PDA

View Full Version : Passat 2.0L TDI MY07 - 103kW

vw50
25-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Hello all:

re my new passat 07 TDI 103kw, and the use of engine oil, the manual mentions "long life service" "without long life service". What does this mean. I did contact VWa and they 'think' it refers to overseas service intervals. I tried a couple of dealers and they were not much better. Depending on what type of 'service' there are different types of engine oil. All I wanted is a take home top up quantity. All that a dealer told me is that Castrol makes a specific oil for VW, in this case the passat tdi, which they use during service, but they don't seem to sell it in small quantities. Any thoughts on this please?

VW50.

Transporter
25-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Hello all:

re my new passat 07 TDI 103kw, and the use of engine oil, the manual mentions "long life service" "without long life service". What does this mean. I did contact VWa and they 'think' it refers to overseas service intervals. I tried a couple of dealers and they were not much better. Depending on what type of 'service' there are different types of engine oil. All I wanted is a take home top up quantity. All that a dealer told me is that Castrol makes a specific oil for VW, in this case the passat tdi, which they use during service, but they don't seem to sell it in small quantities. Any thoughts on this please?

VW50.

Buy it in 5L container. It will not get old. Full synthetic oil has a verry long life in storage. You want to buy "Castrol SLX Long Life II" 0w-30 vw506.01.
Be carefull not to buy SLX LongTec which is wrong oil for Tdi. It has to state vw 506.01.

vw50
26-06-2007, 02:38 PM
thanks fior the reply.

bit more research re oil for these vw's. "long life" and "without long life" does refer to the service interval.

for the 103kw passat -no particle filter- castrol has made for vw, a vw 505.01 standard 5w-40 syn for turbo's. see link below.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/multipleproductsection.do?categoryId=9012266&contentId=7024136

vw50 (plus this model in aust is the normal 15k service which = 'without long life service')

origin
26-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi Vw50,

I used mobil 1 10-30w syn to top up.

I brought to VW dealer my mobil 1 10-30w syn and oil filter. I asked them to change my oil and filter. The service manager didnot complaint. He told me. Mobil 1 10 - 30w is better than castrol. I will change my engine oil for every 5000km / 6 months which one come first for my passat 07 tdi. I bought 10 oil filter from them for trade price.

It cost me $110 dollars for labour.. and stamp...for warranty purpose:D

That my idea.. any other better ideas??;)

cheers
origin

Transporter
26-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi Vw50,

I used mobil 1 10-30w syn to top up.

I brought to VW dealer my mobil 1 10-30w syn and oil filter. I asked them to change my oil and filter. The service manager didnot complaint. He told me. Mobil 1 10 - 30w is better than castrol. I will change my engine oil for every 5000km / 6 months which one come first for my passat 07 tdi. I bought 10 oil filter from them for trade price.

It cost me $110 dollars for labour.. and stamp...for warranty purpose:D

That my idea.. any other better ideas??;)

cheers
origin

Hi Origin,
If the oil you are using is not a VW 505.01 or VW 506.01 or VW 507.00 you are risking that your cam shaft followers, camshaft lobes and possibly other engine components will wear out much sooner than thay normally would.

Your dealer probably put on the invoice they gave you something like that:
" Performed 15,000km service as per schedule using motor oil as supplyed by customer." And there goes your warranty down the loo, if something goes wrong within 100,000km /3years. They wipe their hands clean since you supplyed motor oil to them. So much for the stamp in the book!

brackie
26-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Whatever you do, you must use the stipulated oil in PD engines. Not only will you void your warranty, but even if the engine survives the 100,000kms until the warranty runs out, the cam lobes that engage the individual pump/injectors could be compromised and you'll pay the price later. Remember the extreme pressure that these PDs generate and you won't want to take any chances ;)

Transporter
26-06-2007, 06:01 PM
thanks fior the reply.

bit more research re oil for these vw's. "long life" and "without long life" does refer to the service interval.

for the 103kw passat -no particle filter- castrol has made for vw, a vw 505.01 standard 5w-40 syn for turbo's. see link below.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/multipleproductsection.do?categoryId=9012266&contentId=7024136

vw50 (plus this model in aust is the normal 15k service which = 'without long life service')

I'm just using VW506.01 since it is approved for my T5 Tdi for 2 years or 50,000km in Europe. And I know busineses there which done over 500,000km in Long life regime using that oil. Since 128kw 5cyl. Tdi would be more sensitive to correct oil because of the all aluminium engine and timing gears instead chain or belt I just asume that oil is good enough or better than VW505.01 or even VW507.00- which has lower HTHS index.

Yoy can buy Fuchs Titan with VW tdi specs. you would have to probably order from Car parts store which sells Titan oils.

Be carefull with wording on the oil container label it shoul have there " Aproved by VW".
Not just made to vw specs. 506.01, meet or excede VW specs....
such oil companies didn't admit their oil samples to VW for testing( VW test is diferent to SAE tests or API test which are for oil companies voluntary tests only. SAE or API recommendes them to keep the data from the tests they conducted on their own). VW use their own test for their engines which is more demanding and much more sophisticated than SAE or API tests. Test was developed together with current unit injector engine years ago. Castrol was oil company selected from the bunch of oil companies which had right technology at the time. There was article about it I've got it somewhere.

My Golf V Tdi has The Castrol logo on the oil cap. Don't get misled by Mobil stickers on your car, since no Mobil oil other than (Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 VW507.00) has no VW specs for PD Tdi.

brackie
26-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Because this subject is common to all VW PD engines I've made the decision to move this tread to the "Fuels and Lubricants" forum. In this forum the subject of "correct oils" has been well discussed to date, however new input is always desired.

origin
27-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi M50,

I asked the manager of service if I could use it.

I asked him if no I will buy oil from you guys. He told me. That fine he showed to me the label on the bottle 507 VW.. See that fine. no void warranty..

He didnot put anything on the receipt. oil -- $0.0, filter --$0.0 labour $100 and gst --$10..

I bought 3 bottles of oil from him after the service through part. I like to buy in bulk save more money...I got 3 bottles of vw label oil and it is cheaper than mobil 1..it saved me $10 dollars every services for oil and filter.

my collection is remaing 3 bottles of vw oil and 9 oil filters.:D:D

cheers
origin

Transporter
27-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Hi M50,

I asked the manager of service if I could use it.

I asked him if no I will buy oil from you guys. He told me. That fine he showed to me the label on the bottle 507 VW.. See that fine. no void warranty..

He didnot put anything on the receipt. oil -- $0.0, filter --$0.0 labour $100 and gst --$10..

I bought 3 bottles of oil from him after the service through part. I like to buy in bulk save more money...I got 3 bottles of vw label oil and it is cheaper than mobil 1..it saved me $10 dollars every services for oil and filter.

my collection is remaing 3 bottles of vw oil and 9 oil filters.:D:D

cheers
origin

Oil .... $0.00
Oil filter..$0.00

it means to me and everyone that VW dealer didn't supply oil or oil filter, so it will be up to you to prove what did you use.