get some OEM washers for the Turbo oil line. They are 80 cents each and will save you from pulling the turbo off to fix a oil leak Doh :facepalm:

kaanage
07-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Realistically you should still get a decent powerband above 2800-3000rpm I would say - but certainly there is some compromise on the low end power.

Oh, scratch that option for the diesel then - it's too close to the redline!!:facepalm:

DNA Tuning
13-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Oh, scratch that option for the diesel then - it's too close to the redline!!:facepalm:

That isn't the only issue you'd encounter I think!

Anyway, for those feeling a little apprehensive, a kit will be going in a 9N3 GTI soon in the next couple of months; all results and pictures will be fully documented right here on VWWC!

A couple other Frankenturbo + DNA Tune setups are also in progress.

kaanage
13-02-2012, 01:13 PM
I was looking at the rev range being a fundamental limitation before even considering any other issues (manifold fit, diesel injectors...)

BTW did you factor in that a diesel flows a lot more gas at the same RPM since it isn't throttled?

Really looking forward to seeing how the test vehicle responds to the treatment too! :)

vwthunder
13-02-2012, 02:10 PM
That isn't the only issue you'd encounter I think!

Anyway, for those feeling a little apprehensive, a kit will be going in a 9N3 GTI soon in the next couple of months; all results and pictures will be fully documented right here on VWWC!

A couple other Frankenturbo + DNA Tune setups are also in progress.

Really interesting, I guess now that there will be others, well I will have to go to a bigger turbo setup lol

mk1turbo79
22-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Any chance on a Frankenturbo kit for a B5 S4 John?

DNA Tuning
29-02-2012, 06:23 AM
Any chance on a Frankenturbo kit for a B5 S4 John?

Hey sorry I totally missed this post. I have a pair of Frankenturbos about to go into my own B5 S4 =).

So yes indeed I can supply these, in a Stage 3 kit as well if you are interested. I also do all sort of tuning for these cars.

BL33SU
29-02-2012, 01:38 PM
im confused... is the f23 better then the f4? its cheaper on the frankenturbo website...

Njay
03-03-2012, 09:46 AM
F23 is a bit more expensive once you buy the manifold and the up pipe I think total was like $1700 for the F23 kit

clicht
03-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Have you compeled the first 9n3 install yet....any commets/figures etc...

DNA Tuning
10-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Couple of setups ready soon. =)

Sirocco20348
10-07-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm being hypothetical here...

But what would a person want to do to their car/engine to allow this stage 3 install to be stable?

I'm assuming to run this kind of power you would want a rebuilt engine with stronger internals?

What sort of clutch would be ideal?

I have no idea when it comes to big mods like this.

Njay
10-07-2012, 08:34 PM
im rebuilding with stronger internals, new clutch and lsd

DNA Tuning
10-07-2012, 09:36 PM
The weakest part of the VW/Audi standard engines are the rods.

Most people will however upgrade more than just the rods mainly because to get to the rods you have to completely disassemble the engine anyway, so may as well remachine the block/head, new pistons, etc.

That said, an F4 is not going to be blowing up any 1.8T's any time soon; obviously the larger options as per what Njay has chosen and GT's, etc. will provide enough headroom to cause damage and thus it is recommended to upgrade the internals in these cases.

clicht
29-10-2012, 01:58 PM
trying to send you a PM....can you clear your inbox ? :)

Lucas_R
29-10-2012, 02:31 PM
trying to send you a PM....can you clear your inbox ? :)

Best to email John mate - he doesn't get on the forum much anymore.
Enquiries: john@dnatuning.com.au

clicht
29-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Best to email John mate - he doesn't get on the forum much anymore.
Enquiries: john@dnatuning.com.au

Thanks

DNA Tuning
20-03-2013, 08:18 AM
TWO FRANKENTURBO F4 1.8T Transverse kits remaining at drastically reduced price.

$1999 for the entire kit as listed in the first post (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f171/dna-tuning-frankenturbo-stage-3-kit-introductory-offer-67879.html)!

OilBurna
20-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Does this suit an S3 1.8?

glidn
20-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Just a quick question in regards to Tuning.

So you have a tune available for the early narrow band AGU drive by cable ECU's applicable to this turbo kit?
or to both the F4 and F23?

are there any issue's people would need to worry about running a narrow band ECU with this turbo kit?

h100vw
20-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Does this suit an S3 1.8?

The kit in the first post doesn't fit the S3 but Frankenturbo do make turbos to suit the S3. Have a look at their website and then hit John up for a price.

When it mentions the 8N TT that's the 132kw fwd versions. I think the S3 8N is a typo, the outlet on the S3 is sideways to go around the prop, not downwards like the 2wd stuff.

Gavin

AtlasMk2
16-02-2014, 12:47 AM
any news on the newer F21 kit?