PDA

View Full Version : Caddy Maxi inspection tips

goodfella
30-09-2011, 12:01 PM
My brother lives interstate and is looking to buy a Caddy Maxi for trade purposes. He has found a Maxi TDI here in Syd and I hope to inspect it this weekend, but coming from a petrol world, I was wondering if there are any things I need to look out for on the TDI specifically. Its got some warranty left and low kms, so there is some reassurance, thus I am only doing an initial validation before a proper pre purchase inspection.

Lams
30-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi goodfella, the engines in these are bulletproof providing they've been serviced properly. They are picky on oil and quite a number of Caddys have had turbo internals come out the exhaust, because the wrong oil's been used.
So they either work, or they fail catastrophically!
Oh and check that it blows cold air within 20 seconds. And if you're after a DSG, make sure it doesn't behave like a learner manual driver. If you're going for a manual, make sure the gearbox feels good and there's no strange vibrations or noises

They're a good solid car but a lot of them get abused

goodfella
30-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the advice.. I'll be checking the service history too, and its manual so minimal complexity.