PDA

View Full Version : Martini racing brake fluid service life?

Coralon
12-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Working on sorting out all the service intervals for the car and going back over the build thread (have to love buying cars from forum members) it seems the brake fluid would be getting on to about 2.5 years old. Normally this should be changed about every 2 years regardless of distance due to degredation of the fluid over time but Martini say this fluid has an extra long service life.

Does anyone know how long this 'extra long' period may be or should I just do a system flush regardless? And does anyone know where to get this fluid as I cant find it online anywhere or should I just change to something easily available such as motul from ecs while I order some red stuff pads?

fred27
12-08-2011, 04:08 PM
As brake fluid is hygroscopic and you're not sure how long it's been in, better to renew.
I do track work and have used motul rbf600, very good performance given it's price.
Another excellent product is castrol srf, this is a bit more expensive and this is what I'm using now.

Jmac
12-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Working on sorting out all the service intervals for the car and going back over the build thread (have to love buying cars from forum members) it seems the brake fluid would be getting on to about 2.5 years old. Normally this should be changed about every 2 years regardless of distance due to degredation of the fluid over time but Martini say this fluid has an extra long service life.

Does anyone know how long this 'extra long' period may be or should I just do a system flush regardless? And does anyone know where to get this fluid as I cant find it online anywhere or should I just change to something easily available such as motul from ecs while I order some red stuff pads?
I did the Martini in this car, martini will go off around 12 mnths, ive tested this on many cars with my moisture tester. Most customers that ive done Martini fluid on have contacted me before the 12 mnths is up due to degrading pedal feel
Jmac

Coralon
13-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Reduced pedal feel is the symptom alright. Guess its a full flush on the system then!

Thanks for the info guys, now to find someone local to get some brembo discs.

brad
13-08-2011, 11:25 AM
If it helps any, I've found (via my mates that used RBF600 to get a decent pedal in their Subarus) that the RBF600 can't make 2 years as well. This seems to be a common "feature" of the high performance brake fluids.

Jmac
13-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Reduced pedal feel is the symptom alright. Guess its a full flush on the system then!

Thanks for the info guys, now to find someone local to get some brembo discs.
Call Greg at GSL Rallysport, best contact you will find for ANY type of brakes

Jmac

Coralon
13-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Yeah but an hour or 2 of half arsed work and $100 of fluid every 12 months is a very small price to pay for that nice hard pedal every time you hit it ;)

Thanks for the details Jimmy, am moving to Melbourne very soon but may pick up the brakes and do them before the drive down if I have time.