PDA

View Full Version : The Jetta

Rednut
05-03-2006, 02:21 AM
Hey guys,

found out the hard way today that the petrol cap will only operate with central locking working.. and as it doesnt work.. i am unable to fuel up..i'll be lucky to have enough to get to the bloke thats fitting the alarm system/central locking..

any ideas besides snapping it? :( :(

syncro
05-03-2006, 07:01 AM
any ideas besides snapping it? :( :(

Some cars have an emergency way to open them or you could try a piece of wire to move the latch. Try searching the internet or fixing your C/L.

Golf Loon
05-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Are you on drugs? Flip the cover open with your hand. Insert key, turn anticlockwise and then rotate cap further anticlockwise. Its not connected to your cl. you are just not doing it right :oops:

Rednut
05-03-2006, 12:39 PM
no drugs.. its definately locked.. the cover bends when i pull it hard..
*as shown below (notice the pressure in the thumb)*

http://xs70.xs.to/pics/06090/latch.jpg (http://xs.to)

i recall the key needing to be in the drivers door with the doors unlocked for the latch to release.. then even a baby could open the latch.

the actual cap itself doesnt need a key.. just turn it to open.

imported_brackie
05-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Can you get behind the panel next to the filler cap? Do you have a wiring diagram to show which wire goes to the solenoid on the flap? (Assuming it's not vacuum operated.) If you can get to the wiring behind the flap put 12V to it and if the solenoid is working it'll flip the flap. If you can't get to it, trace the wire to where it becomes accessible and put 12v there. If all else fails you will have to carefully lever the flap until you can see the mechanism. From there make a tool (use your imagination!) that will go behind the catch and spring it open. I'm really just shooting possibilities at you as I'm not familiar with the car. I had a similar problem with a Merc 300D flap and solved it with the last option.

Golf Loon
05-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Top left corner of the cap has a small pin. This bends under aussie superhuman strength. U just need to wiggle or lift upwards the cover to free the pin, then you are in. Trust me, you dont need c/l to open the fuel flap.

Rednut
05-03-2006, 10:03 PM
got it with some aussie wiggling muscle. altho now it doesnt latch. least i can get to it.. but so can everyone else.

to the alrmfitter!

Golf Loon
06-03-2006, 07:32 AM
A Golf 2, or Jetta has a nice baffle in the filler neck, making it very hard for petrol thieves.

Glad you got it open. THe pin at the top is the key to it latching, u should be able to bend it a bit, so that it fits up nicely.

Rednut
20-03-2006, 10:09 AM
alarm bloke said his alarms are generally for cars that are up to about.. 10years old.. prikz!

guess that one goes back to the drawingboard.

off to Ben Durie!

Shes very sick at the mo, she was coughing and acting up whilst heading to the fitters.. Ben should get her workin nicely. (i freakin hope!)

Rednut
20-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Ben: "looks like a bit of a nightmare, will give it the regular lookover and will let you know what i think"

nice one matt :P hehehe

Golf Loon
20-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Ben: "looks like a bit of a nightmare, will give it the regular lookover and will let you know what i think"

Sounds expensive. Dont let him slug you too much. If all else fails, whack a 16v in the old girl. Thats what she should have got last time.

Are you gonna bring her down for the nationals on 16th April? She got a prize last year. :wink:

Rednut
22-03-2006, 05:33 PM
a prize for what??

anywho.. got a call from Ben today.. he said the engine looks like an mkIII engine.. but has an old carby that shouldnt be on it. and the pod apparently makes it worse. the coolant is pressurising too much or something which he thinks is the headgasket doing it.. and the timing belts dont have covers on them. the windscreen wipers have a new pump in them..so i suspect they're working.. hes changed all the plugs and gave her an oil change..

have you got a mkIII carby i can buy off you to get ben to install? perhaps a air filter that will fit it properly.. or is the one on it supposed to be for an mkIII??

fuel injection would be way to expensive for me at the moment..so thats out of the question.. whats my options here..
Ben doesnt want to go fixing much engine wise cause of the state of the current carby.. i said i'd call him tomorrow with a conclusion.. whether to just leave it.. or if i can get a better carby from you and get him to install it.

let me know.. cheers :)

Golf Loon
22-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Doesn`t sound like he`s that knowledgeable mate. Its a cop out changing the plugs and doing an oil change.

It is a 1.9 Audi engine, with a Mk2 Golf GTI head on it and a Mk2 Carby.

Mk3s didn`t come with Carbys.
I dont have any modern carbys, only crude Mk1 webbers which wont help.

I dont have a filter, hence the pod filter

Timing belt covers are a pain in the arse. I`m not the only bloke who leaves em off. I have heaps of em in my shed though. :oops:

If the HeadGasket is gone, I can drop an 8v engine in cheaper than you`d think, even fuel injection need not cost that much.

Phone me if you want help, or to curse me, whichever seems appropriate :wink:

Rednut
22-03-2006, 07:08 PM
heh, im not havin a go at you.. i just going by the experience of word of mouth(meaning he has more experience). everyone in newy recommends him for thoroughness..

i had no idea when i went to him.. i just said, can you do a general tune up..you know do your normal thing.. and let me know whats doin with the way the car is running.

throw me some figures.. i just want the freakin thing runnin as it should.. im not worried about it floggin people at the moment.. just want it as an a-b for now.

ahh! i forgot to ask him about the back suspension. theres no way i can just let it keep going and wear itself down..its ripping the wheels to shreds.. cant have anyone in the back or the slightest dip sends the wheels into that sharkmouth of a guard!

Rednut
24-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Its decided. The Jetta is getting a facelift to Fuel Injection. she'll be travelling back to camden for an upgrade on the weekend hopefully.. just need an extra driver!

down with carbys! hehe

Golf Loon
24-03-2006, 07:44 AM
I see. I better start finding bits then.

Golf Loon
24-03-2006, 07:50 AM
Its good timing though, cos steve the wiring guru is on holiday, so he can help me.

Rednut
24-03-2006, 12:29 PM
shplendid. nat reakons it wont make it back to sydney.. so he doesnt want to drive alone.. hehehe gonna have to hit one of my mates up i think.. more bloody funds!

persistance!!!!

Golf Loon
24-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Bet you didn`t do anything about that linkage yet.

Rednut
25-03-2006, 12:38 PM
linkage??

anywho. got the bill today and the car back :) i felt cold without her..as did she.

ok, so the invoice states the major concerns he discovered.. let me know what you guys think.

new dizzy cap
spark plugs
washer pump
oil + oil filter
$150 in parts :(

coolant pressurisation (he thinks its the headgasket)
h.t leads needed (to coil)
new carby or alternative {fueeeeeeel inJECTION - weeeee!}
no air cleaner box fitted?
intake system air leak
thermo fans run all the time

car seems to run a tiny bit better.. she is running very cold tho.. and now when not accelerating.. the oil like flashes and buzzes.. would this be a sensor/electrical problem?

$120 labour.. im pretty happy with that..altho its my first visit.. so i may have been raped.

syncro
25-03-2006, 01:04 PM
h.t leads needed (to coil)

If that's a VW lead (black) I'd be worried about a mechanic saying that.

Rednut
25-03-2006, 01:50 PM
isnt it the tube that goes from the top of the dizzy to the coil? is it cause its a rare/expensive part? or its not as simple as ripping the old one off and replacing?

syncro
25-03-2006, 02:27 PM
The original ones last forever but dumb mechanics replace them with inferior carbon leads which only last a few years.

Golf Loon
25-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah it had a black German lead on it. What colour is it now?

Intake system air leak? with a carby? what planet is this guy on?

Will it drive to sydders?

Rednut
27-03-2006, 12:32 AM
i "think" its blue... not sure till tomoz when i can confirm that..

considering she struggles around here.. and nat sayin she was sick on the way from sydders.. i dont think she would..