PDA

View Full Version : towbar fitting

veedubb
18-11-2011, 01:27 PM
hey guys anyone had any exp with fitting a rear tow bar to a Jetta, was talking to a guy the other day & says dealers charge couple thousand, which i havent looked into yet, seemed a bit rich for me, thought i would post on here for opinions from others before i let my fingers do the walking- thanx Guys:cool:

ch0p
18-11-2011, 01:34 PM
yep got the VW one fitted. You will need a new VW wiring cable for it to work on the new jetta, espically if you have reverse sensors.

LeaMedhurst
18-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Hey there, I want to get one on mine as well, care to share how much it costs.
All I want to carry is a bike rack so not looking at spending thousands

brad
18-11-2011, 03:11 PM
The towbar itself is no more expensive than other cars. Have a trawl through the yellow pages & try the usual suspects such as FastFit, Haymen-Reece, Bestbars, etc.

The expensive part is the CanBus compatible wiring. If you just have a bikerack, you don't need wiring.

If you do need wiring, there are plenty of harness suppliers in the UK that sell kits far cheaper than what VW charge.

Or you can try DIY - Julian Edgar did (http://autospeed.com.au/cms/A_111415/article.html)

edit:
$750 bar including wiring fitted (http://www.shop1auto.com.au/New%20towbar%20pages/Towbars_VW_Jetta.html)

LeaMedhurst
20-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi There

Thanks for the info,I followed the links but all I can find is Mk5 Jetta ones. I am a bit confused.... will the Mk5 Jetta tow bars fit the new Jetta ?
I used to own the Mk5 and I am sure the rear floor and mounts are all different.
Happy if I am wrong thou :)

brad
21-11-2011, 08:44 AM
This is a crazy idea but it might work.

Pick up the phone, ring the people that fit these things all week & talk to a real human being. I'm sure they are very pleasant, knowledgable & don't bite.:facepalm:

Umai Naa!!
22-11-2011, 06:05 PM
You wont be charged anywhere near as much if you have the towbar fitted after you've purchased the car.

Sure, the fitter will be annoyed because the car is a little bit grubby undernieth, but you'll get it done alot cheaper.

I've not fitted one to a new Jetta yet, but the MK5 Jettas were as much of a cow to fit as a MK5/6 Golf one. I'm not sure if the new Jetta is mostly pre-wired, either.

rory
02-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Had a Hayman Reece "Jetta tailored" one fitted to my 2009 TDI 77kw Jetta for around the price of just the VW wiring loom I think.
The reverse sensor only gets upset when a trailer is connected; but stops once the car gets rolling. Fits neatly in a square hole cut in the plastic bumper with a quick release towball tongue. Don't know if this one would fit the new Jetta.