PDA

View Full Version : Needed updating advice: Mk3 VR6 vs Mk4 GTI ?

Satanstoenail
10-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Howdy people, it's been a while since I posted on here. Not sure if this is the right section, but anyway.. I'm thinking of selling my Mk2 and updating to a Vr6, but I dunno how I'd go finding one in good unthrashed condition with low kms, so I'm now thinking maybe a Mk4 GTI wold be the go. They seem to get a bad wrap though due to lack of grunt and heaviness, bad handling etc. Plus they're a bunch more expensive and I've gotta factor that into the equation. Is the Vr6 a better more powerful car to go for if I can find a mint example?

Soundofav6
10-07-2007, 11:24 PM
not sure if I right person to give advice, just want to put in my $0.02. Friend of mine had a Vr6 here but has a golf 4 motion golf overseas, he over all verdict was Vr6 handling fills better.

The over all a vr6 appears is more classic, more maculine and v6 is it's secret weapon, but a Gti seems to be a more "rich kid" appeal, more snobber. Wasn't my cup of tea.

I should stop I realise I am too bias already. The end.

GoLfMan
10-07-2007, 11:27 PM
well the good thing about the mk4 GTi is that you get much higher tuning ability for your $$'s
all the downfalls of the mk4 GTi out of the factory can be solved but it is all a matter of $$, as is everything with cars :D
both great cars, but i recon that you would never get sick of the sound of that VR6 donk!

Satanstoenail
12-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Ok cheers guys. Anyone else?

gpk_gti
12-07-2007, 09:35 PM
ive owned a vr6 new and there is nothing on the planet that sounds soooo horny.interior is ok and handling not too bad,but the mk4 is a great step up in interior and many other aspects.although it sounds pretty bland in comparison the 1.8t is much quicker with a little massaging and $$$.I really miss that roar but the mk4 gti is a far superior car.if I could get a new mk4 vr6 I would be sold,but to buy a old mk3 vr6,no I wouldnt ,they are all having heaps of probs!!

h100vw
12-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Newest VR6 now got to be 10 years old. Lots of worn out parts and the engines cost a packet to revive.

A MK4 has to be the way forward. Engines last forever with cambelt and tensioner changes.

Gavin

Satanstoenail
12-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Hmmmm fair enough, cheers. Is there any point looking for a really well kept Vr6 with mega low k's on it or should I just get it out of my head? TBH I like the idea of the Vr6 more as I've loved them for years, but I've gotta be practical as well unfortunately. Although I couldn't bring myself to buy a standard Golf, if it's gonna be a Mk4, it's gotta be a GTI.

gpk_gti
12-07-2007, 10:45 PM
In all these years,I havent seen a very low k's perfect vr6,very hard to find.when I got my gti late 05,I tried for ages to find a vr6 but couldnt find even one.now there is heaps,,but they all need something and some need heaps! where as mk4 gti's are relatively easy to find low k's very clean cars for around 15-20k.gti is much more tunable and bits are easier to find on ebay and in turn cheaper.

Satanstoenail
12-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Cool, thanks mate. I just had a look at your GTI, very nice indeed. :cool:

MattyT
13-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Ive owned a VR6 with high kms for a few months now and so far have not run into any major mechanical issues. Although the first service I did for it set me back $1600 :o

Due to their age, I really doubt you'll find one with low k's. The model is 10+ years old, its just not going to happen.

The VR6 is SUCH a good sounding and great driving car tho. I'm soooo happy with it. Wouldnt sell it for much else bar a Mk4 R32!