PDA

View Full Version : TP button

neo25x5
30-06-2007, 08:44 PM
does the TP function work on standard units in 06 Jetta? I note that once you find a compatiable FM station, it will automatically cut into the playing of a CD for example with traffic reports. Is this right?

ScienceVR6
01-07-2007, 04:03 PM
does the TP function work on standard units in 06 Jetta? I note that once you find a compatiable FM station, it will automatically cut into the playing of a CD for example with traffic reports. Is this right?

From what i belive that is the correct function of said button, as for the opporation of the factory deck, i hope that someone else may have a better answer for you.

The_Hawk
26-07-2007, 09:56 AM
In one of my old cars I had a flash JVC deck that had this function (may have been named differently).

It had lots of settings, like traffic, weather, news etc and whenever it found a station broadcasting that it was supposed to switch to it.

This also ment that my electric antenna never went down when listening to a CD as it was still scanning for this info. Only found out what it did because the antenna was staying up and I was wondering why.

Anyway, long story short, it's up to the radio stations to encode the data into their signal.
They can also code in what type of music/station it is like Rock, Jazz, Sport etc so you do a search for a "rock" station while driving around.
Lastly they are able to code in their station name so your head unit can display the station name rather than it's freq. A nice touch.

I'm not aware of any Australian radio stations that use the potential of this system past putting their name into the signal, even then it's only a few that bother with that.

I think it's a case of not enough people with the gear to recieve the info coupled with a fairly low number of stations in any one geographical area.

anarchycamp
26-07-2007, 05:21 PM

It does work(In my Golf anyway)...most stations dont put out the signal though....in Sydney i think the only one that does is 2WS? (I will check which station when i get in the car next though)

SoVeReIgN
13-08-2007, 10:47 PM
I thought this was a government thing - When the government does a broadcast across all channels having the TP button pressed the deck will record a minute or two of it.

I do know however there is nothing in Aus that supports the button.

Angryman
19-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Its definenetly for traffic reports nothing to do with the government.

Here in Brisbane the only station that broadcasts the signal is River FM
94.9FM

Roodosutaa
02-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I thought that button is for your bunghole...

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/blahdocs/uploads/copy_of_db_beavis_cornholio1_7144.gif