PDA

View Full Version : Crafter for travelling - Traction?

Zombie
04-01-2012, 01:27 PM
G'day all,

I am wondering what kind of traction the standard Crafter 35 MWB has?

I became bogged in my T5 on some wet grass with minimal slope (almost flat), and just could not get any grip at all.

I plan to us the Crafter for a bedroom, and tow a converted horse float with shower/toilet + Kitchen weighing approximately 1700kgs, but am worried the Crafter would not have enough traction on slippery surfaces even though it is rear wheel drive?

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks,
Grant.

phaeton
05-01-2012, 05:12 AM
Hi Grant,

Did you take air out the tyres for traction?

To be honest not sure whether you'll get an answer on this one, although Crafter does have special rear tyres at the back (not dual wheel) perhaps added weight in the back of a Crafter will give traction I don't really know???

Good Luck.

Zombie
11-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks,

Yep it was a bit of a dumb question with many variables, I guess I was just wondering what others thought of their Crafters and if there were any obvious drawbacks to using one for travelling.

Thanks again.

idaho
11-01-2012, 09:24 AM
A friend had the Mercedes version of the Crafter and unless the rear axle had serious weight on it the traction was woeful. I suspect a bedroom conversion would not be enough weight (particularly with a tandem axle trailer) to venture off a sealed surface with confidence.

spiderpig
15-01-2012, 11:25 AM
I use my MWB crafter for everyday use and carrying dirtbikes, its pretty ordinary on wet grass... but so are most 2wd veichles. Momentum is key, but as the crafter has traction control, as soon as one wheel starts spinning it kicks in, cuts the engine revs down/applies brakes and stops you in your tracks, just when you want revs to stay up... You can turn TC off, but it seems to turn itself automaticly back on...