PDA

View Full Version : estimated 1/4 mile time for VF stage 2 VR6 Bora

Dyldo
29-08-2011, 10:21 PM
hey guys

Can anyone give me a guess (to help with my expectations) as to what a Bora VR6 VF Stage 2 running around 8psi would get on the 1/4?

Most figures for the kind of stage 2 i think i'll be running appear to show a 350hp Bora with AWIC and water/meth, uprated FPR and pump and injector set. As my clutch is dead i am also assuming some sort of stage 2/3 clutch solution closely matched to the expected hp as i don't want to overdo or underdo the clutch but want it just right.

I've run it on some simulators and they're calling low 12s, and tbh i reckon thats wrong. I reckon its slower as she is a heavy beast.

I've assumed street trim and street tyres/rims but as hard a launch as possible with not too much mechanical sympathy for the best ET.

Dyldo
29-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Look passed the bickering, and there is some pretty interesting stuff here:-
Fourtitude.com - VF Stage 2 24v VR6 (http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?3993686-VF-Stage-2-24v-VR6)

whiteVR6
30-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Mid 13s@105 mph

Dyldo
30-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Mid 13s@105 mph

really? i very much wanted to be in the 12s.....

vwthunder
30-08-2011, 03:17 PM
really? i very much wanted to be in the 12s.....

Turbo it GT35 :banana:

Dyldo
30-08-2011, 07:28 PM
yeah, i hear you, but (and forgive me for saying this everyone) but a VRT is a bit of a yawn. I mean, not to drive, of course not. a VRT is a weapon in anyone's language. just i wanted something a bit different.

schoona
30-08-2011, 07:33 PM
I really don't know how to qualify all this.

An MPS 3 with basic mods (tune, TBE, FMIC etc) can run a mid 12 as a FWD. I know one that did a 12.6 with ~190fwkw (female driver though :P )

A standard Mk4 R32 is meant to do a 14.0 flat.

A mates old rex 2.5 he reckons could do a 12.8 with just a tune and TBE.

APR stage 1 Golf R's do 11s.

Just saying, so many variables and different types of cars and mods and drivers.

I'd also hope to crack a 12 with that setup to be honest though.

GL.

Hear you on being different. But how many VRT's do we have in Australia, it's not like OS!

Dyldo
30-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Mazdas are mazdas - don't care for them :) If I wanted a 1/4 weapon i'd get a F6 and be done with it. Horrible cars though, taxis basically.

its just the 1/4 and 0-100 for me are the good benchmarks for how your car goes. Although tbh, we all know its how the power is delivered and torque curves that really tell the driving story.

I used to run a 2003 WRX wagon with basics, and ran 13.7 cause i was scared of shredding the gbox.

Gotta pull you up on the Golf R though - stage 2+ guys aren't even cracking real low 12s yet let alone 11s.

And the REAL story (as with everything and everyone) is money. I simply don't have the $25-$30K anymore that i had originally planned for what i had cooked up to be a massive powaaa VRT done properly. Then guys like Pedro and Rob beat me to it - and good luck guys, i reckon your work is awesome.

I read some awesome tales of the "freight-train pulling" power of the VR6 with a well-sorted SC. There are two chargers in Melb and one of them (Tony Carabot) has a freak of a car - still haven't been in it though.

So its really just a combo of money and circumstance now that sees me eyeing off the SC and dreaming of it.

zbeasty
30-08-2011, 07:51 PM
How much does it weigh? My R with 200+kw at the wheels weighs 1540kg plus driver and does 12.5. Admittedly I have the advantage of DSG but if you are prepared to launch well you should be able to see a 12.X.

schoona
30-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Just saying, you see a modded MPS like that often enough and see how it goes, then think "will my VR S/C bora be behind, next to or in front of that".

I was being a smartarse with the Golf R, dw lol.

FWIW, I have driven 3 Mk4 R32s. The first one was VF Stg 2. FMIC, VF cams. VF tune. Originally from Perth, Lucas @ Eurospeed shipped the parts over. Car is now in Sydney with a very nice owner and looked after by Arthur at Exoticars. The owner is in the registry. The second is the one I bought which is NA (milltek full exhaust, CAI and APR tune) and the third is a mates around here (milltekt full exhaust, CAI and GIAC tune). I'd hope both of us could manage a mid to low 13.

The S/C pulled 196 awkw on the same day i pulled 148 awkw NA. Can't tell you the difference in torque. I had a nice drive it, maybe a bit of excitement got in the way haha, but sounded pretty good (even though its a whistle not a whine :( ), and did certainly pull very well in each gear.

For the extra cost + reliability questions, IMO I would like to go further. If it's going to need more servicing or has potential for breaking things, when its not broken I want more from it. There were a few things I didn't like either (if you blow a front globe you need to take the whole front bar off to get the light out and change the globe etc).

Yes I know it's the 3.2, but it is 24V. just scale it back a bit. Hope that helps.

(Not discrediting your car either Alastair, it's awesome on the street!)

schoona
30-08-2011, 07:57 PM
How much does it weigh? My R with 200+kw at the wheels weighs 1540kg plus driver and does 12.5. Admittedly I have the advantage of DSG but if you are prepared to launch well you should be able to see a 12.X.

I'm quoted at 1460kg for Mk4 R32.
There's more "****" in the R, but the Bora has more doors, not sure which is heavier Michael :S

Dyldo
30-08-2011, 07:58 PM

Yeah, I'm ferret's mate and i will grab the weight and power stats now. I think from memory it was 1420kgs or some such, and power is supposed to be 350hp on my planned mods.

all i can say mate is that your recode tune must be one helluva tune.

schoona
30-08-2011, 08:02 PM
'03 = 1457kg

Volkswagen Bora Car Info - Car Research - carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au/car-research/details.aspx?__Qpb=1&__Nne=15&Cr=0&R=107279&__Ns=p_Year_String%7C1%7C%7Cp_Make_String%7C0%7C%7 Cp_Family_String%7C0&keywords=&__N=2994+4294939368+4294842694+4294914337&silo=1305&seot=1&trecs=4&__sid=13129DD0EA1A)

'04 R32 = 1477kg

Volkswagen Bora Car Info - Car Research - carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au/car-research/details.aspx?__Qpb=1&__Nne=15&Cr=0&R=107279&__Ns=p_Year_String%7C1%7C%7Cp_Make_String%7C0%7C%7 Cp_Family_String%7C0&keywords=&__N=2994+4294939368+4294842694+4294914337&silo=1305&seot=1&trecs=4&__sid=13129DD0EA1A)

zbeasty
30-08-2011, 08:08 PM
350hp at the crank should be about 200kw at the wheels. If the Bora is about 120kg less than the R then I would say it should get into the 12s despite being manual.

I believe that there are a few more R's going to be rockin the Recode tune soon so will make life interesting in the 1/4 stats. I've got some more mods planned so my times should drop further fairly soon.

You going to the dyno day this weekend? I know Rob won't be there with the impending addition.

Dyldo
30-08-2011, 08:19 PM
FWIW, I have driven 3 Mk4 R32s. The first one was VF Stg 2. FMIC, VF cams. VF tune. Originally from Perth, Lucas @ Eurospeed shipped the parts over. Car is now in Sydney with a very nice owner and looked after by Arthur at Exoticars. The owner is in the registry.
Arthur is a TOP bloke and i will be chasing this member down for sure. Definitely want to do a bit more research so i know what my bum is getting into.

I'm quoted at 1460kg for Mk4 R32.
There's more "****" in the R, but the Bora has more doors, not sure which is heavier Michael :S

I am thinking of ripping out front and rear seats and running with two light race seats and rear seat delete. Should save some weight. Remember though this is my daily so i'm not going full track gut.

350hp at the crank should be about 200kw at the wheels. If the Bora is about 120kg less than the R then I would say it should get into the 12s despite being manual.

I believe that there are a few more R's going to be rockin the Recode tune soon so will make life interesting in the 1/4 stats. I've got some more mods planned so my times should drop further fairly soon.

You going to the dyno day this weekend? I know Rob won't be there with the impending addition.
Mate can't make the dyno day cause my clutch slave cylinder is shot so car no worky. Rob's little addition has already been added mate - a few days ago. All is good on that front.

Bug_racer
30-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Dragans R is the fastest MK4 that I know of in Aus and he ran a 14.09 . James's best past was only 14.4 or so .
The supercharged MK4 R in Melbourne ran a 13.7 . Unless someone can update these times these are the fastest ones I know about .
The race car is yet to run , but I can assure you with a good driver 12s are possible .

Dyldo
30-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Dragans R is the fastest MK4 that I know of in Aus and he ran a 14.09 . James's best past was only 14.4 or so .
The supercharged MK4 R in Melbourne ran a 13.7 . Unless someone can update these times these are the fastest ones I know about .
The race car is yet to run , but I can assure you with a good driver 12s are possible .

so, you mean to say Dragan's is a NA R? i guess folks are going to be pedantic and want absolute clarity about the cars, terms and mods we describe. I know i would.

The Melb SC Bora I know (well, there are two - vwsport and tony carabot) haven't hit the 1/4 mile yet. These high 13s don't seem right to me.

whats the race car?

schoona
30-08-2011, 08:34 PM
whats the race car?

Australian GT Production race car (think that's the category). It's even WHITE (I think!)

Dyldo
30-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Australian GT Production race car (think that's the category). It's even WHITE (I think!)
Nup, me still confused. I'm a simple creature :)

Lucas @ Eurospeed is going to fit my charger and do all of the work for me. As my car is dead now anyway, i'll be shipping it as is to him and he can take his time fitting the charger, clutch, and everything else. While he is tinkering, the ECU comes out and gets shipped to C2 for the tune (perhaps multiple fuel maps?).

In my quest for usable streetable safe power, what else should i be going for?
Currrently I am seeking a car in the mid 12s and to get there i am not wanting to crack open the engine for forged stuff (forged isn't always better, especially for the street). For safety I am fitting a AWIC and a water/meth system and hoping the C2 guys can take care of the rest. I believe my injectors are very much uprated, and so fueling won't be an issue i believe.

schoona
30-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Nup, me still confused. I'm a simple creature :)

Lucas @ Eurospeed is going to fit my charger and do all of the work for me. As my car is dead now anyway, i'll be shipping it as is to him and he can take his time fitting the charger, clutch, and everything else. While he is tinkering, the ECU comes out and gets shipped to C2 for the tune (perhaps multiple fuel maps?).

In my quest for usable streetable safe power, what else should i be going for?
Currrently I am seeking a car in the mid 12s and to get there i am not wanting to crack open the engine for forged stuff (forged isn't always better, especially for the street). For safety I am fitting a AWIC and a water/meth system and hoping the C2 guys can take care of the rest. I believe my injectors are very much uprated, and so fueling won't be an issue i believe.

2004 Australian GT Performance Car Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Australian_GT_Performance_Car_Championship)

Lucas would know, same with Seb. Least they have experience not what I'd regurgitate from reading and listening. Haha
Shouldn't need forged with an S/C. Head spacer to decrompress a little, the tune should be good from C2. It's their bread and butter.

Dyldo
30-08-2011, 09:17 PM
I know its just a web-based calculator but I went here - 1/4 mile ET / HP / MPH Visual Calc (http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/1-4-mile-ET-HP-MPH-calculator)

and got a 12.27 @ 111mph trap over the 1/4

Values I used were 350hp at the fly and weighing 3300lbs

schoona
30-08-2011, 09:21 PM
You qualified it, but given the amount of ****fighting dyno's can cause (location, type, operator, days conditions, tyre type, tyre pressure) and given the R&D that goes into them, don't hang too much on an internet calculator. :)

Wiki (most reliable resource on the internet) call 14.1 @ 99 for a standard R32 (US but close enough). James with all his work and 176awkw NA runs a 14.4 ?

Not entirely sure of Dragan's setup Seb? His was black wasn't it?