PDA

View Full Version : RE: 3.5 Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator

ope126
07-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Hi Guys,

After some input here...

I am after added performance for minimal outlay. :rolleyes:

I am aware that the stock 1.8L runs a 3.0 Bar FPR.

I have just installed a Turbosmart Manual Boost Controller (Tee Piece), after checking initial Boost 6 - 7psi; I just raised it to around 9psi (Big Difference!) :D:D:D

Anyway, I have heared that these cars can get starved of fuel under high boost / load in high gears.

I was thinking of adding a 3.5 Bar FPR and increasing the boost so it spikes; but holds a constant 12psi.

Now the car is currentley stock with only the addition of a K&N Panel Air Filter, full service history, synthetic oil etc.

However I have not modded exhaust / intercooler etc. In fact, I will never make mods to these areas due to cost / noise etc. (Personal Choice!)

If I was to add it and raise the boost again, I would get the car dynoed to check the boost/timing/air fuel mixtures etc.

So what are your thoughts!

Is th the 3.5 Bar FPR a waste of time?
Will it work with standad ecu, or will the A/F ratios be upset?
Is 12psi too much? (I put the boost guage on my mates MK4 GTI with an Oettinger Chip and it returned 12 -13psi!)
Will the stock 3.0 Bar FPR be able to cope with the increased boost?

I have searched / looked in depth on the vwvortex website, however they talk more about the 4.0 Bar FPR and generally don't give straight answers.

Thoughts / ideas...

Glenn

ope126
08-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Back again...

I do know that there is also another dircetion that I can go;
- Silicone Tubo inlet Pipe (from airbox to turbo)
- Silicone Throttle Body to Intercoler Pipe
- Replace Pancake pipe (Lower Intercooler Pipe)
- TT Air Vent Kit for guard area.

But I would like to retain the stock apperance as much as possble, so that might rule out most of the above. Unless someone can convince me otherwise to the performance gains vs boost / 3.5 Bar FPR...:?

An no...I will not be going out to spend more than $1000.00 on a computer / chip!

Glenn

Oli
08-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Hi mate
I try with 4 bar reg,stock ecu,it wont go....put back 3 bar again.

Oli

ope126
08-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Hi mate
I try with 4 bar reg,stock ecu,it wont go....put back 3 bar again.

Oli

When you say it wont go; ECU dosen't respond to change / idles rough / no fuel delivery??? What do you mean?

That is why I thought I would go with the 3.5Bar FPR, as it is a happy medien. Also not much has been talked about in relation to the 3.5Bar FPR as it is still only fairly new on the market, so not too many people have had experiences with it.
I have heared that some Audi's A3/A4/S3/S4 VW Passat use a 4.0Bar FPR on stock 1.8L Turbo. Maybe they recalibrate the ecu?

Glenn

fuzion
08-07-2007, 10:30 AM
you wont spend the $$ to get a chip and do things right which you will get a decent result, but you will spend, $80-200 here there to try get what a chip is getting (smoothly/safely) for that matter.. dude! :P

anyone who has a chipped golf can tell you the HUGE difference their getting!

save and get one :P you wont regret it!

i got 127.4kw and still missing a beat too with the chip and mods. without any mods i still his the 115+ mark. stock is 85-90. with a mbc you would be around the 90-95 mark

gpk_gti
08-07-2007, 10:41 AM
- Silicone Tubo inlet Pipe (from airbox to turbo)
- Silicone Throttle Body to Intercoler Pipe
- Replace Pancake pipe (Lower Intercooler Pipe)
- TT Air Vent Kit for guard area.

these things you have mentioned are good,especially the TIP,as for the intercooler pipework,its good but not that noticable,maybe more noticable in hotter weather.you can change the lower turbo inlet pipe,which I have a second hand ABD racing one here,which does not need to change all the pipework,check my how to on installing a TIP for picks of the differences.

now,that in it self was a BIG difference in power,the stock one is very restrictive.TT vent mod,talk to shaneth for differences.Chips,,,well um,,,if I had my time again,I would have gone for a HALTECh or something similar that can be independantly tuned to the mods and car requirements,and best of all ,its interchangable with your car.another mod you can do thats "stock" is get your self a k03s of ebay or similar,bolt on,and feel the difference instantly! keep us up to date with your progress!!
have you noticed any problems with the car since adding the boost controller??

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=3885

DUB 20V
08-07-2007, 10:47 AM
these things you have mentioned are good,especially the TIP,as for the intercooler pipework,its good but not that noticable,maybe more noticable in hotter weather.you can change the lower turbo inlet pipe,which I have a second hand ABD racing one here,which does not need to change all the pipework,check my how to on installing a TIP for picks of the differences.

now,that in it self was a BIG difference in power,the stock one is very restrictive.TT vent mod,talk to shaneth for differences.Chips,,,well um,,,if I had my time again,I would have gone for a HALTECh or something similar that can be independantly tuned to the mods and car requirements,and best of all ,its interchangable with your car.another mod you can do thats "stock" is get your self a k03s of ebay or similar,bolt on,and feel the difference instantly! keep us up to date with your progress!!
have you noticed any problems with the car since adding the boost controller??

go haltech you cant go wrong...............

shami
08-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey gpk,

the ko3, is that a direct bolt on without any other mods required???

h100vw
08-07-2007, 11:46 AM
KO3s bolts straight on, no mods but you need new software to get the best from it.

Gavin

fuzion
08-07-2007, 11:51 AM
k03s (k03 sport)
k04

same deal with both, for about $150-350US you can get a k0s3.

alternatively you can get a k04 for $900us new too

shami
08-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Does that mean i cant use the oettinger chip i have??? Probably not...

fuzion
08-07-2007, 11:55 AM
welll yes and no

yes, you will have to pay another x amount of dollars to get another for the k03s or k04 program

and no, i am serious.. lol

giac offer free upgrades for their customers apparently, so if u got a k03 chip and oyu upgrade to k03s/k04/gt28 you can get another chip free

but if you also go a haltch etc you could do the same by tuning it specifically.

ope126
08-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks for all the input guys, but can anyone help with the following;

Is 12psi too much for the stock turbo? (I put the boost guage on my mates MK4 GTI with an Oettinger Chip and it returned 12 -13psi!)

And once again, a $1000.00+ chip is out of the question.

Glenn

fuzion
08-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, but can anyone help with the following;

Is 12psi too much for the stock turbo? (I put the boost guage on my mates MK4 GTI with an Oettinger Chip and it returned 12 -13psi!)

And once again, a $1000.00+ chip is out of the question.

Glenn

my 2psi would be to save and grab a chip when you have the money dude. you definately wont regret it, that or a standalone.

12 isnt to much but imo i wouldnt be doing it from what ive read/heard from people! but saying that some ppl hve no issues..

im sure everyone will give an opinion on this however!

shami
08-07-2007, 12:51 PM
I agree with Fuzion get it chipped...it does cost a bit but oh soo worth it!

gpk_gti
08-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Hey gpk,

the ko3, is that a direct bolt on without any other mods required???

Does that mean i cant use the oettinger chip i have??? Probably not...

sure you can but you just wont get the most out of it as Gavin has said.I bolted my k03s in before most of my mods and although KW stayed roughly the same ,torque jumped to approx 290atw.so you will notice a huge difference.but word of warning,changing your turbo is a HUGE job,at least 6hrs!!!!
did you purchase the oettinger chip from a official seller here in aust?

ope126---- wats with the fpr?? I wouldnt bother,but do you know something we dont??:D,,,

shami
09-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Yeap i got an oettinger chip done by Muller and Muller

gpk_gti
09-07-2007, 02:27 PM
have you rung muller and asked them if they will offer a free remap if you go k03s/k04??

fuzion
09-07-2007, 03:08 PM
have you rung muller and asked them if they will offer a free remap if you go k03s/k04??

if they do (without charging) he will have to give them his ecu again as im sure you know... that the oettinger chips are soldered in.

gpk_gti
09-07-2007, 03:47 PM
yeah I did know that,but there is no harm in him asking them..

shami
09-07-2007, 04:52 PM
:DWell thats true, he's a nice bloke...but i've never thought about that. I'll definetly keep it in mind if i do go down that path. But if there aren't any significant gains whats the point?? Im gonna get my down pipe done and the n75j done. Hopefully all before the cruise to the mountains so i can keep up with some of you fellas..:cool:

shami
09-07-2007, 04:54 PM
What do you think about the massive packed APR provide?? The video clips of the GTI drag racing are absolutely awesome..

DUB 20V
09-07-2007, 05:22 PM
What do you think about the massive packed APR provide?? The video clips of the GTI drag racing are absolutely awesome..

thats about $10.000 in that set up does hunt tho :)

oh i have a n75j if you dont have one for sale

Bboy_Sparx
10-07-2007, 06:21 AM
PM sent

KTHANKSBYE

ope126
10-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks for all the input guys...

Will keep you informed of my progress.

Glenn