PDA

View Full Version : 118TSI DSG purchase and options advice

ziggyboy
11-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Hi all! New to the forum...

I'm looking at getting my new VW, hopefully a 118TSI DSG Silver leaf colour. I'm not really a big car enthusiast to be really technical and fussy about things like power or premium options so for my purposes the 118TSI is more than sufficient.

There are 3 things I would like upgraded from this model though: RCS510 stereo (non-sat nav one), alloy wheels, rear sensors.

Can someone give an estimate on how much each option is worth?

Is it worth it to get rear sensors from dealers or aftermarket ones are ok? And with alloy wheels, a dealer I spoke to over the phone was pushing for the sport package for $2000 that comes with alloys but thought if that's how much it costs I may be better off buying aftermarket alloys and I get to choose what I want!!

My take on the moment is to get the base model plus RCS510 and maybe try to get the rear sensors for free if they can. Is that the best thing to do if I'm on a budget for a Jetta auto?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

The_Hawk
11-12-2011, 10:38 AM
The 118TSI Comfortline is a step up from the base model for ~$3,500 and includes a few extras including like your alloy wheels (including locking nuts). Also these: (taken from the brochure)

Climate control (inc air quality sensor)
Coming/leaving home auto headlights
Rear armrest
Low tyre pressure indicator
Front and rear carpet mats
Luggage compartment removable storage divider and storage net
Automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror
Electrically foldable exterior mirrors with environment lighting
Audio volume level reduction when parking sensor warning is activated
Optical Parking System (OPS) in radio display
Parking distance sensors, front and rear with acoustic warning
Comfort front seats
Comfort cloth seat upholstery
Lumbar adjustment for front seats
Front seat backrest storage pockets
7 speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG)
Rain sensor
Various chrome trim bits

So from your post, you want parking sensors and alloys which probably make the Comfortline the better choice, just need to negotiate and hope it fits in your budget.

As for the radio, on eBay you can try and hunt up a RCD510 (colour screen version of the radio), these tend to go for ~$400 , maybe less. Plan B is to go all out on the RNS510 and get the navigation too. These can be had for ~$1,500 imported from the UK. Installation is pretty straight forward (at least is was in my Golf) pretty much 4 screws and it's plug and play. VCDS coding needed for the full integration, but I'm sure there is someone on here that can hook you up for that (even install if you need it).

ziggyboy
11-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Somehow I can't justify paying $3,500 more for those features. Aftermarket rear sensors appear to be about $300 colour coded to your bumper, plus alloy wheels may be had for much less than $3.5k and I get to pick what I want.

At this point I think I will stick to the base model plus mats.

In your experience is getting VW's at list price drive away good? Or can I push lower than list price?

frozze
11-12-2011, 08:16 PM
You're getting way more than just alloys and parking sensors. The OPS sensor is both visual and audio guidance (front AND rear). It looks even better with the RCD510. Think about the "small lil" convenience that comes with the comfortline. I reckon $3500 for all those things is quite a bargain actually! But that's just my opinion, of course! Have a proper read about those extra features on the comfortline, if you haven't already, before you write it off completely.

Oh and yeah you can probably get $2000-3000 off the RRP, usually.

Somehow I can't justify paying $3,500 more for those features. Aftermarket rear sensors appear to be about $300 colour coded to your bumper, plus alloy wheels may be had for much less than $3.5k and I get to pick what I want.

At this point I think I will stick to the base model plus mats.

In your experience is getting VW's at list price drive away good? Or can I push lower than list price?

ziggyboy
11-12-2011, 08:49 PM
You're getting way more than just alloys and parking sensors. The OPS sensor is both visual and audio guidance (front AND rear). It looks even better with the RCD510. Think about the "small lil" convenience that comes with the comfortline. I reckon $3500 for all those things is quite a bargain actually! But that's just my opinion, of course! Have a proper read about those extra features on the comfortline, if you haven't already, before you write it off completely.

Oh and yeah you can probably get $2000-3000 off the RRP, usually.

Hi froze. When you mean up to $3k off RRP do you mean off the recommended driveaway price? The 118TSI DSG is about $33k drive away... so $30k and below should be good yeah?

I'll look into the comfortline in more detail...

frozze
11-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Based on the driveaway price from the VGA's website, the 118TSI Comfortline is actually about $36k (in Melbourne).

Had a quick look around carsales.com.au, they seem to be hovering around $33k-$34k.

I guess it really depends on the dealer's stock and how desperate they are in selling them. Apparently, they've got monthly targets to meet. So go towards the end of the month?

FYI, I got about $3000 discount when I got my car.

Hi froze. When you mean up to $3k off RRP do you mean off the recommended driveaway price? The 118TSI DSG is about $33k drive away... so $30k and below should be good yeah?

I'll look into the comfortline in more detail...

Jake02
11-12-2011, 09:48 PM
+ 1 for the Comfortline. If I got a Jetta (however unlikely it is) I'd have to stick to a base model as there's no way I'm driving an auto, but I have to say, the Comfortline is such a well-equipped car! It's so much more than rear sensors and alloys, rather a much more sophisticated car. The base model here I liken to all the US models, a little cheap (the US model as we all know has been significantly cheapened but to their credit, sales are up massively) with the hubcaps, air-con controls and radio, whereas the Comfortline, IMO is what the rest of the world receives with its much nicer displays, auto lights/wipers, nicer radios and what not. The best part? Electric-folding mirrors!

Yes, work for the base model, but don't count the Comfortline out because I'm sure you can get one for less $$$ than you think. If not, you could look at a new Camry? :P

pologti18t
12-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Current promotion is 30K drive away for a manual.

ziggyboy
14-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Still deciding deciding deciding.

Btw one of the dealers in Sydney has advertised the 118TSI DSG (Auto) for $29,990 drive away... which probably means they can go lower!! The RRP for that model is $33-34k!

frozze
14-12-2011, 08:06 AM
I thought the $29,990 drive away deals were manual. If it's auto, definitely a great buy for the base model.

Still deciding deciding deciding.

Btw one of the dealers in Sydney has advertised the 118TSI DSG (Auto) for $29,990 drive away... which probably means they can go lower!! The RRP for that model is $33-34k!

ziggyboy
14-12-2011, 08:25 AM
One dealer's got a few autos for that price. May still push for lower. They're not demos too, definitely brand new.

VDUbNewb
22-01-2012, 03:19 PM
By means of comparison, I was quoted 33,450 Drive Away for the 118TSI Comfortline Jetta (incl. Metallic Paint); no other options/accessories.

The quote includes $1350 or so Dealer Delivery which I'll be looking to get reduced to some extent, if not entirely down to 0$

Failing that, I'll definitely push to get floor mats, mudflaps, iPod Cable and a full tank of fuel included (all of which probably doesn't cost more than 300$ ).

Lets see how that pans out.

In any case, what do the VDubbers think of 33450 drive away for the 118 TSI Comfortline?