PDA

View Full Version : T4 Fuse Box Layout

DOUBLECAB
20-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi..have a 98 mod t4 doublecab that came with no owners manual and accordingly I don't know which fuse does what.

Can anybody post a layout or email me the layout please.

My prob is that my auto electrician tells me that the ignition/key switch does not have a accessory connection for the radio so I have to leave my ignition switched on to listen to the radio when I am parked/stationary.

Currently we the radio wired direct to power and switch it off/on with the button on the radio and the memory wired seperately direct...........however when one switches the radio of it still leaves the radio front panel lights on and as I only use the vehicle every 2-3 weeks the battery is ussually drained to the point where it wont kick over.

What I am hoping is that there is a accessory fuse point that one can hook into.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp please.

phaeton
20-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Welcome to VWwA DOUBLECAB j:
Someone will help you soon we have a number of T4 Owners here ;)

I would love to see pics of the Doka (Double Cab) use our gallery here http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/vbpicgallery.php? ;)

Good Luck :D

syncro
20-06-2007, 05:58 PM
There is no accessory position on the T4.
You need special stereos that work direct from battery power or a seperate switch.

Golf Loon
20-06-2007, 06:34 PM
There are a few unused relay points on the T4 fusebox.
What I did was test all of these till i found one with ignition switched power and then put a jumper into there and ran a wire up to the stereo.
I drove my T4 for a year with the stock radio and then put in this system and a CD player and damn its great.

DOUBLECAB
20-06-2007, 07:04 PM
There are a few unused relay points on the T4 fusebox.
What I did was test all of these till i found one with ignition switched power and then put a jumper into there and ran a wire up to the stereo.
I drove my T4 for a year with the stock radio and then put in this system and a CD player and damn its great.

Hi Golf Loon..........been a while since we last spoke.

Tell me does your ignition have to be switched on for U to run your radio, because this is what I am trying to overcome?

Regards.........doublecab.

Golf Loon
20-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Its been a while doublecab, hope all is well.

When I got the van with stock stereo it worked all the time even with the ignition off. The lamps had gone in the unit, so I kept turning it down and inadvertantly leaving it on overnight.

Now with the CD player I have it needs one constant power wire, for memory etc which I connected to the factory wire.

It also needs a switched ignition wire which I took from a relay socket.

Thus when I turn off the ignition, radio turns off and when I turn it on, it restarts but remembers its settings.

If you wanted it to just be completely dead when van is turned off, you could simply wire up the second wire as the main power and that would be that.

Hope that helps.

PS On the back of the removeable pocket that you remove to get at the fusebox is a diagram showing what each fuse does. ;)

DOUBLECAB
20-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Its been a while doublecab, hope all is well.

When I got the van with stock stereo it worked all the time even with the ignition off. The lamps had gone in the unit, so I kept turning it down and inadvertantly leaving it on overnight.

Now with the CD player I have it needs one constant power wire, for memory etc which I connected to the factory wire.

It also needs a switched ignition wire which I took from a relay socket.

Thus when I turn off the ignition, radio turns off and when I turn it on, it restarts but remembers its settings.

If you wanted it to just be completely dead when van is turned off, you could simply wire up the second wire as the main power and that would be that.

Hope that helps.

PS On the back of the removeable pocket that you remove to get at the fusebox is a diagram showing what each fuse does. ;)

Hi again........................with that wiring set up can U switch on your radio without turning on your ignition?

Regards.........doublecab

Seano
21-06-2007, 09:45 AM
I've got a Blaupunkt head unit in my '01 build DOKA. I put it in after not being thrilled with the stock Eurovox cassette player.

The harness had the main power and ignition power in it. However, the software inside the head unit allows it to be turned on without having the ignition on and I'm fairly sure that it switches off automatically after a couple of hours. Plus the ignition switch allows the power to keep going after you switch the car off as long as the key remains in the ignition.....and typically it's this function that dies first if the ignition switch is faulty.

DOUBLECAB
21-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi again........................with that wiring set up can U switch on your radio without turning on your ignition?

Regards.........doublecab

Hi Golf Loon..........U must have a different model than mine because there is no fuse diagram on the back of the pocket in mine. :-(

regards......doublecab

Golf Loon
22-06-2007, 08:42 AM

No. It switches off with the ignition switch.

majimbo
19-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Hey Double Cab, not sure if you've figured it out yet, but just in case you havent i have a 96 T4 which i imagine would be quite similar to yours. Anyways, when u connect your deck, be sure to attach the Yellow wire from the car to the live wire on ur deck instead of the Red one or both, this should solve ur problems and allow you to turn on ur deck without the car running or with the key turned. The only thing is that to turn it on initially you will have to turn the key slightly just so much that the lights on the dash turn on but not so much that the engine turns over. Once this is done, the deck should remain on even when the key is turned off completely - and still in the ignition as removing it from the barrel will cut power from the deck immediately thus eliminating the problem of draining your battery from leaving it on overnight and it will allow the deck power to keep it settings or memory even when the key is removed. Hope this helps, laters

Zanza
19-06-2008, 04:25 PM
My stereo was already installed by the previous owner (It's a Blaupunkt), but it has been done professionally with regular connectors and not badly with some wire jumpers or stuff like that....

As long as the key is still in the ignition switch, the music goes, but as soon as you remove the key from the barrel, music stops. Like some other have already explained.

BUT, if you just release the anthi-theft feature (removing the stereo dashboard unit) and you plug it in back, the music will then restarts, even without the key in the ignition switch.

You then only need not to fall asleep with the music, but it's cool to hear music, parked in a camping spot, without leaving the key in the ignition switch

rob64981
19-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Hope this helps you guys...
The layout is on the later models fuse box lid.

Rob

1, low beam left
2, " " right
3, number plate light
4, rear wiper/washer
5, windscreen wipers/washer
6, blower
7, tail & side lights right
8, " " " left
9, empty
10, fog lights
11, high beam left,