PDA

View Full Version : caddy exhaust

vwpolo
16-10-2011, 12:47 AM
ive got a 1.6 petrol and looking at options on the exhaust , can a cat be removed from oz without being replaced? or what a better free flowing model

wai
16-10-2011, 10:11 AM
The vehicle has to comply with certain ADR and other regulations. These do not specify what has to be used, all they do specify is the end result. Manufacturers then decide on what has to be fitted to comply with these rules. It is highly unlikely that a manufacturer will fit something that is not necessary so.

In short it is there so that the particular regulation is complied with. I cannot see any manufacturer that wants to be competitive on price, fitting something costing as much as a catalytic converter when they did not need to.

GoLfMan
16-10-2011, 10:33 AM
If you get caught with no cat there is a HUGE fines that apply.

Just go for a Magnaflow high flow cat. That way you are on the right side of the law ;)

vwpolo
17-10-2011, 01:37 PM
thanks golfman for your help and glad you read the post without judgement and getting on a high horse i only asked for option not a rant about right and wrong

GoLfMan
17-10-2011, 02:49 PM
no worries mate, happy to help. Taking the Cat out will give you bugger all difference in performance anyway :)

vwpolo
17-10-2011, 07:48 PM
yeah wasnt thinking of it as a performance thing , just got trouble engine light and i had a mechanic look at it and responce was bank one under theshold so was just looking at option to fix this problem without replacing everything first.

Lams
18-10-2011, 02:05 PM
could be the O2 sensor also, VWs don't have the most reliable O2 sensors in the world that's for sure