PDA

View Full Version : Quarter windows

Hydrophobic
01-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi,
Another thing with my mk1 is the quater windows. One has been glued shut with urathane as there is no latch/look the other is also missing it's lock/latch. I have been told that these are problematic and to glue the drivers one shut as well. I would rather not do this as I like airflow through the cabin. Is there a way to permanently fix the latch (i have been told that replacement latches just fall off over time) or is there a one piece window kit available?
any help would be appriciated.

syncro
01-03-2006, 01:43 PM
The replacement ones have the bolt through the glass, but you need a bank loan to buy them. Or you can buy fixed ones as fitted to Golfs from other countries.

Golf Loon
01-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Goto the wreckers and look at 80s model Toyota Hilux. They have the same system with the latch, but it sits under the glass and so is stronger and doesn`t fall off!

imported_brackie
01-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Geez, Looney.... You and me must have been brought up in the same neighbourhood! I fixed the problem in the past (about to do it in the present) by going to the tip and finding an old Holden with quarter vents. The frame is made of brass (stainless steel in later models) and chromed. I cut off the bottom of the frame and Araldite it to the glass. Problem solved! (Hiluxes and Nissan Patrols have stainless steel framed quarter vents.)

Golf Loon
01-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Geez, Looney.... You and me must have been brought up in the same neighbourhood!

The ghettos of pommieland!

Its an easy fix. Not genuine, but a genuine improvement

82cab
02-03-2006, 11:45 AM
i've got a set of fixed quarters if you want to go that way

WABIT
03-03-2006, 08:54 AM
y do people want fixed quarters??? i like them alot

Golf Loon
03-03-2006, 11:24 AM
y do people want fixed quarters??? i like them alot

Fixed quarters look neater, people do want em, but they dont send cool air up your shorts like opening ones do. All Mk1 opening ones break.

syncro
03-03-2006, 12:54 PM
All Mk1 opening ones break.

Only the glued ones! But they all leak.

82cab
03-03-2006, 01:13 PM
That's why fixed quarters are agood option, unless you are rolling in money and can afford to buy new hinged ones.

WABIT
03-03-2006, 04:54 PM
i got good quarters... never had a problem with them..

wabit

Golf Loon
03-03-2006, 09:44 PM
i got good quarters... never had a problem with them..

wabit

Do they open?

WABIT
04-03-2006, 09:13 AM
yeahh, with no worries too

wabit

syncro
04-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Does anyone know when the bolt-through windows became available on new cars?

smithy010
23-06-2006, 01:36 PM
The glue on ones could be drilled and tapped. Then get your glazier to drill a couple of holes, and bob's your uncle. Have to make sure to burr the bolt heads or something- security is good :)

I'm planning on doing this next time mine falls off (i got the glazier to glue mine on, and it's been there for a good 6 months.)

Edison
23-06-2006, 05:44 PM
I cut off the bottom of the frame and Araldite it to the glass.
Does the araldite stick to the original hinges? i think they are stainless, and the new putty resin adhesive stuff doesn't stick to that type of metal. It holds the glass just enough, though after a day or two when the metal hinge let go I cleared the glass by fingernail, so it's not that strong.
I want to have the windows work proper and original as the car has no air-con, and loading up the motor that way is not wise when the quarters will do.

Can anyone recommend an adhesive that holds the stainless (is it stainless?) to the glass like the original adhesive?

Golf Loon
23-06-2006, 06:52 PM
All adhesives fall off, but Toyota Hiluxes use a similar stainless hinge system, but have a groove that the glass sits in and can be obtained for peanuts.

syncro
23-06-2006, 07:08 PM
All adhesives fall off, but Toyota Hiluxes use a similar stainless hinge system, but have a groove that the glass sits in and can be obtained for peanuts.

This sounds like the only cheap way to fix them successfully.

Photos Matt?

Golf Loon
23-06-2006, 07:09 PM
No photos, but a 1985ish hilux is the best parts donor.

smithy010
25-06-2006, 01:55 PM
My Glazier used a two part product by loctite. It has worked a treat so far.

82cab
25-06-2006, 08:05 PM
it's probably the same stuff you use to attach your rear view mirror to the windscreen with.

Edison
26-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Well the window is done one side now, this morn at like 4am i walked up to my car to find some woman with 4/5ths of her arm through the broken plastic 1/4 passgener window, i go 'what are you doing'
she's like [drunk] 'trying to get in'
I say 'i'ts my car' and she and her 1 female and 2 guy friends wander away and i follow and call 000 and they get into a taxi, the driver won't wait, and i follow and have to block the taxi, and the cops arrest her and ask me later if she should get a caution or charged and I don't care, and they had CCTV footage and said she told them a big pack of lies so they decide to charge her, well sucked in.
when i saw her i thought she'd be the 10th to be ransacking the car, but nothing was missing, just the window busted. so after 2 hours in the internet cafe i was doing well for timing, to walk up at that moment.
So as I have no offstreet parking I put the glass panel I got from our Golf Loon from the boot ( I am so lazy, had it for a month or two ) and put it in, all i could use was silicone as I had no suitable latch or adhesives.. oh well, it's probably going to stay that way till it gets broken again, because the Diesel golf is the one that will get any restoring energy I have, as it's the alternate energy one. (when i get it rego'd)

roccodingo
27-06-2006, 12:15 AM
You need a pet python to leave in the car when parked... keeps the mongrels out..;)

Edison
27-06-2006, 02:32 AM
Explains why I don't get troubled by pickpockets. j: