PDA

View Full Version : Rattles or squeaks in your new Superb?

VAG newbie
15-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Recently just read the threads in Passat, I'm glad I didn't go ahead with Passat but changed to Superb. Many users there, many of them only had the B7 Passat for a month or less, have already complained about the rattles and squeaks in their brand new Passat! What's worse is VW warranty only covers rattles up to 1500km. After that, you are on your own! And I thought the B7 was a lot better screwed together than the B6 during test drive!

Just wonder, for those of you who already own a Superb, wagon and sedan, including those who recently took delivery, does Superb rattle and squeaks like the Passat? or are they as refined as Lexus?

I'm still waiting for mine to come in January...

anthony
15-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Not sure about Skodas,but rattles and squeeks seem to be the plague of all new VWs these days....

woofy
15-08-2011, 04:18 PM
When Skoda was first launched, it was one of the things that caused me to look at the RS Octy over the GTi golf as a lot of Golf owners were complaining about rattles. Apart from the new FL seeming to get a common noise in an airvent, my pre FL is silent and before the aforementioned issue, mostly I think the people on Briskoda said that same years ago.

It always made me think why the same company can see so much variance but part of it seems to be Sth Africa/Mexico vs German built. You'd think the Passats should be better!

Transporter
15-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Not sure about Skodas,but rattles and squeeks seem to be the plague of all new VWs these days....

What rattles?
We don't have any. :?

anthony
15-08-2011, 04:43 PM
What rattles?

You are lucky...:banana:

VAG newbie
15-08-2011, 09:53 PM
When Skoda was first launched, it was one of the things that caused me to look at the RS Octy over the GTi golf as a lot of Golf owners were complaining about rattles. Apart from the new FL seeming to get a common noise in an airvent, my pre FL is silent and before the aforementioned issue, mostly I think the people on Briskoda said that same years ago.

It always made me think why the same company can see so much variance but part of it seems to be Sth Africa/Mexico vs German built. You'd think the Passats should be better!

That's what I thought of the Passat too. But it's not true. Passats seem to be one of the worst. My theory is, in Germany there are already lots of top car makers, Maybach, Porche, MB, BMW, and even among the VAG, Audi. So all the best workers would have been recruited to these companies. You can't expect every German to be all perfect. There will be lousy Germans amongst the population. So VW, being the bottom of these car makers, can only recruit the left over workers.

Skoda is the only car maker in Czeck Republic. I was told once that Czechs are as good as the German in their exactness. Their plumber will show up at exactly 2:00pm if that is the time they told you. (As compare to our OZ plumbrs, how many of them turn up on time? Or how many actually turn up? Hence the quality of our Holden and Ford....) So all the best Czech workers go to Skoda, and hence the best quality car that rivals the best of the Germans.....

Even amongst the Japanese. All the best people within Toyota go to Lexus. The worst go to Daihatsu. The quality shows. Even though both Lexus and Daihatsu belongs to the Toyota empire.

hooba
15-08-2011, 09:58 PM
What rattles?

+1
No rattles in either the Mk5 tractor or the MK6 GTI.

BlackSuperb
15-08-2011, 11:55 PM
2 years and 60,000klm and no squeaks or rattles.

CanberravRS
16-08-2011, 08:10 AM
16548klm 9 months old.. Only squeak is from leaving something not tied down in that cavernous boot space. Only noise I take issue with is the squeaky cv boots that skoda aus seem unable to resolve.
Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

brad
16-08-2011, 08:38 AM
You realise that most of the folks on the German production lines are gastarbeiter - guest workers? Turks, Russians, Poles, etc. They don't get paid a lot either (but they get more than if tey were back home).

A lot of low quality kwap gets/got made in Germany - so many of their industries have disapeared because they couldn't keep up.

That's what I thought of the Passat too. But it's not true. Passats seem to be one of the worst. My theory is, in Germany there are already lots of top car makers, Maybach, Porche, MB, BMW, and even among the VAG, Audi. So all the best workers would have been recruited to these companies. You can't expect every German to be all perfect. There will be lousy Germans amongst the population. So VW, being the bottom of these car makers, can only recruit the left over workers.

Skoda is the only car maker in Czeck Republic. I was told once that Czechs are as good as the German in their exactness. Their plumber will show up at exactly 2:00pm if that is the time they told you. (As compare to our OZ plumbrs, how many of them turn up on time? Or how many actually turn up? Hence the quality of our Holden and Ford....) So all the best Czech workers go to Skoda, and hence the best quality car that rivals the best of the Germans.....

Even amongst the Japanese. All the best people within Toyota go to Lexus. The worst go to Daihatsu. The quality shows. Even though both Lexus and Daihatsu belongs to the Toyota empire.

Transporter
16-08-2011, 09:26 AM
You realise that most of the folks on the German production lines are gastarbeiter - guest workers? Turks, Russians, Poles, etc. They don't get paid a lot either (but they get more than if tey were back home).

I second that. It's been that for decades.

brad
16-08-2011, 09:58 AM
I second that. It's been that for decades.

As my German MIL told me: "Germans are too good to do all the crap jobs like cleaning toilets, collecting garbage or labouring." and of course, she tells me the gastarbeiter are the source of all criminal activity, take everyones jobs, have too many babies, are dirty, ignorant, send all their money out of Germany, live like pigs & are the whipping boy for every other problem in Germany.

Sheesh. They want it all.

VAG newbie
18-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Well, that would still explain the better built quality on the Skoda's. In fact, Skoda is better than Audi, BMW and MB, isn't it? Also I read another article the other day, Skoda workers are paid 33% better than the average income in Czech republic. So they must have all the best Czech workers in the factory!

I feel more reassured buying the Superb. Just can't wait till January!!

theduckster
21-08-2011, 11:16 AM
2512kms and 1 month old and no squeaks and rattles to be heard. The only rattle I hear is from the BMW thermos mugs that I purchased as there doesn't seem to be any Skoda ones available lol. Well at least they fit the front cup holders.

SkodaK
24-08-2011, 04:13 PM
After 6 months and 20,000 km no rattles here either. That distance includes forays from Melbourne into the dirt roads of central Qld and the potholed roads of S.A. Should also mention that tyres and brakes are showing negligible wear at this stage.

Elektron
14-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Bummer, sorry for breaking the clean record :(

~500 kms clocked up and have an intermittently noisy seat belt buckle on the driver's seat. Getting it replaced under warranty. Otherwise, all good so far.

PassatB6
14-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Bummer, sorry for breaking the clean record :(

~500 kms clocked up and have an intermittently noisy seat belt buckle on the driver's seat. Getting it replaced under warranty. Otherwise, all good so far.

LOL an 'intermittently noisy seat belt buckle' is the worst we can do here then I think it can be safely sad there is no problem with squeaks and rattles.

BTW After having been to the VW factory I would say that most of the assembly is done by robot. Theres even a robot which grabs the correct spare tyre and puts it in the boot. The workers I saw were standing around in groups doing sweet bugger all. Nor did they look particularly interested. I would rather have my car put together in Czech republic any day. I think they're building the UP! in the Skoda factory so we'll see if its the brand or the workers which is not up to scratch.

BlackSuperb
14-11-2012, 04:05 PM
I had a rattle in the dash to the right of the steering wheel for a couple of weeks when new. The rattle went away when I removed my coins from the coin draw thingy.

Elektron
14-11-2012, 05:34 PM
LOL an 'intermittently noisy seat belt buckle' is the worst we can do here then I think it can be safely sad there is no problem with squeaks and rattles.

True :) but that noise was still super annoying on our first trip outside the city nonetheless.

BTW After having been to the VW factory I would say that most of the assembly is done by robot. Theres even a robot which grabs the correct spare tyre and puts it in the boot. The workers I saw were standing around in groups doing sweet bugger all. Nor did they look particularly interested. I would rather have my car put together in Czech republic any day. I think they're building the UP! in the Skoda factory so we'll see if its the brand or the workers which is not up to scratch.

I believe one of the posts here has a video of the Superb II being built, I'm afraid it too is build by an army of robots though the choreography is amazing to watch.

Anyway, happy with the purchase so far :)

Lindsay
14-11-2012, 06:25 PM
I've just clicked over 140,000km in the Passat and I have just the one rattle under the steering column. It's not a very loud one though, and I find it dissapears if I turn the stereo up :P

Shakey
14-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Recently just read the threads in Passat, I'm glad I didn't go ahead with Passat but changed to Superb. Many users there, many of them only had the B7 Passat for a month or less, have already complained about the rattles and squeaks in their brand new Passat! What's worse is VW warranty only covers rattles up to 1500km. After that, you are on your own! And I thought the B7 was a lot better screwed together than the B6 during test drive!

Just wonder, for those of you who already own a Superb, wagon and sedan, including those who recently took delivery, does Superb rattle and squeaks like the Passat? or are they as refined as Lexus?

I'm still waiting for mine to come in January...

No squeaks or rattles. 1.250 Kilometes and one week old. Love the car. Exceptional build quality. Just wished more accessories were available!:mad:

Gunna
11-12-2012, 09:55 PM
2009 125 TDI now has 69800kms and it has had rattling door speakers since I bought it at 11800kms.
Dash has had intermittent squeaks the whole time.
However it is a darn good car!

Spoddy
25-10-2013, 09:40 PM
MY2013 103 TDI 4x4 Elegance Wagon - 9000km in 7 weeks and the dash creaks above the nav unit.
It started with a loud crack, then a noise like a nut rolling around. Now the dash just creaks but I have noticed recently that as the climate control does its thing there is a noise like a sticky vent or valve with a "crack" noise. Its not like the Mk5 golf "tap, tap, tap" noise associated with the climate control just a single "crack" noise every couple of minutes.
I'm trying to get it booked in for warranty but was wondering how common this is.

Thankful for any advice.

Twin_Dad
31-10-2013, 09:12 AM
I was suspicious as to why someone would sell a car with such low km on it, now I know why. Mine has more rattles than a jar full of marbles and an engine that sounds like a diesel tractor. I want to love this car so much more but I actually avoid driving it. To their credit VW service here did manage to subdue (not eradicate) a rattle from the fuel line but the squeaks, rattles and thunks are driving me up the wall.