PDA

View Full Version : VW Quality ? Anyone had Problems ?

vw50
08-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Hello all:

Has any member had quality issues with their VW? For some reason, the Saturday Herald (Sydney) 7 July 07, again has highligted issues with vw and quality. This time they mention the Golf. Before they had mentioned the Passat. They reckon they rate poorly in surveys. From what I have read within australia and O/S, quality does not appear to be an issue, except in the USA when they had a recall of '06 passats with tie rod and windscreen wiper problems.

Wheels mag gave the Mark v golf a great rap, as they did with the passat.

So far by new passat tdi is a dream. Any comments or ideas????

regards,

VW50.

brackie
08-07-2007, 04:19 PM
My Golf TDI has now done 15,000km and is a year old. Apart from the recall to reflash the ECU due to the radio flattening the battery, it's been a perfect ride. Absolutely no quality issues. :)

syncro
08-07-2007, 04:24 PM
I have heard of many issues with SA Golfs. A few of the earlier Golf 5s had the bodies rewelded due to water leaks.

Wand Weaver
08-07-2007, 05:12 PM
I think it can be quite variable, just like cars from any other marque. The problem that VW and other more upmarket makes face is that when people hand over more money than the equivalent sized Korean/Japanese car, they expect that the car will be absolutely impeccable. This will obviously not always be the case. Some model lines seem to be a little more affected than others - one look at the Polo forum will tell you that there's quite a few people who have had issues with their little Polos as far as build quality is concerned, whilst others have had nothing but impeccable service from their cars.

People who I've talked to and would certainly know what they're talking about say that a lot of European cars especially tend to be a bit more sensitive to neglect and abuse than cars from Korea and Japan (this is completely unrelated to the point I raised above about the Polo people having build quality issues). Why this is, is really a point for debate. I do know I've seen people in Golf V GTIs putting 91RON ULP into their tanks, along with people driving BMWs, Mercedes, Audis et al. I just know that's going to bite them, or the next owner of the car, in the ass - and will come to reflect poor reliabiity, even though the car was being run outside of manufacturer's specifications.

I've even seen people in M3s, STis and AMGs putting 91RON in - it really does make me cringe.

I've idly thought if these people even understood why doing what they're doing to save less than $5.00 (people spend more on coffee, daily) is especially bad - or whether they just don't give a toss because they're planning on selling the car when the warranty's up.

phaeton
08-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Well said Wand Weaver ;)

vw50
08-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Hello All:

Great replies........!!!!

Yes we pay extra for what supposed to be a quality item. We should expect and demand that the company meet those expections. What, re-welding earlier S.A. golfs due to water leakes!!!!!??? (Sounds like Merc's)Well this goes back to my ealier post of sticking to VW= a fine GERMAN product; made with GERMAN materials; made by people of the country who have a vested interst in the product: and should be subjected to those strict quality controls. Not farmed out all over the world for cheap labour. As far as i am concerned this will effect VW. I purchased a passat as it is of GERMAN origin.

Has anyone from our site contacted VW Australia re any concerns?

At the end of the day, we as a motoring country, and us who favour VW's, are supposed to put up with any defects from VW (considering the euro to our $) or do we go out and get a Ford or Holden????

Thank you,

VW50

REDMKVGTI
08-07-2007, 10:06 PM
As has been said, people pay more for a european car than they do for a car of asian origin so naturally they expect more, and will complain about smaller niggles...

A friend of mine has this theory that people that drive euro cars are wankers and like to whine more, but he drives a commonwhore. Enough said, agreed?

My personal experience, my sisters hand-me-down volvo 850 has ticked over 380,000k with no major issues, my mums golf (MKIV) has ticked over 95,000ks with no issues, dads "new" Volvo S70 is about to notch up 100,000ks with no issues.

My previous mazda (2003 model) went through assorted faulty gear box components, leaky seals and funny random burning smells before I ditched it at 75,000ks.

As a general rule look after it, and it will look after you.

syncro
09-07-2007, 09:34 AM
As has been said, people pay more for a european car than they do for a car of asian origin so naturally they expect more, and will complain about smaller niggles...

Rewelding the body is not a small niggle.

The only thing European is the price.
SA Mercedes and BMWs have problems also.

gtimk5
10-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Most manufacturers have problems.
I have in my workshop today, a Holden Adventurer, (04 Commodore 4wd wagon) that has never been off road or treated roughly. It has had 2 factory recalls and has 39,000 kms on the clock. Front wheel brgs. have gone already!
Seems to be the way of the world these days........
Andrew :)

anarchycamp
10-07-2007, 01:15 PM
I purchased a passat as it is of GERMAN origin.

The unfortunate thing is that doesnt matter where in the world it is made/designed, if someone is having a bad day, got a hangover, thier cat died etc etc a small lapse in "quality" from when the car is a twinkle in a designers eye through to Hans Lieberman putting in the last dash screw can affect the car from that point on.

Quality (generally) relies on people and process(created by people)..and people naturally stuff up, regardless of nationality. :(

JustCruisn
10-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Yep most people expect 100% more when paying 20% more for something. As far as quality goes I'm happy with my VW. I had a Lancer and it had heaps of problems, water pump, brake lines, engine mounts, heater core cracked, plastic clips broke etc etc. It had to be serviced every few months as well.
The VW goes a whole year before it needs a check up. The total servicing bill is less for the VW over a year as well. The water pump did die but it was 13months since the previous service. Thats the only problem I've had. Id buy another one no worries.

DaveMack
11-07-2007, 12:00 AM
I agree. I had a '97 Toymota Corolla from new and before it hit 80,000 it was beginning to incur major defects (wiring, suspension, etc) and it had been treated with great respect from day one. Unlike other Polo GTI drivers, I've had no complaints about mine (in nearly 18 months and 16,000 ks ... long may it last :)).

Dave

gtimk5
11-07-2007, 02:23 PM
The Holden Adventurer 4wd wagon that is here at the moment had a recall last week. By the looks of it, it has new front brake hoses. Thats an 04 model with 39,000 kms on it. Wouldn't have been a cheap car either.
Andrew :)