PDA

View Full Version : noisy driving.

GoLfMan
30-05-2005, 12:42 PM
my little 76 two door is a blast to drive but its soooo bloody noisy and it jumps (like a bunny hop) in low revs (1500rpm) in second when it shouldnt. im thinking its the CV joints. i am going to replace the CV joints and all wheel bearings in it to see if that helps. also in both the 77 and the 76 the exaust rattles around a fair bit. any suggestions?

imported_brackie
30-05-2005, 12:56 PM
my little 76 two door is a blast to drive but its soooo bloody noisy and it in low revs (1500rpm) in second when it shouldnt. im thinking its the CV joints. i am going to replace the CV joints and all wheel bearings in it to see if that helps. also in both the 77 and the 76 the exaust rattles around a fair bit. any suggestions?
Jumping.....jumps (like a bunny hop), maybe that's why they're called a Rabbit in the US.... sounds like engine/transmission mounts. The high torque in low gears really gives the front an back mounts some stick. The mount near the gear linkage usually goes first as it gets oil on it and is close to the downpipe.
Probably not CVs. They get very little wear in the straight ahead position. Give her a spin left and right on full lock. Knackered CVs will click if they need replacing.
Worn wheel bearings are probably the culprit. Rear ones are easy to check. Jack her up and give the wheels a spin. You'll feel roughness and hear noise if they are stuffed. Front ones are a different matter. It's a lot harder to spin the wheels when raised and because of the involvement of the drive shafts noise and roughness are more difficult to detect. In the past I have jacked a wheel, chocked the car and let the wheel spin in gear to find a worn bearing. Not recommending this...Just saying that I have done it! You can feel play in the front bearings by raising the car, grabbing the wheel and moving it from the top and bottom. The bearings have 2 races in them and you'll feel wear straight away. If you have to replace the front ones you'll need a press to do it properly.

GoLfMan
30-05-2005, 08:22 PM
thanks mate. thats a load off my mind with the CV joints and a load off my wallet! :) i it might be the wheel bearings so ill give them a shot next time i have i work with it. :)

Golf Loon
30-05-2005, 10:28 PM
4 speed manual boxes are often worn at the bottom of second. But probably mounts, back one can just come loose and front one sometimes does better with a space between the mount and the body.
Where is the exhaust hitting, middle of the car, or back box. middle of the car is related to your engine mounts rear box should have two rubbers on it and another one that looks like a rubber doorstop between the muffler and the bottom of the floor.
They are noisy cars, put a thick removal blanket under the carpet and up to the dash along the firewall . Cuts out heaps of noise :wink:

imported_brackie
31-05-2005, 06:17 AM
They are noisy cars, put a thick removal blanket under the carpet and up to the dash along the firewall . Cuts out heaps of noise :wink:
Or find a wrecked diesel and get the soundproofing out of that.

Golf Loon
31-05-2005, 09:50 AM
If you find a wrecked diesel, you should be keeping engine mounts, diesel tank and clutch and flywheel, all of which go nicely in an uprated petrol car.

imported_brackie
31-05-2005, 09:54 AM
The diesel clutch has extra springing supposedly to absorb the vibrations of the diesel engine. I'm not convinced of the need but it's definitely more capable of handling the diesel's torque. I would highly recommend it too, Looney.

Golf Loon
31-05-2005, 10:01 AM
GTIs, 16vs and Diesels had bigger clutches. The Diesel is the easiest to get in Oz.

GoLfMan
31-05-2005, 10:02 AM
yeh i dont mind the noise i just wanted to see that i wasnt alone in the fact that it is noisy. but i will check out the exaust and engine mounts..... thanks guys :)

SPC
04-07-2005, 04:54 PM
You are not alone,
my cabriolet is very noisy, mainly engine and exhaust noise, I am going to have to do some serious soundproofing. Might try the romoval blanket suggested above.
Also noticed in my restoration manual that they actualy fit a proper golf soundproofing kit. foil covered foam adhesive pads which seem to go on the inside of the panels in the engine bay, bonet, and rear hatch. I wonder if anyone has experience with these?

Golf Loon
04-07-2005, 08:18 PM
You can buy soundproofing kits through most car spares places, but if you rip the foil off, you are left with a removal blanket. I like the cheap option, particularly when it is hidden under the carpet.

Golfs left the factory with a soundproof mat attached to the underside of the bonnet. I have only seen one golf with one still atached in Oz. You could get one of them for noiseproofing.

Cabbys are noisy though, it might be the lack of roof :roll:

GoLfMan
04-07-2005, 08:25 PM
if the cheap option is a good option ill always take it.

imported_brackie
04-07-2005, 08:28 PM
The diesel has an under-bonnet blanket. If you can't find one from a wrecked diesel, any other make of car that has one will be a useful donor. You'll have to cut, glue and shape (and even perhaps make some clips) but the differnece in noise supression will be worth the effort.

el_foolio
04-07-2005, 08:30 PM
i have an "under bonnet blanket" lying around

GoLfMan
04-07-2005, 08:36 PM
how much do these removalist blankets usually cost?

peter_j_g
04-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Some years (20?) ago when I owned a 79 GLS 1.6 I added the under bonnet insulation from a diesel, and then later the centre muffler from a diesel. Suprise suprise, the car actually went better with the extra muffler and was much quieter! The slight increase in back pressure improved the mid range torque, with no noticable loss of power at high revs.

Cheers...PG

sammk1
29-08-2005, 11:13 PM
hey guys, i have the same problem aswell and im pretty sure its my engine mounts, ive snapped my exhaust twice where the extractors meet the system. how much will it be for new engine mounts roughly?
as for the diesel flighwheel, is this lighter than the petrol one? how much difference will it make to the and what changes will need to be made to accomodate this?

Golfwise
30-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Sam mk 1 Golf engine mount are by now pretty stuffed but if you are running extractors you will need a flex pipe where they join the rest of the system.Check that the front mount isn't slogged out and the rear one often breaks at the bracket,the right hand side one collapses and sends engine vibrations through the car although it won't cause the engine to fall out as a bolt runs through it.
The flex on the xsorst very important. 8)
The cost of engine mount is quite reasonable if you do the labour cotent.
Don't change your flywheel if its not nessesary.