PDA

View Full Version : V6 Diesel Amarok??

Mk1_Citi_Golf
31-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Seen a few of these and like what I see. Even crossed my mind to trade my Nissan powered Defender 130 in on one of these BUT there's no big engine... Why no twin turbo V6 diesel option?? Surely if they want to compete with the Australian market they need a lump capable of pulling a laden boat trailer across the Nulabor overloaded itself with gear, big tyres, roo bars and people doing 140kph!! Thoughts please..

2dr Evangalist
01-08-2011, 07:51 AM
I would settle for a 5cyl 2.5 with 450nm .......

calibrated
01-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Seen a few of these and like what I see. Even crossed my mind to trade my Nissan powered Defender 130 in on one of these BUT there's no big engine... Why no twin turbo V6 diesel option?? Surely if they want to compete with the Australian market they need a lump capable of pulling a laden boat trailer across the Nulabor overloaded itself with gear, big tyres, roo bars and people doing 140kph!! Thoughts please..

Drive one. Then tell me you dont think it can do what you mentioned above.

Ralphs
01-08-2011, 05:26 PM
When I first bought a Golf 2.0TDI with 6 speed DSG about 6 years ago most people thought going diesel was crazy. I must admit I was a bit sceptical.

We live up a twisting "mountain" road which climbs from sea level to over 430m in just 6 Km. One day I had a guy in a Holden V8 SS ute sitting right on my rear bumper just at the start of the hill. He was being smart in his BIG V8 !! So I dropped the Golf into sports mode and at each turn pulled another 20m away. The first few I could see him wondering "what the .... it's only a Golf and diesel to boot". As we crested the top of the hill he was at least 300m back, with white knuckles.

So a win for german engineering. Now we have a Tiguan, also diesel, and we love it. Also have a Rodeo Ute with a 3.4L V6 that is strong but torque is average and it drinks like a sailor on shore leave.

So "common wisdom" meaning Japanese brainwashing is we must have at least 3.0L and really you want a 4.5L V8 to go touring in Australia with a load. Frankly I am going to give those German engineers at VW the benefit of the doubt. They say I can load the Amarok with a ton and then pull 2.8T on the tow bar and still climb a 12 degree rise. I plan to put about 650 Kg on the tray and pull a 1.4T Tvan fully loaded. And frankly I will never two at 140K/hr not even in NT.

Would I buy a V6 or the R5 out of the old Touareg if it was available ... Yes... would I pay extra ...Yes. How much ... maybe +$5K.

But in the meantime I think the 2.0TDI will do the job I need it to do.

Sumodog68
01-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Golf diesel quicker then SS ute ? You could see his white knuckles 300m away :-) I would say he was just playing with you :-)
German engineers are good but i think you are a bit brainwashed with your german engineering ideas - they are known to make their designs overly complicated which in turn reduces reliabilty.
Name one german 4wd that is commonly used in serious offroading by normal people and not racing teams with huge budgets...

fouros
01-08-2011, 10:18 PM
i dunno i thought G Wagens were pretty decent off road

sh|tbmxrider
02-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Drive one. Then tell me you dont think it can do what you mentioned above.

Sure, it will do it.

For how long is the question mark that hovers... And time will tell if it stands the test of time (thank you Van Halen)

Ill liken it to trucks, which too are diesel and pull loads... And also have approximate 'levels' of engine capacity depending on what you are doing...

Sure, something with a 12.5-to-13L engine punching out 480-540HP/2500-2700Nm will pull 68t Melbourne to Brisbane and back.

But, compared to a 15-to-16L engine punching out 500-730HP/2500-3500Nm, the little engine relying on boost more than cubic capacity WILL have a shorter lifespan compared to the bigger engine... The 13-ish Litre motor is fine on local/intrastate, even changeovers... but for longer/heavier/harder work... ahh, your gunna strike trouble sooner than you would/should.

Transporter
02-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Sure, it will do it.

For how long is the question mark that hovers... And time will tell if it stands the test of time (thank you Van Halen)

Ill liken it to trucks, which too are diesel and pull loads... And also have approximate 'levels' of engine capacity depending on what you are doing...

Sure, something with a 12.5-to-13L engine punching out 480-540HP/2500-2700Nm will pull 68t Melbourne to Brisbane and back.

But, compared to a 15-to-16L engine punching out 500-730HP/2500-3500Nm, the little engine relying on boost more than cubic capacity WILL have a shorter lifespan compared to the bigger engine... The 13-ish Litre motor is fine on local/intrastate, even changeovers... but for longer/heavier/harder work... ahh, your gunna strike trouble sooner than you would/should.

You're right on the money there! That's why I will hold to my 2.5 T5 for as long as practical.

Seano
02-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Golf diesel quicker then SS ute ?

All the power in the world is not much good if you can't get it on the ground. Which one do you think has the better chassis dynamics for the requisite engine, eh? My money would be on the Golf.

That said.....the OP asks when an Amarok will get a V6 Tdi. The likely answer is....never. Unless VW decide to take the US market seriously (which is unlikely since the US seems to be eating itself of late). Doesn't fit the development & market profile - it'd have to be a premium vehicle and sit at the top of the Amarok range - why pay $60K plus for a V6 Tdi Amarok? That's roughly the asking price for the base model Touareg with its 150/400 V6 Tdi (Amarok is 120/400) so to beat that you'd have to go for the up tuned 176/550 V6 which is somewhere in the 80K territory....how much would that set you back in an Amarok especially if VW want to avoid devaluing their engineering?

Not a chance. If you want to do all the stuff suggested in the OP (and think the Amarok can't) then by a Ford Falcon ute with the new LPi engine. But that probably wouldn't make you happy either...

Ralphs
02-08-2011, 05:56 PM
A mate just bought a Toyota 79 series single can ute for over $60K with a few bells on it !! So there is a market for higher powered strong utes.

Sumodog68
02-08-2011, 10:32 PM
I agree with power and chassis to exploit it comment but i 've lost count of how many times i get "beaten" at the lights or mountain passes by much slower cars (when driving my 8 ) as i am not really racing :-). I mean you do set them straight now and then but i am not driving around trying to prove how quick my car is...
On a ute subject - We looked at pretty much all available utilities (and many 4WD wagons) on the market . Loved the Amarok apart from the seats and choice of engines and transmissions as i really wanted a 6 and an auto this time around. In the end we went with Navara 550. Picked it up this morning :-)

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n551/sumodog68/Navara2.jpg

FASTCRAIG
09-08-2011, 09:09 PM
G Wagen , Uni Mog and my 04 Touareg

FASTCRAIG
09-08-2011, 09:10 PM
didnt the french surrender to the germans??? seats in a Navara better than an Amarok?????

FASTCRAIG
09-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Sure, it will do it.

5.3 ltr v6 2 stoke twin charged diesel powers M113 and Aslav both in excess of 13t(unloaded), so if amarok has a 2 ltr that is about 1/2 the size but pulling 2t(unloaded), given PROVEN vehicle experience(mine,I have driven all 3), either the engine in the Amarok is sufficient, or every armoured vehicle I have ever driven should have blown up and given that some of these vehicles have been around since the sixties, I think your longevity issue is a dud

Transporter
11-08-2011, 04:40 AM
I think your longevity issue is a dud

It all depends how long longevity you have on mind. For example London taxi TX4 uses VM Motori Italian made diesel engine (R425 DOHC) that is capable of over 130kW and when used in that taxi it was down tuned to only 75kW and 240Nm torque to assure the longevity. :)

Sumodog68
16-08-2011, 09:34 PM
didnt the french surrender to the germans??? seats in a Navara better than an Amarok?????

Using your logic US And Russians manufacture the best seats as germans surrendered to them :-)

Seats are a personal thing and i do feel much more comfortable in Navara seats. Not saying that there is anything wrong with Amarok seats but for me they were a bit narrow and hard . Navara is a Nissan with french driveline :-) ( in 550 guise) - btw v9x is averaging 9.6/100 atm with lots of city driving and has grunt to spare...very impressed so far.

sh|tbmxrider
16-08-2011, 11:55 PM
5.3 ltr v6 2 stoke twin charged diesel powers M113 and Aslav both in excess of 13t(unloaded), so if amarok has a 2 ltr that is about 1/2 the size but pulling 2t(unloaded), given PROVEN vehicle experience(mine,I have driven all 3), either the engine in the Amarok is sufficient, or every armoured vehicle I have ever driven should have blown up and given that some of these vehicles have been around since the sixties, I think your longevity issue is a dud

yes, I must have no idea what I am talking about, with no real life experience in little engines vs. big engines in heavy transport, silly me

Typicial bloody car salesman

maca
17-08-2011, 01:18 AM

Oh God no, the front seats (at least) are terrible compared to the Amarok. The Navara's seats are basically like sitting on a single bench seat with no side support whatsoever and today I realised how much I wanted an Amarok :P

Sumodog68
17-08-2011, 07:15 PM
As i said it depends on your build and taste in seats - i suffer in heavily sculpted , supportive seats. I like 'em wide and flat :-)

will rob
02-05-2012, 07:40 AM
I agree it would be ideal to see a bigger engine for towing. The Amarok is a beefy looking 4x4 but a 2L engine isn't big enough for towing a van or boat across the continent.

team_v
02-05-2012, 08:04 AM
I thought it was widley known that the Navara is the worst "off-road" ute on the market.
The ramp over angle was the worst in it's class last time i checked and the exit angle was also quite poor.

Transporter
02-05-2012, 08:22 AM
It can't be that bad, it depends what do you use it for. A good friend of mine has one and is quite happy with it. He does a fair bit of off roading too. :)

Dzl_Dubba
08-05-2012, 11:19 AM
VW could always drop in the V6 TDI in, slap on a R badge, flared wheel archers, meaty tyres and a lift kit and call it a day.

Bambazonke
12-06-2012, 07:40 PM
If we all whinge long and loud enough maybe just maybe VWA will take notice and have a word with VW South Africa and ask them to modify a few Amaroks there as VW have the facilities near East London to do it as there will be also many SA "bakkie" (ute) owners wanting the V6 diesel option. Remember VWA said they would never bring the Scirocco to Aus and look what happened!

Transporter
12-06-2012, 10:29 PM
It would be good if they would use the 3.0L V6 TDI in Amarok. That could boost the Amarok sales in AU. I think that 4 cyl. 2.0L from Golf must put off many buyers and now they started to use the same engine in the Crafter. :facepalm:

phantomcamel
13-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Golf diesel quicker then SS ute ? You could see his white knuckles 300m away :-) I would say he was just playing with you :-)
German engineers are good but i think you are a bit brainwashed with your german engineering ideas - they are known to make their designs overly complicated which in turn reduces reliabilty.
Name one german 4wd that is commonly used in serious offroading by normal people and not racing teams with huge budgets...
UNIMOG :cool: Unimog Australia: Unimog Australia (http://www.unimog.com.au/)

Sumodog68
20-06-2012, 08:10 AM
UNIMOG :cool: Unimog Australia: Unimog Australia (http://www.unimog.com.au/)

I see Unimog on 4wd tracks all the time :-) about as common and affordable as a pinzgauer i used to drive ....

Volksee77
20-06-2012, 11:57 PM
just be done with it and buy a second hand R50 v10 diesel like i have and when the warranty expires, bang in she goes :-D

dubstyle
06-07-2012, 05:53 PM
I've got a MY12 trendline and it pulls like a freight train. Not once have I ever had to change down a gear on a hill. I tow a 1.5tonne trailler and boat (I admit its not huge) but it goes great. Australia's obsession with bigger cubes is out dated and people need to look to the 21st century.

I've just bought a 118TSi golf for the mrs. Thats a 1.4litre 4cyld with 118kws. Initially she wanted a Mazda 3, which has a 2.0litre with 105kw. Its got ***** fuel economy and doesnt drive anywhere near as good as a golf.

It will be interesting to see what the Auto drives like when it comes out next month. Apparently they'll be rated to 3 or possibly 3.2T towing capacity.

Transporter
06-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Australia's obsession with bigger cubes is out dated and people need to look to the 21st century.

IMO, well made engine with bigger capaity and moderate output will outlast the high output engine with less cylinders or/and smaller capacity. :)

Tobes_WIR35
10-07-2012, 09:08 PM

How about half the world's defence forces who drive G series Mercedes? As well as the other Mercedes heavy vehicles. Or the millions of VW beach buggies harassing sand dunes all over the world for the last 50 years? (which had very UNcomplicated engineering - air cooled and everything...)

The "Aussie bloke" approach to engineering is "throw as much steel at something as we can." By definition this is not engineering at all.

How many Aussie 4WD owners actually do "serious" off roading anyway? I had a D40 Navara with big tyres and about $10k worth of ARB gear, took it to Moreton Island, and my sister's stock standard Subaru Forester went everywhere the Navara did.

phantomcamel
29-07-2012, 09:04 PM
V6 "might" be in the cards - not that I think it is necessary unless you have mega horse float or similar

Transporter
29-07-2012, 09:26 PM
YES! ...and I hope it will find its way into other commercial vehicles, incl. 4Motion Crafter! :banana:

Sharkie
30-01-2013, 01:33 PM
I now have it on very good authority that senior people at VWA have DRIVEN the V6 TDI prototypes in Germany recently ....... Discuss :)

Transporter
30-01-2013, 02:23 PM
That's fantastic news, hopefully it will find the way to down under. :grin:

Sharkie
30-01-2013, 02:47 PM
If I was a betting man, I'd say watch out for some announcement in March at the Geneva motorshow ..... I think that sounds like a likely place to make such a big announcement :) Could be wrong on that though......

phaeton
30-01-2013, 07:14 PM
If I was a betting man, I'd say watch out for some announcement in March at the Geneva motorshow ..... I think that sounds like a likely place to make such a big announcement :) Could be wrong on that though......

or if the potential biggest market for this vehicle was us? it could be AIMS in Melbourne :D

Amasparki
06-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Hi guys. I have an auto h/l and with payload + trailer the Rok is grossly under powered. Not to mention uses virtually twice the diesel for the same trip with just 2 people. Yes I'm unimpressed, should have kept my 06 T5 4 motion Lwb 128kw van, pulled like train with negligible consumption change. 1x extra Turbo DOESN'T = .5 litre of capacity.

phantomcamel
11-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Well, I am visiting Germany in a couple of days courtesy of VGA - including one, if not two factory visits, so hopefully I have some juicy news on Amarok (& other models) by the end of the trip :banana:

Roo
12-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Will be very interested to hear the results on this!! Cheers, Roo

flyingfridge
14-03-2013, 12:18 PM
I note that we do have a drive program in Wolfsburg, wouldn't hold my breath that we'll even see any prototypes

Sharkie
10-05-2013, 10:09 AM
And it is yet another step closer .....

Drive - Volkswagen GTI Ute at Woerthersee (http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/vws-grunty-amarok-ute-20130510-2jbgs.html)

and

New Volkswagen Amarok R-Style Concept images emerge (http://www.worldcarfans.com/113050957451/new-volkswagen-amarok-r-style-concept-images-emerge)

and

Volkswagen Amarok R-Style Concept announced for Worthersee (http://www.worldcarfans.com/113050857409/volkswagen-amarok-r-style-concept-announced-for-worthersee)

go figure, 3 days after I order an Amarok, a new model is almost announced .... :mad: And whilst I would never in a million years again buy a 2.0TDI, I might buy a 3.0TDI V6 ..... :(

Sharkie
10-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Latest feedback I have is:

V6 TDI only to be in the Ultimate as an auto model .... about $70K ..... that is, no mid spec V6 models to be offered.

retailraymond
11-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Latest feedback I have is:

V6 TDI only to be in the Ultimate as an auto model .... about $70K ..... that is, no mid spec V6 models to be offered.

Any literature on that mate? Would be interesting to read about it let alone confirm it for Aus.

Deadly_headmen
12-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Someone on vw amarok forum posted pics of a v6 petrol amarok in the system, so hopefully the diesel is on it's way as well

4paw
13-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Any literature on that mate? Would be interesting to read about it let alone confirm it for Aus.

x 2 on this please

Thanks 4paw

Sharkie
15-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Someone on vw amarok forum posted pics of a v6 petrol amarok in the system, so hopefully the diesel is on it's way as well

Yeah, saw that, looks like the V6 FSI (petrol) is on the way as well. Unlikely to make it to Aust though with VWA's TDI direction. I'd buy a V6 FSI with 195kw anyday though.

ETKA shows V6 TDI due to be announced 7/13 and the V6 FSI 11/13 ..... discuss :banana:

Sumodog68
15-05-2013, 10:41 PM
It was always on the cards as 2.0 4cyl diesel is really not suitable for a ute of Amaroks size and towing capacity. That is if you like a bit of performance , if you dont care about performance then is probably ok.
Unfortunately V6 will be pricey but performance will be up there with 550 Navara . Cant arrive to the market soon enough.

Tornado_ALIVE
16-05-2013, 06:46 PM
It was always on the cards as 2.0 4cyl diesel is really not suitable for a ute of Amaroks size and towing capacity. That is if you like a bit of performance , if you dont care about performance then is probably ok..

FYI, the Rok has higher HP and torque figures that many of the 3.0ltr TDI Utes on the market such as the Hilux, however the fuel economy is significantly improved. Many people assume the engine is not up to the task because it is a 2ltr..... Never thought I would read that on a VW forum though. Normally comes from uninformed / ignorant Hilux, Nissan, Ford and Mitso owners.

Did you know an Auto Rok has a quicker 0 to 100kmh time than the 3.2ltr TDI Ranger!

BTW, If I wanted a performance car, I woudl not be looking at a DC ute. These things are off road tourers and do a bloody good job of it. A 3ltr would be nice but you will take a fuel consumption hit which is not what you are after out of a tourer.

Sumodog68
16-05-2013, 10:56 PM
FYI, the Rok has higher HP and torque figures that many of the 3.0ltr TDI Utes on the market such as the Hilux, however the fuel economy is significantly improved. Many people assume the engine is not up to the task because it is a 2ltr..... Never thought I would read that on a VW forum though. Normally comes from uninformed / ignorant Hilux, Nissan, Ford and Mitso owners.

Did you know an Auto Rok has a quicker 0 to 100kmh time than the 3.2ltr

BTW, If I wanted a performance car, I woudl not be looking at a DC ute. These things are off road tourers and do a bloody good job of it. A 3ltr would be nice but you will take a fuel consumption hit which is not what you are after out of a tourer.

Ranger is 10.2s 0-100 vs 10.9s for Amarok Auto ...DC cab is not the right format for a performance car , i do agree but i did find manual Amarok too slow for even a DC ute. Just my opinion.
I ended up with Navara 550 but if v6 Amarok was available i would seriously consider it.

Tornado_ALIVE
16-05-2013, 11:57 PM
I read the auto Rok was 9.15 vs the Ranger's 9.95.

The Navara 550 would be comparable to a 3ltr Rok, including fuel consumption. If your happy with the extra fuel consumption and increased torque in your tourer, than that is fine. The Rok chooses a different direction in 2 ltr form, and rivals all the other 4 cylinder DCs on the market.

Tornado_ALIVE
17-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Looks like the 0 to 100 times are a bit all over the shop on the net. Anyway, not a lot of difference in time but a fair difference in fuel consumption.

Sumodog68
17-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Not sure about Ranger but 550 sits on 8.5 /100 on mix of city driving and busy freeway runs . For the performance and the size of the car fuel economy is outstanding. Main reason is that engine rarely needs to rev over 1500 and sits around 1200 on average - no need to work it hard to keep up with traffic. My previous Hilux D4D was using 10.8 in the same driving conditions.

Sharkie
17-05-2013, 07:38 AM
In South Africa, where VW actually bothers to list 0-100km/h these are the official figures from VWSA's website

All DC Highlines :mad:
132kw TDI manual 0-100km/h 10.6s
132kw TDI auto 0-100km/h 10.9s
118kw TSI manual 0-100km/h 9.9s

If you wanted to go faster, look elsewhere than a TDI and buy a TSI ......

Both V6s (FSI and TDI) arguably will be even quicker, however 2.0TSI has the current GTI engine and an easy 250kw/500NM to be had if you know where to look :cool: ... 5s 0-100km/h anyone? :P

Sumodog68
17-05-2013, 11:16 AM
In South Africa, where VW actually bothers to list 0-100km/h these are the official figures from VWSA's website

All DC Highlines :mad:
132kw TDI manual 0-100km/h 10.6s
132kw TDI auto 0-100km/h 10.9s
118kw TSI manual 0-100km/h 9.9s

If you wanted to go faster, look elsewhere than a TDI and buy a TSI ......

Both V6s (FSI and TDI) arguably will be even quicker, however 2.0TSI has the current GTI engine and an easy 250kw/500NM to be had if you know where to look :cool: ... 5s 0-100km/h anyone? :P

I 've noticed that South Africa is the place where expertise on bakkies are - their car mags seems to put cars through paces and publish results as they are - OZ mags seem to brush up the numbers for top advertisers :-)
5s 0-100 in Rok will need more than 250kW/500Nm due to weight factor .

Deadly_headmen
17-05-2013, 05:58 PM
V6 doesn't mean increased fuel consumption. The sq5 has the v6 bi turbo. Does 0-100km in 5.1seconds and uses 6.8lt/100km. 230kw and 650nm. The sq5 weights under 2ton.
So there is no reason that the amarok couldn't do under 8lts easy

4paw
16-11-2013, 12:09 PM
ETKA shows V6 TDI due to be announced 7/13 and the V6 FSI 11/13 ..... discuss :banana:[/QUOTE]

Bump on this one ^^^^^
I've been following this closely (like many others I suspect !) any news champ ?

Thanks 4 paw

Deadly_headmen
15-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Same. Bump

Sharkie
16-12-2013, 11:09 AM
I keep on asking and keep on being told the prototypes are out there being driven and evaluated with no news yet on a release date ....

phantomcamel
20-12-2013, 07:27 PM
patience, patience... ;)

Transporter
20-12-2013, 07:32 PM
patience, patience... ;)

I hope the price difference between V6TDI and 2.0L TDI won't too high. I will be roadtesting the current offerings in this holidays, incl. the TSI version. :)

Sharkie
21-12-2013, 09:08 AM
I hope the price difference between V6TDI and 2.0L TDI won't too high. I will be roadtesting the current offerings in this holidays, incl. the TSI version. :)

Miro, the TSI is the surprise package IMO ... punchy and actually quite good on fuel (easy low 8l/100k cruising) .... typically TSI low low down torque a bit lacking, but once you have 2500rmin onboard you'd be smiling (and leaving the TDIs in the dust behind you).

V6TDI be the 1 to go for I'd reckon for ulitmate driveability but I'll wait to see how the V6 FSI goes 1st before making a final judgement :)

May end up being a 2 Amarok family .....

Deadly_headmen
09-01-2014, 07:03 PM
This sucks. I don't want to upgrade to an auto if a v6 is coming out

Transporter
09-01-2014, 07:51 PM
This sucks. I don't want to upgrade to an auto if a v6 is coming out

Hmm, the question is when? Also, be prepared to pay a lot more for that V6TDI. :)

Sharkie
10-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Hmm, the question is when? Also, be prepared to pay a lot more for that V6TDI. :)

I've been told it will be in Ultimate spec only + a bit of a price hike, so $60K+

If it is going to happen it will be soon. Keep an eye out for major motor shows around the world in the next 3-6 months.

Deadly_headmen
12-01-2014, 08:16 PM
I've been told it will be in Ultimate spec only + a bit of a price hike, so $60K+

If it is going to happen it will be soon. Keep an eye out for major motor shows around the world in the next 3-6 months.

I would pay that. If it drives like the vag group v6 tdi they use then it will be an amazing ute.

Tornado_ALIVE
12-01-2014, 09:35 PM
An Ultimate will set you back about 70k drive away now. I would imagine a V6 would be 80k+ if the decide to bring one out.

Sharkie
13-01-2014, 07:00 AM
An Ultimate will set you back about 70k drive away now. I would imagine a V6 would be 80k+ if the decide to bring one out.

Sorry, yes whatever the Ultimate currently costs + a bit extra ......

A few motor shows coming up in the next 6 months but I'm almost over the wait now. They built, they tested it, now to decide if they want to sell it .... Who knows, VW does weird things, but you'd think this would be a no brainer :P

Transporter
13-01-2014, 07:23 AM
The chances are that they will feel the pressure from the competition to bring the bigger than 2L engine from small models.
I looked at the Isuzu 3.0L and yes the Amarok has more torque, but I'd still prefer the 3.0L engine under the hood, for the longevity and also that more power could be extracted from the 3.0L than the 2.0L, not talking about that the 3.0L engine will retain more power as well, once you put 100k-200k km on the engine.

...and as long as they offer that V6 TDI as an option in other versions of Amarok they could still compete. But, honestly I don't see many tradis lined up to buy a ute for $80,000

2dr Evangalist
19-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Love the idea of 200kw odd V6, but am I the only one who has done the following math ......
If the 2.5 engine developed the same output per litre as the 2, then 120/132 kw becomes 150/165......
Just saying .....

Transporter
22-02-2014, 07:38 AM
After 3 weeks with Amarok, I have to say that, yes the V6TDI would be nice, but I'm impressed with the performance from the 2.0L TDI and the 8spZF transmission.
The only regrets I have, I shouldn't have wait for so long. :)
And when the time comes to upgrade and the V6 TDI will be an option, I'm so happy with the 2.0L engine in the rok, that I won't pay too much extra for the V6 especially when I'll see that the longevity and long term reliability of the 4 cylinder engine is good (not affected, considering the engine is powering much heavier car than Golf).

Those of you who still wait for the V6TDI just take the 2.0L Amarok for the test drive and don't be afraid to push it, it's very responsive. Believe me I drive V6TDI Touareg as well. Of course there is no contest in the speed and acceleration between the two, but if you don't have the unlimited demerit points and a lots of money for the speeding tickets, then the 2.0L TDI is more than sufficient.

Guy_H
24-02-2014, 05:13 PM
As above - The 8 speed Auto matched to the 2.0 is a great combo - we tow 3 ton's with ours & have no issue with it being a 2.0TDI

Sharkie
02-10-2014, 03:45 PM
A bit of a resurrection of this thread ......

There has been a dramatic increase in "news"/speculation that the Amarok will finally be sold into the USA from 2015 onwards ..... some (not all) of the bits I've recently seen has speculated that the V6 TDI will be in it ....

winchy
02-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Forgive my pessimism @Sharkie, but for the US market only do you think?

4paw
02-10-2014, 05:01 PM
That's great news if true ? Cos some of us are still waiting waiting..........:tapfingers:

If you don't mind, care to share your source of info ?

4paw

pologti18t
09-10-2014, 09:16 PM
There is no requirement for a V6 TDI Amarok. Nissan have dropped their 3L V6 from the new Navara and have gone for a smaller 2.3L TDI.
The DMAX will downsize to a 2.5L TDI soon.

VW do have a new bi-turbo 2L tdi for the Passat. 176kw/500Nm.

If VW do intend to sell the Amarok in the USA they will want a large petrol engine... not a diesel, to get volume sales. Probably the 3.6L V6 from the US built Passat.

The segment the Amarok would slot into would be the mid-sized trucks. This market has shrunk to next to nothing in the USA.
GM is reviving it with the Chevy COlorado and GMC Canyon.

Do you think the plain looking amarok can compete?

4paw
10-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Hi pologti18t

Thanks for the tip regarding "No need for a V6 TDI Amarok", I like many others I suspect are happy to wait a bit longer to see if VW will release the "plain looking Amarok" with a V6 under the hood (lets hope its donated from a SQ5) :driver:

Cheers 4paw

Sharkie
11-10-2014, 09:00 AM
There is no requirement for a V6 TDI Amarok. Nissan have dropped their 3L V6 from the new Navara and have gone for a smaller 2.3L TDI.
The DMAX will downsize to a 2.5L TDI soon.

If VW do intend to sell the Amarok in the USA they will want a large petrol engine... not a diesel, to get volume sales. Probably the 3.6L V6 from the US built Passat.

The segment the Amarok would slot into would be the mid-sized trucks. This market has shrunk to next to nothing in the USA.
GM is reviving it with the Chevy COlorado and GMC Canyon.

And those new entries into the mid-sized market apparently is exactly the reason VW USA is intending to bring the 2015 Amarok there .... And I have seen reports of a V6 petrol as well, but less of those than the V6 TDI ......

And as long as Ford and Toyota have large TDI's in their ranges a V6 TDI Amarok is relevant ...... What Isuzu and Nissan does (both small fry to be honest) is not an indication of where the market is at.

Hi pologti18t

Thanks for the tip regarding "No need for a V6 TDI Amarok", I like many others I suspect are happy to wait a bit longer to see if VW will release the "plain looking Amarok" with a V6 under the hood (lets hope its donated from a SQ5) :driver:

Cheers 4paw

I'll consider either, my prefernce would be the V6S (not the TDI) from the Q5 ....... though a NA V6 petrol will also be ahead of a TDI for me personally.

phaeton
11-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Not happening, sorry to burst the bubble. VWCV are exploring entry to the US but not with current generation Amarok, the Chicken Tax (Chicken tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax)) kills Amarok sales to the US before they even begin.

No news on V6 TDI arriving anytime soon !!!!

Keep on dreaming......