PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts after several months?

tooch
10-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Hey all,
Just wondering how you guys are finding your Jettas after several months of driving them?

I test drove a 147 TSI yesterday, and drive and handling wise it was great, but I can't say I was overly confident about the interior build quality. Some of the gaps between components, plastic quality etc don't seem as well finished as other VW cars. I've read on US forums some people having issues with headliners and C-Pillars and the like.

It ticks most of the boxes otherwise for me, and I think they look great.

Any feedback good or bad?

frozze
10-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Loving mine so far. Yes, the build quality is definitely below par (it is built in Mexico afterall) compared with the likes of Golf or Passat but for me, the good outweighs the cons. I have no issues with the headliners or C-Pillars but I did have the wastegate rattle (only on the 147TSI). The dealer fixed it without any problems.

I find myself constantly looking for excuses to drive the car.. even taking longer routes, especially my drive back from my missus via Albert Park.

I test drove all 3 variant, 118TSI - 103TDI and 147TSI, the 147TSI wins hands down.

Did you get an offer on the 147TSI?

tooch
10-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks mate :)

Didn't get an offer yet on a 147, but if I were looking for one, what sort of price should I be angling for? Possibly with a sunroof and maybe nav.

frozze
10-01-2012, 02:29 PM
I paid just under $42k for mine with sunroof, sports pack and electric seats in candy white (less $500 for non metallic paint)

Satnav will add another $2500 (or $3500 if it's dealer fitted).

Have a browse through carsales.com.au to get a rough idea.. or check vw australia's website and get the recommended drive away price. You can add the satnav price and sunroof (about $1000 IIRC) to that base price of the 147TSI and get a rough idea.

tooch
10-01-2012, 02:39 PM
That actually sounds pretty good! Which dealer did you go to?

And the sports pack just includes different wheels and tint right?

frozze
10-01-2012, 02:45 PM
South Yarra.. it was the closest to me!

Yup, sports pack only include black wheels (same as the stock 147 TSI, just painted black) and yes, "tint" aka privacy glass aka coloured glass instead of actual tint and only on the rear passenger windows.. I had my whole car tinted after that, worth doing IMO.

Have a look at my 147TSI with sports pack and proper tints.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f155/new-jetta-whos-got-63167-8.html#post751838

tooch
10-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Looks nice man! The tint really sets it off.

I am thinking of a black or graphite one if we decide on the Jetta, would look magic with dark tint I think.

anthony
10-01-2012, 09:07 PM
As a matter of interest tooch,what other cars are you considering ???

tooch
11-01-2012, 04:38 AM
Hi mate, I've looked at a fair few cars:

-Lexus is250 (budget limited me to used ones, lovely car but SLOW)
-Accord Euro (build quality and features are second to none, but uninspiring to drive)
-Audi A4 (budget limits me to used ones, don't like the idea of CVT tranny)
-Skoda Octavia VRS (love it, 5 year warranty at the moment, still considering it against the Jetta, worried about resale on Skoda though)

There's probably more, but those are the main ones I've strongly considered :)

anthony
11-01-2012, 07:29 AM
I had a 2007 Jetta,which I loved,but went for the Accord Euro.

A few things put me off the Jetta.
1.Boot door not carpeted,looks very plasticky.
2.Cup holders not covered,looking very cheap.
3.No coins holder.

Small things,but a downgrade IMHO from the Jetta 5.
Also,I had rattles,and nothing drives me more crazy.

According to www.vwvortex.com,this is still an issue.

The Euro was my first Honda after 4 VWs,and has been a very enjoyable purchase,the dealers have been great,the finish is second to none,and IMHO is brilliant value.

Check it out VERY carefully...

tooch
11-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks Anthony.
I was almost sold on the Accord Euro, but was totally disappointed in its performance. It looks awesome, it's built incredibly well, and features everything I could want in a car. But it bored me to sleep driving it :(. The engine lacks torque, and the auto tranny sucks the life out of the drive.

If it came with a 2.0T and a DSG it would be the absolute ideal car for me! :D

frozze
11-01-2012, 08:21 AM
The Euro was the biggest contender for me when I was considering the Jetta. For about the same price with my Jetta, I could have gotten the Luxury Navi which had more equipment over the Jetta like the Bi-Xenon, Satnav, RVC, paddle shifters (all which were REALLY IMPORTANT to me when I was deciding on the new car - I WANTED to have all these new gadgets) etc. But in the end, it just didn't really excite me at all (the performance, drive, styling - didn't like the look on the MY12 styling). Sure the Jetta isn't as well equipped or built like the Euro but I'm loving it more and more each day. I find myself staring at it.. a lot... haha.

Good luck, coz you're gonna need it! They're both great cars IMO.

spidermanyan
11-01-2012, 09:09 AM
bought new jetta 147, before purchased this car, i tried honda accord euro, subaru liberty. they all very nice and good quality cars, but won't made me excited about driving. the only one made me excited was subaru liberty GT, but its way over my budget. one of the reason made me purchasing this car was the price, my jetta got sunroof, Satnav,black pearl print and towbar for $42500. i guess its better value than Euro.

frozze
11-01-2012, 09:25 AM
That's a really good price! Well done!

ziggyboy
12-01-2012, 08:07 AM
bought new jetta 147, before purchased this car, i tried honda accord euro, subaru liberty. they all very nice and good quality cars, but won't made me excited about driving. the only one made me excited was subaru liberty GT, but its way over my budget. one of the reason made me purchasing this car was the price, my jetta got sunroof, Satnav,black pearl print and towbar for $42500. i guess its better value than Euro.
'Grats on the new car!

Car enthusiasts can argue endlessly about specs but at the end of the day, we'll go with who we fall for :P Fell in love with the Jetta and that's all that matters.

spidermanyan
12-01-2012, 09:18 AM
exactly!

IMO choosing a car is very personal, you got feeling, and you love it. I don't believe these is a "best car" in the market for everyone, otherwise the other car manufacturers won't sell any car. you only can choose the best car for yourself. jetta is the one for us now!

when we planned to buy a new car, actualy jetta wasn't on my list until we test drove it. totally surprised us. my girlfriend love the feeling, so do I.

I guess maybe because i owned Bora v5 before and missing the joy that Bora brought to us.

I think VW done a lot of work on the cost of car that made this car more affordable. new car price is lower than pervious model and warranty is much better now which gives me peace of mind for own it.

our dollar is very strong, gives you a lot of bargain power to european cars!!!!!