PDA

View Full Version : Cars Guide - Fabia v Yaris

K1W1
28-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Published last week. Link here (http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-reviews-road-tests/toyota_yaris_vs_skoda_fabia).

"VERDICT

Ignore the Fabia's look and it is the car to have, but if image is helping to drive the decision the Yaris will win. The $1600 price edge won't hurt it either in a segment where customers consider dollar value as one of the major purchase decisions."

team_v
28-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I would be all over the Skoda!
I like the look (sort of like a boxy mini cooper)

Jake02
28-11-2011, 04:41 PM
I would be all over the Skoda!
I like the look (sort of like a boxy mini cooper)

Agreed. It looks infinitely better than the new Yaris...

anthony
30-11-2011, 07:03 AM
I saw a new Yaris yestorday,and thought that its a good looking car immediatly.

Have seen a Fabia,and was not at all impressed with the look of it,thought OMG,who would buy one of those...LOL.

Jake02
30-11-2011, 08:46 AM
I saw a new Yaris yesterday and immediately thought that it's a good looking car.

Each to their own but what is wrong with you? The Aus-spec Yaris' are nothing like their overseas counterparts. Tiny wheels, stupid wheelarches and that ZR model that has no sporty intentions at all. It's like a old Yaris with square headlights. The only nice part? The steering wheel (leather wrapped on upper-end versions). I'm not defending the Fabia as we all know it could look better but the new Yaris as good-looking...

Anthony, we all know you're a Skoda h8r but do you have to comment on every post, on every site reviewing them, telling people who look at the site not to buy one? "I bought a Jetta over an Octavia" - they're the same car, who gives a rats?

Stick to OzHonda ßRo :D

pologti18t
30-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Each to their own but what is wrong with you? The Aus-spec Yaris' are nothing like their overseas counterparts. Tiny wheels, stupid wheelarches and that ZR model that has no sporty intentions at all. It's like a old Yaris with square headlights. The only nice part? The steering wheel (leather wrapped on upper-end versions).

The Aus-spec is pretty much the same as everywhere else as far as I can tell. Europe gets smaller engines and CVT. America only gets the 5 door and the bigger 1.5L and the same transmissions as us.
It's a bland middle of the road supermini classed car.

RSwag
30-11-2011, 06:10 PM

Have seen a Fabia,and was not at all impressed with the look of it,thought OMG,who would buy one of those...LOL.

How old are Anthony, 13? OMG................given your superficial assessment of the Fabia vs Yaris maybe it's not your age or the fact you're a wooly that caused you to make such a strange comment in a SKODA ENTHUSIAST forum. Either way it is not necessary and blatantly inflammatory.

You appear to be a troll so i wasn't going to bother but you were so blatant i changed my mind. Negativity is not a problem in here, most member are realistic and accept the brands shortfalls. The difference however is that collectively we ALL want to see the brand succeed, something i am certain you don't understand and something that will inevitably occur with or without your pitiful comments.

I myself have been very negative of the brands marketing and management but i know they will succeed no matter what.

So what i am saying is, your a tosser and if you have nothing constructive to post don't bother posting anything.:mad:

K1W1
01-12-2011, 06:26 AM
I have to admit that my thoughts on the styling of the two cars are way closer to Anthonys than they are to Jakes. Maybe Anthony didn't use the right words or something but he has expressed his thoughts and he has a right to do that I guess on the proviso that they are genuine and not simply to stir up a response.

anthony
01-12-2011, 06:29 AM
You Skoda lovers are the most insecure people in the world...nuff said.

Transporter
01-12-2011, 07:01 AM

Why would they be?

:?

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

To everyone else involved in this thread, please don't lower your standards. :rolleyes:

brad
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Doesn't really make sense.

Generally, insecure people aren't early adopters. Insecure people are more likely to choose a known quantity or try & fit in with the crowd. I don't think Aussie Skoda purchasers exhibit those tendencies.

I also don't think a Toyota Yaris purchaser would cross-shop Fabia but maybe I'm wrong.

RSwag
01-12-2011, 06:47 PM
I have a fair amount of respect for KIWI and will curb my "real" thoughts of what you are about anthony but the fact remains you are here to stir up something.

If "Skoda lovers" are not to your taste then don't come into this forum, that would be a win, win for all concerned.

anthony
02-12-2011, 07:12 AM
I have a fair amount of respect for KIWI and will curb my "real" thoughts of what you are about anthony but the fact remains you are here to stir up something.

If "Skoda lovers" are not to your taste then don't come into this forum, that would be a win, win for all concerned.

The fact is that I am a huge VW fan...have personally bought 4 new VWs,and reccomended many others to freinds and family,,as well as contribute to this forum by supplying worldwide sales figures,so I am going nowhere...

I am also active on Honda forums,as currently own a new Accord Euro,and do not hate Skodas,would just far rather have a VW,Honda,Toyota,or Mazda,and honestly find the Superb and Fabia UGLYYYYYYYYYY,Octavia and Yeti less so.

Each one to their own............

BlackOctaviaRS
02-12-2011, 02:15 PM
The fact is that I am a huge VW fan...have personally bought 4 new VWs,and reccomended many others to freinds and family,,as well as contribute to this forum by supplying worldwide sales figures,so I am going nowhere...

I am also active on Honda forums,as currently own a new Accord Euro,and do not hate Skodas,would just far rather have a VW,Honda,Toyota,or Mazda,and honestly find the Superb and Fabia UGLYYYYYYYYYY,Octavia and Yeti less so.

Each one to their own............

VW, Honda, Toyota - most boring looking cars on the planet :P

In today's Carsguide RE: 2014 Tiguan spy shots: "In another com-gen, Carparazzi sees the second generation VW-compact SUV for 2014 that is, Toyota-ish and as tedious as the Jetta and Passat. Wolfsburg eveidently believes the way to beat its great rival is to out-bland it"

brad
02-12-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't think any Skoda owner should get into an argument about the beauty of their cars. Would be on a hiding to nothing.

not bland but i often think the ugly stick was waved a bit close in some areas.

Transporter
02-12-2011, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't say that the Skoda cars are ugly, they have the unique look.

K1W1
02-12-2011, 06:02 PM

I would change that to, "I wouldn't say that most Skoda cars are ugly, they have the unique look." :)

RSwag
02-12-2011, 06:20 PM
I just don't see the logic in liking something but then criticizing the way it looks. It's like talking about your misses and going, "yeah i love her but man she's a tad on the monger side" When you have an affinity with something you tend to look past (granted ignore) some of the negative points.

This is why i find certain peoples comments more inflammatory than anything remotely constructive, however this is my opinion and maybe not reality?!

As for them being ugly, it's all subjective i know but i think they have a look that has longevity to it. There are many many vehicles, Mazda 3 for example, that look awesome in 2007 but today not so much.

I love them as they have concentrated on the interior and not the exterior, no one drives a car from the outside and no one can deny they are leagues ahead when you have you bum behind the wheel in design, ergonomics and quality. I sat in a mazda 2 when they first came out, they looked really cool. Got behind the wheel and like with most mazdas it was like sitting inside an after thought, ergonomics of WW!! tank, very bland.

brad
03-12-2011, 03:52 PM
I've known a few women with a unique look........ by the time I sobered up.

I just don't see the logic in liking something but then criticizing the way it looks. It's like talking about your misses and going, "yeah i love her but man she's a tad on the monger side" When you have an affinity with something you tend to look past (granted ignore) some of the negative points.
Why not? No point going about with rose coloured glasses on all the time as you just look like a one-eyed masterbator. My Skoda goes well, gets excellant fuel economy, is mega-comfortable on long trips & crappy Aussie roads but it looks like it was styled 15 years ago. I can live with that & happily admit it.

As for my missus...... Well, I love her but she certainly looks like she was built in the '60s :-) :facepalm:

K1W1
03-12-2011, 04:57 PM
My Skoda goes well, gets excellant fuel economy, is mega-comfortable on long trips & crappy Aussie roads but it looks like it was styled 15 years ago. I can live with that & happily admit it.

+1
What he said about the car but I have never met his wife so he is on his own there.

sh|tbmxrider
05-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Octi RS & Scout are good looking cars.

Yeti is a good looking car.

Superb (wagon is better than sedan) and Fabia are a touch 'speshal'

FWIW IMO, YMMV, etc

As for the Fabia vs. Yaris, I see more fathers buying there daughters first car sticking with the big 'T', if only cos she thinks the Skoda is ugly and he knows nothing of them.

Jake02
05-12-2011, 06:24 PM
As for the Fabia vs. Yaris, I see more fathers buying there daughters first car sticking with the big 'T', if only cos she thinks the Skoda is ugly and he knows nothing of them.

I'm not even sure it's because they think it's ugly or because they don't know about them, the Yaris buyer wants a Toyota and looks only at a Toyota. Nothing else is better in their mind!

sh|tbmxrider
06-12-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm not even sure it's because they think it's ugly or because they don't know about them, the Yaris buyer wants a Toyota and looks only at a Toyota. Nothing else is better in their mind!

Sounds like a VW owner

*boom-tish*
Welcome to Instant Rimshot (http://instantrimshot.com/)

GTREA
06-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Unfortunately it's this one eyed fan boi attitude that ruins these one make forums.

I drive a Golf GTi and vRS wagon, I like them....a lot....but I can see faults in both and certainly don't like everything else both manufacturers produce just because I have one of there products.

Jake02
06-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Sounds like a VW owner

*boom-tish*
Welcome to Instant Rimshot (http://instantrimshot.com/)

Er... It was a joke, and lucky I'm not a VW owner in that case!

K1W1
06-12-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm not even sure it's because they think it's ugly or because they don't know about them,

My daughter knows about Skodas and is more than happy to drive mine, In fact she did about 80 hours of her L plates in it but she thinks the Fabia is the most god awful ulgy car ever to grace the the road and her opinion has been in no way influenced by me she has said that after seeing one recently.
The Fabia will not appeal to Australian young women I have said it before and I'm sure that with time I will be proved correct. Of course if Jake is actually female she may be the exception that proves the rule. :)

sh|tbmxrider
07-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Er... It was a joke, and lucky I'm not a VW owner in that case!

I was taking the piss (only slightly, however, go look at the Mk6, stuff it, the rest of these forums for proof) in general, not of yourself, mate :)

BrashDaniels
22-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Doesn't really make sense.

Generally, insecure people aren't early adopters. Insecure people are more likely to choose a known quantity or try & fit in with the crowd. I don't think Aussie Skoda purchasers exhibit those tendencies.

I also don't think a Toyota Yaris purchaser would cross-shop Fabia but maybe I'm wrong.
Definitely agree with you there Brad.

I've owned 2 Yarii (??? ;) ) :p

The original 99-00 Echo and a 2006 YRS Sedan - I always thought the looks were quirky but the design tech and throwability won me over.

I own the Fabia RS - I keep reading that reviewers find it ugly.
I think the new Yaris has ugly down pat, along with the Tiida, the Micra, and many other small cars.

the Fabia - it's different for sure, but ugly? No way. Edgy perhaps,
If in doubt, throw a heap of decals on it - Oh that's right, I done that already :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

cbay
23-03-2013, 08:17 AM

im gonna agree with you, i kinda like the yaris too. with some nice Enkei's or Work's on a white one, it would look fantastic.

i don't mind the fabia though, particularly the monte carlo's.

is the comment kinda trolling? yeah, but who cares. if someone gave me either i wouldn't mind but would be happier with a fabia's turbo sprightlyness

gldgti
23-03-2013, 01:35 PM
No point arguing about whether cars look good or not - its way too subjective.

Before I bought my octavia, I didnt think much of the looks. Infact, I thought it was pretty ugly - I bought it because it was a good value vehicle that ticked all the boxes for me - diesel, manual, wagon, big cargo area, great handling.

After living with it for a while, I've come to appreciate its looks more. Nowdays I feel like there arent many (ordinary) cars on the road that look as good. (we arent counting supercars and stuff here). Ofcourse, this is just my opinion, I'd be surprised if someone else felt that way too.

IMO, I've often thought that new Toyota's are styled just for the kind of people that buy them (somewhat unsurprising huh?). These are people who generally dont care about their car.... Just look at the evidence - the wheels are always curbed, they get washed in automatic carwashes and they live outside on the street, not in the garage.

cbay
23-03-2013, 02:49 PM
IMO, I've often thought that new Toyota's are styled just for the kind of people that buy them (somewhat unsurprising huh?). These are people who generally dont care about their car.... Just look at the evidence - the wheels are always curbed, they get washed in automatic carwashes and they live outside on the street, not in the garage.

what's worse are the people who do the same to audis, bmws, mercs. i cry a little inside every time i see a lovely A5 with brake-dust coloured wheels.. and looks like it's never ever been washed. or it's been washed with a steel-wool scourer.

i'd be surprised if many people actually really take care of their car :confused:

but i do agree with the suggestion that most people who buy 'those' cars don't care, don't know, and dont care to know about their car.