PDA

View Full Version : A new owner's stupid questions......

craig_the_german
26-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Hi everyone,

well it has been almost a week now that I have owned the mk4 (GL 1.6 man)and now I have some stupid questions to ask. For those of you who are experienced owners, they may seem silly and easily explained but there are a couple of things that are puzzling me....so here goes....

1. The rear hatch window has a wiper on it, does it have a washer as well and if so....where do you put the water in...I have looked and looked and can only find the bottle for the front washers..or does that one do both?

2. The drivers door has what appears to be a tiny LED right next to the door lock button (the one at the top of the door). What is this for and should it light up? Mine doesn't.

3. Lubricants. Is there a list of lubricants? Gearbox oil etc and change intervals? I have read the owners manual and it explains all about the service indicator on the dash but gives no indication of what to use in the gearbox etc.

I appologise for the seemingly silly questions but I just like to know these things.

As for owning the Golf...I should have bought one years ago......

syncro
26-06-2007, 07:31 AM
1. The rear hatch window has a wiper on it, does it have a washer as well and if so....where do you put the water in...I have looked and looked and can only find the bottle for the front washers..or does that one do both?

Front bottle may do both. Should be in manual

2. The drivers door has what appears to be a tiny LED right next to the door lock button (the one at the top of the door). What is this for and should it light up? Mine doesn't.
This indicates the central locking is locked. Should flash when button is pressed on remote.

3. Lubricants. Is there a list of lubricants? Gearbox oil etc and change intervals? I have read the owners manual and it explains all about the service indicator on the dash but gives no indication of what to use in the gearbox etc.

Gearbox oil has no service interval.

Yes.

ope126
26-06-2007, 08:39 AM
As above... Any futher questions please let us know! :D

craig_the_german
26-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the answers...seems silly but when you don't know....

One last thing...mine doesn't have remote central locking, just central locking with the key, does that mean that the little LED shouldn't light up for me...it doesn't.

Thanks again

spritle
26-06-2007, 09:57 AM
I have a 2000 1.6 manual (since new).

1) yes, the one water bottle is used for the front and rear washers.

2) The LED on the door should light up, as described in the manual. First lock, it deadlocks the doors (ie can't open the door from inside, or unlock using the driver's door lock controller) and lights up. Lock again with the key, and it undeadlocks the doors and the LED stops flashing.

cheers

cusack
26-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Just a small thing in case you didnt already know, when you leave the signal light on when turning off the engine, it will turn on the park light.
I didnt actually know this one so I was a bit freaked out when it first happened. haha.

…me too!

gtiono
26-06-2007, 08:33 PM
another freaky thing you may experience is when you play with the powered right side mirror, the left mirror will move magically too. So best to change right first and left later.