PDA

View Full Version : My long term project, 1.8T 6N2

Jmac
30-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Ok ill make a start here. It starts with a story which is a bit unfortunate. I checked a 6N2 Polo 14 16V with a misfire. Carried out numerous engine tests, compression which showed down on 3 and 4, lowest on 4. Carried out a cylinder leak test and verified pressure leak in 4. Just to cover all bases my favorite - smoke test. It came out like a Genie in 3 from 4. So cracked head or head gasket or both. Potential can of worms if we go down the head repair, not sure what the bottom end will be like. Ok sourced another AHW engine from a good source and had it delivered. Turns out the one delivered is from a Manual set up and this one is Auto. This wasnt relayed but engine was already extracted for transplant. Result is the crankshaft snout is different with ID smaller on the Manual so Houston we have a problem. Ok after a bit of checking i can do a BBY upgrade, just have to swap over the injection system, EGR, Ignition and coolant flanges. So not a transplant anymore but a conversion. BBY engines a lot dearer so Customer asked if i would be interested in the vehicle. So in the past i pondered doing a conversion with no timeframe. Here it is. Im gonna make this a 1.8T. I already have the 1.8T with lots of turbo, exhaust , clutch and other goodies already. Lots more to source but as i say its long term but look forward to sharing it.:cool:

Cheers
Jmac

Jarred
30-01-2012, 07:49 PM
will be good to see! should be a fun little toy!

Jmac
30-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Cheers mate, im looking forward to making this something. Shame it happened the way it did but look forward to making something that could have landed on the tip be something we can talk about. Just love the shape and always have, ill also keep the twin dash binnacle, i liked that, they only made this for 2 years and not many get modded over here, plenty back in Blighty but funny thing is i had emigrated before they were produced so never got to see that usual culprits do it large over there!!
Ill post pics as it all takes place, starting soon as i already have the engine out of this
Cheers
Jmac

Bora Sport
30-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Cool. I agree. I think the shape is nice, particularly in yellow. Look forward to this one.

VWindahouse
31-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Nice one Jimmy! But you know what they say

:pics:

Smead
31-01-2012, 07:18 AM
I'll be following this thread with great Intrest !

jets
31-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Just love the shape and always have, ill also keep the twin dash binnacle, i liked that, Jmac

I likewise love the styling, better IMO than the later ones except perhaps the current one.
I will also follow this thread with interest.

GoLfMan
31-01-2012, 11:30 AM
nice! Make sure you put plenty of photos up Jimmy!

Umai Naa!!
31-01-2012, 06:16 PM
*Subscribes*

Also a fan of the 6N2's shape.

jasn78
02-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Subscribed Jimmy and if you want a free set of hands let me know

Jmac
06-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Ok folks here is a couple of pics to get started, i already have the 16v 1.4 mill extracted.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/P1010475-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/P1010476-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/P1010477-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/P1010478-1.jpg
Looking forward to having fun with this one. Oh and you 9n3 guys, check out my bonnet strut ftw. hehe.
Jmac

VWindahouse
06-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Bloody hell, she's in good nick mate. Good to see the open heart is under way. P.S. shove your bonnet strut :P

Jmac
07-02-2012, 05:00 PM
I must admit i like Adonventers idea of working the motor before installing, thats the way to do it, engine i have is one i know the history on and know it was hurtling at full noise on a race track before the vehicle it was in decided to crash tackle a barrier, low k engine so figure if it will perform like my A3 does at the moment on stage one ill be more than happy till that wears off haha, yep i know it will.
Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
09-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Yeah going to keep this like i diary i think, now im going to start with making up a needs and got list. Some stuff will be scarce and will be locating them from the UK, looking forward to raking for bits and bobs along the way.
Ill try and update with pics of each stage so not to confuse because when this thing is in itll be tight and lots of effort will be hidden.
Ive seen a fair bit of rough notching of chassis legs to accomodate the 5 gear casing on the cable shift trans. Ive spoke to a gun fabricator and he is keen to come and notch my chassis leg and splice in a stiffner into the arch that gets created for this and this thing will look like its mean to be that way. However that avenue is still being explored as it would be great not to touch the leg at all. First thing is to concentrate on getting it all mounted. I know its a long term project but i can feel the itch to get it under way.lol.

Needs - this list will be huge -
1- 9N3 alloy mount - part number -06a199207G
2- 9N3 mount - part number - 6Q0199167DG
3 - Cable shift Transmission - 02A, 02J or 02R at this stage.
4- Shallow engine sump - Calling Preeny
5- Driveshafts shortened - Contact made for top job
6- If notching chassis - Wizard plasma cutting artist extraordinair.
7- Bigger brakes
8- Front mount intercooler
9 - 16 inch wheels
10 - VR6 fuel pump - ECS Tuning
11- Time!!!
above list will be huge, this is only a start for giggles
Got -
1- The Car!!!
2- AGU 1.8T mill
3- Stage 1 clutch kit
4- ECU, but no Golf loom as yet, however i do have a Passat 1.8T APU loom, im sure i can fettle that
5- Turbo k03
6-Manual pedal box from a 6n2
7- Gearstick remote and cables - 1 from a 6n2 and one from an A3 1.8T
Thatll do for starters
Cheers
Jmac

h100vw
09-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Yeah going to keep this like i diary i think, now im going to start with making up a needs and got list. Some stuff will be scarce and will be locating them from the UK, looking forward to raking for bits and bobs along the way.
Ill try and update with pics of each stage so not to confuse because when this thing is in itll be tight and lots of effort will be hidden.
Ive seen a fair bit of rough notching of chassis legs to accomodate the 5 gear casing on the cable shift trans. Ive spoke to a gun fabricator and he is keen to come and notch my chassis leg and splice in a stiffner into the arch that gets created for this and this thing will look like its mean to be that way. However that avenue is still being explored as it would be great not to touch the leg at all. First thing is to concentrate on getting it all mounted. I know its a long term project but i can feel the itch to get it under way.lol.

Needs - this list will be huge -
1- 9N3 alloy mount - part number -06a199207G
2- 9N3 mount - part number - 6Q0199167DG
3 - Cable shift Transmission - 02A, 02J or 02R at this stage.
4- Shallow engine sump - Calling Preeny
5- Driveshafts shortened - Contact made for top job
6- If notching chassis - Wizard plasma cutting artist extraordinair.
7- Bigger brakes
8- Front mount intercooler
9 - 16 inch wheels
10 - VR6 fuel pump - ECS Tuning
11- Time!!!
above list will be huge, this is only a start for giggles
Got -
1- The Car!!!
2- AGU 1.8T mill
3- Stage 1 clutch kit
4- ECU, but no Golf loom as yet, however i do have a Passat 1.8T APU loom, im sure i can fettle that
5- Turbo k03
6-Manual pedal box from a 6n2
7- Gearstick remote and cables - 1 from a 6n2 and one from an A3 1.8T
Thatll do for starters
Cheers
Jmac

Got A3 loom here somewhere Jimmy. It's yours if you want it.

Gavin

Jmac
09-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Got A3 loom here somewhere Jimmy. It's yours if you want it.

Gavin
Gav absobloody luteley mate!!!! Ill see ya tmw.
Choice
Jmac

h100vw
09-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Gav absobloody luteley mate!!!! Ill see ya tmw.
Choice
Jmac

About 12 ish. Will bring the loom if I find it tomorrow, if not I'll get it out over the weekend.

Gavin

Jmac
10-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Will update my list but have reserved a 6 speed TDi Gearbox to slam into this wee animal. Gav also dropped off some of the loom today ftw.
Cheers
Jmac

kaanage
10-02-2012, 09:40 PM
An 02M? Won't the gear spacings be wrong for a gasser?

Jmac
11-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Yep they wont be "wrong" but different to phrase it correctly for this particular project. This isnt going to be normal so not looking for normal. The diesel box will be taller yes therefore wont have the low acceleration the Petrol one does but will utilise mid range a lot better and not get out of puff like the petrol ones either. Diff centre will be way stronger than the petrol too for the win. Look itll be interesting to see what its like and ifs not suiting ill source a petrol one, at least ill have all the mounts to make that possible if that becomes the case.
Thanks for the input, the more the merrier i say, its a big project and im more than happy to have ideas thrown into the ring and the above is one.
Cheers
Jmac

Bora Sport
12-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Depending on what wheel/tyre combination that you run will effect this too won't it? Is it the case that the 6N2 runs a smaller overall diameter wheel an tyre package that the car that the 6 speed comes out of? So that will lower the overall gearing which should compensate to a degree for the taller overall ratios in the diesel 'box perhaps?

h100vw
12-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Jimmy is going to be fitting bigger wheels to get some decent brakes onboard.

That's how I'd read it though.

Gavin

Depending on what wheel/tyre combination that you run will effect this too won't it? Is it the case that the 6N2 runs a smaller overall diameter wheel an tyre package that the car that the 6 speed comes out of? So that will lower the overall gearing which should compensate to a degree for the taller overall ratios in the diesel 'box perhaps?

Jmac
12-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Jimmy is going to be fitting bigger wheels to get some decent brakes onboard.

That's how I'd read it though.

Gavin
Ok ladies i have reserved a 5 speed Tdi box correction not 6 speed, my bad , still taller though. with wheels ill be going minimum of 16 inch wheels as ill have a 1.8T sump trailing on the ground. I have costed up the Shallow sump with Preeny and im heading the steel option. Il paint it to match my already painted inlet ( thanks VWINDAHOUSE) and my LARGE exhaust manifold will also be painted to match. First mission before i get to mounting it will be shielding the firewall and brake pipes as the std engine has the downpipe at the front as opposed to the hot turbo at the back.
Also to add to the reserve list is the remote, gearstick , cable and pedal cluster from a Manual one, just to add to the fun mines is an auto or sorry was an auto.

Cheers for now

Jmac

vwthunder
13-02-2012, 09:35 AM
my LARGE exhaust manifold will also be painted to match.

What is this large exhaust manifold you speak of Jimmy :P

Bora Sport
14-02-2012, 09:47 AM
I would have thought that you couldn't go too much bigger in overall diameter without running into fouling problems. I guess that it depends upon which car the gearbox comes from. The Polo GTI runs a 45 aspect ratio tyre on a 16 inch rim. I thought the Mk V's etc run a 55 aspect ratio or more on a 16 inch rim but I could be wrong. Obviously if the gearbox is out of say a 9N3 Polo then my theory is out the window.

Jmac
14-02-2012, 07:02 PM
16 inch wheels will pretty much have to fit and they will, as the tough ole Agu might be scraping on the ground, as it is ill be fitting a shallow sump courtesy of Preeny when the time comes. Standard this has 15 inch wheels on it and is like a shopping trolley. Anyway dont worry yourselves too much about what the diesel box will be like, the mill will be producing enough to cope ;)

Cheers
Jmac

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Ok ill start with some pics for your enjoyment and mines of course. Yes and ill reinforce this is a long term project, saying this as im only just in from another hard slog. Not sure where ill pull the time from but ah well here we go anyway.
Below is the first task really, heatshielding this area
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/P1010510-1.jpg
And here it is, the Mill. Say no more.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/P1010504-1.jpg
This Hairdryer will do the job for now. Straight off a 9N3 BJX . Very Very low mileage on this Turbolader.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/P1010506-1.jpg
This standard sump just wont do the job so will be swapping out.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/P1010509-1.jpg
This is the sump i have in mind, enjoy
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/281856_10150366956669992_294598024991_10-1.jpg
This part is fun, here is my front bar cover, that nice centre grille will have the front mount housed in there, what front mount you ask??? Thats the fun part. Im going to fit an intercooler from a hyundai Iload diesel van. Sounds mental yep, the whole project is really so why not, nothing to lose but trial and if its no good, well ill try again!!! Ill post some iload pics, pretty much will be a perfect fit, believe it or not but i spied this on Greg from GSLs van ages ago.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/P1010503-1.jpg

Jmac

VWindahouse
14-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Let the long term games begin lol! If I know you bud you'll be working on this bad boy in your sleep if need be.

Jmac
18-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Had a chat to a contact at DCI performance products, ordered myself a sheet of Sheet Hot XT - 5000 to insulate the firewall from the hot hairdryer once its in there. Also ordered some lagging for my brake lines etc. Fair bit will need insulation as this bad boys exhaust was meant to be at the front. Sourced my intercooler but waiting to sell my A3 to fund the purchases for my project. Just on sourcing ive eyed a nice set of brakes from a G60 Corrado too to help stop. Had a chuckle at it today, this thing has no ABS, no traction control or stability hehehe. Should be a fun ride for sure ;)

Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
03-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Gearbox, light custom flywheel, mounts and stuff on their way soon :) Been pondering over the release system too. This being an auto ill be trying to do what i have done with previous conversions ive done, removing the short pin from the pedal box and fitting the larger pin to accomodate the extra pedal, lot less hassle really, did this with a certain forum members car lately but no names as he hasnt let the cat out of the bag i dont think. Anyway ill keep the cable to save having the nuisance of a trying to fettle on a clutch master. Going to run a hydraulic to cable conversion kit hopefully, contact in Glasgow to verify, and same contact to get back to me about a possibility of a Sierra Cosworth intercooler, hmm.. Once im happy it all fits ill remove it all and concentrate on getting the firewall right, wire it up, will remove dash for ease. I have plans for the dash at a later stage, its a really crazy idea so will keep it simple for now. Live tune already talked about but got a few tricks to do to the mill before any of that happens. Pretty much trying to keep this up to date as a log of progress even if it is going to be a long process, but look forward to sharing it
Ps got my inlet manifold back from VWindahouse, Niceeeee job!!!! cheers mate!!! pics to follow of course

Cheers
Jmac

team_v
03-03-2012, 05:24 PM
This thing is going to be an absolute handful mate.
Can't wait to see more updates on it.

Jmac
06-03-2012, 01:58 PM
No cosworth cooler, ah well. I have other ideas. Anyway on the upside my hydraulic to cable conversion parts on their way!! just waiting for the Gearbox and mounts to arrive.
Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
08-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Update , hopefully hearing back today about a cool set of Gti clocks from the UK, the clocks are so cool , kms and MPH!! whoohoo.
Cheers
Jmac

Bora Sport
09-03-2012, 10:46 AM
I have a hydraulic to cable converter for the gearbox in the garage. Sounds like you are sorted though.

Jmac
10-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks Tony, ill keep that in mind if it goes belly up. Appreciate it.
Cheers
Jmac

---------- Post added 10-03-2012 at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-03-2012 at 08:43 PM ----------

:banana: Here is the latest update for the Polo. Im crafting these seats in her, out of an Alfa 156. This is one sitting in place, but not bolted in, pretty nice fit dont you think?
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/03/P1010554-1.jpg
Next is a pic of some more sourced hardware. The Cable shift for a 1.8T along with the cable shift from a 6N2, then 2 will become 1.
Pedal cluster too. Mum also rang and my clocks arrived at hers safely and she reckons they are very tidy and from mum thats real cool, looking forward to them arriving too whoohoo
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/03/P1010555-2.jpg
Enjoy, i am !!!!
Jmac

team_v
10-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Seats look pretty good Jimmy.
Glad to hear the clocks are in good nick.

Jmac
11-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Seats look pretty good Jimmy.
Glad to hear the clocks are in good nick.

Ah thanks mate, appreciate that. Just to add to the excitement mate ive just noticed they are Momo seats for the win. Pretty happy with that score. So ive decide now to go the extra mile and craft the rears in too!!! as if the build isnt going to be taxing enough. The rears look super cool and of course ill post up pics and install pics. Clocks will be here by the end of the week.

Here is a pic of the headrest on the drivers seat
Enjoy
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/03/P1010574-1.jpg
Cheers
Jmac

Golf Loon
12-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Mad Scottish Bugger.
Glad you are still having some fun.

GoLfMan
12-03-2012, 04:40 PM
looking good Jimmy!

Water Boy
15-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Good work mate!

Jmac
19-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Here is what the courier delivered today!!! im over the moon with their condition. Oh and my mothers wrapping skills 10 out of 10.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/03/P1010601-1.jpg
6N2 Gti clocks for the win, miles and Kilometeres.
Cheers

Jmac

VWindahouse
19-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Officer I swear I was only doing 100 :emo_baghead:

Damn sexy clocks my friend!

jasn78
19-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Ant always wondered what the reaction will be to that, guess we will find out soon:)

Jmac
19-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Ant always wondered what the reaction will be to that, guess we will find out soon:)

Hey Jase not sure about soon, but yep you are right we will find out LOL, maybe the roadworks might employ me with it, coz im sure in first and no doubt second itll be able to dig the road ;)

Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
28-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Came home yesterday to find a skid on my driveway with some smashing hardware. New custom mounts, custom light flywheel and TDI Mk3 Getriebe!! check out the pics
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/03/P1010636-1.jpg
Getriebe for the win, oh and a nice performance clutch will live in there
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/03/P1010635-1.jpg
Custom mounts before i go crazy painting them
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/03/P1010633-1.jpg
New Custom flywheel
Ok some engine hardware on the cards now before i make a start to this, but when time is made available ill be removing the dash to get the pedal box and all the wiring right, but really chuffed with my list so far
Im thinking i might look into a parachute too ;)

Cheers
Jmac

VWindahouse
29-03-2012, 09:22 AM
May want to increase your life insurance at some stage there Jimmy :P

team_v
29-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Loving the updates on this.
Can't wait to see it finished and hopefully out to some of our laps sessions.

Jmac
30-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Loving the updates on this.
Can't wait to see it finished and hopefully out to some of our laps sessions.
Mate thanks and ill be super keen once this is done, its a LONG way away, but itll be coming out for sure whether it be trailered there or driven there, plan at the moment is street /track so hopefully itll be driven out. Glad you are enjoying the updates, the minute a bit of bling arrives ill post up, im heaps exited about it.
Hopefully once i have all my outstanding customer conversions and upgrades in check ill be putting some quality time aside for this
Thanks for looking

Jmac

Jmac
31-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Ok guys, spent some serious time last night on deciding what way to go power wise on this project. Happy to announce this machine will be boasting a JBS04 Turbo Courtesy Of Gav ( H100VW) . I feel this projects has just turned up a serious notch, any ideas where i can get a parachute?? LOl.
All i need now istime to get it under way properly, i got to get my Mk3 on the road first so that may halt it slightly.
Cheers
Jmac

vwthunder
01-04-2012, 11:57 PM
boasting a JBS04 Turbo Courtesy Of Gav ( H100VW) . I feel this projects has just turned up a serious notch, any ideas where i can get a parachute?? LOl.
Cheers
Jmac

Doh I would have bought it, I was told by gavin he didnt want to sell it. Did you twist his arm, did you get the manifold also ?

h100vw
02-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Doh I would have bought it, I was told by gavin he didnt want to sell it. Did you twist his arm, did you get the manifold also ?

I was going to sit on it Troy but I don't reckon my masterplan would make it to fruition now. The manifold was cracked but kaneda had it and welded it up. That's running on his Golf now.

I reckon the Frankenturbo would be as good.

Gavin

Jmac
02-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Troy, mate i had no idea i had been searching and to and fro all weekend with all sorts of options and only just remembered this was around. As for the manifold question ill have an inlet and exhaust thatll have you all talking ;)
Had some dramas with the mounts as they were for an 058 block and i have 06A of course. i have an APU motor but dont want to use that so ive ordered a BJX block mount and will fit that to see how close it is and then either modify it or have this one machined down till it fits then have it redone instead of having it alloy. We will see.
Cheers for now
Jmac

vwthunder
02-04-2012, 08:37 PM
No Thats cool, it was ages ago, what is the inlet and exhaust manifold your using, is it a secret lol

Jmac
13-04-2012, 09:40 PM
New part arrived today, cable to hyd conversion for the cable shift box i have.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/04/P1010663-1.jpg

Thats gonna work a treat. Anyway lots of more thought going into the thing and lots of ideas. Ive had the mill sitting in place using my newly bought 9N3 engine bracket, now on the hunt for a Polo Gti engine mount itself, the custom mounts were for an 058 block so water pump in the way on my 06A, not to worry will get round it. Bracket will need a possible shave. Engine is now on my stand and ive stripped off the manifolds, goodbye stock manifolds im sure you did your job well in the Golf you came from. Gearbox sits in ok without notching the chassis rail so far but my old shafts are still in there so ill get rid of them soon too once i free up some time, so much work on at the moment and this thing is teasing me now. Idea now is to get my ole faithful mk3 back on the road 1st then im into this
Ill keep you posted.
So much to consider with this project
Cheers
Jmac

VR6pitcrew
14-04-2012, 08:04 AM
This is such an exciting project, wow, so good to read the passion you have for this, nice when your planning and doing something out of VW love not just to earn a living.
can't wait to see this project on the road, also enjoy reading how it is coming together :)

Jmac
30-04-2012, 07:07 PM
As mentioned its a long termer , but must admit im stinging to get at it now, hoping to free up some weekends to come and my wifes uni stuff reqs me to be off every Monday pretty soon so that might be the go. Latest edition is the JBS04 which i have now, just need the manifold for it now, thats in progress. Ive decided the original AGU inlet will be going on which Anthony ( VWindahouse) kindly painted for me, and ill scallop the bonnet landing panel, i have no need to go like the S3 and have the exit to the other side. I know it can be done and will be. Man having the engine on a stand at the moment is teasing me to tear it down, must hold myself back!!!!

Cheers
Jmac

clicht
03-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Jmac, it will be am awesome project...keep us updated

Jmac
05-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Jmac, it will be am awesome project...keep us updated
Yeah the more goodies i get for it the bigger the itch to get started on it. Ive also put an order in for Regal Autosport camber shims as i might have something in the pipeline that will need the use of these.
Here they are
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/05/ezshim-1.jpg
As always will keep you all posted
Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
24-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Ok free to add my latest addition, was waiting to all payments and post was sorted but all good now, Set of Porsche D90s on the way!!! Next task is getting the adapters from Raceland, they dont send to Aus, ive hit my Sherman tank mate to see if he can have them posted from his dad in New Orleans fingers crossed otherwise it will be double the price from the UK. I have my parents there but the Uk on sell per axle, the states sell the whole shebang. Ive also got a mate who had a VR6 i looked after over ther when it was brand new , its now under cover and im hoping to get the caliper housings and calipers from it, it has the early brakes so will be 280mm for the win. Ill rebuild the calipers and be good. Im gonna opt for the 6n2 Gti rear brakes to go from drums to discs. All good. There hasnt been any time of late but have some things in place to fix that so will be on a roll soon, really stinging to get the spanner hands on this
Standby
Cheers
Jmac

VR6man
07-06-2012, 12:10 AM
What crazy build, I love it.
Porsche D90s will look sweet.

Jmac
10-06-2012, 09:35 PM
D90s arrived safe and sound and in great nick, pics to follow, one chuffed punter here :) hunting down the adapters, Raceland in the US sell the whole set but wont send to us here Arghhh. Can get from the UK but a fair but dearer, if anyone has a link im all ears.

Cheers
Jmac

clicht
10-06-2012, 10:25 PM
what made you go with the JBS04 , as opposed to a frankenturbo etc....

h100vw
10-06-2012, 10:32 PM
what made you go with the JBS04 , as opposed to a frankenturbo etc....

It's secondhand, came off my A3 done less than 10000ks, so like new but a fraction of the 2006 price I paid.

Gavin

Jmac
11-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Im happy with the choice, since making the choice ive had a look into the making of the JBS04. Check out the JBS website, pretty impressive. Gavs A3 was a rocket and had a fair bit more weight than the 6n2 has so should be a fun handful.
Cheers
Jmac

GoLfMan
11-06-2012, 12:54 PM
holy hell. an 6n2 with a JBS turbo'd 1.8t. This thing is going to be a bloody weapon

brad
11-06-2012, 01:55 PM
D90s arrived safe and sound and in great nick, pics to follow, one chuffed punter here hunting down the adapters, Raceland in the US sell the whole set but wont send to us here Arghhh. Can get from the UK but a fair but dearer, if anyone has a link im all ears.

Use a dropbox / forwarding provider

Jmac
11-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Use a dropbox / forwarding provider
Hey mate you have my attention pm sent :)
Cheers
Yeah Josh totally mate ;)

Jmac

Jmac
11-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Got my High flow exhaust manifold coming now been puting it off as i was hoping to get one made but my Dad has sourced one which is an ATP he reckons, be happy with that, also be really happy fitting it off tha car, last couple ive done were on the car and was a tight fit, 2 nuts are a pain and need to be done first before the rest, ill be taking note when fitting mines off the car. Also have an FK single DTM wiper system set up on its way. That really brings back memories, im sure i hava a mid life kicking in Hahaha.
Cheers
Jmac

clicht
11-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Sooooooo nice...awesome.
Looking forward to seeing it completed :)...

clicht
18-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Jimmy, any movement....following with interest :)

Jmac
18-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Jimmy, any movement....following with interest :)
Not really, i havent really made a proper start to this so far with my full diary ive inly been able to gather parts, research etc. I am a step ahead having the engine and box out, new engine is on a stand and torments me every time i walk ito the shed, now that im getting some Saturdays back the tinkering will begin ;) Gearbox is also tormenting me sitting under the engine stand haha. So much can and probably will be done to both units before it sits in the pointy end. As its not a Gti im gathering 6N2 Gti bits from the UK too, Couple of these conversions have been done in the Uk but want this one to be a bit different even if its just the way its dressed.
Hopefully have some follow ups soon, im super keen dont worry about that ;)

Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
27-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Minor update in terms of gathering swag, FK single wiper kit arrived!! and have snared a set of Hubcentric spacer adapters for the wheels. Probably only benefit of having flu, tons of net time hunting for bits. Looks like i might be ditching the AGU inlet and going something way better. Hoping to hear about a full Corrado caliper and housing set for 280mm brakes.
Not long till spanners touch this thing. Once better and all caught up itll be on.

Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
07-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Have some updates, as i use a workshop for bigger jobs now and the rest mobile it was time to tidy up the shed and make room for the Polo. Here is a couple of pics after it had a bath for the last time being a 1.4,
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/07/101_2389-1.jpg,
That badge will have to come off i think ;)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/07/101_2388-1.jpg
Here she is in its now home for a while up on stands.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/07/101_2397-1.jpg
Here is a cheeky pic of the mill under wraps at the moment, by the way that flag was personally signed by Frank Beila back at Donington when i went there with Audi. Bit of useless for ya but all well has a special place for me so seemed fitting it covered a special thing underneath it ;)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/07/101_2391-1.jpg

Couple of things left to do on my other cars then it is on. This post will merge as well to the resto threads as it will soon be for real

Cheers
Jmac

VWindahouse
08-07-2012, 08:26 AM
She's a fine little specimen mate, can't wait to see this project really rocking and rolling!

clicht
10-07-2012, 10:40 PM
She's a fine little specimen mate, can't wait to see this project really rocking and rolling!

ditto :)

Jmac
11-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Dash coming out this weekend. New idea on mounting the mill. I don't want it sloshing around so if plan pulls off I'm not chassis mounting it . Picking up the items tmw and will decide from there. If it works it will be heaps more rigid in the power plant bay;)
Updates and pics soon .
Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
15-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Hi guys, had a top weekend and finshed it off with going to the RACQ motorfest which ended up with my wife wanting an MG, thats pretty good news though as i was brought up with them , roadsters and MGBs several and 2 factory V8s so ill be sent this way very easily. Anyway back to the topic at hand, had a spre hr or so and removed the dash, man these 6n2s have so many hidden screws!!! anyway all good she is out nice and clean. As you can see the Auto pedal set up and the auto shift, make the most of that guys, they are goooone!!! Bit dissapointed with my new pedal box, half of the stuff missing, ah well you get that.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/07/P1010750-1.jpg
I then spent some some time looking at it as you do, then decide why should i tear out all of the 6n2 ECU loom especially this one as its all looped into the Auto it had, no way what a task and for what?? so ive decided to go my own way and make it all still look stock. New loom location as shown
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/07/P1010752-1.jpg
Itll all tie in very nicely an look Mk4 gti stock. There is a few suprises coming though as my mounting idea has to happen now, got a gun fabricator gonna help me, im making a template and will unstitch the engine mount cradles from a Mk3 subframe and itll all be welded into the 6N2 frame, so itll be as rigid as a mofo. . Front mount instead of a dogbone now too FTW, only thing is how to?? first idea is seeing as i have a lot of Mk3 bits might modify the front crossmember from it and fab it into the 6N2 so it can take a front mount like a Mk3 or ill go the same as a Lupo brother in the Uk and weld in a custom crossmember of my own. Also scored a gun Mig at the weekend so thats gonna be mega handy im sure!!.
Thanks for looking and next episode will be looming up and then a clean up, firewall heat shielding, accel cable, and clutch, all of which must be done before the dash goes back in, oh and i have even more suprises coming in that area!!!
Cheers
Jmac

VWindahouse
15-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Next Saturday can't come fast enough :toast: great stuff mate! Any pics of the new wheels?

h100vw
15-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Moving in the right direction Jimmy!

I reckon I have got pedal box bits mate. Shall I dig them out?

Gavin

Jmac
15-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Cheers mate, yeah ill take a pic for the next episode. i have a nice idea for them, will make them 2 tone, seen one done in the uk 2 tone and man they look good. Must admit got a bit scared with the rear offset. Will be a fair bit of stretch going on.
cheers
Jmac

Jmac
15-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Moving in the right direction Jimmy!

I reckon I have got pedal box bits mate. Shall I dig them out?

Gavin
Cheers Gav the pedal box is a different animal on this, i was expecting the old hook type that you probably have, mate ill definatley have a look at yours, its the time whilst i have all the plenum out and dash out. I see on the firewall a weird cutout for what looks like a hyd set up, im gonna ponder that too, currently checking every clutch set up these ever got. i got the hyd to cable kit but if the hyd is an easy bolt on then that will be easy and i can bend and flare pipes no probs. Even thinking at this stage it might be the go to fit a master off a golf??? Not many of these been done , so that makes it very interesting
Cheers
Jmac

h100vw
15-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Pretty sure I have all that crap from the A3. I have the servo and MC too.

I'll dig it out and you can have it, in case any of it is useful.

Gavin

Cheers Gav the pedal box is a different animal on this, i was expecting the old hook type that you probably have, mate ill definatley have a look at yours, its the time whilst i have all the plenum out and dash out. I see on the firewall a weird cutout for what looks like a hyd set up, im gonna ponder that too, currently checking every clutch set up these ever got. i got the hyd to cable kit but if the hyd is an easy bolt on then that will be easy and i can bend and flare pipes no probs.
Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
02-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Spacers turned up today, oh yeah. Sorry for lack of updates but playing catch up with work big time, but good to be doing most of it on a hoist now FTW. Anyway picking up my spare Mk3 Golf subframe tmw, then ill be unstiching the mounts and chucking it away, the mounts will be finding a new home on the 6N2 subframe, should be interesting. Got my new Mig so im sure itll get a workout.
Pics to come with stuff, other hardware on the cards, just been so busy. still i did say long term, must get my skates on or get more inspired, coz ive eyed something else im keen on so must keep at this, must must must.!!!!!
Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
03-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Ok here is some pics of the D90s test fitted minus tyres
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/P1010821-1.jpg
Tried a twisty on that i have
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/P1010822-1.jpg
And now one half of the loom is in its new hime through the bulkhead, pretty happy with that. Other half will be routed tmw. Then ill make a start on terminating it to the original loom. New subframe here now too so will unstitch that. Ill most likely remove the 6n2 subframe tmw too and get it ready for its new mounts and task of holding the AGU lump.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/P1010823-1.jpg

Cheers
Jmac

noone
03-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Looking good, both sets of rims have a real match to the car from those shots.
Will it be sitting low?

Jmac
03-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks mate i think i do prefer the D90s, and the staggered fitment im a fan of. Yeah itll be low, riding on coil overs to get the desired height, im also fitting a hybrid sump as that lump will be sitting low too.
Cheers
Jmac

Lito
03-08-2012, 07:02 PM
... still i did say long term, must get my skates on or get more inspired, coz ive eyed something else im keen on so must keep at this, must must must.!!!!!
Cheers
Jmac

mate looking great, if u need some more inspiration you can always take my car out for another spin. it pulls even harder that gav loaded the revised tune!

clicht
03-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Do the twisties...although both awesome rims

Jarred
04-08-2012, 10:33 AM
I like the D90's, suit it nicely I think!

Keep at it. this will be a cool and super fun car when its done!

Jmac
04-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Yep agree on the wheels, i love them on this car, be a bit of stretch happening on the back but ah well we can break a few rules hey. Dont worry man ill finish this thing, When i get the mounts welded onto the 6N2 subframe ill be super happy then, its just at that stage where you go why did i do this?? its a massive task as its going into a totally different platform . Ive spent a few hrs today just looking at it summing up a couple of things. It could be chassis mounted with the special mounts i got, well with some pretty significant adjustments as they were for a 058 block and my AGU is a 06A block. But i just love the idea of having it on the subframe like a mk3, itll free up room and be heaps more rigid.
Laters
Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
18-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Managed to do a bit to the rocket today, sorry no pics yet maybe tmw, i got the AGU loom where i want it and all ready in the engine bay, Have another new hole to make for some of the loom into the inside of the car but pretty happy with the effort. Nicely done in conduit. Really trying to make it look like its meant to be there and that will add to the time. Looking at doing a little more tmw. Plans are to integrate the loom to the 6n2 loom. Done plenty of golfs and stuff this way but never anything like this so should be a challenge. Being a totally different platform makes it a shade cooler. Still havent got my Mk3 subframe , maybe this week and my new welder not here yet either. Ah well, all in time.
Cheers for now :)
Jmac

vwthunder
19-08-2012, 10:59 AM
What are the Specs of the Porsche twists Jimmy ??

VWindahouse
20-08-2012, 09:08 PM
D90's look the biz fo shiz mate!!

What size rubber will you have to run??

Jmac
29-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Ok folks have an update, although it may seem little , this little is actually quite a lot. I picked up my Mk3 subframe which i bought to Cannab. Ive institched the 2 engine cradles for the engine mounts left rear and gearbox rear. bothe subframes are similar but narrower, so the cradles will be in a different spot and must measure point to point 600mm. The 6N2 subframe will be in and out a few times to find the right spot, next conundrum is the engine front mount. I wont be having a dogmount like other 6N conversions have. Im hoping to fit a mount to the front and have a front crossmember. This also will be custom. Not an easy platform to work with really. Ok i thought getting a side mount casting from an inlune audi would bolt up even if it meant fitting a canted oil filter housing which i also have but nope, no good, the bolt pattern on the 058 block is different from the 06A block. So stay tuned for that part.
Anyway have a look at the pics of the latest
Enjoy
Here is the 2 subframes, rear 6N2 and front MK3

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/P1010851-1.jpg

Here is the cradle i detached from the Mk3 frame
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/P1010852-1.jpg

And here is the cradles roughly sitting on the 6N2 frame , you should get the general idea where my heads at

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/P1010853-1.jpg

Cheers
Jmac

VWindahouse
30-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Another piece to the jigsaw puzzle hey mate :grin: I have a feeling this is building much welcomed speed!

Umai Naa!!
30-08-2012, 09:44 AM
I hope the front member you use for the front engine mount is a lot neater than some of the conversions I've seen! I came across a VR6 conversion in a 6N1 that was very very rough.

Not too far away now, Jimmy!

Jmac
30-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Hey Umai Naa! yeah you are right ive seen a couple of rear roughies, ive really no need to have it rough, not in a big rush, however must ask the one you saw how was the engine mounted?? did he have this idea im utilising?? using MK3 cradles on the 6N2 frame?? Nearly all the pics ive been able to check out of a 1.8T conv they fail to show the mounts, haha probanly coz they wre rough hey?? who knows
Cheers
Jmac

Umai Naa!!
31-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Yeah, he had it mounted the same as a MK3 Golf. He made his own front member to take the front engine mount. Wasn't pretty.

You could probably use the MK3 Golf one, but it looks like the front chassis legs are a bit higher up on the 6N1/2 compared to the MK3 Golf. I'd have to go outside, and have a look at my pair to confirm it.

Jmac
31-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks mate, i got one already and its way different. Legs are also narrower, but been thinking of modifiying the MK3 one too though, not sure yet.
Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
07-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Looks like ill not fit the Alfa seats to this car but ill be far away from ditching them. Ive Scored a full set of MK4 Golf Gti Recaros, rocking horse seats. Right place right time, Stoked!!!! These seats are hotter than the preverbial. Im a massive Recaro fan and when these came up i instantly thought, they are going in the Polo!!!!
Pics to come
Cheers
Jmac

clicht
07-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Awesome, Im also a massive recaro fan....pic's

vwthunder
08-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Awesome, Im also a massive recaro fan....pic's

They were stock in MK4 GTI's

Not sure if all of them had Recaros tho

Jmac
09-09-2012, 06:18 PM
MK4s came with a few different options, leather, recaros with black check , grey check and red check, mind you who cares they are cool . Havent seen many red check so couldnt resist, ive sat them in today and have to say im super stoked, i have to of course do some mods to fit them properly but when they are in the are gonna suit this car to the max. Happy daze.
Pics to come and im sure there will be some haters, it is a forum after all ;)
Main thing is im happy , yeha!!!!! I got pics so ill load up what i can later
Cheers
Jmac

Umai Naa!!
13-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Some motivation for you, Jimmy.

http://cdn.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Jeroen-8614.jpg
http://cdn.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Jeroen-8307.jpg

Jmac
14-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Wow thats another level.
My Hybrid sump set up arrived today. Pretty happy with it, i jumped on an ECS buy up by a customer of mines so got a sweet deal. ECS Hybrid with modified pick the works
Here is a sneak peek at the front seats, u get the general idea, im fitting the whole set,
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/09/P1010854-1.jpg
Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
24-09-2012, 10:20 PM
New Hybrid sump here now, pics to come. Also have next week off. Most heading off with family, the rest playtime in the shed!!!
Updates and pics soon.
I know its not much of an update but it something considering i have naff all time of late. Loads planned for the time i have with it though
Cheers
Jmac

dylan8
25-09-2012, 11:26 AM
ooo similar to what I had planned for my gfs polo using my old mk4 seats.
Could you please document any changes you did to the seats to make them fit. Got the rears in too?

Jmac
03-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Whilst on holiday ive had the chance to have a bit of a play with the 6N2. Decide before i get the wiring right ill get rid of a job thats preying on my mind and that being mounting the thing. I was looking at subframe mounting it so put the sandwich together, Mill and gearbox and slotted into the bay to do the measurements. While the gearbox mount would have been a goodie the engine side is proving to be really tight and very close to the steering rack, lon shot doable but have opted to retry the chassis mounting. Gearbox one on but the engine side proving to be heaps fun. I got a 9N3 GTi alloy side mount but it way too wide , so its getting shaved down to see if itll do along with a 9N3 and 6N2 hybrid chassis mount. If not its back to the drawing board, here is a pic of it sitting in place to test fit with the gearbox mounted and the mill sitting on stands to let me play with it and have no engine crane in the way. Heading off for the next few days to finish holiday off but feel progress has been made, im not concerned about the wiring as its my favorite part so best till last
Also pay no attention to the grubbiness of the mill and gearbox, these will be well clean on the final install :0
Enjoy
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/P1010880-2.jpg

Cheers
Jmac

GoLfMan
04-10-2012, 08:21 AM
looks a bit of a squeeze in there!

Jmac
04-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Yes josh you are so right it is very much a squeeze in there. I found out how much today. Bit of spare time before we head off for a few days. Ive had a rethink the gearbox stays as is, im happy with that but mounting the drivers side to chassis is a total PITA. So i messed around and have decided its gonna be where i originally thought and mounted to the subframe. Hopefully using the gearbox mount from a Mk3 ive positioned the mil where i want it, marked the mount and itll be welded to the subframe. Some slotting of the alloy engine mount engine side and a modified mount it should end up here
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/P1010882-1.jpg
Then with that being sorted then had a play whilst the engine is where i want it eventually , i then tried the timing cover for clearance
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/P1010883-1.jpg
Happy with that.
So then had a look to see where the ribbed belt would track when built and had a scary moment. Im so glad im going to be using an underdrive pulley set up otherwise the AGU OEM pulley would be no good.
Im happy where it is too so , onto the clearance for the inlet manifold. I thought of using the nicely painted AGU inlet by Anthony (VWINDAHOUSE) but as you will see later its gonna be so tight and ive been doing my head in with intercoolers and what exits to have so its like this, the cool AGU manifold will be for sale and i am going with what i first thought and will be going the 034 twin index manifold and scalloped the landing panel to hopefully suit. Ive heard with this mod that the front may need to sit forward with extensions but dont like that idea. Time will tell
Here it is with a test front panel fit and a scallop to see how the manifold looks
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/P1010885-1.jpg
Definate exit to the pass side reqd now . Everywhere i look with this conversion its change this and move that. Anyway its not meant to have this unit so all good , seeing it with the landing panel on was really good, the mill is going to look so good in there what you think?
Cheers
Jmac

GoLfMan
07-10-2012, 02:16 PM
nice one man, its really looking good :)

clicht
08-10-2012, 12:17 PM
I am loving this thread...car looking good.

Jmac
09-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Minor update, pretty busy at the moment, so have had little time really. That will change. Anyway i was set to order an 034 manifold but had to put funds elswhere for now, so got my Dad sending over a BAM manifold so i can have my throttle body on the pass side as drivers side is way too tight with the AGU set up and i might also be rethinking the mounting oin th right hand side, left is set, drivers is a pain. Stay tuned for that. Few other goodies ordered from back home, but will keep them under wraps for now.
All for now
Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
01-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Just a minor one again after all its a long termer, the mount phase is nightmare as im so against notching the chassis, good freinds back in the motherland have done it that way but im sure ill manage without but with that said thats whats making it a nightmare, now the MK3 mount idea is shelved, im now gonna have and adjustable mount on the drivers side with a Skoda Fabia TDI Console bracket and looks like a Mk3 gearbox mount will be my engine mount!!! yep fun
Ill keep you updated of course, excited about the break at xmas.
Cheers
Jmac

Jarred
01-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Geez, lotsa fiddling around there.

sports racer
03-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Time for some pix please.

Jmac
09-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Dont worry mate more pics a commin!! ive waited since Nov for my inlet to arrive!! My mother posted it Nov from Scotland and its only just got here, only one bracket for the engone which will be a Skoda Fabia diesel one, with a little fettle itll be seet, then ill be measuring up the drivedshast then the wiring begins which is my favorite part. So far im not notching the chassis!!!!! so far!!!!
Stay tuned
Jmac

Jmac
10-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Just a minor update, the manifold did eventually arrive , it was posted November!!.Its a BAM engine manifold so the throttle body can be mounted over gearbox, it was too tight drivers side. Bam isnt bigport though so i either have to cut the runners off and join up with the Bam tank or use adapter gasket, i got next to no room for spacer so might be manifold fabrication. Anyway Engine mount ordered and will be using the fabia diesel one as before mentioned and turning a Mk3 gearbox mount upside down with another plate on an eccentric so i can move stuff around till im happy with posi. Im seeing now that a left hand drive one would have been awesome as there is tons of room pass side for the master cyl and bugger all on the drivers side, its so close to the tappet cover. That will have to be addressed because im sure there will be a fair bit of flex on the engine so thinking about that before i commit to its final posi. Ive Had zero time of late but have been back in the shed and its on again, must admit ive been close to ditching it but would kick myself so dont care how long it takes now :)
Cheers
Jmac

sports racer
20-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Whenever you get tired of working on it just imagine how shi**y you will be in a few years time without it.

And make yourself a good cup of coffee. Everything looks better with a hot cup in your hand.

Cheers and thanks for the updates.

Paul

Golf Loon
28-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Just come across this Jimmy. Looks like you been having fun whilst I have been away. Seems like you have addressed most of the issues. You could consider a late polo GTI inlet manifold which comes out drivers side but straight not kinked.
Should be a weapon when it's done.

Jmac
28-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah mate loads of fun, and ill have more time soon as you will probably read on here too. Anyway, the 9N3 from the BJX is small port pal, the AGU is bigport and i dont really have room to use adapter plates, looks like ill be using AGU runners and BAM tank, the throttle coming out at the right spot. Dont worry progress soon. Few cars i had now shifted along with more time coming should be sweet, just to add im using the recaros in my VR6 now, so im in the hunt for another set or maybe even a set of seats from a 9N3
Cheers
Jmac

Golf Loon
01-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Got a set of vr6 seats that we retrimmed in polo fabric from a late model polo. Can swop em for something if you want. Can't find a photo but they are my website.

Jmac
01-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Got a set of vr6 seats that we retrimmed in polo fabric from a late model polo. Can swop em for something if you want. Can't find a photo but they are my website.
Hmm could be tempted mate, ill check your website boss. Cheers

Jmac
22-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Toying with not worrying about putting this on the road and heading straight for the track with it, less making it look cool for the road?? mind not fully made up yet. All of the cars I needed to off load for now done and gone. Now to get my VR finished then back to this. Time to think. Lots of effort for the registration and public highway being it could be a pull magnet., but on the other hand its a very tidy car and would look tops road finished. Cool track fun though Thoughts?
Cheers
Jmac

sports racer
24-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Has to be a road car.

Crusing to Mt Tamborine on a sunny day, line of slow cars in front, WRX pulls out behind you to overtake and you smoke the entire line of cars...........Priceless.

jasn78
24-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Has to be a road car.

Crusing to Mt Tamborine on a sunny day, line of slow cars in front, WRX pulls out behind you to overtake and you smoke the entire line of cars...........Priceless.

Jimmy, that is all the motivation you should need to make it a road car :D

Jmac
24-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Has to be a road car.

Nicely put, I like your way of thinking, it really is a very tidy car. Done. And cheers Jase. Was just at that turning point seeing as I have the VR now too. Who says I cant have both.
Ok on with it we go. Ill get the VR done and out of the way then itll be on.
Cheers guys

Jmac

sports racer
25-05-2013, 01:33 AM
I used to have a 1961 Austin Lancer (now I'm showing my age) with a very quick MGB motor and some serious suspension mods. It looked pretty standard but would pull 160 k's in 3rd, no idea what it would do in 4th and it had lots of power. I once towed a Holden HQ panel van home over a mountain range and the Austin kept accelerating. The best thing about it was seeing the V8 drivers faces when we would do them at the lights.

At rego time I would put the standard wheels back on (14 x 3 - yes, three inches wide!) and pretend it was a granny car. With the skinny rims it would smoke the tyres in 3rd.

That's the definition of a sleeper. So much fun.

I miss that car.

Cheers

Paul

Jmac
25-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Hey Paul that's cool, I was brought up with MGB mate, Dad had 2 factory V8s one rubber bumper and one chromie. Heaps of Gts and roadsters. Was in the MG owners club so know what you on about mate. ;)
Ok have found a donor Mk4 that I have teed up to cut the whole chassis mount area out of. You may recall my biggest hurdle with tjhis car has been mounting the engine so I don't have to notch the chassis, im trying to avoid thjs at all costs. Might still have to happen to a degree though. Anyway im gonna cut off the Polo chassis mount where the actual engine mounts to. My way of thinking is weld in the Mk4 one to the chassis rail, then then mk4 mount will fit block and chassis!!! Surely has to work? gonna try it anyway. Cutting it out of the other car when I get back from my 40th Bash next weekend interstate.
Stay tuned, like I say im gonna finish the VR to a point so it can be on the road and then its all go with the wee Polo
Cheerin
Jmac

sports racer
05-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Sorry but as an ex TR4 and TR5 owner I can't associate with anyone linked to MG's. :icon_raspberry:

It's unpatriotic.

Keep us updated though. :P

Jmac
30-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Its been a while as have had stuff going on with work etc, will be moving soon so had to make the wee girl mobile for that. All good and rolling again. Couldn't stop there so have now decided with the engine mount drivers side, trimming off the existing 6N2 mount frame and welding in a Mk4 Golf one, I have the frame off the Golf all ready. Only drama is my gearbox mount now, its all on but keeps the engine too close to the leg on the drivers side so will try and slot the mount at the gearbox, failing that itll be the dreaded what ive been trying to avoid chassis notch, ah well it is what it is, be well worth it. Pics and up dates soon, like is say be moving soon so will be a wee while before its all in motion again, did say long term though ;) Cant wait to have it mounted solid, then itll be on.
Sorry for limited updates, so much been going on. It is on the cards to get at this though.
Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
07-07-2013, 06:53 PM
D90s now going on my VR6 so another treat coming for the Polo. So many options, taking it as it comes ;) Sorry small update, be a wee while before Polo gets love, moving house soon and Vr has to be finished 1st.
All good
Jmac

Jmac
20-10-2013, 11:26 PM
Ok another small update for the proj Polo. Ive cut out a rail from a MK4 with complete mount, going to unstitch and stitch it to the 6N rail, this should in my minds eye accommodate the Agu Mount. Pics coming soon
Cheers
ps couple fop projects to finish but as always this wee car a keeper
Jmac :)

nonovw
16-11-2013, 04:04 AM
good job, great poject !

I do the same thing on a 6N base, it's a nice job to have fun!
Good luck

Jmac
23-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Thinking of making this my track fun car now, i have a couple of other projects and look like they are gonna be keepers and to be able to have this one as well itll be a track toy. All the same build only less worry on the road legalities. All good. Excited.
Cheers
Jmac

Eddy
24-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Hoyhoy.

That sounds more like it Jimmy, but you'll have to make her a beast.

Jmac
15-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Plans have changed a bit now, a good friend has a daughter stinging for a 6n2, and just before I hacked the chassis rails it looks like I might revert back to std and put the 1.8T onto my cabby now. Its been a mega hard decision as I always wanted to do this but seeing as im putting loads more time into my VR I figure I have to 1.8T something and the cabby is the perfect candidate. It has a dated k Jet and needs a new lease of life. so keep an eye on the Mk1 section the cabby is getting it. No chassis hacking with it thankfully
Ah well, im sure you will understand, at tHe same time it's a shame to see the polo just sit, time is killin it.
Jmac

brad
17-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Sounds like a plan.

I hate unfinished projects that are going backwards due to lack of time.

Jmac
07-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Its not looking easy for my mate to find the stuff to revert mines back to standard and just quietly im happy lol, this might still be on, im sure if it wasn't I would regret every part of it. I wont post anymore till im totally sure. :)
:)
Jmac

Jmac
26-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Ok guys as per above post the MK2 is on its way so all of this is gong to happen to it, hope you will follow. 6N2 being reverted back to std to help ou t a mate in the nick of time before I notched the chassis. Mk2 excites me heaps as that's where it was for me when I started off. Thanks so much for the support and I hope you will enjoy what im going to do with the MK2.
Cheers
Jmac

sports racer
26-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Got to love the MK2's.

Jmac
13-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Great news my wife wants this Polo, albeit its not going to be 1.8t. So glad to be holding on to it now though. Anything can happen later on. There ye go she drives a 4mo wagon and been out for a drive in the mk2 Today, and mentioned she would like the Polo. id say VW bug for sure, its sometimes the company you keep :)
Cheers
Jmac

sports racer
15-04-2014, 01:37 PM
So what happens when your wife wants a bit more power?

You know you're going to start thinking of turbos and a better gearbox. :P

Jmac
16-04-2014, 04:52 PM
So what happens when your wife wants a bit more power?

You know you're going to start thinking of turbos and a better gearbox. :P
Lol, I'll be too busy with the mk2 ;)

Jmac
28-05-2014, 10:45 PM
I know this thing has been all over the place and good reason as ive acquired more projects. Anyway my wife still keen on the car and most of the BBY, BKY and AHW engines are all crap 2nd hand, its a terrible engine unless well looked after. Ive acquired a full 1.2TSI 6R set up , elecs, wiring, gearbox, the lot so will fit this to the 6N2, should be a hoot. Doing this before I upgrade my MK2 which I had planned for end of aug so this will happen soon.
Should make an interesting read im sure
Cheers
Jmac

sports racer
28-05-2014, 11:54 PM
It sounds like you're finding excuses to delay taking the MK2 off the road. Having too much fun with the MK2 are we?

Jmac
29-05-2014, 07:23 AM
It sounds like you're finding excuses to delay taking the MK2 off the road. Having too much fun with the MK2 are we?
Its almost a daily at the moment, yeah it has me back in a time warp from where im from , it is good mate.
Jmac

sports racer
29-05-2014, 01:22 PM
I know exactly where you're coming from, I still look forward to driving mine every day.

Jmac
07-06-2014, 07:35 PM
1.2TSI wreck bought, has the lot, will make for an interesting read.6N2 1.2 TSI with 7sp DSG lol
Yep crazy but that's how I roll.MK2 can wait as its awesome anyway, the 20v awaits so no rush
Jmac

defie
07-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Just had a read of your build and it looks awesome! Eagerly waiting for more updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmac
25-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Have the TSI now, still in its wreck but at least its here, gonna be an interesting build. ECU gets road speed from left rear wheel , erm 6n2 has no wheel stator or ABS, yep be interesting, and will be 7 sp DSG.
Jmac

Jarred
26-06-2014, 10:11 AM
interested seeing how you go putting the super new gear into the old body!

Jmac
10-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Hi there its been a while, I have broken up the TSi now so have the engine, all the wiring and the DSG 7sp. Unfortunately the DSG copped a bit of damage in the old car, can be repaired no doubt but its gonna be pretty hard anyway so I ended up acquiring another silver 6N2 that had a knackered engine but has 5 speed manual etc. In my minds eye the 6n2 manual should mount up ok as the TSi block still is technically the same layout of the AHW ( OEM 6n2 1.4 16V) time will tell in the next couple of weeks. Will fix the DSG and decide anyway otherwise ill punt it. Few 6N2 parts be for sale from the new donor
Cheers
Jmac

sports racer
11-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Why are you going with the 6n2 gearbox when it is notorious for breaking? Of all the VW gearboxes it would have to be the weakest.

I went through 2 on my Polo before getting Matt at Camden GTI to build a close ratio box using Ibiza bits and even that box failed.

Jmac
11-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Cant agree more mate to be honest, its availability at the moment, If I can fix the DSG I will , it just happens to be one of the ones in the clear recall wise. there is a lack of info regarding the accumulator in the 7sp and that's the part that's sustained damage, and usual answer is change it, don't think so. Who knows. It has a big sticker on the case saying do not remove, well I will be next week. time will tell, I f I do end up using the 6n2 manual and it breaks which is likely well so be it ill fit another till I have the DSG done, no biggie.
Jmac