PDA

View Full Version : Skoda Rapid price and equipment prediction (?wish list)

VAG newbie
26-01-2012, 02:52 PM
After a very successful year for Skoda in 2011, I think if Skoda bring in the Rapid at the right price and equipment, it will become a major player (assuming Skoda Aus is willing to keep enough stock). Because what Skoda is lacking now, is a Mazda / Corolla sized car. As the market is shifting toward smaller cars, and many people are using these small-medium car as their family car now, it's a big market Skoda should not ignore. Remember, Mazda 3 is now the top selling car!

So, for a good success, Skoda should really bring in a price leader, focus on price, not equipment, as the entry level car. IMO, a 77TSI using Fabia engine, minus the leather steering wheel, multifunction control steering wheel....etc, basically same level as Golf 77 TSI, but with a sub $20k price (ie. $19990, with occasional drive away promotion), should be a good start.

Then, somewhere in the middle, we can have a 90TSI, with all the added feature of current Fabia/ base Octavia, plus alloy wheel as standard, costing $22990, should be good competitor for Mazda 3 Maxx.

A diesel option, using Octavia's 77TDI, costing $24990. Same equipment level as 90TSI.

Top of the range, definitely a RS version. Probably the same Polo GTI engine will do, no need for the 147kw Golf GTI one. Equipment should include leather/alcantara, GPS, 17' alloy, for $29990.

But I think I maybe a bit optimistic with pricing. Skoda will probably launch at $5000 dearer than my prediction, and see how the market goes......

Jake02
26-01-2012, 06:24 PM
It's a Golf yes? Golf pricing goes from $21,990 (77TSI manual) to $42,990 (GTi 5-door DSG plus options of course, of which there are tonnes) so judging from recent Skoda pricing it will be around $1,000 to $2,000 cheaper (but with slightly more equipment). So I'd expect there to be a 90TSI, 77TDI, 118TSI, 103TDI, 147TSI and possibly a 125TDI. In terms of VW Group engine levels, the Rapid is assumed to take up where the current Octavia will leave it, so for the new larger Octavia I doubt a 90TSI and 77TDI will be sold here as the Rapid will cover size, price and power of the current Octavia, but a 188TSI will become the new RS.

I assume a 90TSI to be around $20-22k (if you don't believe me just note that the Octavia 90TSI is already only $25k), a 77TDI to be around $24k, a 118TSI to be around $28k and a 1103TDI to be around $30k but the possibility of the RS model being $35k. I certainly hope we're correct because, as you said VAW Newbie, the Rapid has the potential to put Skoda on the sales map as such, it has the potential to do a lot of good for Skoda in Australia (as well as internationally), and good pricing will definitely help. I'm hoping it's a more practical Golf because the Golf is already a great car as we all know.

VAG newbie
27-01-2012, 10:33 AM
It's a Golf yes?

No, not really. By looking at the Indian version of Rapid, it is based on VW Vento, the sedan version of the Polo. Even though European version will be significantly different according to wikipedia, it still says it will be based on Fabia and Roomster. Genetically it will be closer to Polo than Golf, even though it will be a Mazda 3 competitor. So I don't think the engines will be based on the Golf range.

Skoda always has the ability to base their car on a VW counterpart, but make it one class bigger. They can fit the smallest engine to run a relative large car. Imagine the 1.4TSI that runs the Superb in Europe! The only reason that Skoda Aus didn't import the 1.4 is because most buyer here cannot believe a 1.4L engine can run a car as big as Superb. We are all too used to the big Aussie V8's. I've sat in the Yeti 1.2TSI and I must say how I was amazed with its performance. I am sure many buyers would be amazed too. Once Aussies are used to the idea that even small engine can perform well, they will accept a 1.2TSI as an entry level Rapid.

I think a 118TSI or 103TDI may be a bit over kill for Rapid, unless they can keep the price down. If it's gonna cost more than $30000, they will struggle to sell it.

pologti18t
28-01-2012, 11:57 AM
I just read a few reviews and I can't see the Rapid as a Corolla/Mazda 3 competitor. It's apparently a Honda City competitor.
The small car sedan market is limited... Just not what people in that market want here.

Jake02
28-01-2012, 02:13 PM
I think there's a bit of confusion here. The Indian Rapid is a City/Fiesta saloon/Yaris saloon/Mazda2 saloon (supermini saloons) rival because that is one of India's biggest markets and they're actually called limos there. The Indian Rapid is just a Fabia saloon. The world-spec Rapid I've read is unlikely to be called Rapid (rather Lauretta or similar) and is going to be larger (it's Corolla-sized), classier and more expensive as well as with a hatch being offered.

There are two versions worldwide and Australia will not receive the Rapid.

pologti18t
28-01-2012, 04:04 PM
The Indian Rapid is just a Fabia saloon.

Thats the one I was talking about. It's indeed a Skoda version of the VW Vento (6R Polo sedan + a bit more width and 50mm more wheelbase). Dashboard is 6R polo from the look of it.

phaeton
29-01-2012, 08:06 AM
The Australian media seem to think we will get ROW Rapid/Lauretta (MissionL Concept).
It is positioned in a similar class as the Tiida & Accent, it borders between light/small class & has current Golf & Polo components in its platform.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/01/SkodaMissionL9-1.jpg
IAA 2011: Skoda MissionL Concept Previews New Compact Sedan [Updated Gallery] - Carscoop (http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/09/iaa-2011-skoda-missionl-concept.html)

anthony
29-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Judging from that photo,its going to be a great looking car...nicer than Polo sedan.

RSwag
29-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Dare I say it but I believe the logic that this will be a Polo sedan type vehicle is a bit skewed. They already have the Fabia and soon to be launched (but already in europe) Fabia Wagon, why would they release a model that would confuse this line up. The logical step would be a sedan/hatch model to rival the Golf, it doesn't make sense other than that being the objective.

anthony
29-01-2012, 11:13 AM
It looks a bit Jetta-ish ???

woofy
29-01-2012, 02:39 PM
It looks a bit Jetta-ish ???

If you think about it, the latest Jetta looks Audi-sh, and all the new Skodas are being more Audi-ish as well, so really they will all look pretty similar to each other this round.

Jake02
29-01-2012, 09:32 PM
To be honest there is a strong similarity in most Skodas/Audis/Volkswagens in the styling department. Only SEATs look any different (except the Exeo of course being an old A4). It's no shock!

anthony
30-01-2012, 04:43 PM
If you think about it, the latest Jetta looks Audi-sh, and all the new Skodas are being more Audi-ish as well, so really they will all look pretty similar to each other this round.

Yes,I agree,which is probably a good thing...

phaeton
30-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Dare I say it but I believe the logic that this will be a Polo sedan type vehicle is a bit skewed. They already have the Fabia and soon to be launched (but already in europe) Fabia Wagon, why would they release a model that would confuse this line up. The logical step would be a sedan/hatch model to rival the Golf, it doesn't make sense other than that being the objective.

It will sit between the Fabia & Octavia accrding to reports.

pologti18t
01-02-2012, 03:02 PM
It will sit between the Fabia & Octavia accrding to reports.

And the Octavia is bigger than a Golf....
Therefore the car we are seeing here will be Skodas Golf/Focus/Corolla competitor and sized as such

The article says a much

The production model will be positioned between the smaller Fabia (http://carscoop.blogspot.com/search/label/Skoda Fabia) and the larger Octavia challenging the likes of the Focus sedan in Europe, Russia, China, and India.

VAG newbie
02-02-2012, 11:28 AM
And the Octavia is bigger than a Golf....
Therefore the car we are seeing here will be Skodas Golf/Focus/Corolla competitor and sized as such

The article says a much
[/FONT]

Yes, I agree size wise is Golf/Mazda3/Corolla/Focus. That was my point in the opening. But mechanically, it should be more Polo than Golf is my prediction. Just like Octavia is a Mazda6/Euro size, but uses Golf component, and Superb A6/A8 size and uses Passat components.

pologti18t
03-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Yes, I agree size wise is Golf/Mazda3/Corolla/Focus. That was my point in the opening. But mechanically, it should be more Polo than Golf is my prediction. Just like Octavia is a Mazda6/Euro size, but uses Golf component, and Superb A6/A8 size and uses Passat components.

I expect Skoda will use the same ideas as the US market Jetta - so expect a beam rear axle etc to keep costs down, hard dashboard plastics on base models etc.
Engines will probably mirror the upcoming Mk7 Golf. 1.2TSI, new 1.4TSI (no supercharger), sprinkling of diesels etc, maybe the new 1.8T for the RS model.