PDA

View Full Version : Winton Fun Day Sunday July 8th

morbo2000
17-06-2007, 01:18 AM
This was posted on the Skylines Australia forums (plus a few others) and i thought it might be of interest to people here.

Here is the original thread...

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=171467

Winton Motor Raceway Pty. Ltd. will be conducting the second Fun Day for 2007 on Sunday 8 July.

Cost: $25.00

8.15am Scrutineering

9.30am Driver/Passenger Briefing

10.00am Track Time Starts

5.00pm Track Time Finishes

Following scrutineering and briefing, the format of the day’s activities will commence with a 3 x 20 minute observation sessions for drivers to become familiar with the track and flow of activities. These sessions will be followed by a 30 minute session where passengers are allowed in the cars.

Following these sessions the structure of activities throughout the day will be 30 minute sessions for driver only, followed by driver and passenger sessions.

Please note: speed restrictions – all drivers are limited to 80% of the potential of both the car and driver – THIS IS NOT A RACE.

Special Saturday Test & Tune Day

Winton Motor Raceway will run a special Test and Tune (Open Practice) Day on 30th June. This will be the only opportunity to test on a weekend date this year. The Friday Test and Tune on 29th June is still scheduled so it will be an ideal opportunity for Interstate competitors to do a 2 day test session and make the most of the time available.

The cost of the day is $120 and participants must have either a AASA, CAMS or MA Licences. AASA licences can be purchased on the day for $50.

Enquiries can be directed to Winton Motor Raceway on (03) 5766 4235

Kind regards
Alisha Caldwell

Administration

Winton Motor Raceway

PH: (03) 5766 4235

FAX: (03) 5766 4249

and...

The next Winton Fun Day is scheduled for Sunday July 8th 2007.

The Fun Day is a "come and try" day and is designed to allow the average motorist access to a real race track under controlled conditions.

Cost:
Is $25 per driver and $25 per passenger

Programme:
Normally be there by 8.00 for scrutineering, but this can take some time.
Drivers Briefing at around 9.00 - 9.30
Driver only on track for 30 minutes sighting laps, then
Driver with passenger for 30 minutes, then
Driver only on track for 30 minutes, then
Driver with passenger for 30 minutes, then
Driver only on track for 30 minutes, and so on all day until about 4.30

Requirements:
Bring your car, an Australian Standard Approved helmet, the helmet can be either open or closed face, fire proof clothes that cover you from neck to ankle to wrist (cotton or wool clothes are good). Runners are not the preferred footwear, Blundstones boots (or similar) or any leather type shoe is preferable

Make sure your car has no oil/coolant leaks, fitted seat belts, battery is secure, wheels nuts are tights, no loose items in the car or boot.

The Car does not have to be registered, but has to road/race worthy. Tyres need to be in good nick, tread depth is not normally a problem unless wire is poking out.

There are normally no checks done of lights except for brake lights except if it is an overcast, rainy day, then there may be checks for lights as well as wipers.

Tow bar tongues and bull bars must be removed.

You do not need to have a race licence, club licence or indeed a car licence abut you must be over 16 to drive or be a passenger.

And very importantly, bring a smart, alert attitude, coz there is some very fast cars out there, whilst it is not a race meeting, some people bring race cars and we push them hard to behave appropriately around first timers.

Food and drinks are available through a canteen

rayray086
17-06-2007, 03:28 AM
Way cheap for a day out on the track! Exposure seems to be very widespread - would you expect a lot of cars on the day?

morbo2000
17-06-2007, 12:31 PM
There is a reply in the Skyline Aus forums post that says it will probably be pretty busy. This will be the first time i've been to the track (other than as a spectator) so I don't really know what to expect. Picked up my helmet yesterday :)

Given how cheap it is and that it's on a weekend I can't imagine it being quiet.

poloplayer
17-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Where can I get a good helmet in Melbourne?

Water Boy
18-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Be very careful mate and watch your mirrors... Iv been to a couple and had a look some guys think they are out there to get the lap record...

Make sure you have fun... :)

morbo2000
19-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Where can I get a good helmet in Melbourne?

A friend of mine who rides bikes suggested I go to Peter Stevens Motorcycles in the city as they have a large range of helmets there.

Having never bought a helmet before it was a bit intimidating walking in there and seeing this huge wall full of helmets but just ask one of the staff and i'm sure they'll help you out like they did for me. Its a good idea to get the salesman's help anyway as they'll fit you properly for it.

I got this one in gloss black for $230...
http://www.kbc-helmet.com/kbcbbs/zboard.php?id=street&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=27

Review...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motorcycle-products/kbc/

Both my friend and the salesman suggested getting a fiberglass one over plastic as plastic bounces (which isn't so much of an issue in a car) and plastic can catch fire.

In any case i'm happy, it looks cool, feels very comfortable, and since it's black i can call myself "The Black Stig" :D

awestonvp
19-06-2007, 06:37 PM
I've got a full face for the bike, but prefer open face for the car. Got one for about $70 at Peter Stevens in Ringwood, but most bike shops will have them.

Water Boy
19-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Revolution Racegear is great they really know there stuff... Helps us out with our gear... Speak to Eral he is a south african and used to race himself... Tell him the guy that races the Mk1 golf sent you and he'll sort you out...

Cheers :)

awestonvp
19-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Revolution Racegear is great they really know there stuff...

2nd that!

(and some filler to make the message long enough...)

WABIT
19-06-2007, 07:28 PM
my dads in the skylines aust club and me and him are gonna be going in our own cars lol

wabit

Water Boy
19-06-2007, 09:26 PM
2nd that!

(and some filler to make the message long enough...)

Sure are... They have been helping us out for years since when they were in there little shop up the road...

Suits, brain buckets, harnesses, bonnet pins you name they are great...

Back to the topic have fun guys at Winton and keep it rubber side down...

:)

WABIT
03-07-2007, 10:42 PM
im going...

wabit

awestonvp
04-07-2007, 05:31 AM
I'll be going...anyone want to meet somewhere?

99gti
04-07-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm up for it!!!! Already got a helmet so I'm good to go!!!

Where is a good place to meet?

awestonvp
04-07-2007, 05:36 PM
There's a service center (Shell I think) on Hume freeway (not hume highway...) just past the Craigieburn turnoff (past the coloured bridges).
We need to be there at 8am, so I figure we'd need to be on the Hume by about... 5.30am :( and stop at Benalla to top up fuel. (fuel at the track is around $1.75/ltr)

99gti
05-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Sounds ok to me..... Wabit, waterboy and anyone else - you all keen to meet up along the way?

WABIT
05-07-2007, 05:47 PM
perfect.. c use all there

wabit

Water Boy
07-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Sorry guys i wont be able to make it... Be careful guys and take it easy...

Make sure you take heaps of pics...

Most importantly have heaps of fun...

James :)

awestonvp
07-07-2007, 04:15 PM
forecast for that area is fine with possible light shower or two - I REALLY dont want it to be wet!

WABIT
07-07-2007, 11:09 PM
wabits out... got a defect sticker so i wont be going anywhere... sorry boys

wabit

morbo2000
08-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Here are some pics from the fun day.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/morbo1980/WintonTrackDayJuly2007

(When I said "some" I meant "lots", and this is after i'd filtered out a lot to get under the Picasa 500 image limit).

Big thanks to my mates who took the photos for me on my camera.

What a great day! Bit busy early on and a few clowns out there but that didn't detract from the experience. I learnt a lot, had heaps of fun, and my car made it home intact. The passenger sessions were also great, it gave me the opportunity to receive some coaching and I'd say a lot of people got to have some time on the track to experience the fun without having to do the driving themselves.

If anyone wasn't sure about going I say next time they have a fun day you should jump at the chance.

Now it's time for sleep...

awestonvp
10-07-2007, 05:57 AM
wabits out... got a defect sticker so i wont be going anywhere... sorry boys

wabit

Wabit, that's Very Bad News :( after all the work you've just done. Sure know how to spoil your fun dont they. Hope there's not too much you need to do to fix it.

best Al

awestonvp
10-07-2007, 06:18 AM
Lot of fun on the day, but boy was it crowded (check photos). Half the time was spent waiting for a run on the track, half spent avoiding idiots charging up the inside into corners, half spent in processions behind slow cars thru the twisty bits and half spent circulating behind the safety car when someone had left the black bits. But the rest of the time was a lot of fun! (hang on, let me add that up...) For the cost ($25 per head) its a cheap days entertainment. If moneys no object, a drive day with John Bowe Driving school is better, faster, safer and even more fun (about 20 cars at the track, compared to over 100 on Sunday!) plus you get some good coaching and a lot more track time, but costs around $400...
But a great day and definitely worth doing, as Waterboy said 'watch your mirrors'!

awestonvp
10-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Also thanks to MACCAA for the V700's - what a difference!!!! :)

Water Boy
10-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Lot of fun on the day, but boy was it crowded (check photos). Half the time was spent waiting for a run on the track, half spent avoiding idiots charging up the inside into corners, half spent in processions behind slow cars thru the twisty bits and half spent circulating behind the safety car when someone had left the black bits. But the rest of the time was a lot of fun! (hang on, let me add that up...) For the cost ($25 per head) its a cheap days entertainment. If moneys no object, a drive day with John Bowe Driving school is better, faster, safer and even more fun (about 20 cars at the track, compared to over 100 on Sunday!) plus you get some good coaching and a lot more track time, but costs around $400...
But a great day and definitely worth doing, as Waterboy said 'watch your mirrors'!

Most importantly you had fun...

Mate we got to organise to go to a Circuit Firmilisation at Phillip Isalnd... There is instructors if need be... All competitors get 4-5 20 minute sessions...

They are well worth it and i know Evorobin and Ausgolfer have both attended and had great days...

Look at www.piarc.com for the next Circuit Firmilisation Day...

WABIT
10-07-2007, 05:42 PM
just got the defect ticked off monday....

they picked me friday night.. on bald tyres (has a brand new set put on for the funday, sat morning) and numberplate light......... NO RIDE HEIGHT!!!!!! WTF?? THE THINGS UNDER 50MM LOW WTF

WABIT

Water Boy
10-07-2007, 09:51 PM
just got the defect ticked off monday....

they picked me friday night.. on bald tyres (has a brand new set put on for the funday, sat morning) and numberplate light......... NO RIDE HEIGHT!!!!!! WTF?? THE THINGS UNDER 50MM LOW WTF

WABIT

You are so lucky Wabit for not getting done about the height of your bunny...

Water Coled God's must have been on your side...