PDA

View Full Version : Bi-xenon Headlights and LED Daytime Running Lights

phaeton
10-01-2012, 10:46 AM
At this year Detriot show VW have revealed the Jetta Hybrid with bi-xenon headlights and LED Daytime Running Lights

So perhaps we will see this as an option for the 2013MY ;)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid: Detroit 2012 Photos Photo Gallery - Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-volkswagen-jetta-hybrid-detroit-2012-photos/full/#photo-4727983/)

Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid: Detroit 2012 - vwwatercooled (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/2012/01/world-premiere-of-the-new-jetta-hybrid-in-detroit/)

frozze
10-01-2012, 10:50 AM
That was the first thing I looked out for when I saw the announcement!

Hopefully it's a drop in replacement. I'd buy that in a heart beat!

mythik
20-01-2012, 04:25 PM
It'll probably be like most VAG Bi-Xenon retrofits. Requiring a CECM module change, wiring change, headlight change and coding change.

Not really cheap. :(

momall
28-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Hi Folks,
Am looking to get a Jetta 147 TSI. I spoke to the Salesmen at Denlo and apparently they have released a bulletin which advises that the MY13 build will have Xenon's and rear camera as options. He had no firm price etc, but looks like we can order cars with this spec now :-)

Hitman20
30-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Some interesting information regarding this. Last week I had a conversation with another international of VWVortex who asked me a question about the potential for release of the HID + DLR as a part of the MY13 range and my response was such (have removed members name for privacy)

Hey I see you're from Melbourne, Australia and thus have the Euro spec Jetta. I live outside the US so also have a euro spec Jetta. Have you heard any news about bi-xenon headlights with LEDs coming to the euro spec Jetta?

Haven't heard a lot / nothing at all. But working on a theory I have which relates to the use of such light fittings in the VW golf (euro spec models for the purpose of this discussion) the Bi-xenon / led combo is only available on the VW golf GTI and Gold R models. In the Jetta line up this is mirrored by only being available in the Gli model (and the recently added hybrid), so until such point in time as VWAus intends to bring in the Gli or hybrid model (likelihood of hybrid is much greater than Gli, but not good either because the Jetta isnt a big selling range in Aus, thus no business case) I would not expect to see any of the euro Jetta's running the bi-xenon / led combo unless that lighting was rolled out as a part of a major update across the entire euro range, or one of the above scenarios occurred.(sic)

However more recently than this conversation this thread has also popped up on the VWVortex forums of a U.S member who bought some from parts and installed them in his base model Jetta, he has listed his installation process and hardware, needless to say, not a drop in. See thread (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5705946-MK6-HID-s!-Woot-Woot!) here.

Hope this helps anyone interesed, Brad

ziggyboy
31-08-2012, 01:36 AM
Hi Brad, I fairly active in the VWVortex Jetta VI forum and this is what I have gathered so far:

* The OEM LED headlights is not plug n play and you'd need to map the wires which has been a pain for a few people over in VWVortex. AFAIK the headlights have got the adjusting motors but they haven't gotten that one to work properly.

* There is a Chinese knockoff of the headlights, are plug and play (harness is 100% compatible with our Jettas), but do not have the motors. People have been having problems adjusting the height of the low beams.

I will probably buy the OEM version when someone has completely mapped the wires or a conversion harness comes out...

Kojmeister
18-09-2012, 02:18 AM
Hey mates, just wanna bring this thread up again as I have just taken delivery of my Jetta.

I really wanna secure some sweet cambus LEDs for my DRLs. Have been searching a few sellers like ecs tuning (good product but bloody ex shipping costs, which is the cost of the product ) and some sellers on fleabay (I think the product was called AGT leds). Price seems to vary quite significantly and I'm questioning myself whether forking out the cash is really worth it ?

Any input or perhaps a general direction to lead me in getting some of these would be appreciated from my fellow jetta owners !

ziggyboy
18-09-2012, 12:21 PM
This thread's got everything you wanna know: VWVortex.com - Jb's Offical Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5317887-Jb-s-Offical-Jetta6-HID-LED-Bulb-Guide)

Kojmeister
18-09-2012, 06:46 PM
This thread's got everything you wanna know: VWVortex.com - Jb's Offical Jetta6 HID/LED Bulb Guide (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5317887-Jb-s-Offical-Jetta6-HID-LED-Bulb-Guide)

Thanks for the link mate but went through the post 3 times.. just wanted to know whether anyone too bought from any reputable buyers thats all.

Will try to see similar products on fleabay and give em a go.:cool:

ziggyboy
19-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Most eBay ones work, but watch out for some that throw errors. License plates are notorious for throwing them. I wrote a DIY to solder some resistors on them: VWVortex.com - DIY: LED license light error permanent removal (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5584355-DIY-LED-license-light-error-permanent-removal)

Kojmeister
19-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Most eBay ones work, but watch out for some that throw errors. License plates are notorious for throwing them. I wrote a DIY to solder some resistors on them: VWVortex.com - DIY: LED license light error permanent removal (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5584355-DIY-LED-license-light-error-permanent-removal)

No wurries mate. Thanks for the heads up. Definitely saw your DIY but I have no faith in my soldering skills lol. Will see how we go anyways. Cheers

Kojmeister
21-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Hey fellow members, was browsing thru fleabay when I came across this...

Jetta Mk6 OEM Bixenon Led Head lights | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jetta-Mk6-OEM-Bixenon-Led-Head-lights-/261099920496?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccac49c70)

So sexy and nice... reckon its worth it and simply a bolt,plug and play job?:confused:

ziggyboy
23-09-2012, 06:13 AM
Hey fellow members, was browsing thru fleabay when I came across this...

Jetta Mk6 OEM Bixenon Led Head lights | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jetta-Mk6-OEM-Bixenon-Led-Head-lights-/261099920496?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccac49c70)

So sexy and nice... reckon its worth it and simply a bolt,plug and play job?:confused:

That's not plug and play. And the seller is OEMVAGPARTS from VWVortex. They've got some installation threads there and AFAIK they haven't got everything working properly yet (eg. headlight motors not working).

Rawcpoppa
20-11-2012, 03:49 AM
VW Germany has begun offering thse as an option on their Jettas on their konfiguration web page. The parts seem to be scarce.

Sourced from vwvortex's fork_rus' post the parts needed for retrofit are:

1. Headlights 5C7941753C & 5C7941754C
2. Level sensor 1K0 941 273 N
3. CU 5M0 907 357 F Z0F
4. 2 x 1J0 973 737 connector
5. 2 x HID ballast 8K0941597E
6. 2 x 4H0 941 329 CU (probably will be as part of headlights, need to be verified)
7. Wire harness
8. 5 x TORX M5x16 (for level sensor

Bloovo
23-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Contacted VW in Sydney to find the new headlight can only purchase with the car as pre order from manufacture. Is that right? have anyone purchase a genuine one yet? I can see heaps of aftermarket ones on ebay.

phaeton
23-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Its in the current MY2013 brochure as an option ;)

sportspack
23-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Its in the current MY2013 brochure as an option ;)

I just ordered it as an option :) - 147 Highline

phaeton
24-01-2013, 05:48 PM

Cool and congrats :D, be sure to post pics ;)

DoggiesUtd
25-02-2013, 02:43 PM

how much did you pay extra for it? $2500?

did you get the car yet?
i have one on the way to me.....unfortunately no bi-xenons...was meant to the buy the 118tsi...but already stretched as far as i could for the highline

frozze
03-04-2013, 08:16 AM
I've seen a few Jettas lately with the bi-xenon headlights and they do look good!

Itching to do a retrofit on mine. Quite a bit of hassle though!

Anyone else considering doing or have done a retrofit on their existing Jetta?

DoggiesUtd
03-04-2013, 08:59 AM
i have only seen a handful of jettas in Sydney...and maybe only 2 of them were highlines!
none with bi-xenon.....wish i could of got them...oh well not to be...still waiting to get my car...its now in the country...so shouldnt be too far away

Rawcpoppa
04-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Frozze I am also thinking of doing the retrofit. It's quite pricey but also mechanically tedious. I want to do it just because it is tedious :)

I had no idea why they were so expensive till I started researching. Do you have a midline central electrics control module? Will you also adding the auto leveling sensors on your axles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wys
23-05-2013, 12:18 AM
Saw one tonight with the 'new' LED + xenon jetta...looks pretty good, but not sure why we don't get the LED tailights as well...

DoggiesUtd
23-05-2013, 10:55 AM
they look **** awesome...wish i got one with the xenons...but would have had to wait another 3+months for it to be built...and i needed a car!
wish u culd also fit them yourself...but its a mission.....

Rawcpoppa
23-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Anyone has pics? Do you guys get led tails as well? I was on vw Australia but didn't see xenons as an option for the jetta.

DoggiesUtd
23-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Anyone has pics? Do you guys get led tails as well? I was on vw Australia but didn't see xenons as an option for the jetta.

definately an option now...2012 Volkswagen Jetta 1B 147TSI Highline MY13 Direct-Shift Gearbox (http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/volkswagen-jetta-2012-14707748?base=&vertical=Car&cr=2&eapi=2&__N=4294962746%204294962496%201247%201282%201252%2 01246%201216&find=xenon%7cCarAll&silo=Stock&num=15&sort=default)

momall
24-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Mine has xenons. They are pretty cool. they tend to swivel as you drive around the corner... Neat! will try and get some pics over the weekend...

momall
24-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Some Pics at my SkyDrive.
I don't think the tail lights are led, are they?http://sdrv.ms/11e8q3z

s4206465
24-05-2013, 11:58 AM
So I had a talk to the parts department (they then asked a mechanic who is also a diagnostic technician) about what it needs to be done to make the OEM Bi-xenon to work. He said it would cost around triple of what u would need to pay for factory fitted lights. 1.7 per head-light (including ignition and bulb) plus u would need a new electrics control module and something else (can't remember). Need to re-code the car and maybe increase voltage output on the headlights to run it. You would also need to get brand new wiring for the engine bay which costs about 3k. The technician also stated that during a training session for him for VW down at Melbourne (I think), one of them did this project on a car and it took them 4 days to fit everything (about $150/hr). It wasn't just as simple as taking off the headlights and front bumper. On top it voids the warranty since you are putting on genuine but not stock items in the vehicle.

By doing the above you would get everything working AS the factory optioned OEM Bi-xenon lights except I'm assuming it won't have the headlight washer if you don't own a Highline.

Long story short I think its easier to wait for one that does have the lights :/.

Rawcpoppa
24-05-2013, 08:22 PM
I've read some DIY retrofits of bi-xenons on golf mk6 on another site. The technician is right in that it is a tedious job. Dunno about a new wiring harness for the engine bay though. Maybe a couple repair wires or a wiring adaptor for the new headlights. The auto leveling sensor is another thing to be added.

It would be helpful if the guys with bi-xenon headlights could do a vcds scan on their cars to see what control modules are different.

momall
25-05-2013, 06:15 AM
I don't have a vcds tool, if someone has one in Sydney, around Newington then happy to let them do the scan

19-06-2013, 04:25 PM
I have found these..... 2012 VW Jetta/Sagitar LED headlight -- -Volkswagen LED headlight -- 产品展示 -- Win power International Technology Co.,Ltd Official Website (http://www.wplamps.com/Showprot.aspx?id=305) ...... What are we all thinking Good, Great, Rubbish?? I have sent them an email asking them if they are plug and play , if you need to cut wires and move things around and so on . They sent me back : They are plug and play but need coding to take the warning light off the dash. You dont have to cut the wires you use the plug from the cars wiring harness and you can order them to use HID bulbs($470.00 USD) or normal bulbs ($420.00 USD).. Shipping $165.00USD. PS they are RHD as well!!

ope126
19-06-2013, 06:19 PM
I have found these..... 2012 VW Jetta/Sagitar LED headlight -- -Volkswagen LED headlight -- 产“•示 -- Win power International Technology Co.,Ltd Official Website (http://www.wplamps.com/Showprot.aspx?id=305) ...... What are we all thinking Good, Great, Rubbish?? I have sent them an email asking them if they are plug and play , if you need to cut wires and move things around and so on . They sent me back : They are plug and play but need coding to take the warning light off the dash. You dont have to cut the wires you use the plug from the cars wiring harness and you can order them to use HID bulbs($470.00 USD) or normal bulbs ($420.00 USD).. Shipping $165.00USD. PS they are RHD as well!!

They look good. But I have also read that some of the copy lamps do not work with the levelling for up and down i.e. they do not have motors in them. Correct me if I am wrong, maybe a question for them?

Try and work them down on the shipping!

20-06-2013, 08:51 AM
They look good. But I have also read that some of the copy lamps do not work with the levelling for up and down i.e. they do not have motors in them. Correct me if I am wrong, maybe a question for them?

Try and work them down on the shipping!

Thats most probably true that they dont come with motors to self level . But if you buy the normal headlight bulb ones you dont need self leveling and will not get defected for the HIDs. If there is some good feed back about these headhights i will talk him down on shipping ...

ope126
20-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Thats most probably true that they dont come with motors to self level . But if you buy the normal headlight bulb ones you dont need self leveling and will not get defected for the HIDs. If there is some good feed back about these headhights i will talk him down on shipping ...

Sorry, I was not talking about self levelling i.e OEM Bi-Xenons (self levelling with headligh washers).
I am just talking about the internal dial that can move the beam up / down via a switch. I am lead to believe that these Chinese Headlights might not have the motor in the headligh assembly, thus making that particular function void.

OEM Bi-Xenons have sensors at the front and back and does not have an internal switch to raise / lower the headlight beam.

They still look good though...

Rawcpoppa
11-10-2013, 12:19 AM
So decided to start putting things in place for this installation. Just ordered a new CECM (BCM) that is supposed to work with OEM Bi-xenon headlights with LED drls. My current BCM is 5k0937086M and ordered 5k0937087R. Lots of other parts to order before I can start.

ope126
11-10-2013, 10:15 AM
So decided to start putting things in place for this installation. Just ordered a new CECM (BCM) that is supposed to work with OEM Bi-xenon headlights with LED drls. My current BCM is 5k0937086M and ordered 5k0937087R. Lots of other parts to order before I can start.

Keep us up to date - sounds interesting...