PDA

View Full Version : superb or yeti for family car

netpenthe
06-10-2011, 09:06 PM
i have a 2 year old and another on the way, hence i'm looking for a new car

i was looking at getting a yeti when they come out (30k, petrol, 2wd - i don't go anywhere off road)

but then was seeing 2 year old diesel superbs are about the same price (sedan though)

i think i'm just planning on buying a car and running it until it stops (about 15 years?). this will, at least initially, be the only car we have.

couple of questions:
1. has anyone got a baby seat in a superb sedan? would a superb sedan be big enough for family with two car seats? is yeti better?
2. would you get yeti or superb in this situation?
3. what would the running/maintenance costs be like between them?
4. do 2009 superbs still have warranty?

woofy
06-10-2011, 09:39 PM
1. No but have two in an Octavia, they fit fine, in both cars you will not really have a centre seat though. The Superb is longer but not much wider.
2. Superb, the Yeti is too small for families, but to be honest the Octy might do you as well
3.Pretty much the same.
4. Yes, 3 yr std and you can extend it another 3 yrs for around $1800

johnw
06-10-2011, 09:55 PM
yetis smaller than a tiguan so you won't have enough space for prams and other kids stuff in the boot, superb would be better choice I reckon. I was tossing up between Tiguan and Passat and Tiguan was way too small.

Illy
07-10-2011, 06:52 AM
Get an Octavia or Superb Wagon. I have an Octavia Wagon with one 2 year old. Boot is huge and fits everything in (pram, etc...).

Yeti boot is a little bit too small. Great if you dont have kids though!

netpenthe
07-10-2011, 07:10 AM
hmm, superb wagons are a bit more than i wanted to spend :( .. would be ideal..

was looking at 2 year old superb sedan...

does sound like thats the way to go.

BluChris
07-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Tough call, both have plenty of appeal. However, unless you need the more compact dimensions because you regularly use tight parking spots etc, or intend to resell very quickly (Yeti probably easier to unload) I'd have to say the Superb. My Octavia comfortably takes 4 mid size adults plus lots of holiday luggage, a Superb would be even better. Tons of room, huge boot, well equipped and a really nice car. I've seen the second hand sedans too and I wish I were in the market - there are some really good buys out there.

RSOK
07-10-2011, 09:52 AM
I have an Octavia RS wagon, my kids were 1 month old and 2.5yo when I got it, and it's a perfect size for the four of us.

If your choice is purely between the Superb wagon or the Yeti then the Superb wagon is your answer. Yeti will be too small for your needs in terms of lugging prams and porta-cots and luggage etc on family getaways (eg I looked at the Tiguan when I was looking to buy and as soon as I opened the boot I crossed it off my list... Yeti will be the same).

But if the Superb is out of reach of your budget, why not consider the Octavia? A used one eg an '09 or '10 TDI wagon wouldn't set you back more than maybe $25-28k.

But a Superb sedan would also probably do you, with it's 'hatch back' feature it can sure take a lot of cargo in that boot.

woofy
07-10-2011, 12:39 PM
By the way a Superbs boot is hardly any bigger than an Octavia in reality, there is more legroom in the backseat though.

VAG newbie
07-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I would also say Superb. I got 2 toddlers myself and I would say rear legroom is still quite important.

Initially I thought they are just little kids, rear leg room not a problem, so I went and got a Accord Euro. Big mistake! Very soon, the rear leg space will he filled with all their toys and books, and it becomes so hard to get the kids in and out of the car! For long trips, other than the usual annoying "are we there yet", they'll kick the front seat. Imagine having them kicking on the back if your seat for hours!! With the Superb, there is no chance that they can even touch the front seat!

Later I got a Volvo XC60. Bit more legroom, but the boot is too small. Everytime we go traveling, I can only fit one big and one small suit case and a stroller (can't fit a pram!) and that's it! I would imagine Yeti's boot is only going to be smaller. For the same amount of luggage, we fitted into a Octavia liftback, it fitted nicely with lots of room to spare. So I'd say for the Superb sedan, you will have plenty of space. Although not as good as the wagon, it will still be better then most SUV's out there.

As the op is planning to keep the car for 15 years, by then the kids are gonna be big teenagers, it is more important to have the extra legrooms.

Also for $30k, for the Yeti you can only get a barebone 77TSI, which is only a 1.2L engine, compare with Superb's 1.8L or 2.0 diesel. So if you ever need to tow something, or even at highway overtaking, this extra power and torque will only help.

Speaking of resale, as you are planning to keep the car for a long time, that should't be an issue. But even if you are planning to sell it in a few years time, since you are getting a second hand Superb, the depreciation won't be as big as a new car.

The Superb is also a much better equipt car. More bang for your buck.

Downside? You don't get that new car smell. Your Mrs might have trouble parking it. Also if you have to attend to your kid in the car (like handing some food to them) they'll be so far away that you can't reach them. So bring your wife along and make sure her seats are all the way back! (but then she will have trouble reaching the glovebox unless she is 6' tall)

I would also advice you to take extended warranty if going for second hand Superb. Not necessary from Skoda (many insurance company will offer it). As the repair cost can cost a fortune since most components are same as VW and Audi.

VAG newbie
07-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Just an additional points about 2 child seats at the back. Basically all cars will fit 2 child seats at the back seat (we did once in a Hyundai i20, so I can assure you Superb is wider than i20) But no cars can have 2 child seats and fit an adult comfortably in the centre seat. Not even Commodore or Falcon. You can squeeze in, but will be really cramped in the centre seat. Ok for short trip, but not for more than 1 hr. So if you are planning to carry more than 2 adults and the 2 kids regularly, I would advice you to go for a 7 seater.

RSwag
07-10-2011, 09:58 PM
yetis smaller than a tiguan .

What do you base this on?? How does the Yeti have less space internally than the Tiguan?? In fact given the superior design it would actually have more room, just can't see how you come this conclusion.

Please explain

Jake02
07-10-2011, 10:04 PM
What do you base this on??

Purely exterior size?

netpenthe
08-10-2011, 01:06 PM
had a sit in a superb sedan

pretty awesome inside.. didn't get to look at boot as they were just closing up..

VAG newbie
08-10-2011, 02:04 PM
had a sit in a superb sedan

pretty awesome inside.. didn't get to look at boot as they were just closing up..

Don't worry, you won't be disappointed with it's boot space. Perhaps not as big as a wagon, I haven't seen any sedan with a bigger boot. This includes Commodores and Falcons. Not to mention you also have a bigger opening with the Superb's twin door design.

brad
08-10-2011, 06:29 PM
I would also say Superb. I got 2 toddlers myself and I would say rear legroom is still quite important.

Initially I thought they are just little kids, rear leg room not a problem, so I went and got a Accord Euro. Big mistake! Very soon, the rear leg space will he filled with all their toys and books, and it becomes so hard to get the kids in and out of the car! For long trips, other than the usual annoying "are we there yet", they'll kick the front seat. Imagine having them kicking on the back if your seat for hours!! With the Superb, there is no chance that they can even touch the front seat!
My kids tried kicking the seat. So I stopped the car & smacked the offender on the leg. It only took a few repeat performances to make them realise they were the passenger & not the Captain.

To the OP: I'd recommend the Superb as well if it has to be a Skoda..... but if not, I'd spend (a lot less) dollars on a 2yr old Falcon or Commodore (not necessarily the base trim level though) & turn it over at 5-6yrs (car age) so that I keep better pace with technologies (ie: look how far behind a 1996 Volvo is these days). Best family cars we have had were the Holden Captiva 7 seater & the Toyota Avensis 7 seater closely followed by the last of the Camry wagons & the various Berlinas/Fairmonts/Calais/Commodore S that the wife has had.

CanberravRS
09-10-2011, 03:28 PM
All ill say is that if your planning on having a car that long, your likely to need size/space.. Go the Superb.. They are pretty bullet proof. DSG is my only Gripe.... Or could it just be the crap dsg controller that Skoda fit vs the VW equivalent. If you cant get a Manual do it... Not sure any Manual Superb's exist? I'd give my molars for a manual in my V6 Superb though.

johnw
11-10-2011, 09:27 AM
What do you base this on?? How does the Yeti have less space internally than the Tiguan?? In fact given the superior design it would actually have more room, just can't see how you come this conclusion.

Please explain

I got that from a press release. more compact was their words. Tiguan is too small for two kids anyway unless you take nothing else with you.

brad
11-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Please explain
Not sure about the passenger area but the rear overhang is much less, therefore the boot can only be smaller - unless SKoda know how the Tardis works.

Transporter
11-10-2011, 10:45 AM
The Tiguan has a very generous space for the rear passengers at the expense of the cargo area. But, you can push the rear seat forwards to make more space for the luggage. With the rear seats in the normal position the boot in Tiguan is as small as in the Golf5, but, we can leave with that. :)

Until I see it, I belive that the boot may be bigger in the Yeti than in the Tiguan.