PDA

View Full Version : camber wear wen lowered

BL33SU
22-06-2007, 11:15 PM
how do u's with lowered dubs fix it? my inner sides of the tyres are wearing out fast!
all 4 tyres! :mad::mad:

rayray086
22-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Camber kits? Basically just a bolt with some hinges in it that allows you to set the camber closer to neutral.

BL33SU
22-06-2007, 11:55 PM
who sells them?

rayray086
23-06-2007, 12:28 AM
I remember Pedro buying a pair for the front for his Mk3 at Whiteline's headquarters (Minto I think).

syncro
23-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Why can't you just get a wheel alignment? Camber is adjustable.

BL33SU
23-06-2007, 01:32 PM
searched the forums and found passat camber is not adjustable. need some kind of kit. damn sounds expensive.

peedman
23-06-2007, 02:18 PM
$72 from whiteline, go give em a call. Can also get noltecs too but ~$90 i think, then get a wheel alignment after and ur good.

KI11Z
23-06-2007, 05:42 PM
There not that expensive? though neg camber looks sickness :D i have neg2 on mine and its wearing faster on the inside but handles soooo much better! . . .

rayray086
23-06-2007, 06:02 PM
The kit is merely a modified bolt! So I guess for what you're holding in your hand, it's pretty expensive., though will definitely be cheaper in the long run.

syncro
23-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I find it hard to believe that the camber is not adjustable. I've heard that myth about Golfs also.

rayray086
23-06-2007, 06:59 PM
I've heard that myth about Golfs also.

They say the rears are fixed beams, so they cannot be adjusted :???: Mk3 that is, dunno about the other generations

syncro
23-06-2007, 08:12 PM
They say the rears are fixed beams, so they cannot be adjusted :???: Mk3 that is, dunno about the other generations

Correct. :)

h100vw
23-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Correct. :)

I have some mates that have used shims to generate negative camber on the rear of MK1s 2s and 3s.

I have had VWs running large amounts of -ve camber and not run into wear issues as long as the tracking is set correctly.

Have the Passat aligned and go from there.

Gavin

rayray086
24-06-2007, 02:54 PM
I have some mates that have used shims to generate negative camber on the rear of MK1s 2s and 3s.

I don't know people doing it, but I've heard about it before...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/06/IMG_1055-2.jpg

:o

By the way Gavin, what do you mean by the "tracking" set correctly?

BL33SU
24-06-2007, 02:58 PM
what kind of aalignment do i get?
i have heard of normal and sports? is there really such thing?

h100vw
24-06-2007, 03:19 PM
By tracking I mean having the front wheels set parallel (or as per the book if you have that info).

I have never come across a road car, run with enough negative camber to wear out the tyres. I may be wrong but haven't seen it in 15 years of owning GTIs. I had a couple of degrees -ve on my 2 litre MK2 and drove it for 4 years as my daily driver (20K miles a year) without having this happen.

My Ibiza has just been done after I replaced some bushes. I knew it was out as the front right tyre was well gone on the inside. It was toeing in by a 1/4 inch on that side. Meaning that the fronts of the 2 wheels were 1/4 closer than the rears. This is loads and accounts for the tread wear.

The wheels also had positive camber on both sides.

All the above has been adjusted out and now I can drive round roundabouts without sounding like Starsky and Hutch!! ;0

I would advise that you have a 4 wheel alignment carried out. This also checks that the rear wheels point the front too.

DIDZ
25-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Whiteline are no longer in Minto - they are now in the central coast.

Camber pins are a good investment, I run four in my Nissan and it holds like a gun :D

rayray086
25-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Whiteline are no longer in Minto - they are now in the central coast.

Camber pins are a good investment, I run four in my Nissan and it holds like a gun :D

Ah fair enough. It wasn't that long ago that Pedro gave them a visit.

Anyhow, Autobarn stocks Whiteline stuff, just that it would be more expensive dealing with a middle man. There's no way around it though :(

syncro
25-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Camber pins are a good investment, :D

Why?

What's wrong with stock adjustments?

peedman
25-06-2007, 04:45 PM
This is a good article about camber bolt kits. They use kmac stuff which requires the bolt hole to be drilled out however their theory is that they use the same size thickness bolt as standard so str isnt compromised.

Noltec + whiteline use a thinner eccentric bolt with a teardrop shaped middle that does the same job. I chose this since its easier :D

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=2358

BL33SU
25-06-2007, 04:48 PM
man that doesnt look easy to install.

i will get a 4 wheel allignment and hopefully it fixes it self. how would i tell if it fixed or not after allignment?

peedman
25-06-2007, 04:56 PM
If camber cant be adjusted a wheel alignment wont do squat. I found that out having forked out the $50 when the guy told me and i had to fork out another alignment after installing the camber kit.

Its relatively easier to install if u buy the noltec/whiteline one. All you do is pop front wheels off, remove the top strut bolt and insert the replacement one. Then get a wheel alignment and they will correct the camber.

syncro
25-06-2007, 05:40 PM
If camber cant be adjusted a wheel alignment wont do squat. I found that out having forked out the $50 when the guy told me and i had to fork out another alignment after installing the camber kit.

If that was on a Golf 3 front you've been ripped off. The camber is adjustable by the lower bolts.

peedman
25-06-2007, 05:55 PM
How is it adjusted? Theyre just normal bolts :?

edit: ok i read theres some adjustment on the lower bolt lol, oh well mine does the job too :P

syncro
26-06-2007, 07:02 AM
This is why I hate most mechanics.

It's very hard to find someone to do a wheel alignment.

smithy010
27-06-2007, 06:25 PM
By tracking I mean having the front wheels set parallel (or as per the book if you have that info).

The front wheels should always have a small amount of toe in, to make the system stable. Not sure what is the nominal for road vehicles, but it's a definite requirement. (Can explain the theory if you really want!)

h100vw
27-06-2007, 06:51 PM
The front wheels should always have a small amount of toe in, to make the system stable. Not sure what is the nominal for road vehicles, but it's a definite requirement. (Can explain the theory if you really want!)

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Remember also that toe will change slightly from a static situation to a dynamic one. This is is most noticeable on a front-wheel-drive car or independently-suspended rear-drive car. When driving torque is applied to the wheels, they pull themselves forward and try to create toe-in. This is another reason why many front-drivers are set up with toe-out in the front. Likewise, when pushed down the road, a non-driven wheel will tend to toe itself out. This is most noticeable in rear-drive cars.

Gavin

rayray086
27-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Are you sure it's toe-in? I thought it was a slight toe-out for front-wheel drive vehicles as they tend to toe-in when under power (so that they'd be parallel when moving), and it's the opposite with rear-wheel drive vehicles as the front wheels are being pushed rather than driven. I don't know how that works but I just read somewhere.

smithy010
27-06-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm not sure about that. For road vehicles, toe in is a general rule. The overall rule is that steering will not track correctly if parallel. It is better if the wheels are aiming at a common point off in the distance. Toe out works similarly, but i believe that it is used a lot in Track racing vehicles to effect a greater angle of attack in turns (in combination with positive ackermann).

Anyone who knows more about the differences in fron/rear wheel drive vehicles, i'd like to know.

Enough technical talk.

Smithy

syncro
28-06-2007, 05:31 PM
I'd like to know more about your ackermann.:confused:

smithy010
28-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Is that a question, or are you concerned about the use of (slightly) positive ackerman?
I don't want to turn this into a chest beating session.

gldgti
05-07-2007, 11:28 PM
it all depends on the car guys, and the driver, and the tyres, etc etc etc.

toe in is often considered more "stable". many cars will be set up with this.

the amount that toe changes with acceleration varies with how your cars suspension geometry is set up, and how much you are accelerating, hence this should be considered pretty average practice since all you can do is guess about how much this will affect wear/tracking/handling of the car. in the big picture, your toe will change more because of suspension lift or dive than because of acceleration (in either direction).

if you take your car to mechanic jo, he will give it a little toe in. this will help offset any wear from the slight amount of negative camber suggested by the vehicle manufacturer, and will help you understeer when you are crashing rather than oversteer and hit other things/people/cars etc (because you are ignorent of these things).

when you race prep your fwd car, you will probably give it toe out. this gives you some extra cornering force, but may make the steering feel a little strange until your used to it. depending on your rear suspension setup, you might be more prone to oversteer aswell.

smithy010
06-07-2007, 03:28 AM
Well said Aydan.

BL33SU
11-07-2007, 03:37 PM
just went to bob jane at tempe.. and was told they cant do allignment coz the car is too low!

???????????/

he goes i need a place that has like a flat surface that i drive up on instead of those normal 1's..

DubSteve
12-07-2007, 11:57 AM
just went to bob jane at tempe.. and was told they cant do allignment coz the car is too low!

???????????/

he goes i need a place that has like a flat surface that i drive up on instead of those normal 1's..

WTF hahahaha, Mine is as low as poo and I was able to get mine on one of those no problems:)