PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on 97 Polo purchase

MSF
30-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Hey guys,

Found this forum through PF and Google - looking for advice on what to look for and what goes wrong on the 97 model polos.
I am looking for a small-medium reliable econobox for daily duties.

I found a very cheap 97 Polo Manual, 170,000km that looks in pretty good shape, service history via a local mechanic as opposed to dealer. The only thing wrong that I have been told so far is the Drivers side window doesn't work (common issue I believe), but looking for any other advice / tips on things to look for.

I understand they want PULP - is 95RON Ok, or do they need 98 ?
What is the economy *really* like ??
I'm not after a rocketship, but as long as it keeps up with traffic and is not unbearably slow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
Jason

buzuki
30-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Check the pedal box for noise, of strange feeling when pushing pedal down, if its a manual? Ive changed a few pedal boxes where the welds let go in the pedal box.

sports racer
30-07-2011, 11:47 PM
The gearbox is the weakest link. First Polo's came with a 1.1 engine and progressively got bigger until theu were 1.6. The gearbox never changed and was never made stronger so make sure yours doesn't make any noise.

To get a little bit more power remove the end of the air intake, the bit that has the thermo switch. It's very restrictive.

I also recomend cutting a couple of coils off the springs to lower the car and fitting some 14" alloy wheels with 185 x 60 x 14 tyres. Turns the handling from sloppy to tight and really nice through corners. Totally transforms the car into something more fun to drive.

It will run OK on 91 octane and if you keep it at 100 k's on the open road you should get low 6's per 100 k's on country drives.

Cheers

Paul

pontiff
31-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Gearbox, Gearbox and more Gearbox... Thats why when you see them go at the auctions, if they are low mileage but have a manual gearbox they often still go for > 1k, where as if the same car comes up in auto, its 300-400 :)

Check over the gearbox thoroughly, because when it fails the cheapest i have seen them for is about $1200 (camden GTI incidentally in sydney, he sold me mine) plus fitting etc, often easier to throw the car out and buy another one.

Also common is the throttle body. Its a hybrid cable / electronic item and the electronic side of it can fail which will exhibit a hunting idle and sometimes it will just die for no particular reason. Easily replaced of course, but they are not cheap (and done even ask VAG for a price :)), 2nd hand they're about $250, but dont bother with those, google around and there is a place in germany that sells brand new ones for about $200 (probably better now with the aud$$ exchange rate).

As for the elec window not working on the one you are looking at, probably the wiring has shorted out in the door. Unscrew the black door connector from the car with the door open and peel back the black rubber surround and check it out. I have forgotten which colour it is, but i'll crack mine open and have a look if you like.

Other common thing is central locking stops working. It's commonly the vacuum pump and easily replaced, or if its just one door, the vacuum chamber on the locking mechanism (had mine apart yesterday).

Economy is good on 98ron. I only run mine on 98 and as a guide I get 600+kms to a tank of urban / country driving. When running 91 i can appreciably notice the difference. Not so much in power, but certainly in economy with it getting 500-550. Is it worth the difference??? probably not, but i figure its so frugal anyway, the least i can do is give it decent fuel :).

Speaking of gearbox, often the DKE which was fitted to our cars was not available when the old owners replaced them, so check out what it revs at at 100. Should be about 2,500-2,600. If it has had the 'city' gearbox fitted (i believe some of the 3 door models got it) it will rev at 3,000 or so. I have 2 polos, one with each of the difference gearboxes and i can say that the city one that while it revs higher on the freeway, its certainly punchier in and around town just screams a little on the fwy.

Good luck with it, these are really good little cars aside from the gearbox :)

RisingPhoenix
31-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Hi Pontiff,

There actually some gems of information on the Polo in that post. Where is the vacuum pump located on the Polo?

Cheers,

Steve

pontiff
31-07-2011, 05:15 PM
The pump is located in the boot on the drivers side where the first aid kit should be (neither of mine have one).. here is a pic. Its made by Hella.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/photoJPG-1.jpg

sports racer
31-07-2011, 06:18 PM
If you need any parts cheap let me know. I'm wreaking my 97 Polo.

Cheers

Paul

RisingPhoenix
31-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi Paul, Pontiff,

I'm just wondering how you tell if it's the vacuum pump causing issues with the central locking. I really should try and find a workshop manual I guess. Paul, if you have a working Vacuum pump, PM me, and we can strike up a deal. Otherwise, any ideas on finding them, or is VAG the only option?

Cheers,

Steve

pontiff
31-07-2011, 10:06 PM
If it is just one door, its either the vacuum box on the locking mechanism or the vacuum hose to the door. If all doors dont work then its probably the pump, but could be the hose running out of the boot.

Either way i would not worry too much about it, its not going to be expensive to fix, just somewhat trial and error.

MSF
01-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the tips here and also the PM's received, I really appreciate it.

I went and had a look at on Sunday arvo and I now see why it was so cheap.

There was rust all around the front screen and in the roof beside the body runners :(
The body was in reasonable condition - few bumps and scratches.
The interior window switches were hanging out (an attempt to repair the faulty drivers one I suspect) but there was evidence of other dash panels being removed and replaced as it had more rattles than a baby shop. At this stage, I made my mind up that it wasn;t for me, - but still wanted to drive it as it always pays to drive as many as you can to see what the good ones feel like vs the bad ones... right..?

It certainly drove well enough, the gearbox felt fine, actually, the clutch and gearbox felt pretty good after everyone waswarning me about them... but unfortunately for me - the rust was just far too advanced to justify buying it

Thanks again for the tips..

For anyone interested - It's white, Rego'd until 8/8/11 and located in Belrose, (NSW) - The bloke who owns it is a surfie dude who has been offered a good job in the mines, so it has to go. It's lived most of it's life on the Northern Beaches of Sydney, hence the rust. He is asking $1500 ono - so if anyone i9s interested - PM me and I'll give you the mobile number of the owners mate who is selling it for him now that he is away .

RisingPhoenix
01-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks Pontiff,

Is the VAG dealer the only option for the Vacuum pump? Or are there alternatives? Also, the vacuum hose seems quite tight. What kind of fitting is it? Any easy removal method you can recommend?

Cheers,

Steve

jets
04-08-2011, 09:07 AM
If you can establish that a new pump is required & you don't mind buying SH, they should be available from the wreckers. I had a quick look on ebayUK & they seem to be around 15 pounds.

RisingPhoenix
08-08-2011, 06:31 PM
I'd be interested to know if anyone has a diagnostics check list for the vacuum pump, rather than just throwing parts at the problem.

Cheers,

Steve

sports racer
08-08-2011, 10:30 PM
What are the symptoms?

RisingPhoenix
09-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Central locking doesn't work at all when unlocking or locking doors. Fuel cap never locks when doors are locked. I've also found passenger side lock doesn't like the drivers key, and boot lock requires a weird 1 1/3rd turn held to unlock (if that makes sense IE can't leave unlocked)

RisingPhoenix
13-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Also, since the mechanic accidentally displaced/(I'm guessing broke off) the on windscreen rearview mirror during last service, any thoughts on replacements/adhesives to replace the original or anyone who has a good idea for a replacement gear knob/boot? Seem previous owner did a dodgy fix after trying to unscrew the OEM gear knob!

sports racer
14-08-2011, 02:18 AM
Sounds like the vacuum pump. That's the one common thing that links all the locks together. Or you might have a leak somewhere so you should test the pump to see if you're getting any vacuum.

5 minute Araldite works great for sticking mirrors back on.

Is it the knob you need or the boot around the base of the gearstick?

RisingPhoenix
16-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Cheers, Do you know what I should look for to test the pump? Pins to apply 12V to/sounds/actions to listen for?

Will go for the Araldite, just need to remove the old adhesive first.

Given I work in the trucking industry, I never thought I'd say this, nor may ever live it down, It's the knob I need.

sports racer
18-08-2011, 12:01 AM
I'd repeat your quote but there's no way I'm going there! I've got one if you pay for postage but anything from a wrecker should be ok.

Disconnect the plastic pipe coming out of the vacuum pump and put your finger over the hole where the pipe came off. You're trying to see if there is a vacuum when you push down the lock on the drivers door.

You could also suck or blow (this post is going downhill fast) the pipe you disconnected to see if there is a leak.

Cheers

Paul

RisingPhoenix
18-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Ah, the gutter. My friend of familiarity.

Will check out the vacuum pump over the weekend. When I gave it a cursory glance a week or so back the actual vacuum tubing seems to be on rather tight. Is it glued? Any risk of major damage by forcefully removing it? Is the white part over the tube a securing clip? Will send you a PM tomorrow about postage for the gear knob, do you have a boot in good condition as well by chance?

Cheers,

Steve

sports racer
20-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Boot looks a bit worn from memory. It's raining and dark so I'll have a look in the morning.

On mine the plastic tube was very hard to pull off but eventually it came away without breaking anything.

RisingPhoenix
20-08-2011, 11:54 AM
After my closer inspection/removal my diagnosis has come up with a faulty vacuum pump with a serious case of "how the f&^k did water get into those electronics?" Don't suppose you have a functioning Vacuum pump as well as gear knob you'd be happy to part with for some cash?

Cheers,

Steve

RisingPhoenix
15-09-2011, 09:17 PM
OK. So, I have changed out the vacuum pump with one that seems to work. You can feel it humming along after turning the key etc. However. It seems the problem is larger than I thought. It now locks the fuel cap (yet doesn't unlock without removing the vacuum pump and manually releasing it via the vacuum tube) Any ideas on where to look from here. Or should I just give up on the central locking working in the Polo?

RisingPhoenix
23-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Or as a side note, does anyone have a diagram on how the vacuum lines run/access to them to diagnose the issue further?

sports racer
06-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Is it only the fuel cap that stays locked? If so, it sounds like it's sticking and needs to be tweaked / thumped.

hoontime
04-02-2012, 09:02 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

why does everyone think of this? From reading this thread I will ask about the gearbox but what else to look out for?

For Sale By Owner
Make Volkswagen
Model Polo
Body Type Hatchback
Year 1998
Kilometers 86000
Transmission Manual
Drivetrain Rear-wheel drive (RWD)
Air Conditioning Yes
This economical 1.6mp petrol is in british racing green has done low km and in mint condition. It contains power steering and windows, a/c and dual airbags, toebar, 1 year rego,

she is asking for $5,500.

I want to pay $2000

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

why does everyone think of this? From reading this thread I will ask about the gearbox but what else to look out for?

For Sale By Owner
Make Volkswagen
Model Polo
Body Type Hatchback
Year 1998
Kilometers 86000
Transmission Manual
Drivetrain Rear-wheel drive (RWD)
Air Conditioning Yes
This economical 1.6mp petrol is in british racing green has done low km and in mint condition. It contains power steering and windows, a/c and dual airbags, toebar, 1 year rego,

she is asking for $5,500.

I want to pay $2000

Wolfgang
04-02-2012, 09:19 AM
I don't think you've figured out how buying a car works yet. Either save more money or look for a car that is advertised very close to what you are willing to pay. No one will sell you a $5500 car for $2000.

Umai Naa!!
04-02-2012, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't normally weigh into troll arguments, but seriously...

If you have $2000 to spend, find a car that is cheaper than that.

Low-balling someone is not socially acceptable. No matter how much somone is selling something for, regardless of what it's worth.

Wolfgang
04-02-2012, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't normally weigh into troll arguments, but seriously...

Nor do I but I am over the endless amount of useless posts.

They have been given plenty of advice but have completely ignored all of it.