PDA

View Full Version : Yeti wins Drive Best SUV under $40k

bobski
24-11-2011, 09:06 AM
I take everything from drive with a grain of salt, but still nice to get some runs on the board for the brand. :banana:

2011 DCOTY Best SUV under $40,000 winner Skoda Yeti (http://news.drive.com.au/drive/car-of-the-year/drive-car-of-the-year-2011-best-suv-under-40000-winner-20111122-1ns6h.html)

onyertod
24-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Skoda Australia must be a happy place right now. Well deserved.

Transporter
24-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Hmm, but the Tiguan was only 2WD and manual. :?
I don't want to speculate too much, but if the Tiguan in that competition was diesel with DSG, who knows ?
Anyhow, it's good to see that the Yeti took the first place. :P

bobski
24-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Sometimes they can't get the cars they want to test?

K1W1
24-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Sometimes they can't get the cars they want to test?

In which case they should not include them if they don't meet the test criteria.

Jake02
24-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Hmm, but the Tiguan was only 2WD and manual. :?

Only new drivetrain to the range, thus the only one they tested.

RSwag
25-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Only new drivetrain to the range, thus the only one they tested.

C'mon Jake, that's a tad naive don't you think?

VW Australia own and run Skoda Australia, they choose what vehicles are put up for testing and in what configuration. Drive merely review that vehicle as per it's category, the facelift of the Tiguan interior/exterior was enough for them to offer up any of the engines/transmissions for review.

Wheels within wheels Jake, VW offered up cars from both brands to get the desired results with plenty of "hint hint wink wink" from drive.

It shiws a positive however, VW Oz have been ordered to put a rocket under Skoda in Oz and they are hell bent on making the Yeti the holy grail. My opinion they would have found much more traction by putting the same energy in the Octavia range 16 months ago, then with the Superb and allowing the Yeti to compliment the range.

But apparently I know nothing?!

Jake02
25-11-2011, 08:59 PM
C'mon Jake, that's a tad naive don't you think?

Car of the Year awards test only new models that are released in that year. Yes the Tiguan had a facelift but it's purely cosmetic and it doesn't change the car in any way (meaning the original's positives and negatives remain). The only non-cosmetic thing is the new base drivetrain, hence them testing it. If you look at the category for the Superb (family car or similar) there are millions of comments complaining that the Commodore wasn't included and yet, it's no different to the VE Series II facelift introduced last year and there is the justification for not being included. Still naive?

And RSwag, answer me this, how could the Yeti not win a comp against the Kia Sportage, the Tiguan and the Nissan X-Trail? It is a far superior car to all of those and I don't care what anyone says about value because I think it's great value for such an excellent vehicle. But I hope your prediction RE: the 'holy grail Yeti' is correct - itt is the car Skoda has needed for a while!

K1W1
25-11-2011, 09:15 PM
It shiws a positive however, VW Oz have been ordered to put a rocket under Skoda in Oz

Do you have a reliable source for that info or is it just supposition?

Car of the Year awards test only new models that are released in that year.

If you read the article you will see that that statement is not quite correct in the case of the Drive awards at least. They say in the article that the previous years winner in each category is invited back the following year. In the case of the SUV category it was the Kia that won last year and the Yeti only beat it by one vote in 2011.

bobski
25-11-2011, 09:37 PM
As I said, a grain of salt. Magazines like wheels/motor generally give far more information about how they judged the cars in anticipation of backlash, rather than a subjective opinion like Drive. Usually the mags also explain why cars weren't included, eg, they didn't win last year, couldn't be supplied, catch fire when turning left etc.

It's all good advertising and another example of Skoda going from strength to strength. :) If only they had enough stock!

Jake02
25-11-2011, 09:50 PM
If you read the article you will see that that statement is not quite correct in the case of the Drive awards at least. They say in the article that the previous years winner in each category is invited back the following year. In the case of the SUV category it was the Kia that won last year and the Yeti only beat it by one vote in 2011.

I knew someone would pick me up on that and of course it had to be my best friend KIWI. Thank you, Drive is just a little bit special :).

K1W1
25-11-2011, 10:16 PM
The point that interested me most in the whole story was that Ford won 3 categories. Ford for goodness sake. I bet they are celebrating far harder at Broadmeadows than they are at Skoda Australia HQ.

Jake02
26-11-2011, 08:34 AM
The point that interested me most in the whole story was that Ford won 3 categories. Ford for goodness sake. I bet they are celebrating far harder at Broadmeadows than they are at Skoda Australia HQ.

I'm actually really happy for Ford Aus. They've had a very tough couple of years (as we all know) and it was a tough shock for them that the large car is over but they've learned well. They're no longer the Falcon Car Company as such, they have a wide range of good cars and more are on their way (the new Escape/Kuga in particular). What a total contrast Holden is to Ford at the moment and yet the sales still go to Holden. Shame really (and this coming from a person who really doesn't like Australian cars).

RSwag
26-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Do you have a reliable source for that info or is it just supposition?.

Hi Kiwi,

Just superstition brother, i read an article while overseas a few months ago and it talked at at length about the internal struggles at W with Skoda in Europe. Skoda had been more of a success than they had anticipated and it was raising a dilemma. Do they pull the reigns on Skoda and make it cheaper by removing quality and tech or allow it to continue on its current path and have it compete heavily with VW.

The article in a nutshell, they remain strong competition and in fact grow, it talked at alength about the massive growth strategy over the next 5 years.

I am sure they realize the potential in this market and have put the team here under scrutiny for such pitiful results to date. I think they (current management and marketing) have put their faith in the Yeti being a MASSIVE success and it is evident by the constant advertising on television. They have never advertized any other product so heavily, in fact the exact opposite.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Still naive?

No, I was wrong about category entrants. I was thinking more along the lines of VW trying to put Skoda put in the spot light and position an alternative Tiguan to that affect.

[/QUOTE]And RSwag, answer me this, how could the Yeti not win a comp against the Kia Sportage, the Tiguan and the Nissan X-Trail? It is a far superior car to all of those and I don't care what anyone says about value because I think it's great value for such an excellent vehicle. But I hope your prediction RE: the 'holy grail Yeti' is correct - itt is the car Skoda has needed for a while![/QUOTE]

Yes, i realize the Yeti was clearly a better vehicle than the other Jap/Korean alternatives. The Sportage is very good though and there would have been no shame in being runner up to that particular vehicle.

I still can't see it being the "Holy Grail", i have advocated a stronger emphasis on Octavia for a very long time. It is a model that could have seen A LOT more success than they have. I also think it is a model that would attract long term, loyal cliental, the Yeti audience is more inclined statistically to not be loyal, and flip brands (and jobs mind you) on a regular basis. Just my thoughts though, if they accounted for anything other than opinion then i wouldn't be a keyboard wanna be, right?! :-)

K1W1
26-11-2011, 10:16 AM
I absolutely agree with you that Skoda Australia have overall done a fairly woeful job and need a large rocket where it hurts.

I tend to disagree on the assertion that the Yeti is more heavily advertised than other Skodas. The sand castle Octavia ad ran on all channels non stop in 2007 in prime time and the ad with the kid growing up in the back of the Octavia diesel wagon before it needed refuelling was played heavily as well.

The problem is that their ads just aren't there they don't give a message and they don't show the product and they are overall bland and easily forgettable. Compare the Yeti ad to the current Tuguan ad (the couple sneaking back to the camp site). The Yeti ad appears to be advertising the pleasure of taking your family for a drive in the woods the Tiguan ad is advertising a car no question. Skoda Australia need to get a message, get on message and start repeating that message at every opportunity.