PDA

View Full Version : Why so many random ads?

Water Boy
07-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Ads. Man how many bloody ads do me need poping up?

Im fine with the car forum sponsores but I dont give 2 hoots about some one piece g-string.

The_Hawk
07-10-2011, 08:05 PM
As a logged in member you should normally only see one ad at the top of the page and one or two (depending on what size comes up) at the bottom (which you may never actually scroll down far enough to see). The bottom one has been there for a long time now, it's just that new one at the top.

It is a new company I have just started testing out this month to see how they go. So far I have seen VW Golf drive away sale, ANZ, GE Finanace and Westfields... maybe it's picking up on your browser history ;)

mikinoz
07-10-2011, 08:23 PM
I think it's crap as it's shown me ads for coke, mazda, mcdonalds and ge money.

I'd prefer to pay a sub than this crap.

Coralon
11-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Yeah I have had a few less than ordinary ads as well. I could live with them if they didnt popup and require the now playing video to be closed! How can we make VWW ad free once again? More supporters?

Tim
11-10-2011, 07:51 AM
I dont have a problem with ads so long as you get rid of those annoying ones where you accidently roll over them and they start playing large videos. Its especially bad when theyre at the top just under the menu cos you roll over them by accident all the time!

(says the man who advertises here) :D

kaanage
12-10-2011, 04:24 PM
I find it's slowing the site down heaps, especially on mobile network.
Plus all the extra flash movie data eats into your download allowance......

Greg Roles
12-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Perhaps if more people supported the forum with a few $$, there would be no need for these nasty ads??

Cookie28
12-10-2011, 07:17 PM
I would definitely be a supporter but I have pretty much no money (literally less than $100 to my name haha) and what I do have goes towards my car

The_Hawk
12-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the ongoing feedback guys. As I said it's being trialed for a month or so to see how it works or doesn't. I will see if there is a way I can exclude the ads that pop up when you roll over them (I'm not a fan at all), although I haven't hit one of those in a few days.

More sponsors would be great, but the reality is that they would be taking over that same ad space at the top of the forums... unless of course they are just eccentric billionaires!

Blitzen
13-10-2011, 10:37 PM
I think the ads are a waste of bandwidth. We have no reason for them on here. I highly doubt that the forum needs advertising for companies unrelated to this forum (why the **** is there sponsorship by Alfa for the Mito at the bottom od the screen??!!) to pay for the use of VBullitin.
Scrap the ads... That is the worst thing about other forums... But at least on other forums, the advertising has something to do with the forum itself...
I'm with Tim too about the top ad bar... It's too close to the title, and you end up pressing on the ad link, taking you to a site you don't want to go to.

Bora Sport
14-10-2011, 01:16 PM
I haven't had any of these issues.

Blitzen
30-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Had to laugh at the annoying banner advertisements advertising Qantas package holidays!!

Transporter
30-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Had to laugh at the annoying banner advertisements advertising Qantas package holidays!!

LOL, me too. :grin:

brimway
24-12-2011, 10:34 AM
I wondered what all the talk re ads was all about because I don't get them. Using Firefox with "Adblock Plus" add-on, no ads.