PDA

View Full Version : Skoda brand image

VAG newbie
04-08-2011, 03:19 PM
After I ordered my Superb, I have been asked many times by families, friends and colleagues "what car did you get?". When I told them Skoda, I had all kinds of weird facial expressions and comments:

"Why did you get a Skoda? Isn't that Russian?" Says one person.:facepalm:
"No it's not Russian. It's actually from Czechslovakia!" Says another:facepalm::facepalm:

When I took my parents for a test drive with the Superb. Before they saw the car, they thought I was getting a scooter (In Japanese, scooter is pronounces "sukuta", very similar to Skoda). When they sat in the car they reckon it was German. But as soon as I told them it's from Czech Republic, their reaction was "What, Communist country?":facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I have to give these people lots of history and geography lesson that Czech Republic is not Russia, there is no more Czechslovakia, Czech Republic is not a communist country now, and it is considered by world bank as a developed country in 2007!

Anyway, on odd occasions, I do have some knowledgeable people that knows Skodas are good cars, but is a bit afraid to commit to an unknown brand, and is just waiting to see my car with curiosity. Most of these people are from UK or Europe.

According to Matthew Wiesner, he reckons Skoda Aus has given Skoda enough exposures here to make the brand widely known. But from my experience, it is certainly not the case. Skoda Aus still has a lot of work to do. In Taiwan, the Swire group who imports Skodas, they use the slogan "German technology, Bohemian art, 100 years of craft" instead of "simply clever". It seen to work quite well as many people there have considered Skoda as a German car, and they've been selling more than 1000 cars there this year so far, yet the brand only came in 2009!

I am curious to know how everyone's experiences have been. Mainly positive or negative? How do all your friends, relatives and colleague react to you buying a skoda? How have they perceive the brand?

Jake02
04-08-2011, 04:16 PM
All my friends are car people, so they know that Skoda represents stunning value for money and fantastic cars that are built to a very high standard. For all the people who don't know, I just explain them as a Volkswagen that's actually European-made, with higher quality/practicality levels and a cheaper price. For most people, they really love the car and don't care who makes it and for me, unless it's a Hyundai, Kia, Great Wall, Renault or Chery, I totally agree.

I also agree that they're not doing enough to promote the brand. Yes I know that if they advertised everywhere it'd mean that more people will go onto lists of cars that take too long to arrive but they really have to get some balls because a lack of Skodas on the road is really pissing me off. Some people like the slow approach and that's fine, but I've experienced it for 3 and a bit years and I think that's long enough. Thank God the Yeti and Fabia arrive soon otherwise I really would start having doubts about the brand's longevity in Australia. I don't want them to be forever a Citroen or Peugeot in the Australian market, I want them to sell in big numbers and prove that you can have a European car for Japanese money.

I want sales, and brand image isn't much of a problem for me, it's the lack of advertising that annoys me.

Gti Dave
04-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah I agree with jake02. So far in the limited months I've had my Skoda, the responses of the majority of the people who talk to me or ask me about my car all agree that its incredible value for money (looks and brand aside). Sometimes, at the lights I get people staring up and down, side to side scratching their heads with a perplexed look on their faces giving away the question "what car is that?"

Skoda's doing fairly well I guess seeing that they are still anew brad. Recently noticed they are expanding their dealer network and just opened up their latest one in Bendigo last week.

dArK5HaD0w
04-08-2011, 09:38 PM
i usually get this quite often:-

them - "what car do u have?"
me - "an octavia"
them - "huh?"
me - "an octavia vrs...."
them - "wats that?"
me - "a skoda"
them - "huh"
me - "a skoda octavia"
them - "oh ok. wat is it like?"
me - "its basically a mix of vw & audi"
them - "ah....i see"

brad
05-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I am curious to know how everyone's experiences have been. Mainly positive or negative? How do all your friends, relatives and colleague react to you buying a skoda? How have they perceive the brand?
I bought mine 3 years back. Since then, my Sister & BIL decided to buy a VW EOS - not because i had a Skoda but based (partly) on the 1998 Golf Cabrio I had. When they weren't sure about the VW, I offered them a drive of the Octavia & they didn't understand the link between the two brands & still don't.

Then one of my best friends bought a Tiguan and was shocked when i helped her set up all the door locks, etc & showed her a few of the features that were just like my Skoda.

People just don't listen or think you are talking crap when you tell them a Skoda is a VW with a different body.

In short, if you aren't into cars (or maybe cycling) then Skoda isn't on the radar.

onyertod
05-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Anyone who has been in my Octavia and is remotely interested in cars has come out impressed.

Half an hour searching Google will tell you all you need to know about Skoda (or any other maker for that matter).

Most people just don't care enough - about anything.

When I am looking to spend upwards of $30k, I sure as hell am going to do some research.

As for those who cannot be arsed, well it's their loss.

Max.

VAG newbie
05-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Just another classic reaction today:

"Skoda? Too expensive for a car that comes from Croatia!"

Yeah, only people who know cars wil appreciate the true beauty of Skoda. But that's the problem. We represent a very small percentage of the population. All the people that made those comments aren't uneducated blondes. I work in a hospital and these are professionals!

This just goes to show how much more work Skoda need to put into advertising their cars. At the moment, I think it depends on us to spread the word. Croatia is not Czech Republic!!

hmoon101
05-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Another one a while ago:

"You bought what? You shouldn't have bought a Chinese car, I saw a lot of them in China last year. Mate, you are putting your and your family's life in danger. You should've bought an Aussie car, like Ford Mondeo or Focus."

:facepalm:

Gti Dave
05-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Another one a while ago:

"You bought what? You shouldn't have bought a Chinese car, I saw a lot of them in China last year. Mate, you are putting your and your family's life in danger. You should've bought an Aussie car, like Ford Mondeo or Focus."

Wow that definitely trumps everything else.

BlackSuperb
05-08-2011, 10:21 PM
.........Croatia is not Czech Republic!!
Hang about. Some good things come from Croatia!

Gti Dave
06-08-2011, 01:05 AM
I think I spoke a little too soon. I was just out washing my car at the car wash and another asian dude comes up to me and asks "hey man...what's a schooda?" followed by..."I'm sure I saw one the other day that looks like a Holden." :facepalm:

manyu
09-08-2011, 07:44 PM
I have my dad's superb as my phone's wallpaper.
School mate looks at it and goes "Oh, you drive a mondeo too?"
Its not a mondeo mate, its a Skoda!
*I open a better picture and show it to him*
"yeah, its a mondeo."

"Yeah bro, cool story"

dru
10-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Was filling up the vRS the other day and had a older guy walk up to me and point at the car and state "Volkswagen Engine right?"...I then explained the whole thing to him, and he seemed to know a little bit about them. He was considering the upgrade from a subby forestor - especially after I popped the boot for him :P

bobski
10-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Most people I talk to seem to know who Skoda are and if they don't, I describe them as "rebadged VWs" and they get it. Anyone I've shown the car to went away impressed (and its always the boot that makes go "oooooOoOoo").

Haven't seen VFACTS for a while, but I reckon its still going to be a supply and dealer issue for Skoda. The Fabia and Yeti are going to fill two glaring holes in their range. If they can get the supply right and back the dealers, they can very quickly double or triple their figures once they have two of the most popular segments on the books.

Anyway, I'm not too fussed if Skoda's aren't that popular. As long as they sell enough to stick around, its all good.

phaeton
11-08-2011, 01:10 PM
I think with the Yeti, Fabia, Roomster, Skoda's up! and the future sedan below Octavia - Skoda's presence will rise stronger in Australia.

Anyone seen any seats (SEATs) lately that was VWs learning curve here in Australia, this time they have Skoda dealers not VW dealers with SEATs inside them.

K1W1
11-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Anyone seen any seats (SEATs) lately that was VWs learning curve here in Australia, this time they have Skoda dealers not VW dealers with SEATs inside them.

No it wasn't.
SEAT (and VW at the time) were imported into Australia by a privately owned UK distributor called Inchcape who just happens to be the same company who still has the distributorship for Subaru in Australia.
The VW factory were not involved in directly importing cars into Australia until about the year 2000.

nightphotographer
11-08-2011, 02:56 PM
I think the Skoda brand image here is better than in Europe! I know certainly as a Skoda owner in the UK, it was almost a joke saying you owned one and very few people would drop the old skoda stereotype. I think Australia is a fresh start for Skoda and maybe not knowing the brands history actually works in its favour. It's better to tell people about a new brand than tell them about an old brand that's been redeveloped.

I love skoda to pieces though, I've only owned VW's Seats and one Skoda...the Skoda was the best of them all.

VAG newbie
11-08-2011, 04:56 PM
I've come to a point realizing that it's not such a bad thing that Skoda is not well known! My wife had no idea what Maybach or Maserati is. She thought they are the same as Skoda, ie, unknown niche Euro brands!

Maybe that's what I'll say when people see my car!

gldgti
11-08-2011, 05:40 PM
I've always thought of skodas as VW's..... the octavia is the first car i've owned thats not a Golf - but it feels like a golf when I drive it, and it looks like a golf underneath, so thats how I think of it.

My parents are VW people and they "get it". My father in law is generally interested in cars, and although he'd never seen a Skoda up close when we brought it around for him to look at, he was quietly impressed (despite being into bikes and owning a mitsu 380 for a car - that I cant understand at all).

But yes, generally I find people havn't a clue what the heck the Skoda is - all the better I say. Years ago when I started driving I really enjoyed having a Golf because NOBODY i knew owned golfs at all. Nowdays everyone drives them, and frankly I prefer to be obscure.

phaeton
11-08-2011, 06:04 PM
No it wasn't.
SEAT (and VW at the time) were imported into Australia by a privately owned UK distributor called Inchcape who just happens to be the same company who still has the distributorship for Subaru in Australia.
The VW factory were not involved in directly importing cars into Australia until about the year 2000.

I know that but they still had to meet targets and get marketing budgets etc from manufacturer so VW group must have learnt something with the experience.

K1W1
11-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Yea how to kill a brand and go virtually broke.

phaeton
12-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Yea how to kill a brand and go virtually broke.

Yeah, SEAT still only just breaking even.

Brycem
12-08-2011, 02:00 PM
I think the Skoda brand image here is better than in Europe! I know certainly as a Skoda owner in the UK, it was almost a joke saying you owned one and very few people would drop the old skoda stereotype. I think Australia is a fresh start for Skoda and maybe not knowing the brands history actually works in its favour. It's better to tell people about a new brand than tell them about an old brand that's been redeveloped.

I love skoda to pieces though, I've only owned VW's Seats and one Skoda...the Skoda was the best of them all.

When did you own a Skoda in the UK and what was it?

What you describe as the position in the UK is ten years out of date.

They are now viewed by anyone with an IQ of over 100 as a mainstream product which are in the market against Renault, Peugeot, Citreon, Ford, Seat, Vauxhall and in the eyes of many journalists offer better value and better vehicles than those brands. Have a look at last week's Auto Express magazine - Skoda took a trolley full of accolades once again. Same story with What Car and Which Magazine.

The difficulty here is that VW have been greedy with pricing. They have priced on a par with VW products when in fact they cost substantially less in Europe. I know the old "you get higher specced Skodas here" line but that only cuts it so far as the VWs are higher specced too.

I own 2 cars, one a VW Golf GTI and the other a Skoda RS Wagon. The cars cost roughly the same here but in the UK the Skoda (even in Australian higher spec) costs around 6000 pounds less. There is no justification for the Australian pricing other than they want to make more profit as they sell in smaller numbers or wish to recover their start up costs. Now Audi is an entirely different ball game where pure unadulterated greed is clearly on display. The polo GTI cost 1400 pounds less than the Audi A1 sport in the UK but here the difference is $15000. BMW and Mercedes are up to the same practices. Note to self stick to non prestige brands in Australia!

nightphotographer
12-08-2011, 02:22 PM
I had a 2006 Fabia VRS (TDI 130), even after leaving a Seat Leon FR (TDI 170) it is my favourite car to date. It had been tuned very nicely, I'll actually post some photos in the Skoda thread because it had a subtle dub style to it and I'm sure the aussies will appreciate seeing another VAG car that never made it to their shores (in that shape anyway!)

I understand completely about VW/Audi pricing and how VW are really milking the prestigous brand image.

mangoburger
12-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I personally like the Skodas a lot, was always disappointed that VW didn't bring out a mid-size AWD diesel wagon prior to the Tiguan (I don't consider the Touareg mid-size), but Skoda had the Scout. The new Superbs live up to their name.

The Czechs are kings of irony though, to say "Škoda" means something like "What a pity". I have a few Czech and Slovak friends and they rule at being ironic.

Molotov
12-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Skoda's absence from the Australian market during the 80's/90's etc. is a blessing because in most people's eyes it's a relatively 'new' brand.

I spent 4 years as a kid in the UK (1989 - 1993) and Skoda and Lada were the butt of car jokes. One of the more memorable ones was, "What's the difference between a Skoda and a Tampon? A Tampon comes with a tow rope".

I was amazed at Skoda's turn-around in the UK and how they've gone from trashed-brand in the early 90's to a respectable member of the VAG group and is probably cannibalising some of the traditional VW turf. They seem like perfectly capable cars now and completely undeserving of any of the 'old skoda' stereotypes. But old habits die hard for some so there will probably always be a generation of folk (most likely from the UK) who would never touch a Skoda.

Reminds me a bit of Hyundai and how it's no longer fair to write them off as 'Korean crap'.

VAG newbie
12-08-2011, 03:25 PM
When did you own a Skoda in the UK and what was it?

Not entirely true. The other day I told one of my colleague from UK that I got a Skoda, she gave me the weirdest look, and couldn't stop laughing. I was surprised as I thought someone from UK would know it better. She told me "yes, I know they are good cars now, but I just can't help but think of all those jokes on Skoda!":(

They are now viewed by anyone with an IQ of over 100 as a mainstream product which are in the market against Renault, Peugeot, Citreon, Ford, Seat, Vauxhall and in the eyes of many journalists offer better value and better vehicles than those brands. Have a look at last week's Auto Express magazine - Skoda took a trolley full of accolades once again. Same story with What Car and Which Magazine.

Yeah, anybody knows about cars will know Skodas are good cars. All expert opinions here in OZ aren't that much different from that of UK. But my concern is more on average general publics, what they think of Skoda.

The difficulty here is that VW have been greedy with pricing. They have priced on a par with VW products when in fact they cost substantially less in Europe. I know the old "you get higher specced Skodas here" line but that only cuts it so far as the VWs are higher specced too.

I own 2 cars, one a VW Golf GTI and the other a Skoda RS Wagon. The cars cost roughly the same here but in the UK the Skoda (even in Australian higher spec) costs around 6000 pounds less. There is no justification for the Australian pricing other than they want to make more profit as they sell in smaller numbers or wish to recover their start up costs. Now Audi is an entirely different ball game where pure unadulterated greed is clearly on display. The polo GTI cost 1400 pounds less than the Audi A1 sport in the UK but here the difference is $15000. BMW and Mercedes are up to the same practices. Note to self stick to non prestige brands in Australia!

That's the problem. UK being in Europe, these entry level Euro machines (Skoda, Citroen, Renault, Fiat..etc) is probably seen as budget brands anyway. But in OZ, as they are from Europe, there is a "prestige" feelings to it, therefore it's justified to give a premium on its pricing. I heard in Europe, Asian cars are not commonly seen and they are not even considered competitive in the market. Not like in OZ, even Subaru can carry a "prestige" to it, and Hyundai can even compete in the market!

nightphotographer
12-08-2011, 03:50 PM
I think the true irony with Skoda is that although they're the cheapest of all the VAG cars to buy, they're statistically more reliable and that's because they get all of VAG's old tech that's tried and tested but it's so much more reliable than all of the new stuff that Audi and VW get.

That's what I heard from Skoda whilst I was in the UK, they have the highest customer satisfaction out of the entire group. And that's why my family owned 3 Skoda Fabia's at one point!

K1W1
12-08-2011, 04:00 PM

Strange you say that. The ONLY negative reaction I have had to me buying aSkoda was from two friends in the UK who independently (they don't know each other) both said things to the effect, "Why are you buying such a low spec car?". The reaction I got from them would be like telling somebody here that you had just brought a Chery, and that was only about 18 months ago.

Brycem
12-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Your friends obviously know little or nothing about cars. I suspect you put them straight.

Greggles4
12-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Had a couple of Skoda's as Europcar hire cars over the last couple fo months. Had one of the rental staff ask me to upgrade to an A4. He looked at mestrangely when I said I only rented through Europcar to get the Octavia. My wife would really love one and they drive so well. Much better than the replacement Europcar for the Skoda, Holden Cruze.
It really is a similar story to SEAT, now onto my fourth Cordy and it's happily the weekend car. Had some one the other day ask me what it was and still ask if they could buy one after they saw the amount of boot space. My friend told me it couldn't hold as much as his Camry, that only meant game on and I won. He didn't realise it was 15 years old, he thought it was no more than 5 years old.
I wish VW would bring SEAT back as well to compliment Skoda.

Brycem
13-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Not entirely true. The other day I told one of my colleague from UK that I got a Skoda, she gave me the weirdest look, and couldn't stop laughing. I was surprised as I thought someone from UK would know it better. She told me "yes, I know they are good cars now, but I just can't help but think of all those jokes on Skoda!":(

Yeah, anybody knows about cars will know Skodas are good cars. All expert opinions here in OZ aren't that much different from that of UK. But my concern is more on average general publics, what they think of Skoda.

That's the problem. UK being in Europe, these entry level Euro machines (Skoda, Citroen, Renault, Fiat..etc) is probably seen as budget brands anyway. But in OZ, as they are from Europe, there is a "prestige" feelings to it, therefore it's justified to give a premium on its pricing. I heard in Europe, Asian cars are not commonly seen and they are not even considered competitive in the market. Not like in OZ, even Subaru can carry a "prestige" to it, and Hyundai can even
compete in the market!

No the budget brands are the Koreans (Chinese not there yet as uk not in their pockets) Toyota Honda nissan and mazda sell relatively well in the uk but are not held in any great esteem. Certainly not revered for reliability as here but seen as functional and dull.

The point is that as pricing currently stands of all the euro players vw is the only one who doesn't charge a premium but only for vws. Skodas attract a premium and Audis a large premium. When the rs is 2.5 years old it is being replaced by a passat wagon.

gldgti
13-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Had a couple of Skoda's as Europcar hire cars over the last couple fo months. Had one of the rental staff ask me to upgrade to an A4. He looked at mestrangely when I said I only rented through Europcar to get the Octavia. My wife would really love one and they drive so well. Much better than the replacement Europcar for the Skoda, Holden Cruze.
It really is a similar story to SEAT, now onto my fourth Cordy and it's happily the weekend car. Had some one the other day ask me what it was and still ask if they could buy one after they saw the amount of boot space. My friend told me it couldn't hold as much as his Camry, that only meant game on and I won. He didn't realise it was 15 years old, he thought it was no more than 5 years old.
I wish VW would bring SEAT back as well to compliment Skoda.

agree agree and WIN!

The codoba really does have an enormous boot, but man the toledo is even better. I reckon the skoda's have the same kind of design intent, the octy is so roomy inside for such moderately sized car on the outside.

VAG newbie
13-08-2011, 09:33 PM
No the budget brands are the Koreans (Chinese not there yet as uk not in their pockets) Toyota Honda nissan and mazda sell relatively well in the uk but are not held in any great esteem. Certainly not revered for reliability as here but seen as functional and dull.

The point is that as pricing currently stands of all the euro players vw is the only one who doesn't charge a premium but only for vws. Skodas attract a premium and Audis a large premium. When the rs is 2.5 years old it is being replaced by a passat wagon.

When compare to VW, I suppose another factor for Skoda is more metal for your money, not just equipment. Yes, we all know Fabia = Polo, Octavia = Golf, Superb = Passat and Yeti = Tiguan. But disregard engine, mechanics and platform, simply compare the size, Octavia is more midsize like Passat and A4, Superb is limo size like A6 and phaeton. I haven't seen Fabia in real but I heard it's size is closer to Golf than Polo.

In OZ, size does matter, consider Falcodore has been the top selling car for years, although it's declining, it's because of the rising fuel cost and people have moved to SUVs, it still shows size does matter! So Passat buyers who just need a midsize family car, they might find Octavia way more affordable, and A6 buyers may opt for Superb (ie, me:p) and save $40-50,000!!

I'm not saying it's OK for VW to charge a premium for Skoda, in fact, I fully agree it's a bit expensive for a brand that is still establishing it's name. But I guess that's the reason VW feels its ok to charge a premium. Don't worry, the market will speak itself and Skoda will adjust it's price so consumers will accept. Eg. When Superb first came out, the price was definitely way too optimistic! ($48990 for 125TDI elegance, without leather and GPS! No thanks!)

Also I don't think Skoda Aus is just comparing with VW but all other brands. All car makers here charge a premium anyway! A Thai Honda Accord V6L for $49990!! It's not even as well equipt as the Superb! An OZ made Aurion for the same money? What about Hyundai? It's price is up there with Japanese now and many people do not consider it as a budget brand anymore because of the price premium! This makes both Skoda and VW extremely good value for money.