PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic lifter head covert to solid ?

Geoffrey Hale
01-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Hi all
Any one know about converting a hydraulic lifter head to solid lifter and then bolting to a 1.6 block.
I understand about blocking the extra drain back and reducing the diameter of the other.
I'm assuming that through machining you could organize the comp ratio.
Would you have to block any other galleries off like the spray thing which is where the bearing cap would be on the solid?
Would you use solid lifter cam and buckets and shims ?
Any ideas would be thankfully received.
Happy new year Geoff

Peter Jones
01-01-2012, 09:31 PM
It's possible Geoff but could be expensive.

You wouldn't bother with the 1600 style buckets, there's one type from a Fiat I think that uses lash caps on the valve stem rather than shims.

Valve stem lengths and diameters could be another issue.

Schrick used to do a conversion kit.

USRT has something that might be of interest.

8v RACE Lifter set [LIFTRACE8] - $199.00 : USRT, Usually Sideways Rally Team (http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_132_126_122&products_id=1350)

You can get custom lash caps easily enough.

PRECISION SHIMS AUSTRALIA | INLET SHIMS | EXHAUST SHIMS | VALVE SHIMS (http://www.precisionshims.com.au/a/Precision-Shims-Australia)

Geoffrey Hale
02-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Hi .. Thanks for that. I guess I might start by pulling the one I have which is off an 1845cc Audi SD code engine. Never looked at a hyd lifter before. It's about staying in a 1600cc class for autocross series. The valve size and ports are great on these heads compaired to the stock 1.6 so if I can get it to work it would be a lot cheaper than getting a 1.6 head ported and big valves. Cost a fortune for a top job.
Cheers
Geoff

gldgti
06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
To look at it another way, you could try and find/convert a 1600 hyraulic diesel block to use with the hyd gas head. then you only have to swap the IM shaft and perhaps muck around with your pistons a bit. bore and stroke is 76.5x88.0 mm. would make for quite a torquey little engine i'd think.

* dont know if the valves on the bigger head would be a problem with the smaller bore.

Geoffrey Hale
06-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Hi
Well that's another angle on it. Certainly an 88mm stroke would give it some torque. Cheers Geoff