PDA

View Full Version : Tracking JETTA

Rawcpoppa
16-11-2011, 01:50 PM
I've seen threads on American forums about tracking the JETTA one has ordered from Mexico to their dealer in the us similar to threads here about tracking their golf from Germany to Australia.

Has anyone tracked their JETTA and the route it takes from Mexico? Does it come straight from Mexico to Australia? Does it go to Europe for quality inspection before being shipped to Australia? (my dealer in the Caribbean says jettas aren't delivered to my country straight from Mexico but first go to Germany for "build inspection" hence my question.)

I found this to be fishy as us based jettas go straight to the us and never reach anywhere near Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anthony
16-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Jettas are shipped from Mexico to Australia.

It is nonsense that they go to Germany for quality control,they are checked at the factory ,and shipped worldwide from Pueblo,Mexico...

Rawcpoppa
17-11-2011, 02:36 AM
Thanks. It did beggar belief based on the info I've seen in other threads and tracking. My dealer is the pits. Te sales rep says one thing. The sales manager says another. They both lie about one thing or another. My car arrives in December according to the rep. Manager who places orders says end of January for delivery due to car having to go to Germany for inspection.

The bad thing is there is no VW entity separate from the dealer to contact here to get truthful info.

Riker
17-11-2011, 01:12 PM
I hear you mate....

Placed order end Aug 2011 & was advised from mid Sept 2011 that the car was in production. Leading up to mid Oct 2011 I was being constantly advised the Passat was in production in Germany, was due late december 2011 & therfor I could not make any changes to the order. I also asked how I could track the order from Germany. To this I find out Nov 1, 2011 that the car was actually not yet started production & infact the dealer had not even placed the order. Yep, they have been sitting on the order for months & didn't place it till Oct 31, 2011.....:mad:

Lie after lie after lie, & then they say that they can offer me a different Passat with no options that I wanted nor the colour I wanted.......:facepalm:

Order was cancelled, VW Australia notified as was the Dep of Fair Trading.

Anyway, what it comes down to was that it was me asking for Tracking info finally revealed the lie. Be sure to ask for tracking info early on & keep pushing them....

Thanks. It did beggar belief based on the info I've seen in other threads and tracking. My dealer is the pits. Te sales rep says one thing. The sales manager says another. They both lie about one thing or another. My car arrives in December according to the rep. Manager who places orders says end of January for delivery due to car having to go to Germany for inspection.

The bad thing is there is no VW entity separate from the dealer to contact here to get truthful info.

frozze
17-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Wow, so what happened after it was notified to the dep of fair trading?

I'm assuming you went to another dealer after that?

Order was cancelled, VW Australia notified as was the Dep of Fair Trading.

Anyway, what it comes down to was that it was me asking for Tracking info finally revealed the lie. Be sure to ask for tracking info early on & keep pushing them....

Rawcpoppa
17-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Sigh. There is only one VW dealer in my country. If there was another I'm sure the standards would be higher. I would love to be able to cancel my order if it would ensure better service in future here but that isn't an option if I want a VW...

Riker
17-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Nothing yet from Fair Trading & I don't expect a reply of any real purpose anytime soon. VW Australia gave me a reference # & advised they would contact the dealer then get back to me within 2 days... They must be sitting on it too as they haven't been back to me either............................. No point in me pondering over 'what next', just wait & see what happens if anything.

Yep, cancelled the order & the dealer (Campbelltown), the deposit was returned to my account just yesterday. I engaged a broker to get another deal for me with a different dealer. The new dealer that is happily closer to me came to the party & gave me a slightly better deal so lets hope the broker can keep everything on course. Just incase I get a sniff of any BS from the new dealer, I also have the broker looking at a Volvo V60-T6.....

I can tell you it has left me with a very frustrated impression of some elements of VW. No wonder the latest news coming from VW Australia over the last week is they intend investing heavily on bettering the Customer Service coming from the dealer network.

Remember all, be sure to keep the pressure on the dealer from the day after you place an order, to tracking it's ride to Australia, right up to delivery.

Wow, so what happened after it was notified to the dep of fair trading?

I'm assuming you went to another dealer after that?

Rawcpoppa
17-11-2011, 03:07 PM
To my knowledge there isn't a VW for Trinidad & Tobago so I really don't know who to complain to. VW Germany? Been contemplating writing to VW AG for what it's worth.

Riker
17-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Is your dealership affiliated in any way to VW North America or South America...? If so go through them otherwise if your complaint is legitimate VW Germany may be your best option.

Tracking a car would be interesting for you in T&T. Would the car arrive in the US then get on a smaller ship to T&T for delivery to you...?

To my knowledge there isn't a VW for Trinidad & Tobago so I really don't know who to complain to. VW Germany? Been contemplating writing to VW AG for what it's worth.

Rawcpoppa
17-11-2011, 04:27 PM
I highly doubt the dealer is affiliated with VW NA as the JETTA we get is similar to the ones you get in Australia i.e. euro spec with multi link rear suspension, tsi engines, soft touch dashes, dsg tranny etc.

I hope they aren't with VW S America as I know zero Spanish. Every time I speak with the dealer they imply that they deal with VW Germany.

Logistically I don't see why the car would go to the US before coming to T&T as the two are in separate directions. If it was up to me I'd send cars my way on a ship headed to south Africa or south America and drop them off on the way to their final destination.

You're right in that it would be very interesting to see how it's done in the Caribbean as information for this region is limited.

Maybe I should join a VW south Africa forum as well!

Mozzason
17-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Ive been tracking my Jetta since the 23rd Oct. It has arrived and the dealer confirmed it by contacting me. Booked to pick up on Thursday 24th Nov.

The cars do come from mexico.
Forget about getting a VIN number as this only works with cars coming from Germany.
Also if the car is not yet built nor placed on a ship I don't know what is done at that point.

Once you know your car is in transit. then

What you need to do is the following:
Find out which ship its on. My ship was the Dalian Highway. I started tracking her when she was in japan.

Tracking is done at this site

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?centerx=30&centery=25&zoom=2&level1=140)

Your dealer needs to give you the order info from their system that shows the Vessel Name, Vessel Code, passage #.

Tracking is easy BUT sometimes the ship is not in range of land so a search will come up with "Not in Range". Don't panic as you can still determine from the site what the next port is and when its due to arrive.
If you know its next port, then go to the ports web site and it should tell you when that vessel is expected to arrive etc.

I learnt all this through trial and error.
The dealer did not know this as they gave me the info as if it was coming from Germany. If you follow the germany instructions the ship does not exist. Thats what I found.

Anyway hope the above info is of some help. Let me know.
Cheers. and most of all PATIENCE....... well a little at the very least.

Rawcpoppa
17-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the info Mozzason. Your post helps explain possibly why my dealer always mentions VW Germany when the car itself is built in Mexico.

Any idea why VIN can't be obtained if the vehicle is shipping from countries outside of Germany? Also what did you mean by "German instructions"?

You're right about the patience part. Mine's running low ~_~

Mozzason
17-11-2011, 11:13 PM
You can get the VIN from the dealer however I have not been able to work out how to track the car with a VIN number coming from mexico. I know you can track the VIN from cars originating from Germany. I think its to do with the vessel carrier company.

The vessel that transported my car was the Dalian Highway. This vessel belongs to the K-Line shipping company.
From what I know, the VW's from germany are sent on a different company and I think you can track the car with the VIN. There is a thread on this site explaining this. Cannot remember where I saw it. The dealer gave me details of tracking a car from germany. They the dealers, don't understand this. Thats what I meant by the Germany instructions(cars from germany). Its what the dealers give you.
When I explained this to them they basically said they did not know this and were told by VW on how to do this. cannot really blame them I guess.

So tell me what did you get?

I ordered a Reflex Silver Jetta 147TSI with Sports Pack, SAT NAV, Park Assist, Leather and Queensland rims.
Originally I was going to order the Tiguan 155TSI but did not want to wait until June/July of 2012.
I cannot believe these days you have to wait so many frigan months for a car. Bloody hell. So I opted for a plan B.

I have to say though that the dealership I purchased the car from was SUPER helpful and really went out of their way to help find me a car. They also rang me and or emailed me almost every week with an update since I ordered the car on the 23rd October.
I was lucky to get a car already in transit. The only compromise was no sunroof and I wanted the grey but I like silver as well. Sunroof would have been a nice to have.
Cheers and rgds, Maurice

The dealership is Chatswood Classic Cars in Sydney. Nice bunch of people and helpful.

Rawcpoppa
24-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Here is a quote of most of what I'll be getting in mine:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/11/bed53cec88341eb1-1.jpg

I'm not sure how it equates to comfortline or highline in Australia as we don't use those terms here.

frozze
24-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Keyless entry!

phantomcamel
24-11-2011, 11:33 AM
From what I know, the VW's from germany are sent on a different company and I think you can track the car with the VIN. . Most cars are handled by "Wallenius Wilhelmsen" - they have a "Track & Trace" facility which is available to the public here Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics - worldwide ocean transport, inland services, supply chain solutions, terminal services (http://www.2wglobal.com/www/WEP/index.jsp)

Rawcpoppa
24-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Keyless entry!

Why the surprise? Sarcasm?

frozze
24-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Oh no no.. I love to have it. There's no such option in the Jetta here in Australia.

Why the surprise? Sarcasm?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

Rawcpoppa
24-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Oh no no.. I love to have it. There's no such option in the Jetta here in Australia.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

Not even on the top of the line 147 tsi JETTA?

This is the first car I've purchased so the first time dealing with the dealer was strange to me as the dealer would say that I couldn't get this or that with the car. I initially thought the dealer was simply being inflexible. Little did I realize at the time that VW decides what options are available for each country.

I wonder how VW decides to only send 17 inch Queensland wheels and 16 inch Navarra wheels to Trinidad. I would have liked the option for Denvers, Minneapolis or Portos!

phantomcamel
24-11-2011, 01:38 PM
I wonder how VW decides to only send 17 inch Queensland wheels and 16 inch Navarra wheels to Trinidad. I would have liked the option for Denvers, Minneapolis or Portos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I guess it is because of our small population here in Australia & the distance to the manufracturing location (not that Trinidad is any bigger...). Not everyone is prepared to wait for a factory order and it wouldn't make sense to stock every option as we would end up with too much stock sitting around. Given that dealerships finance the cars, you have a huge investment sitting around if you are one of the bigger metropolitan dealer.
One thing I never understood, why can you get an "Off-Road" version of the Tiguan in England, but not in OZ
:facepalm:

GolfR
25-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Park assist? I was informed park assist was not an available option therefore did not add this to my order.

Rawcpoppa
26-11-2011, 12:37 PM
^^^^^ I'm from Trinidad by the way so the quote doesn't represent all the options that available in Australia...

Rawcpoppa
28-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Looking at the quote again we also don't get park assist but simply get sensors which display an outline of the car and show how close an object is to it.

At no point does the car drive itself into a park.

frozze
28-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah, that's the OPS - Optical Parking System. The park-itself version is called Park Assist 2.

IIRC, Park Assist simply means reverse and front sensors.

Again, no Park Assist 2 option available in Australia for the new Jettas.

Looking at the quote again we also don't get park assist but simply get sensors which display an outline of the car and show how close an object is to it.

At no point does the car drive itself into a park.

Rawcpoppa
22-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Small update. Vehicle is scheduled to be built this month according to the dealer.

Jettas built for the Caribbean do intact get sent to Germany for inspection. This was verified by speaking with a customer from Jamaica and this fact was stated without my hinting or prompting. Vehicles sent to the US or Australia are most likely inspected by VW in those countries but isn't really highlighted.

On another note seeing that my JETTA will ship from Germany maybe I will be able to track it easier than if it was to be shipped from Mexico.

ziggyboy
23-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Small update. Vehicle is scheduled to be built this month according to the dealer.

Jettas built for the Caribbean do intact get sent to Germany for inspection. This was verified by speaking with a customer from Jamaica and this fact was stated without my hinting or prompting. Vehicles sent to the US or Australia are most likely inspected by VW in those countries but isn't really highlighted.

On another note seeing that my JETTA will ship from Germany maybe I will be able to track it easier than if it was to be shipped from Mexico.
I highly doubt this happens. Doesn't make much logistical sense to have them make the car in Mexico, have them sent to Germany, then onto destination countries.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Yeah, that's the OPS - Optical Parking System. The park-itself version is called Park Assist 2.

IIRC, Park Assist simply means reverse and front sensors.

Again, no Park Assist 2 option available in Australia for the new Jettas.
I have tried this on the latest model Passat. It's so effin cool. It can do parallel and 90degree parking!!!

Rawcpoppa
24-01-2012, 06:50 AM
I was doubtful as well ziggyboy but that info has come from three separate persons, two of them without my prompting and in separate countries.

It doesn't apply to larger markets like the US or Australia but the Caribbean could never be considered a large market for VW and possibly it's logistically beneficial to them if they are only shipping 10 or so vehicles to the Caribbean per month?

Rawcpoppa
28-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Update: Vehicle built, VIN obtained and *drumroll* vehicle is listed as "internal transfer" and is on it's way to Germany :s

What do you guys think of this? My vin is WVWZZZ16ZCM******

Do your vins start off with WVW or 3VW?