PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 8v in a Mk1 Passat

tassie_euro_mk1
30-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Hey guys.

Im getting a 2L 8v engine for the passat. It will be running my current twin weber setup with correct jet and choke sizes.

Is there any thing I should know about bolting it up to the original passat box?

Im aware that I need a plate to fit between the weber manifold and head as to block off the injector ports, thats no problem. Apparently the 2L engine is slightly taller. Shouldnt be an issue with the passat manifold and engine pipe layout, if so should be an easy fix. I will be getting a low pressure electric fuel pump too.

Is it recommended to upgrade the clutch setup to a 210mm item? Not sure the size of the passat clutch but GAP list the dasher one as a 200mm one.

What dizzy should I be using?

Anything else I should know of?

Any info or insight would be much appreciated :)

Cheers
Eric

Golfer_76
30-11-2011, 10:02 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f55/adz-conversion-17972.html

You may need to get some different engine mounts to lower the engine a little bit since the cam gear may hit on the carcass of the bonnet.

The link i posted is about my brothers conversion.

When he first did the conversion he bought a sports clutch but hes now having a bit of trouble with clutch slipping due to the increase in power and hes finding it hard to find a clutch that can handle the power to suit a passat, since the pressure plate and flywheel is different to that in the golfs.

tassie_euro_mk1
01-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks mate. Some helpful info in there. Once I get the engine and be able see it and compare it there and then it should all be a little clearer.

What about the distributor? Which one do I use? Did he ever finish the conversion?

Golfer_76
01-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Well my brother changed the auxiliary shaft to the one out of the original 1.6 so he could run a mechanical fuel pump since the 2.0 doesnt have the lobe to run the fuel pump.

Which also meant he had to put the distributor out of the 1.6 in with a stepped spacer ring because the hole in the block is bigger. But seeing as your running an electric fuel pump you don't really need to change the auxiliary shaft or the distributor over.

Yes the conversion has been finished for quite some time now. But like i said before the clutch is starting to slip now. which means he can't drive it hard and he can't really tune it either until he gets a new and heavier clutch

tassie_euro_mk1
01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
ahh cool, thanks. Makes sense :)

Will have to find out about that clutch situation. Maybe a clutch from a b2 passat will fit. Ill have to do a bit more research on that

roccodingo
01-12-2011, 10:48 PM
The dizzy that comes with the 2 litre most likely has no advance mechanism ( done electronically by the ECU ) so to run weber's you will need to swap to an older unit with mech, vacuum or a combination of those advance types.

In Anton's 2E swap ( that is going to the dyno Sat morning ) we used a Mk1 1.8 dizzy with the vac advance and retard set to EG GTI mk1 timing specs. Will be interesting to see the torque curve that it generates.

tassie_euro_mk1
02-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Cheers Grant. Thanks for info. Very helpful. May well be going down that route then. Does Anton have a build thread or anything like that here? Would be very interesting to hear about the dyno run

Peter Jones
02-12-2011, 06:02 PM
OK. I've been a bit busy to chime in so here goes.

You need to run a Passat sump and oil pickup tube.(Also means using a passat dipstick)
You'll also need to run the Passat oil filter bracket to clear the engine mount. You might have to get inventive with the heater hoses especially if you keep the oil cooler.

Watch the installation of the thermostat bypass hose so it doesn't rub on the oil filter bracket or the clutch cable.

Bottom radiator hose will be OK. Top hose , you're going to have to do some investigation, I suspect a strategically cut MK3 top hose might do the trick.

Rear water outlet from head from original passat head may have to be used, just swap over the 2.0 one.

Heater distribution pipe/hoses will probably be a hybrid of the 2 motors.

As to the dizzy. You need a spacer to run a 1600/1800 dizzy.

I made one but you can also buy them from Techtonics. Bushing to Adapt Early Distributor to 2.0L Block [103 140] - $30.00 : Techtonics Tuning, VW and Audi Performance Tuning and Repair Parts (http://techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_11_5_248&products_id=1370)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/10/P1310883-1.jpg

Take a look around page 22 or so of my wreck to race thread.
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f55/wreck-race-13857-22.html

You need to use the larger 2.0 distributor drive gear which can be easily swapped from the 2.0 dizzy onto the 1.6 dizzy using a roll pin to secure it.

Poke around the wreck to race thread regarding ignition curves and dyno stuff.

Exhaust wise you should be OK but the down pipe might get real close to the floor.The 2.0 is 1cm taller than the 1600 so the easiest way to fix this would be make a 1 cm thick spacer to sit between the down pipe and the exhaust manifold.

Clutch wise your options are about zero, you'll have to run the 1600 Passat flywheel/disc/plate but Jim Berry can make you whatever you want from a stock pressure plate and disc. Race Clutch (http://www.motorsportworld.com.au/outlets/raceclutch/)

It'll all bolt up to the 2.0, make sure you replace the rear main seal while it's all apart.

Front engine mounts can be gotten from GAP GermanAutoParts.com (http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Dasher/Engine/142/1)
Rear gearbox mount can be gotten from Gary at Wolfsberg Wolfsburg Automotive - Motor Accessories--Retail - Belmont, VIC - Yellow PagesŪ (http://www.yellowpages.com.au/vic/belmont/wolfsburg-automotive-13824755-listing.html)

That should get you headed in the right direction.

Pete

tassie_euro_mk1
02-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Pete, thats awesome! Thank you.
That info has definitely headed me into the right direction. Im really looking forward to tackling this project now. Should be good fun.

Cheers for the links. Jim Berry seems like a handy bloke to know. May be inquiring about the passat clutch down the track.

Coolant hoses will be something ill play around with. That doesnt worry me (yet) haha.

Should be a fun little car when the conversion is completed. Let it begin!

roccodingo
02-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Cheers Grant. Thanks for info. Very helpful. May well be going down that route then. Does Anton have a build thread or anything like that here? Would be very interesting to hear about the dyno run

He has taken a swag of pics, its his car so I'll let him do a thread..

Peter Jones
03-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Shouldn't be too difficult to do, it's all pretty simple stuff really, just a bit to consider.

Have a good read over my wreck to race thread, there's a couple of years of history in there on my twin Dellorto fuelled 2.0 8v into a MK1.

There's been plenty of development over the years and it's really well sorted out now.

There's other background stuff in there like breathers and block off plates, fuel pumps, senders etc that I've figured out along the way.

I'll watch with interest to see how it all works out.

tassie_euro_mk1
03-12-2011, 08:20 AM
yea Pete i have gone through your thread but havnt read a lot of it. Will be doing a bit of reading through it though :)

Saw your block breather block off plate. I like the idea of it running into a catch can. Electric fuel pump setup is sorted and I have a few new after market quages with senders that shouldnt be a problem. Coolant hoses is something ill have to play around with.

gldgti
08-12-2011, 05:21 PM
just thinking about clutches for you guys....

In the states the audi 4000 was reasonably prolific and certain examples had more powerful engines than our early passats.... now to buy a clutch from GAP is easy, and the 210mm one is the one i'd be looking at which is from the later 4000 petrol models. The only thing you'd need to find is the flywheel.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

also, check out hansdieselparts (google it) for weird hoses and stuff, sometimes you can find what you want and shipping is very reasonable.....

tassie_euro_mk1
11-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah Aydan ive been thinking about the 4000 or a b2 passat for clutch options. Would be great to have one and compare.

Hansdieselparts is a decent site! cheers

On another note, how are you guys who are running aftermarket fuel pumps wiring them up? Powering them from the negative terminal on the coil? Not keen on having the pump still run in the event of an accident etc