PDA

View Full Version : engine pinging

Rednut
18-02-2006, 09:49 PM
evening all. my mk2 jetta had a rattle in the engine when reving at about 2000k. loosened the bolt under the distributor.. tapped it to the left about.. 3cms.. tighted the bolt.. NO RATTLE! :)

just need to get the central locking working again and i'll be a completely happy chappy.

syncro
19-02-2006, 06:02 AM
What fuel are you using?

Golf Loon
19-02-2006, 08:12 AM
evening all. my mk2 jetta had a rattle in the engine when reving at about 2000k. loosened the bolt under the distributor.. tapped it to the left about.. 3cms.. tighted the bolt.. NO RATTLE! :)

Good skills mate. Does it run ok now?

just need to get the central locking working again and i'll be a completely happy chappy.

Did it work until your girl pushed the button down from inside? If so its prob something jammed in that door. Take the trim off and check the mechanism.

I`ve got the same prob in my Ibiza. If I cant fix it, I`m getting an aftermarket kit.

Rednut
19-02-2006, 04:51 PM
not sure waht fuel yet.. my bro put premium in it when he had it.. im at empty now.. i was gonna start with the dreaded normal unleaded.. and then check the difference with the 8000 octane or whatever it is

loon, goes slightly harder :D. The locking pretty much stopped at the same time.. altho we both vacuumed the car that day.. so we may have hit some wires under the dash. i also discovered a very corroded wire under there as below.. its nasty.. no idea what it is?? also..
how?! theres nothing around for it to do that.

http://xs68.xs.to/pics/06070/ouchie_wire.jpg (http://xs.to)

i took the tro, off and found the central locking doodad.. theres 2 or 3 wires coming out of the blue mechanism thing with a big black cable insulator coving them. i traced the cable to the back of the fuse box and lost it behind there.. theres no way im taking that off.. ive come to the conclusion that theres no power getting to the mechanism.. so it may be that corroded wire?? the metal hooks are all in place cause i can pull the lock up from the top and it pulls from the mechanism aswell. guess i'll have to wait to get it checked when i get it serviced. that was actually quite fun! i learned how to take a door off.. weeee :D

anyone local know of the vw dealer in teralba? ben somebody? apparently hes much more thorough than perry in waratah.. i think id rather pay the extra..
opinions please!

Golf Loon
19-02-2006, 06:42 PM
That wire looks nasty. At least wrap it in insualation tape. Or cut it out and replace the damaged section.

Glad you had fun with the door. I dont think it will be a power thing for the c/l, as its basically a vacuum system. Dunno where the booster is for that system, it might be under the back seat, black box with a couple of wires and a vacuum hose going to it.

Dont put ****e 91octane petrol in her, premium or ultimate is the only way to go. Aussie normal unleaded is far inferior to the octane content the engine was designed for.

Glad it goes better and harder, must be alarming now, it was fast before :shock: :twisted:

imported_brackie
19-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Looks cooked to me! Check your fuses and all of the wiring in and out of the fusebox with a multimeter. I reckon you must have pinched or shorted out a wire while you were cleaning/working on the car. Hence the c/l is inoperative.

Rednut
19-02-2006, 08:19 PM
That wire looks nasty. At least wrap it in insualation tape. Or cut it out and replace the damaged section.

(no way im cutting wires.. im suprised i got the trim off..and back on in one piece. ive just been advised that the mrs' dad has a day off tomorrow and is taking it to the family friend that does rally cars up)
----------------------------------
Glad you had fun with the door. I dont think it will be a power thing for the c/l, as its basically a vacuum system. Dunno where the booster is for that system, it might be under the back seat, black box with a couple of wires and a vacuum hose going to it.

i'll look for it tomorrow when i have light (dont have the pleasure of a garage nor a bigger light than on my mobile phone.. lol (altho it lights up a room..{not the display light})
---------------------------------------
Dont put ****e 91octane petrol in her, premium or ultimate is the only way to go. Aussie normal unleaded is far inferior to the octane content the engine was designed for.

is ultimate from bp? cause thats probably what i meant to say.. (ive never had to buy petrol..nor taken much notice of it..besides leaded and unleaded)
hehe to be honest.. they only thing i do at servos is smell.. must be something in the vb that makes people do weird things like that..
----------------------
Glad it goes better and harder, must be alarming now, it was fast before :shock: :twisted:

i havent driven it myself so i cant tell..but my mate that fixed it said its noticably better.. {he has a freakishly fast beetle to compare it too tho..so it may be alot better 8) }

syncro
20-02-2006, 01:18 PM
It was probably pinging due to poor fuel.

You should reset the timing with a timing light and use 98.

Retarding the timing is bad.

Rednut
20-02-2006, 08:01 PM
premium sydney fuel must be the poor fuel.. cause my bro said he filled it with premium before he drove it up to me..

timing light? vw repairs would have one of theses?

Golf Loon
20-02-2006, 08:25 PM
timing light? vw repairs would have one of theses?

At risk of sounding like a hacker, timing an old carby engine is not always the best way. If it sounds right and runs right, it is right :wink:

worm
04-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Just found this old topic... save me starting a new one

What fuel would u reccomend I use (1.8 8v)? I put in regular unleaded and it seems to ping sometimes... premium maybe?

ausgolfer
04-05-2006, 06:00 PM
I've always used optimax or ultima or an equivalent in any VW I've owned. And my Gti still pings sometimes in hot weather and a few people in the car.

syncro
04-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Just found this old topic... save me starting a new one

What fuel would u reccomend I use (1.8 8v)? I put in regular unleaded and it seems to ping sometimes... premium maybe?

Golf Loon
05-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Yeah 98.

It costs more, but you go further and its better for your engine.

mollins
05-05-2006, 06:35 PM
agreed... 1.8 8v's have quite high compression ratios so i always run premium... minimizes pre-ignition/pinging

WABIT
05-05-2006, 06:43 PM
go the premium... always.. normal is shizaaaaa!!!!!

wabit

worm
05-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Awsome, im putin a tank in next fill up.. cant wait to see the difference :twisted:

Bug_racer
05-05-2006, 06:57 PM
I dont recomend caltex premium , seems to ping on my lower powered cars . My more powerful cars get fed 98 BP Shell or Mobil .

aliasmk2
05-05-2006, 10:22 PM
i had some problerms with my central locking, it just did'nt work one day. it turned out to be a very simple problerm that was caused by corosion on the wire terminals at he pump which is situated next to the passenger side rear tail light in a foam casing.
turned out to be a very simple problerm, the kind i like, ya do get them sometimes, i hope it is easy as that for you

Golfwise
05-05-2006, 10:44 PM
I dont recomend caltex premium , seems to ping on my lower powered cars . My more powerful cars get fed 98 BP Shell or Mobil .
Imagine the trouble we have in Tas we can't buy 98 at the pump and I'm told Vortex is the best of a bad bumch over here. :cry:

Bug_racer
05-05-2006, 11:42 PM
If you cant buy 98 then I wouldnt be trying to gain much from the engine . If you decide to run 95 + octane boost be prepared to change plugs more often . If you need 98 use toulene to suppress pinging and run 95

glf-mk1
06-05-2006, 09:30 AM
im just wondering has anyone tryed the 100 octain that shell has?? is it any better than 98??

Bug_racer
06-05-2006, 10:06 AM
no point . Late cars you cant change ignition timing to benefit from extra octane , stick to 98