PDA

View Full Version : TSI160 Caddy Van

Sawed Off
08-12-2011, 03:29 PM
A few weeks ago I mentioned elsewhere that a drunk driver crashed into my work Caddy and wrote it off. The insurance has finally paid out and the boss is looking to buy another. He's going for the new TSI160, even though I've expressed misgivings. I do a lot of highway and mountain range type driving and I just feel that 63kw/160nm is just going to be terrible. I'll likely end up flogging the hell out of it to get anywhere. What has everyone else's experience been with the TSI160?

flyingfridge
08-12-2011, 04:03 PM
The TSI160 is a ripper unit and is really good to drive. Puts the old 1.6 in the shade in every way.

If you do more than about 15,000km a year though, have you got him to consider the diesel? Just the running costs alone will start to catch up the difference in price at that kind of usage....

Sawed Off
08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
The TSI160 is a ripper unit and is really good to drive. Puts the old 1.6 in the shade in every way.

Yeah, I'm not so sure. The Car Advice review (http://www.caradvice.com.au/94498/volkswagen-caddy-review/) of the TDI250 says it's down on power, so I have misgivings about the TSI160 being a ripper for the kind of driving I do. I can see it being fine for a town car in traffic, but that's not what I'll be doing a lot of. Unfortunately I won't get a test drive beforehand.

If you do more than about 15,000km a year though, have you got him to consider the diesel? Just the running costs alone will start to catch up the difference in price at that kind of usage....

I've outright asked him for the diesel as I think the extra torque would make a world of difference on the mountain ranges but he doesn't want to spend the extra ~$4.5k. Not just the normal running costs of the diesel is a saving, but the fact that the TSI will likely be driven hard will come into play in a couple of years. Probably around the time the warranty runs out..

flyingfridge
08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
ah don't worry about it then, if he won't pony up for the diesel then the TSI160 is fine. It'll surprise you, ask any of the guys with the Polo that has the 1.2L. The TSI160 is also easily the most fun to drive of all the Caddys. Easily.

kaanage
08-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Unfortunately I won't get a test drive beforehand.
Any chance that you can get a test drive at a different dealer in your own time?

I gotta say that when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about a 160kW racing Caddy :rolleyes:

brasstinman
09-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Any chance that you can get a test drive at a different dealer in your own time?

I gotta say that when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about a 160kW racing Caddy :rolleyes:

I thought the same thing, 160kw then got disappointed. Hehehe

How would the 63kw stack up with a loaded Caddy? Can't imagine id be all that good in the mountains.

flyingfridge
09-12-2011, 03:53 PM
160Nm and a torque curve like a table is what's really important.

I was driving one at the launch around this time last year around the hilly sections around the southern beaches in Sydney. THis particular car had 400kg of load and a passenger as well and it pulled up the hills at 40-50km/h in 3rd at 1200rpm without so much as breaking a sweat. it's a remarkable little engine, it really is.

Sawed Off
14-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks, fridge. While I'm still somewhat cautious, my main aim was to stop my boss from making a big mistake if the feedback was poor. I guess time will tell.

---------- Post added 14-12-2011 at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was 10-12-2011 at 11:49 AM ----------

I guess time won't tell after all. My boss just came and told me he's buying the TDI250 instead. I'd still be interested in hearing some experiences from people that own the TSI160.