PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 vs. 3.2

browndizzle
10-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Hey guys,

So I have been looking all over watercooled and the 'tex, trying to find info about conversions into the 2.8L VR6. Some say go for the 24V 2.8L from the bora, however, the 3.2L (R32) swap sounds interesting and rather satisfying once completed. I ve seen the outcome of this conversion and the mouth waters heavily. However, the 24V conversion sounds quite good as well, apparently quite easy compared to the R32??

Has anyone on here had experience with either and/or know whats to be done, what it takes financially and what the difference in both potential and power of each engine is?? If someone could help clarify this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Its been on my mind for ages and I wouldnt mind going ahead with one of them sometime in the near future

Cheers,

Simon.

Valver.
12-10-2011, 12:03 PM
The 2.8 24v makes about 150kW; the 3.2 177/184kW (Mk4/Mk5 respectively), but is significantly 'torquier' down low. All these figures will vary depending on the exhaust configuration you use.

It's not hard to bump the 2.8 to around 165kW and the 3.2 to around 200kW with very minor mods. If you're just after performance, I'd consider turbocharging the 12v VR6, but if you're after a genuinely soulful engine, fit the 3.2, using a complete R32 donor vehicle (preferably a Mk4 for a number of reasons). The cost of the engine swap route will be considerably more than a VR6-T if you don't open up the VR6 engine (i.e. you only drop the compression using a spacer plate), but if you rebuild it with forged internals, then the $$ will add up meaning the cost of both options will be much the same.

If it were my car, I'd fit an R32 engine, as I prefer NA, but it depends where your preferences lie :)

Fitting the 2.8 24v over the 3.2 is hardly any different. They both use drive-by-wire and come from Haldex-based donor cars - the decision just comes down to the purchase price of the donor car etc.

No engine conversion will be cheap if you pay someone to complete it, though.

browndizzle
12-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Thankyou heaps for that Valver! Awesome info!! Yeah Im after performance, so I guess turboing my VR is the best option. If you mean opening it up, as in doing cam work (cams, over-sized valves etc etc) and having work like port n polish, boring out to 3L and the list goes on...the yes, I will be opening it up. :) Cant wait!!

Valver.
24-10-2011, 11:29 AM
If you mean opening it up, as in doing cam work (cams, over-sized valves etc etc) and having work like port n polish, boring out to 3L and the list goes on...the yes, I will be opening it up. :) Cant wait!!

Sorry, forgot to reply to this!

By 'opening it up', I meant in terms of rebuilding the bottom end with lower compression pistons etc, rather than decompressing it with a spacer or stacked gaskets :)

jvlracing
02-11-2011, 03:59 PM
OR u could do 2.8 with a R32 head....
the 2.8 will rev harder....Cams will come into play

Or stick with the 2.8 and flow the 2.8 head prob cheapest option

jvlracing
09-12-2011, 07:54 PM
anymore progress on this simon?