PDA

View Full Version : Scirocco 1st reviews

Vwphile
25-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Hi fellow Rocco Dubbers

Congrats to all those with their new arrivals!!

Now, how about some initial reports.

Is the car what you expected? What are the highlights? Unexpected bonuses. Any disappointments?

The only common criticism among the motoring journalists has been the hard ride. What are your thoughts?

Guys, I need your input before I commit myself.

Thanks in adavance

vesssh
25-01-2012, 07:55 AM
I took a DSG one for a test drive yesterday, honestly wasnt as good as what i thirst thought.

The 19s are a little harsh, but this is over come by the ACC

Lack of rear vision and the small rear view mirror was also a turn off for me.

When it comes to me buying I am going to go with the Golf R as it feels like it handles the road better being AWD, in my opinion anyways

There is also no spare tyre, it has a tyre revival kit instead . . . .

Bain
25-01-2012, 09:21 AM
A small review of the car:
Interior: Stylish yet not over the top. Its what Id call refined rather than boy racer styling.

Seats: It’s a 2 +2 seater with very comfortable bucket seats all round. It is going to take some time getting used to getting in and out of the vehicle as there isn’t a whole lot of head room and the side bolsters on the bottom of the seat are quite high.

Dash and display: Everything is within easy reach. Stereo is a touch screen display and integrates perfectly with any apple device. It has a 30 gig hdd in it to download all your favourite music/movies and an SD slot for whatever else you want to transfer/watch/listen from.

Performance: Wow.. wow… wow! The sound of the car is addictive! Off boost (below 1900rpm) the car is quite placid, but once you get past 1900rpm the car jumps forward with zeal! The gear changes are so quick and precise you get no jerk or slowing movement between gears. Its just a continuous roar to whatever speed you decide to stop at.

The most addictive part of the sound is when it changes up or down gears, there’s a popping sound between gears which gives it an almost Ferrari-esque gearbox sound. Its ogasmic in the cabin and it sounds crazy outside the car.

ACC: Adaptive Chassis Control. This little button allows me to soften/firm or auto the suspension within the car. It works pretty much the same as the magnetic ride in the Audis. The dampers harden or soften dependant on what is chosen. We tested this out on the way home last night down some back streets.

‘Comfort’ setting is what Id call smooth(ish) but there are still some hard bumps. I think this is because the 19 inch rims have rubber bands for tyres.
‘Sports’ firms the suspension up by quite a bit and reduces body roll. You can feel every ant you run over
‘Normal’ is adaptive and the car chooses the suspension for the speed/reaction of the road.

In regards to visibility, I find the rear view small but fine to use. The side mirrors are large enough to make up for the lack of rear view and you can always turn your head to check your blinds spots. Also the reversing sensors should help out even the most inept reverser.

Besides the AWD vs 2WD debate, this car handles well.

The one thing that this car has over the Golf R is its looks. No other car out there has the same looks as this. There is no 'poverty pack' look-a-likes on the road. When you see a Scirocco, you know that its the top of the line model because thats all you can get out here.

This is primarily the main reason I didnt want a Golf R. It looks pretty much the same as the base model with a small amount of body kit on it (besides the mechanicals). If you arent a car enthusiast most people will just assume you drive a 'Golf'. (and theres nothing wrong with driving just a Golf by the way)

Anyway, its all IMO at the end of the day.

octagon
25-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Great review Bain

I agree with what you have said. The engine is mega... I love the start up and idle and the gear changes with the dsg are fantastic.

Im glad i waited for the scirocco over the golf r. Im from Perth and it does not rain here very often so the awd is not really missed and the wait saving in not having the awd makes the car feel so agile and responsive. The doors are very big, wide and heavy which makes parking in tight spaces a challenge but its no big deal.

I had a mkv gti and this is soooo much better in every way. The look you get from other gti owners is so funny, i think its a gti owners wet dream!

triode12
25-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Took one for a test drive a couple of weeks ago.

Dislikes:
1. The MkVI GTI steering wheel, the buttons are not as intutive as the MKV steering wheel ones.
2. The high boot rim - makes it hard to load stuff into it and the fact that there is no boot release on the rear hatch makes things a bit inconvenient.
3. The lack of a spare wheel.
4. No lumbar support on the front seats and no leather option.
5. Not much difference btw the ACC settings.
6. Rear seat backs are rather thin.
7. steering has a bit of play (not as pin point as some other performance cars) but this also applies to the GTI and R.

1. Car is light and nimble to drive. Better than Golf R in this regard IME.
2. Ride wasn't harsh even with 19 inch wheels.
3. Looks.
4. Standard options like 19 inch rims, Bixenons.
5. Exhaust note can be heard in the cabin.
6. Spacious (if not low roofed) cabin.

Did a traffic light GP with a EVO X MR with the car (he even had the jump on me bec I wasn't expecting him to do that) but was able to match his pace. EVO driver gave me a thumbs up to say he was impressed.

It isn't a dedicated race car like the Renault 250, EVO or WRX is but is better suited for day to day driving than the others. I want one.

Mac135
25-01-2012, 07:25 PM
I have had three decent drives in the R. The first two were extended drives in the UK on a mix of motorway, A roads and some fairly flowing B roads. My last drive was a test drive here in inner Melbourne.

I'm a former GTI MkV owner - with APR stage 1 and a current BMW135i coupe owner. I've put an R on order to replace the 135.

There are a couple of practical considerations in replacing the 135i:

Firstly my wide hates the 135 and won't drive it - the R on the other hand is 'like a stylish GTI'. That is the one real tick that counts as I need to use her Tiguan 147 from time to time
The BMW's lack of a hatch limits what I can carry- I don't need a big luggage area just one that is easier to access than via a traditional boot.

What I like about the R

It is quick(ish) and certainly quick enough for tooling around Melbourne in
It is light on its feet- chuckable if you want, nimble as others have said
I love DSG- the Bimmers sport shift is OK but I miss the DSG
I love that it looks like nothing else
It is well specced - the options list was modest and it was easy to say yes, yes and yes.
Ride is better than the 135 - the Bimmer just crashes through bumps
It sounds great
As a two person car its spacious
It has a decent carrying capacity
I like the fact that there won't be that many on the road
It is well built - the tactile stuff feels good enough - typically VW quality without being absolutely premium (that said there is more hard plastic in the 135 cabin than in the R I think)
I even like that I have to adjust the seats - the 135 has electric seats and I get bored waiting for them to do their thing- it seems they take forever to move from one position to the other.

Gripes:

Well obviously none that were sufficient to put me off.

Mostly I don't think the interior is special enough - I know it had to be Golf or EOS based but for the top of the range car the lack of cover cup holders (for example cheapens) it a bit. I'm not fussed about the lack of leather and like the materials of the seats. I don't want a lounge room that moves but I just think the interior just doesn't live up to the promise of the exterior
My driving experience of the ACC has been such to leave me unconvinced - that will need to wait, though most of the motoring reviews I've read a positive about it.
Rear vision is undoubtedly compromised but it is a hatch/coupe after all. on balance I'll live with that.
Standard audio was poor- I hope the Dyn system fixes that but I've bought that unheard

In terms of the ownership experience I'm clearly going to have to wait to find out. The lack of boot access might really be a pain as others have suggested but on balance you would have to think that if that was your major criticism things are really pretty good. I'm also expecting the ride to be a bit busier here then I experienced in the UK.

RWD, FWD, AWD - we can argue that for ever. My R will never see a track and driving conditions here are generally good and unlikely to warrant AWD IMO. I can say that I think the R has a very good FWD chassis and control - again more than adequate enough for driving around Melbourne. Others will see that differently of course.

So, on the basis of 3 maybe 4 hours in the car I can only say I'm looking forward to saying farewell to my 135i and getting R'd up!

I meant to add that I'm really looking forward to reading what R owners here in Australia have to say about their new cars. More reviews please!

Andych
25-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Great review...and while I am waiting for mine to now go from Port Kembla (the boat has docked :banana:) I figured I would throw in a couple of comments on some common themes...

External hatch release or should I say lack of one... I am not sure this is such an issue.. there is a button in the drivers door and also one on the key... as Mac135 said... if that is a major criticism then things are pretty good.

The same goes for the rear vision really... it is pointless comparing the vision with a Golf.. while they are from the same manufacturer and share some parts they vastly different... and... if you compare the Roc to a Megane, Vauxhall Astra GTX etc and the vision issues are on a par with their competition... and really... it is a Sports Coupe.
When we were in the UK 2 years ago (where I fell in love with the Scirocco) we hired a Vauxhall Insignia and its rear vision was even worse than the Roc...
As far as the FWD vs AWD it is kind of a mute argument unless the comparison is against a "true" full time AWD... which the Golf R certainly is not...reality is that even though these cars (Roc R and Golf R etc) are no doubt "enthusiast" cars... for most of us they double as our daily drive and will handle anything Aussie roads throw at them as long as you are not being really stupid...

If the doubters still want to compare... pretty much every test where the Roc R goes up against Golf R on a racetrack... the Roc wins.. if it really matters that is...

I am also very much looking forward to mine being ready for delivery...

tee_off
25-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the first impressions. What about urban fuel consumption and refilling costs?

triode12
25-01-2012, 11:33 PM
I have had three decent drives in the R. The first two were extended drives in the UK on a mix of motorway, A roads and some fairly flowing B roads. My last drive was a test drive here in inner Melbourne.

I'm a former GTI MkV owner - with APR stage 1 and a current BMW135i coupe owner. I've put an R on order to replace the 135.

There are a couple of practical considerations in replacing the 135i:

Firstly my wide hates the 135 and won't drive it - the R on the other hand is 'like a stylish GTI'. That is the one real tick that counts as I need to use her Tiguan 147 from time to time
The BMW's lack of a hatch limits what I can carry- I don't need a big luggage area just one that is easier to access than via a traditional boot.

What I like about the R

It is quick(ish) and certainly quick enough for tooling around Melbourne in
It is light on its feet- chuckable if you want, nimble as others have said
I love DSG- the Bimmers sport shift is OK but I miss the DSG
I love that it looks like nothing else
It is well specced - the options list was modest and it was easy to say yes, yes and yes.
Ride is better than the 135 - the Bimmer just crashes through bumps
It sounds great
As a two person car its spacious
It has a decent carrying capacity
I like the fact that there won't be that many on the road
It is well built - the tactile stuff feels good enough - typically VW quality without being absolutely premium (that said there is more hard plastic in the 135 cabin than in the R I think)
I even like that I have to adjust the seats - the 135 has electric seats and I get bored waiting for them to do their thing- it seems they take forever to move from one position to the other.

Gripes:

Well obviously none that were sufficient to put me off.

Mostly I don't think the interior is special enough - I know it had to be Golf or EOS based but for the top of the range car the lack of cover cup holders (for example cheapens) it a bit. I'm not fussed about the lack of leather and like the materials of the seats. I don't want a lounge room that moves but I just think the interior just doesn't live up to the promise of the exterior
My driving experience of the ACC has been such to leave me unconvinced - that will need to wait, though most of the motoring reviews I've read a positive about it.
Rear vision is undoubtedly compromised but it is a hatch/coupe after all. on balance I'll live with that.
Standard audio was poor- I hope the Dyn system fixes that but I've bought that unheard

In terms of the ownership experience I'm clearly going to have to wait to find out. The lack of boot access might really be a pain as others have suggested but on balance you would have to think that if that was your major criticism things are really pretty good. I'm also expecting the ride to be a bit busier here then I experienced in the UK.

RWD, FWD, AWD - we can argue that for ever. My R will never see a track and driving conditions here are generally good and unlikely to warrant AWD IMO. I can say that I think the R has a very good FWD chassis and control - again more than adequate enough for driving around Melbourne. Others will see that differently of course.

So, on the basis of 3 maybe 4 hours in the car I can only say I'm looking forward to saying farewell to my 135i and getting R'd up!

I meant to add that I'm really looking forward to reading what R owners here in Australia have to say about their new cars. More reviews please!

When I was in Sg about 2 years ago, apart from testing the GT version of the car, they had the 2.0T version which had leather seats. And leather does make the car look at lot classier than the cloth seats.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/01/autoshowphotosaspimageId55421galleryId71-1.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Thanks for the first impressions. What about urban fuel consumption and refilling costs?

It'll be 10-11L per 100km. approx $70-80 per tank at today's fuel costs.

ZIO
26-01-2012, 01:56 AM
And I'd say min 95 ulp if not 98

Andych
26-01-2012, 05:29 AM
And I'd say min 95 ulp if not 98
98 ULP ONLY. Dont take for granted what a sticker inside the fuel filler might say... our fuel is generally of a lower RON rating than available in Europe.
The Brochure states 98 RON ULP and they have a 50 litre tank.
Litres per 100 is going to vary depending on how you drive (obvious I know) especially with the DSG ... For a good indication you should read the Golf R Fuel consumption thread and figure on being a little bit better than them... (lower weight, FWD and sleeker shape).

Mac135
26-01-2012, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=triode12;768494]When I was in Sg about 2 years ago, apart from testing the GT version of the car, they had the 2.0T version which had leather seats. And leather does make the car look at lot classier than the cloth seats.

For me I don't think adding leather is the answer but I do think I'd like to find ways of dressing up the interior a bit. I had the leather option in the GTI and currently in the 135. Both were black but maybe I need to think beyond black.

I see some of the UK guys on sciroccocentral have substituted the open cup holder with a lidded version and added a lidded bin where the smoking pack sits. Might start there I think.

Bain
26-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Drive it hard and you'll be seeing 19L/100km which is what mine is currently seeing..

Also 98 RON only.

kche3572
26-01-2012, 10:14 AM
For me I don't think adding leather is the answer but I do think I'd like to find ways of dressing up the interior a bit. I had the leather option in the GTI and currently in the 135. Both were black but maybe I need to think beyond black.

I see some of the UK guys on sciroccocentral have substituted the open cup holder with a lidded version and added a lidded bin where the smoking pack sits. Might start there I think.

Maybe this is what we need as an option.
They look sick in a CW Rocco

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/01/3-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/01/4-1.jpg

Mac135
26-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Not quite what I had in mind.....I generally prefer the red to be on the outside.

Agree though that it would look good with CW

Klink1313
26-01-2012, 11:46 AM

:yikes:Your right, I do feel sick. Its good that everyone has different tastes though.

Bain
26-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Certainly not my cup of tea! :facepalm:

why_999
26-01-2012, 08:00 PM
I would of loved the recaros as an option, given it's the R version..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Andych
26-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Certainly not my cup of tea! :facepalm:
Not mine either... Recaro's don't seem to suit my body shape these days...they must be making them different now...:ohwell:

why_999
26-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Andy I'm sure there's a finesses first near you... :-)

Just joking mate...

tonyjai
27-01-2012, 05:17 PM
How are u guys finding the launch :D ?

triode12
27-01-2012, 05:24 PM

Not my cup of tea either. A bit too chav/garish for me.

DEVO
28-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Took delivery of the Scirocco yesterday so far has lived up to all expectations.

My other ride is a 5DR MkV1 GTI DSG with Leather and 18" Detroits compared against the GTI the Scirocco has far less tyre noise which is a suprise as it is running 19" wheels also it has better ground clearance then the GTI even though the Scirocco is lower.

Power and handling is as expected level of finish both inside and outside the car is first class,
Can't get the rear hatch to open usind the button on the key ring? I have posession of the car but still waiting on the books and spare key...Is there a trick to opening the rear hatch?

BSR Tuning
28-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Was lucky to go for a drive in a customers scirocco with BSR stage 1 tuning, the difference between stock was day and night since Australian scirocco's are detuned to 188kw however this was easily fixed :banana:

Car was chirping in third gear, when ESP was turned off the car was too crazy to drive but when ESP the car handles quite impressively for a fwd
Customer was delighted with the upgrade especially since he could revert to stock or tuned mode at home

Cookie28
28-01-2012, 11:33 AM
I can only really do a review of the interior and the styling of the car as I'm only 17. The exterior can only be described in one way, sexy. It's such a muscular looking car and having seen a blue and a green one one yesterday at the dealership I'd say that the green is a MUCH better looking car in real life than it does in pictures and I think I may prefer it to the RB, although it would be pretty cool if it had green needles instead of the blue.

The interior seemed a lot more spacious than I expected it to be but with those rear windows I can see the people in the back feeling a bit claustrophobic. I think the lack of leather may turn some people off but I think that the cloth is fine for most people.

The sunroof seems a bit strange to me because it doesn't slide but I guess that it fills the car with light which could make it a nicer place to sit every day.

So if you all can't tell I REALLY want a scirocco but I can't drive it and I can't afford it but I may have put it on my parents list for their next car as well as an eos and a touareg (but that won't happen for a while)

Bain
28-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Can't get the rear hatch to open usind the button on the key ring? I have posession of the car but still waiting on the books and spare key...Is there a trick to opening the rear hatch?
Hold down the hatch release for about 3 seconds to open the hatch.

tee_off
28-01-2012, 07:47 PM
It's such a muscular looking car and having seen a blue and a green one one yesterday at the dealership I'd say that the green is a MUCH better looking car in real life than it does in pictures and I think I may prefer it to the RB, although it would be pretty cool if it had green needles instead of the blue.

Both look pretty good but I'm not sure if I can live with the green as an everyday car.

Mac135
29-01-2012, 10:32 AM
When do you think we might start seeing some local reviews from the motoring press? Most (all) to date have been European drives - like the Stelvio pass release drive.

Bain
29-01-2012, 11:45 AM
I reckon feb would be when we start seeing reviews as that was meant to be the official release date.

Mac135
29-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Makes sense deliveries do seem to have been brought forward a couple of weeks from what was initially announced. I thought to tie in with the car of the year.

Mac135
30-01-2012, 07:54 PM
So have read the Wheels COTY coments regarding the R tonight. Any of the comments regarding the ride hold true amongst our owners?

Bain
30-01-2012, 08:38 PM
So have read the Wheels COTY coments regarding the R tonight. Any of the comments regarding the ride hold true amongst our owners?

Ride quality is firm on normal and sligtly softer on comfort. Sport is very rigid.

In regards to it being a negative i dont see it as such. If i wanted to drive around in a car with boat-like suspension id have bought a lexus or something other that a sports coupe.

Andych
30-01-2012, 08:42 PM
You also need to take into account the roads they used for their "test loop". They really are mostly a long way from what any of us will come across in normal driving..

sc77
30-01-2012, 08:44 PM

So far have kept mainly in normal setting for daily drive and it's fine, not noticing road being worse than usual. Sport is noticably firmer and probably a bit too hard for day to day, at least around my place. Doesnt like potholes at all, even small ones, but planning not to drive into any (more)...

I thought wheels reviewers just looking hard for reasons not to give another VW an award...plus car is not really new

Mac135
30-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Ride quality is firm on normal and sligtly softer on comfort. Sport is very rigid.

In regards to it being a negative i dont see it as such. If i wanted to drive around in a car with boat-like suspension id have bought a lexus or something other that a sports coupe.

I agree about the Lexus thought.....but equally don't want something so hard edged it is not day to day friendly.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

You also need to take into account the roads they used for their "test loop". They really are mostly a long way from what any of us will come across in normal driving..

The worst i'm likely to have to deal with are the odd level crossing or two around town plus some touring - great Ocean Road, black Spur etc

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

So far have kept mainly in normal setting for daily drive and it's fine, not noticing road being worse than usual. Sport is noticably firmer and probably a bit too hard for day to day, at least around my place. Doesnt like potholes at all, even small ones, but planning not to drive into any (more)...

I thought wheels reviewers just looking hard for reasons not to give another VW an award...plus car is not really new

Dodging potholes could be entertaining in itself. Agree that it would be strange to award a car that is really three years old. Also, in truth doesn't really advance the hot hatch genre. This point was made in relation to the Focus and Audi - don't see why the R would be different.

Having read the article the Honda sounds a worthy winner - not that I would want to own one. I hope though it doesn't come down to the volt or leaf, split by the 86

octagon
30-01-2012, 11:51 PM
The ride is firm buts that's how I like it. Haven't really tested out the sport mode yet, waiting for the engine to run in before giving it the full boot. Comfort is fine for freeway/highway cruising and normal is perfect for every day driving.

I felt the wheels comments regarding the ride were harsh given the intended purpose of the car

Bain
31-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Haven't really tested out the sport mode yet, waiting for the engine to run in before giving it the full boot.

You dont really need to run these engines in.

Traditional older cast blocks had to be run in because generally the pistons and would have 'dags' on them and stressing the engine could cause the dags on the pistons to gouge the combustion chamber (cylinder) causing leaks etc.

These days with the precise engineering of the engines (alloy blocks etc) the need to 'bed' the engine in is less. The proof is the fact that the first service is at 15000km's, not the 3000km's of some of the other engines out there. Also, the engines are run and tested before they ever see an engine bay.

I wouldnt exactly redline it (if you are that worried) but I certainly wouldnt be babying the car around - dont stick to long idle times or singular speeds for long periods of time.

Anywho, just my opinion. :)

pologti18t
31-01-2012, 09:22 AM
CarAdvice.com.au has a Scirocco R test (ViC Alps). They repeated the comments about the unusually harsh ride on the 19inch rims and that the ACC doesn't work as well on the Scirocco R as the Golf R - comfort doesn't really work.

Maybe the Scirocco R is the same as the RS250. It works better on the smaller 18inch rim/tyre combo.

Andych
31-01-2012, 10:04 AM
This from Sydney Morning Herald Drive section...
Volkswagen Scirocco R hot hatch first drive (http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/first-local-drive-volkswagen-scirocco-r-20120131-1qq85.html)
They mention Leather as an option but it is not shown on the VW site yet... not that I would have ordered it...

sc77
31-01-2012, 08:12 PM
You dont really need to run these engines in.

Traditional older cast blocks had to be run in because generally the pistons and would have 'dags' on them and stressing the engine could cause the dags on the pistons to gouge the combustion chamber (cylinder) causing leaks etc.

These days with the precise engineering of the engines (alloy blocks etc) the need to 'bed' the engine in is less. The proof is the fact that the first service is at 15000km's, not the 3000km's of some of the other engines out there. Also, the engines are run and tested before they ever see an engine bay.

I wouldnt exactly redline it (if you are that worried) but I certainly wouldnt be babying the car around - dont stick to long idle times or singular speeds for long periods of time.

Anywho, just my opinion. :)

The VW service guys told me not to baby the car, its not japanese, just drive it how it's built to be driven from day 1. .. So who am I to argue? Just need car back now...

You can tell I'm bitter...?

preeman
02-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Hi Guys,
I have been driving the car for just over a month now, and I love it! I haven't had the pleasure of having a European car before, only Japanese cars, 323 SP20, 200SX, 350Z and RX8.

The difference in the car is amazing, personally I liked the interior of the RX8 a tiny bit more than the Scirocco (Leather and more wraparound feel) and at the back it had the center console for the drive shaft which made it more snug.

The car is really fun to drive, I have been driving in Sports and S mode (DSG) pretty much the whole time. I love the feeling of the power and the way it handles the gear changes (DSG) Sounds nice.

Overall, I love the attention to detail in the car and the way it just works. Put your foot down and drive it however you want.

Couple of things I have noted, some times the mirrors don't fold open, I think I need to wait for the car to be running for a few seconds as it doesn't seem to register the switch flick at start. I also noted that sometimes the driver side window doesn't seem to go down if you push both windows to go down at the same time. Strange, but everything else is great.

I am used to harsher rides, so this feels nice, again this is personal preference. I had 19s on the other cars and that was rough, this is made for it.

That's my 2cents :)
MJ

Mac135
02-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Overall, I love the attention to detail in the car and the way it just works.

That's what I want to hear.

why_999
03-02-2012, 11:36 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread..

So heres my question, How do you reset the fuel consupmtion on the car. Its stating average 35ish L/100km and I'm struggling to find a way to reset to give a more releastic number..

But why would it have such a huge number, I've been driving slow abd babying the car (pissing rain in Sydeny)..

Help needed... its not super important but its getting under my skin.

Cheers guys

Bain
03-02-2012, 11:56 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread..

So heres my question, How do you reset the fuel consupmtion on the car. Its stating average 35ish L/100km and I'm struggling to find a way to reset to give a more releastic number..

But why would it have such a huge number, I've been driving slow abd babying the car (pissing rain in Sydeny)..

Help needed... its not super important but its getting under my skin.

Cheers guys

On the right hand side of the dash, bottom right corner (where your speedo is etc) there is a reset/0 button. Scroll across to your fuel consumption using the MFD buttons on the steering wheel (right side of steering wheel) and then hold the reset button down for a few seconds. It will reset to --/L 100km.

Same for resetting odometer etc.

Andych
03-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Otherwise RTFM... :P

Bain
03-02-2012, 12:03 PM

But its much more fun just hitting buttons and trying to figure it out :)

I actually read the manual for 1 thing yesterday. Launch control. In the book it states you bring the rpm up to 3250! Im not sure if there is a rev limiter enabled with launch control? Havent tried it yet.

Andych
03-02-2012, 12:06 PM
But its much more fun just hitting buttons and trying to figure it out :)

I actually read the manual for 1 thing yesterday. Launch control. In the book it states you bring the rpm up to 3250! Im not sure if there is a rev limiter enabled with launch control? Havent tried it yet.

All you do is plant your foot... it will hold the correct revs.. or at least it should.
I doubt that I will be using it other than to try it out at some stage... that rubber is going to be expensive to replace

why_999
03-02-2012, 12:24 PM
On the right hand side of the dash, bottom right corner (where your speedo is etc) there is a reset/0 button. Scroll across to your fuel consumption using the MFD buttons on the steering wheel (right side of steering wheel) and then hold the reset button down for a few seconds. It will reset to --/L 100km.

Thanks mate..

Smart ass :-P

I was looking under 'fuel' in the manual..lol

Bain
03-02-2012, 12:54 PM
All you do is plant your foot... it will hold the correct revs.. or at least it should.
I doubt that I will be using it other than to try it out at some stage... that rubber is going to be expensive to replace

Got a quote the other day for 255/30/r19 for the new rims. Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 for $795 each! Will be looking at the toyos as well.

Andych
03-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Maybe look at Continentals as well, they get some good reports.

Also have a read of this thread on yet another Scirocco site.. LOL
http://www.scirocconet.co.uk/forum/best-tyres-with-the-scirocco-t7878.html
The last post on page 2 links to an article in MotorTrend.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

This just came through from VWA Volkswagen Scirocco R | First Drive Car Reviews | NRMA Motoring & Services (http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/reviews/car-reviews/volkswagen/volkswagen-scirocco-r.htm)
Pretty good review actually.

kche3572
03-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Got a quote the other day for 255/30/r19 for the new rims. Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 for $795 each! Will be looking at the toyos as well.
Geez $795 each. that's expensive....
last yr, I brought a set of PSS for my bimmer for $1.3k delivered

Andych
03-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Geez $795 each. that's expensive....
last yr, I brought a set of PSS for my bimmer for $1.3k delivered

You should try Tire Rack in the USA... Search for Tires by Size (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchTires.jsp)

GTIPirelli
03-02-2012, 03:34 PM
There's also a great review on carsales.com.au Volkswagen Scirocco R: Local Launch (http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2012/small-passenger/volkswagen/volkswagen-scirocco-r-local-launch-28608).

kche3572
03-02-2012, 03:40 PM
You should try Tire Rack in the USA... Search for Tires by Size (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchTires.jsp)
I couldn't find anything for 255/30/r19 though...

Andych
03-02-2012, 03:56 PM
I couldn't find anything for 255/30/r19 though...
Your kidding me... right!!!

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z346/andrewchoake/Tirerack.jpg

You would need to know the weight and speed class to ensure you select the correct tyres... but that is pretty simple.

kche3572
03-02-2012, 04:01 PM
oops....I entered 235/30-19 :facepalm:

Bain
03-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Ive thought about it using tire rack.

Will see how the import of the rims go before making a decision on where to get the tyres. Ideally im after the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's which arent available on the tire rack website. However, the Continental Contact 5's are on there.

Andych
03-02-2012, 04:41 PM
I just read the CarSales review and I have to say that the Golf R boys are not going to be happy.....

This snippet shows why...

Better yet, Volkswagen was kind enough to let us drive the Golf R back-to-back with the Scirocco R. The verdict? Scirocco wins, no contest.

It was faster in a straight line, maintained higher mid-corner speeds and decelerated with more resolve, much of which can be put down to its 125kg lighter kerb weight.

The Golf R felt lethargic in comparison, unable to power out of corners with the same intensity (splitting torque between four instead of two wheels can do that). While the Scirocco would sometimes spin its inside wheel exiting a tight corner, the Golf never lost traction, but that's about the only area where the Golf outperformed Scirocco. Ultimately, the Golf wasn't as rewarding or as fun to drive flat-knacker; which is quite something when you think about it.

Mac135
03-02-2012, 04:42 PM
There's also a great review on carsales.com.au Volkswagen Scirocco R: Local Launch (http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2012/small-passenger/volkswagen/volkswagen-scirocco-r-local-launch-28608).

Yes, loved the review.......and then there were the entertaining comments below. Still finding hard to believe that people have the time to write such garbage.

kche3572
03-02-2012, 05:22 PM
didn't realise Rocco's boot space is better than that of a Golf R until now
:banana:

mr gee
03-02-2012, 07:40 PM
You will love this

VW Scirocco R lap times and specs - FastestLaps.com (http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/vw_scirocco_r.html)

preeman
05-02-2012, 01:02 AM

Well, in the MFD there are two counters, these keep track of Time Traveled, Fuel Consumption, Distance and Speed. There are two sets based on the small 1 or 2 shown on the MFD. If you are looking at one of those figures, if you push the "OK" button on the steering wheel it toggles between the two counters.

If you hold "OK" down it resets that counter.

I don't think reset/0 button clears the two counters. It only does the trip?

Bain
06-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Not sure Preeman. I never read the book for it, but I do know it resets the fuel consumption (1) for me.

In other news, id just like to highlight the massive grin I had on Saturday night on the way home from a dinner out. We were met by an XR5 Turbo coming off of the eastern freeway. We managed to get 2 sets of lights and on both occasions the Scirocco effortlessly pulled away.

I think the guy was a little peeved as he wouldnt look at me on his fly by the 2nd time round.

Vwphile
06-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Not sure Preeman. I never read the book for it, but I do know it resets the fuel consumption (1) for me.

In other news, id just like to highlight the massive grin I had on Saturday night on the way home from a dinner out. We were met by an XR5 Turbo coming off of the eastern freeway. We managed to get 2 sets of lights and on both occasions the Scirocco effortlessly pulled away.

I think the guy was a little peeved as he wouldnt look at me on his fly by the 2nd time round.

Now no hooning around Bain!

You know what they do to "hoon's" cars in our draconian state of Victoria.

BUT.......... nice post:rolleyes:

Langers
09-02-2012, 06:09 AM
No spare tyre, ride height too high by ~15mm, thick A pillar makes right hand corners a challenge vision wise, lumbar support isnt brilliant, and no hydraulic struts for the bonnet!

Otherwise a cracking car and excellent value for money. Engine, chassis, gearbox all work well together and there's plenty of room inside even if you're 6'6"+

GTIPirelli
11-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Took the Roc out for it's first real drive today although I had the wife and kids with me. My last car was a GTI Pirelli and I must say I'm very impressed with the Scirocco.

Sound is addictive, it's hard not to put the foot down. Drove through the Black Spur and the car handled fantastically. Kept it in Sports mode through the bends and it was extremely responsive. The car feels more refined in comparison to the Pirelli. More grip, less body roll, more responsive, hardly any torque steer and sounds much better.

Negatives? Not too many I can think of. Perhaps rear seat space and maybe less storage than the Pirelli. Also, in DSG drive mode it does run through the gears quickly so it can seem sluggish (if that's the right word) at low speeds. Visability is average however you do get used to it.

Attracted plenty of attention. Many people, young and old, stop to take a look.

Overall a really good car especially for the $$.

Andych
14-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Well.. after I spent the best part of an hour picking up my car today I finally had a chance to take her for a run where I was the only one in the car.... and I still have the smile on my face....

The difference between my Mondeo XR5 and the Roc is chalk and cheese.. as I would have expected but the Scirocco is just so much more of a car than the Euro Ford will ever be.

Pro's - As everyone has said... the sound is just addictive, God help me when I finally decide to look at the Fuel consumption...lol.
You just keep wanting to press the loud pedal to hear it again.. and it is even better when you are in sport mode.
The ride is pretty darn good considering it is a relatively short wheelbase.. with 19's on a very sporting suspension tune.
I did slip it into comfort when entering the rambling Estate I live in... and it is supreme in here on that setting... the rest of the time I had it in Normal and it was no problem at all.
The Sunroof makes a huge difference.. even with the sunblind closed it feels roomier than without it.

Negatives... none just yet other than I am not still driving it.
Window tint tomorrow morning so another chance to take more pictures.

Miguul
14-02-2012, 05:23 PM
I seriously don't know what drugs the journos were on in regards to the stiff ride comments.
Had a good drive earlier in the day, and it was quite pleasant. Maybe I'm just used to the stiffer rides.

And I was in conflict as whether to listen to the dynaudio or simply the engine sounds.

Mac135
14-02-2012, 08:08 PM
So when you got to listen to the Dyn what did younthink? Ordered that on spec mostly based on owning Dyn speakers here at home.

sc77
14-02-2012, 08:14 PM
I seriously don't know what drugs the journos were on in regards to the stiff ride comments.
Had a good drive earlier in the day, and it was quite pleasant. Maybe I'm just used to the stiffer rides.

And I was in conflict as whether to listen to the dynaudio or simply the engine sounds.

Agreed! Coming out of a GTI the Rocco is definitely a firmer ride but not to the extent that you think much about it. They are kidding

why_999
14-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Out of curiosity what fuel it's everyone using?

Optimax, Bp Ultimate etc.

I'm been using BP but not sure if it's the best for a turbo engine..

Miguul
14-02-2012, 09:09 PM
So when you got to listen to the Dyn what did younthink? Ordered that on spec mostly based on owning Dyn speakers here at home.

Sound is very crisp but lacking in bass. Which can be fixed by adding a sub I guess? (Is it possible?)
It all comes down to what type of music you prefer really.
If you don't care about the deep bass much like myself, then it's well worth the upgrade.

Andych
14-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Sound is very crisp but lacking in bass. Which can be fixed by adding a sub I guess? (Is it possible?)
It all comes down to what type of music you prefer really.
If you don't care about the deep bass much like myself, then it's well worth the upgrade.

So I am guessing you didnt get the Dynaudio system... it gives you extra tweeters a small active sub and a 300 watt amp with a lot more control over sound than the standard system.

Bain
14-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Out of curiosity what fuel it's everyone using?

Optimax, Bp Ultimate etc.

I'm been using BP but not sure if it's the best for a turbo engine..
98 BP or Shell.

So long as its 98 it shouldn't matter.

Miguul
14-02-2012, 09:51 PM
So I am guessing you didnt get the Dynaudio system... it gives you extra tweeters a small active sub and a 300 watt amp with a lot more control over sound than the standard system.

Oh, it has small sub already?
I'm used to a much deeper bass systems, so it does sound a bit lacking in comparison.
Haven't said that I do love this dynaudio setup.

Andych
14-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Oh, it has small sub already?
I'm used to a much deeper bass systems, so it does sound a bit lacking in comparison.
Haven't said that I do love this dynaudio setup.
Does it say Dynaudio on the front speakers and tweeters (doors)? If so... then yet... I believe you have a small powered sub.. at the very least it is a 300watt system (not much these days).

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

98 BP or Shell.

So long as its 98 it shouldn't matter.

I have heard of planty of people who seem to get better mileage / performance from Shell... I haven't used it previously as the Mondeo could use 95 or 98. 98 did make a big difference. I previously used Woolworths fuel... not any more I think.

Miguul
14-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Does it say Dynaudio on the front speakers and tweeters (doors)? If so... then yet... I believe you have a small powered sub.. at the very least it is a 300watt system (not much these days).

Yes it does say Dynaudio, but from what I know it doesn't have a dedicated Sub right?
Just wondering if you can get one connected to the amp.

Andych
14-02-2012, 10:23 PM
OK... I was incorrect (read WRONG)... no Sub.. just a Digital 300 watt amp and uprated speakers (same number as standard 8).

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

AS an aside.... did everyone who purchased with SatNav get the Disc?
I did... I had to ask for it... and interestingly the version already installed in the car... was an old version... the **** has the very latest Version V maps.. easy to update too.

ZIO
15-02-2012, 02:05 AM
I didnt get the gps disc - how do i check the version I have?

Andych
15-02-2012, 05:40 AM
I didnt get the gps disc - how do i check the version I have?

Hold down the setup button until a screen comes up that says Versions... tap that and it will tell you. the very latest is Map version 7679. Get hold of your Delaer and insist they send it to you. You have paid for it.

Bain
15-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Yeah I got a little pack with our Sat Nav. Disc included.

ZIO: I'll check the ver on the disc tonight, if its the upgraded maps and you need yours updated let me know and we can catch up somewhere and load em up!

Andych
15-02-2012, 09:47 AM

ZIO: I'll check the ver on the disc tonight, if its the upgraded maps and you need yours updated let me know and we can catch up somewhere and load em up!

My original Map version was 7492. The newest version after the update is 7679.
This thread is a good one for POI's etc... http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f78/custom-pois-3xxx-firmware-aus-nz-maps-v-4-1-poinspect0r-65337.html

she_dub
15-02-2012, 02:04 PM

I didn't get this either :facepalm:

mr gee
15-02-2012, 07:42 PM
I didn't either though I was given one with my GTI. have sounded out the salesman for it

Mac135
16-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Don't want to spoil the Wheels article for those that are still to read it but I was pretty disappointed with the whole thing. The approach to the story I thought pretty uninformative and flat. Don't care which car wins (would never have bought the Megane one way or the other) but reading it was like watching paint dry.

Nevermind Motor will have something to say in a couple of weeks I guess.

At some point I hope someone, somewhere goes beyond the bleeding obvious R/RS Cup comparison and stretches these cars a bit. Can they complete against say 135, TTS, 370Z or can their really out boy racer a WRX or Evo? What is the best sub $100K (on the road otherwise the 1M night be a start up winner) sporting, daily drive available for example!

Teddit
16-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Good write ups all round. Some good points and some trivial. I have to say I want one. Now off to convince the better half. :dance:

why_999
17-02-2012, 11:38 AM
A quick question for my fellow dubers...

My rear suspension is making a creaking sound when entering or leaving the car, my question is that normal for a suspension to be settling in? It doesn’t happen all the time but I don't want it to become a big problem down the track.

I have booked it in to get it check out next month.

And got the Nanolex done will post some pictures as soon as the boys email me the before/after pics..

But I have already notice no more water marks on the sunroof every morning :banana:

Bain
17-02-2012, 11:56 AM
A quick question for my fellow dubers...

My rear suspension is making a creaking sound when entering or leaving the car, my question is that normal for a suspension to be settling in? It doesn’t happen all the time but I don't want it to become a big problem down the track.

I have booked it in to get it check out next month.

And got the Nanolex done will post some pictures as soon as the boys email me the before/after pics..

But I have already notice no more water marks on the sunroof every morning :banana:

Only time I had the creaking sound was when I was lowering the car back down off of a jack last weekend (when I was pulling off wheels to see if I could DIY the springs)

Just check there is no movement in the rear coils and they are seated correctly.

why_999
17-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Just check there is no movement in the rear coils and they are seated correctly.

Thanks Bain,

Will have a look tonight.

Rosey456
17-02-2012, 08:36 PM
My golf made a creaking sound from the rear when exiting, normally on an incline.
Solution was to pull the handbrake tighter. Being a new car I was babying the handbrake when I needed to pull it harder.
Hopefully same with your car.

Andych
17-02-2012, 10:17 PM

You don't leave your baby out in the weather do you????
Dear God man... with our strange weather lately you are liable to come out and find it all dimpled from hail.
I even parked mine under the Sunshade area at the Long Term carpark for the last 2 days... it still got dirty but at least it was protected in case of hail...
The rest of the time it lives in the garage at home.

My ONLY gripe so far.... the noisy tyres on coarse chip roads... that is fixed by WOT or turning the radio up louder :P

why_999
18-02-2012, 06:45 AM
You don't leave your baby out in the weather do you????
Dear God man... with our strange weather lately you are liable to come out and find it all dimpled from hail.

If you live in the inner west of sydney, your lucky to find street parking some days, and not many houses will car ports :-(

That's why I got the Nanolex!!!

Andych
29-02-2012, 05:17 PM
So.... I have just ticked over 1000 kms and figured I would update my drive impressions....

This is still far and away the best car I have had... we had a very big day on Saturday, we left early and drove out to Mt Panorama to watch qualifying for the 12 hour race. The DCC handled the crappy Highway over the mountains and out to Bathurst... with a spirited blast through the twisty bits before Lithgow. Man this thing hangs on well...:)

The drive back from Bathurst was just as good... we did notice that as more KM went on the exhaust note changed.. no doubt as the rear muffler carbons up it gets a little deeper...which is good.

Again... the twisties after Lithgow on the way back down are just sensational... double the posted 45km/h corners with plenty in reserve..it would easily be able to cope with 3 times the posted corner speed if it was legal... (it is a 90 km/h section of road).

Going up Mt Vic is a real buzz... the handling is so sure... I have no idea if the electronics were at work with the EDL but turn-in was super sharp and there is no wheel tug or bump steer that I could feel... you do have to watch for pot holes when in Sports mode on the suspension... but I keep away from them anyway...

We then went out to Eastern Creek in the afternoon to watch the Watercooled boys put up a good showing at the VW Drag meet... as I said... it was a big day.

Today I decided to have an extended run in the wet.. just to see how it handled it as there were plenty of Golf R boys who doubted the Roc's ability on wet or damp roads...

All I can say is that if you get yourself int trouble in a Scirocco R in the wet... it is driver error... not the car.
They have plenty of grip and the electronics do such a good job when your right foot is less than subtle they are ridiculously fast...
I love the popping if you really keep your foot into it and the TC works overtime to keep things sane... lol.

Again... no wheel tugging even when you can feel and hear a front spin up momentarily. It is certainly interesting to see the TC light flashing away when you are giving it a bit of welly... It certainly doesn't slow things down at all.

I pick up my Personalised Plates tomorrow and the next thing on my list is to Dynamat the boot floor.. I think that will stop quite a bit of the tyre noise.. well I hope it will.

Mac135
29-02-2012, 07:10 PM
So by the sounds of that noise is your only negative at this stage. That's a pretty positive review overall....thanks

Andych
29-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Yep... just the tyre noise... and to be honest it is only on the Coarse chip roads.
I am sure that some Dynamat will help and a new set of shoes (Michelin PS) apparently makes a big difference as well.

Mac135
29-02-2012, 09:17 PM
I don't know about dynamat - something else to ponder while waiting

Andych
29-02-2012, 09:50 PM
The boot floor is basically just painted, with the lift up carpet... no underlay to speak of so at worst... Dynamat will remove any drumming from that area.
I will have to take off the side covers in the boot area when I do the RVC so I am thinking that will also get the Dynamat treatment.

The pics below might give you a better idea of why I am looking at the Dynamat... excuse the iPhone pics in the dark... lol.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z346/andrewchoake/Scirocco%20R/IMG_0148.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z346/andrewchoake/Scirocco%20R/IMG_0145.jpg

Stos
01-03-2012, 10:22 AM
The boot floor is basically just painted, with the lift up carpet... no underlay to speak of so at worst... Dynamat will remove any drumming from that area.
I will have to take off the side covers in the boot area when I do the RVC so I am thinking that will also get the Dynamat treatment.

The pics below might give you a better idea of why I am looking at the Dynamat... excuse the iPhone pics in the dark... lol.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Hi Andych
Will be very interested to see what the outcome will be when you dynamat the boot. Great idea, i wouldnt have thought of doing it. If it does make a significant difference, then i'll also do mine once it arrives.
Cheers
Stos

DoggieHowser
01-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Met the friend I call "biggest veedub fan in Singapore" last night.

I had driven his R32 (RB of course) the other night and last night, we took the Scirocco R also in RB.

While the Roc R didn't have 4Motion, it was much lower hunkered down and I didn't feel that I was missing the extra driven wheels. The car felt very flat through corners.

I really like the new R engine. On our V GTI, there was noticeably more turbo lag until we used the BSR Reflash on the car. On the R, it felt much more responsive even in factory trim.

I also really liked the exhaust note. It's not quite "R32" territory but it doesn't sound as rough as our V GTI with the ABT quad pipes either. There's a very nice muscular note and if you shift at high enough rpms, a very reassuring burp at gear changes.

Speaking of gear changes, I like the little bit of feedback on the +/- notches on the DSG. Even though both the V GTI and RocR use the same 6 speeder, there's a bit of tactile "click" when you engage the gear on the R. The V DSG feels a bit more "game controller" since you just flick up and down. The R DSG lets us feel/know when you engage the gear.

I also played a bit with the adaptive chassis control, mainly between Sport and Comfort. With the 19" rims, I can't say I noticed an immediate difference on the highway. It was only until I was driving over some bumps at low speeds. The Comfort mode sorta lets the car sink in, whereas the Sports mode is a bit more jarring.

Overall, a very involving drive.

Next up, his R (also in RB)

Mac135
01-03-2012, 06:07 PM
I understand from the UK forums that there was a change to the feel of the DSG paddles about 12 months ago as part of continuous improvement. That might explain the difference you feel between the new R and the MkV GTI. The intention was to make it less 'playstation'. Sounds like that was a success.

Stos
01-03-2012, 06:46 PM
I understand from the UK forums that there was a change to the feel of the DSG paddles about 12 months ago as part of continuous improvement. That might explain the difference you feel between the new R and the MkV GTI. The intention was to make it less 'playstation'. Sounds like that was a success.

I had an absolute blast with the DSG in the roc on my 45min test drive. Definite success, can't wait to pick mine up in May! The wait is killing me!

Andych
01-03-2012, 08:04 PM
The aural sensation is even better if you have the windows down and have the shifter all the way down to Sports mode... the pops and farts on full throttle upshifts are fantastic but the throttle blip on downshifts is just wonderful..... I know how it would be effecting me if I was 20 again... :)

mr gee
02-03-2012, 04:17 PM
The aural sensation is even better if you have the windows down and have the shifter all the way down to Sports mode... the pops and farts on full throttle upshifts are fantastic but the throttle blip on downshifts is just wonderful..... I know how it would be effecting me if I was 20 again... :)

Yes, better than my former GTI..........more like a burp..crackle :-)

Mac135
05-03-2012, 06:47 PM
A short but sweet review from The Top Gear New Car Review section.

"imagine a Golf GTI. Now imagine it has a sexier, more althetic cousin. You've imagined the Scirocco. Possibly the most complete car you can buy". 9/10

I think they like it.

ConR
09-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Stos I notice your sig says 19 black tallas. Did you order those? Thought they weren't an option on the roc?

Stos
09-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Stos I notice your sig says 19 black tallas. Did you order those? Thought they weren't an option on the roc?

Hi Ktrianta, you are right they are not an option. I got the salesman to throw them in as part of the sale. He said he would either swap them over from a Golf R(later found on the what deal did you get thread that Golf R and Scirocco R offsets are different) or he would send them off during pre-delivery to get powder coated and sprayed(they would also be part of warranty if any issues with paint and repairing). It didnt cost me any more and had my heart set on black talladegas as part of the deal. Will make sure to post photo's of how they turn out.

quozl
09-03-2012, 11:28 PM
New review in the latest issue of Tarmac Magazine (issue 14) got my sub today, think its on the news stand next week, they also have an Ipad app you can download for free and I think buy individual issues.

Long story short Dean gives it an A

Cheers Q

ConR
10-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Hi Ktrianta, you are right they are not an option. I got the salesman to throw them in as part of the sale. He said he would either swap them over from a Golf R(later found on the what deal did you get thread that Golf R and Scirocco R offsets are different) or he would send them off during pre-delivery to get powder coated and sprayed(they would also be part of warranty if any issues with paint and repairing). It didnt cost me any more and had my heart set on black talladegas as part of the deal. Will make sure to post photo's of how they turn out.

Damn, awesome deal! Gonna give my dealer a call to see what they can do!

Thanks mate!

Andych
16-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Just an update on my 1st impressions now that I am closing in on the 1500km mark... I know.. I should have more km on it by now.. :)
I tried very hard to resist putting a tune on it... but in the end I went for a Viezu Tune... I am currently running the Motorsport tune and it has completely changed my first impression.
This is how the Rocco should be from the factory... :) The DSG lite part of the tune has pretty much settled down and it is so much better than standard... even when in D.
The power and torque right through the range is amazing and the exhaust is now even better... coupled with the sound of the turbo spooling up... Magic...

Rev 555
16-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Agree 100% with Andrew. I am nearing the 2000k mark and although I did start modding at a very early stage (1000kms) the car was so good in stock form that I would have been quite happy driving it as it was for a bit longer. It was that good. Everything from the note of the exhaust to the shift of the DSG was superb. Not to mention the steering and handling. I must say though the stock car felt underpowered since I had fairly modified GTI running a K04. The power was there but I missed the instant surge and the exhaust noise.

The experience post tune and suspension upgrade is something else! Its makes a great package even better! My K04 GTI will find it hard keeping up due to the grip the car now has combined with the extra power from the Stage 1 tune. The DSG tune certainly makes it fun driving in all gears especailly in manual where you can drive it off the limiter before shifting.

Mac135
16-03-2012, 02:39 PM
So are you also running the Viezu tune or APR. REVO or something else?

Rev 555
16-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Hpa

---

SteNZnet
16-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Picked up a black, 6spd, dynaudio, satnav about 4 weeks ago

I must be getting old..
I'm sick of the front wheel tramp with anything other than a crawl at take off
I'm sick of navigating around pot holes and tar chicanes (Sydney roads)
I'm sick of every tool in a toyota, mitsi or Subaru hang in off my arse like we are at Nurburgring
I have a 6spd manual and don't get farts and blats at downshift like the dsg brothers (I feel left out)
The spartan interior is ok.. the rear view is ok.. Love the audio..
But I must admit... I miss my R36 wagon (which my son is now driving)
I think a generational swap is looming..

Mac135
16-03-2012, 08:46 PM
After how many weeks of ownership?

eccentric
17-03-2012, 04:31 AM
Had the car for 1 month now, done just over 1000kms. Coming from a 280kwatw evo, I wasn't expecting much from the scirocco R in terms of performance, due to it's fwd configuration. It was supposed to be my "sensible car". 1st week of ownership, I felt that it was the perfect blend of luxury and speed, driving it in between work. Took it up for Kinglake/Spurs during the 2nd week, was too scared to push the limits on a public road and still had low expectations of its cornering abilities. It's the 4th week now & I can confidently say it has surpassed my expectations in terms of acceleration & how it behaves in the corners. I have driven the R32 MK5, MK5 & MK6 GTI & Golf R. I would say it feels most similar to the MK6 GTI, but 30% better in the performance department if I had to put it into numbers (not knocking GTIs at all). Driving experience is IMO more rewarding than the 4motion variants - braking feels more mechanical than assisted, steering feel is more driver oriented & XDL works like a charm, almost like a mechanical LSD tugging you into the corner but of course lacks that out corner and off the line traction of a 4wd. Just my 2cents, take it with a grain of salt.

Bain
17-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Picked up a black, 6spd, dynaudio, satnav about 4 weeks ago

I must be getting old..
I'm sick of the front wheel tramp with anything other than a crawl at take off
I'm sick of navigating around pot holes and tar chicanes (Sydney roads)
I'm sick of every tool in a toyota, mitsi or Subaru hang in off my arse like we are at Nurburgring
I have a 6spd manual and don't get farts and blats at downshift like the dsg brothers (I feel left out)
The spartan interior is ok.. the rear view is ok.. Love the audio..
But I must admit... I miss my R36 wagon (which my son is now driving)
I think a generational swap is looming..

lol.. sounds like you A) drive it incorrectly and B) bought the wrong car.