PDA

View Full Version : what can be easily done too the 1.6

vwpolo
30-01-2012, 08:45 PM
im thinking of cheap easy mods to the petrol 1.6 can anybody give me some ideas havent got a lot of money

team_v
30-01-2012, 08:49 PM
There was a thread in the mk4 section not long ago.

Most of the time it is just cheaper to sell up and get a car that came stock with a 1.8T or 2.0T

whiteVR6
30-01-2012, 09:22 PM
There was a thread in the mk4 section not long ago.

Most of the time it is just cheaper to sell up and get a car that came stock with a 1.8T or 2.0T

Caddy only came with a 1.6 petrol engine here though, the rest are diesels

James Dean
11-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Caddy only came with a 1.6 petrol engine here though, the rest are diesels

It's a 1.6 Caddy with a very short gearbox.
Why the hell do you want it to make power?

vwpolo
12-03-2012, 10:35 PM
i dont like being like everybody else, seem on here if its not a turbo or old school it shouldnt be done

Buller_Scott
14-03-2012, 09:07 AM
i dont like being like everybody else, seem on here if its not a turbo or old school it shouldnt be done

hey mate, what are your goals for the car?

are you looking to "stance" it, improve handling, up the power etc? and what is your budget? "modding" cars is very rarely a cheap exercise - yes, there are some things that tinkerers can do to their cars on the cheap, but even a lightly fettled car will take a bit of moulah.

so yeah - if you answer my questions above, perhaps someone might be able to chip in and give some advice :)

p.s. i agree with you. being "like everybody else" is something im not very good with myself. seemingly everyone on the polo forums here have sweet wheels, nice stance, low, etc etc - and that's part of the reason why i havent bothered to "stance" my car, and also why im running with stock bora oem 15 inch wheels.

it's funny - in keeping the car looking as stock as possible, somehow it's "different" when compared with 95% of the other polos on this forum.

vwpolo
17-03-2012, 02:00 AM
p.s. i agree with you. being "like everybody else" is something im not very good with myself. seemingly everyone on the polo forums here have sweet wheels, nice stance, low, etc etc - and that's part of the reason why i havent bothered to "stance" my car, and also why im running with stock bora oem 15 inch wheels.

it's funny - in keeping the car looking as stock as possible, somehow it's "different" when compared with 95% of the other polos on this forum.
Last edited by Buller_Scott; 14-03-2012 at 10:10 AM.yeah learnt that too i airbrushed and stanced a polo club ran on 18's and with full polo cup exhaust back in 07 but got a fare bit of **** on here about it not being that good or modified , as for the caddy i only want a little bit more power to suit the hwy miles and bigger hills , but really starting to think the vw life has changed so much over the last 15 years it might be time for me to get out ..

Buller_Scott
21-03-2012, 12:24 AM
aw nah man - forums are forums are forums, people get a bit offensive and offended alike, when it comes to one's personal taste in mods.

i'd say you'd want to go with a remap for starters - there will be the biggest gains to be had, not really in terms of outright horsepower or torque gains, but addressing the area under the power curve. you might want to talk to john from dna tuning, who is a sponsor of this forum, as i remember him saying that they were doing discounted tunes for people with non-turbo models. maybe give him a pm?

and dont worry about what people used to say about your polo club, back in 07 - the polo forum was a pretty harsh place even when i signed up in 08, with people with a mere remap/downpipe/fmic, stropping around as if they were driving porsches.

where did they go? oh... that's right. the moment their weekly wages could afford it, they went and bought second hand mazda mps3's.

anyway, if you want to mod your caddy, mod it!!!

vwpolo
22-03-2012, 10:43 PM
buller scott thanks looks like it may be kept as a toy for me so will just see what is said from the people you put me on to thanks

whiteVR6
22-03-2012, 10:48 PM
aw nah man - forums are forums are forums, people get a bit offensive and offended alike, when it comes to one's personal taste in mods.

i'd say you'd want to go with a remap for starters - there will be the biggest gains to be had, not really in terms of outright horsepower or torque gains, but addressing the area under the power curve. you might want to talk to john from dna tuning, who is a sponsor of this forum, as i remember him saying that they were doing discounted tunes for people with non-turbo models. maybe give him a pm?

and dont worry about what people used to say about your polo club, back in 07 - the polo forum was a pretty harsh place even when i signed up in 08, with people with a mere remap/downpipe/fmic, stropping around as if they were driving porsches.

where did they go? oh... that's right. the moment their weekly wages could afford it, they went and bought second hand mazda mps3's.

anyway, if you want to mod your caddy, mod it!!!

I really dont think mapping will give any gains without hardware changes
It looks like we will be getting a 1.6 engine shortly which will probably be one of the most modified late 1.6 engines ever.
I can check to see if the extractors off a 2.0 will fit, that would be a cheap mod you could do if it works.

vwpolo
25-03-2012, 11:37 PM
ok thanks that would give me a start point