PDA

View Full Version : Raising an already lowered 6n2 gti. What are the costs?

Bean623
27-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Hey there,

I just bought a VW Polo GTi 2001 which drives very well. The problem is just the previous owner lowered the car too much and every time I do a full lock left turn the tire scratches the car and there is a loud noise. Therefore I wanna raise the car a few cms...

An automechanic quoted 600 NZD (475 australian). Is that a fair price?

He says he has to replace all the springs in the car and every spring costs 100 NZD and then of course his work.

Somebody on trademe.co.nz recommended this site because its specialized on VW.

Appreciate it.

Rob Burns
27-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Sounds correct to me unless you have coil overs.

sports racer
06-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Why not get hold of some standard springs and find someone cheap / local to replace them if you can't do it yourself? That way you get the springs cheap and only pay for labour. It's an easy job to replace springs.

Buller_Scott
14-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Why not get hold of some standard springs and find someone cheap / local to replace them if you can't do it yourself? That way you get the springs cheap and only pay for labour. It's an easy job to replace springs.

+1

dont let the mechanic buy the springs, he'd be ripping you off - i dont know of anywhere (other than maybe VW spare parts) that sells springs individually. if you only wanted mild lowering, then you could get into contact with slammed distribution (on these forums) and see if they cant do you a deal on 30mm lowering springs (i dealt with them recently and can vouch for the prices, customer service and customer satisfaction).

otherwise, something like a supersport kit with springs AND dampers is only like $250 from orange-tuning.de, so you'd have the ride height you want, and better handling to boot.

Transporter
14-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Hey there,

I just bought a VW Polo GTi 2001 which drives very well. The problem is just the previous owner lowered the car too much and every time I do a full lock left turn the tire scratches the car and there is a loud noise. Therefore I wanna raise the car a few cms...

An automechanic quoted 600 NZD (475 australian). Is that a fair price?

He says he has to replace all the springs in the car and every spring costs 100 NZD and then of course his work.

Somebody on trademe.co.nz recommended this site because its specialized on VW.

Appreciate it.

I think that the price is fair.

noone
06-12-2011, 12:35 PM
If you are happy with the ride, check you don't have coilovers (that can be adjusted to raise / lower the height of your car). If it is, its free...

Is that price for the install labor as well? the springs could be cheaper, but if he's going to install them as well for that price, might be an easy option...