PDA

View Full Version : chipped MK4's how much boost

VWEAPN
01-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Just so i get a general idea i would like to know how much psi people are running on their chipped MK4's APR, GIAC etc. mainly speaking for stock GTI's or with small mods

dont be shy

h100vw
01-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Most chips I have seen go up to a maximum of a BAR but the K03 can't hold that for very long and it drops away as the revs rise.

I wouldn't buy a chip solely on the boost it produces, if that is the reason for your question.

All the suppliers have different methods for writing software, which they maintain are the best for whatever reason.

More boost in the midrange, loads of advance just off tickover etc etc. Lots of ways of skinning the 20V turbo cat!!

Gavin

dancet
02-07-2007, 02:38 PM
We have a showday holiday today, so I was cruising home from the gf's place and thought I'd go for a bit of a drive...and your question gave me a good excuse to open her up VWEAPN.

Max PSI in :

- 1st gear: 7-8 PSI
- 2nd gear: 13-14 PSI
- 3rd gear: 15 PSI

So yeah, remembering boost gauges aren't precision instruments. I'm chipped with GIAC in a 2001 GTi. Only other mod is an upgraded DV. Before the GIAC chip I was hitting about 6-7 PSI in second, so a pretty big difference with the chip.

Also, I filled up recently with the intention of driving conservatively to see how many K's I could get from a tank...so you ruined my experiment VWEAPN! Haha no really don't feel bad, my conservative driving only lasted about a day before I started putting the hammer down again.

Hope this info is useful!

VWEAPN
02-07-2007, 09:26 PM
terribly sorry about the good thrashing you gave your car lol. Yes i will keep in mind that gauges are not too precise - im pushing 14psi in 4th gear, have u ever seen how much boost u been on in 4th gear or would u rather keep ur eyes on the road at those speeds lol. i dont have a boost gauge, that was just a one off which was connected. not sure what psi it was at in 1st 2nd
3rd. but im pretty sure it wasnt more than 13 in 3rd.

dancet
02-07-2007, 09:47 PM
haha yeah not too sure about 4th. I assume about 15 PSI also. As previously said the K03's max is about 1 BAR (14-15 PSI).

What chip do you have?

DUB 20V
03-07-2007, 10:16 AM
terribly sorry about the good thrashing you gave your car lol. Yes i will keep in mind that gauges are not too precise - im pushing 14psi in 4th gear, have u ever seen how much boost u been on in 4th gear or would u rather keep ur eyes on the road at those speeds lol. i dont have a boost gauge, that was just a one off which was connected. not sure what psi it was at in 1st 2nd
3rd. but im pretty sure it wasnt more than 13 in 3rd.

running 1.1 bar boost all day going very strong sence i now dont have a chip, got a haltech interceptor, got to love that it can be tuned for your car, not cars in general.

SoVeReIgN
03-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Haven't hooked up a boost gauge yet but mine should be running 18~19PSI (max) before (rather quickly) dropping off.

VWEAPN
03-07-2007, 12:30 PM
dave i know your numbers are high, you are banned from this thread
GIAC chip

SoVeReIgN
03-07-2007, 01:07 PM
dave i know your numbers are high, you are banned from this thread
GIAC chip

I can't help that I have a large cock.

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/fruits/images/rooster.jpg

:? :D

VW18LT
03-07-2007, 07:46 PM
i am running 17~18pis at about 4500rpm before it drops down to 12pis at about 5300rpm. i am running a Haltec E8.

gpk_gti
03-07-2007, 07:49 PM
I can't help that I have a large cock.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

:? :D

looks like you play with your cock alot!hahahaha