PDA

View Full Version : Superb recommendation

fragl1923
29-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Evening all,

We lease our cars through work (generally for 2 years at a time), have 2 small kids in car seats and run about 35k km per year (giver or take 5k) mainly on the highway to and from Hobart.

We've had a progression of cars that are reasonably fun to drive Forester GT-->WRX-->Forester XT (kids)--> Falcon G6E Turbo, and are looking at our next choice.

Subaru seem to be incapable of realising that people won't pay $60k for something that looks like it came out of the Hyundai factory via the Target interior decorating section. They also think that manually adjusted seats, an outdated satnav system and no legroom is OK. The Ford's had some "issues" that Ford aren't too keen to offer help on, so we're looking elsewhere.

We like the look of the Passats but they're probably a price bracket too high for a 2 year lease, and I stumbled across the Skoda this arvo. From looking on the website and reading reviews it seems that the best performance + gadget/luxury option we've got is to try and find a Superb V6 191 FSI.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who can compare the 191 FSI to these others.

Cheers,

Glen

theduckster
29-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi Glen

I have had my 191 FSI for two weeks and as far as I'm concerned it hasn't missed a beat in that It has been everything I had hoped for and expected. I looked at the Falcon G6E and the Subaru Liberty GT and in the end the Superb was just a better overall package for me. I had driven Subaru's previously and I was settled on getting a Liberty GT until I saw the Superb.

For performance the Falcon G6E Turbo is the pick of the options, but for me lacked in the interior department which was a huge concern for me. I wanted a vehicle that I felt comfortable being in. I drove my friend's Falcon G6E and was really impressed by the performance but wasn't impressed by the interior and the lack of options in the car. Would been a great car to own first up but as time went on I would be missing the interior options. Having Curtain Airbags as an option was another off putting factor for me. How can you have a modern safety feature as an option? Bang for your buck wise the Falcon G6E Turbo wins hands down but for me overall was pick number 3 for me.

My second choice was the Liberty because I believe overall package was better than the G6E Turbo. There was more in the car and have driven Subaru's previously was more than happy to stick with the manufacturer that I knew. The engine was powerful enough for me but overall the Liberty was just a better package. The black Enkei STI rims would have been a must have for me lol.

What won me over to the Superb was just the overall package you got for the same price range of the Falcon G6E and the Subaru Liberty GT. The list of features in the Superb is a lot longer than the list of features of the other two. The engine has similar performance to that of the Liberty without the turbo. The room in the Superb is comparable to that of the G6E and is far larger than the Liberty GT. I find the seats in the Superb to be better than the other two which is great on the long drives (the heated seats are just fantastic). The interior of the Superb is by far the best of the three and has the best layout of instruments and features. I will admit that I'm still getting used to the indicators and wipers being the other way around but given some more time I will get there and the bonnet release being on the passenger side lol.

For me I have no regrets going with a Superb this time around and you have a hard time trying to convince that the other two that I looked at are better overall packages than the Superb. I will admit in some areas the other two win out but overall the Superb is by far the best choice.

A problem might be the availability of the 191 FSI. More than likely you will have to get one built as there is only about 20-25 wagon and sedans in dealer stock in Australia currently. If you can afford to wait for one then I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with going with a Superb with your next lease.

spaz74
30-07-2011, 08:50 AM
It comes down to better bang for your buck. Nothing compares in the price range and as an added bonus you get better build quality in the process. Every person who gets a ride in my car is blown away by the quality and ride.

VAG newbie
30-07-2011, 09:14 AM
It's not a coincidence that Superb is voted as the most satisfying car in UK (Auto Express, 2011). Not only it has won multiple major awards world wide (these include major awards such as Top Gear, Which Car? In UK, also Best Cars in Aus) judged by expert panels, almost every superb drivers (and Skoda driver) are very satisfied with their car. I've been searching forums like this to hear words of mouth by Skoda owners and I've hardly hear any complaints!

And why should there be? The car has the space, performance, handling, built quality, value, safety, and fuel efficiency that is better than almost every other competitors, including those that are more expensive! The only downside I can think of is the badge and unknown resale value. Personally I don't really care for the badge, and for resale, I think it will definitely be better than a Falcon.

That's why I made my purchase.

Parkesy
31-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Can only back up what the other guys have said. Also had my V6 Wagon for a couple of weeks, and comparing it with several Holden and Ford rental cars I've driven recently, the Superb is superior in every aspect, especially quality.
Rear seat room has to be seen to be believed, and performance from the V6 is awesome - and sounds bloody good too.
As Duckster mentions, availability is really the only problem if you want an exact spec to your liking, but if not, check out carsales.com.au, as I notice some dealers have a few in stock.

Inego
02-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Subaru seem to be incapable of realising that people won't pay $60k for something that looks like it came out of the Hyundai factory via the Target interior decorating section. They also think that manually adjusted seats, an outdated satnav system and no legroom is OK. Nothing to add on the Superb (other than it or perhaps an allroad will be my next car), but as a former Subaru owner, this sums up my views pretty well too....

Transporter
02-08-2011, 08:45 AM
The only downside I can think of is the badge and unknown resale value. Personally I don't really care for the badge, and for resale, I think it will definitely be better than a Falcon.

That's why I made my purchase.

...and you rightly don't care for that badge, because it is one of the oldest one in the world. :)
The resale should be good too, at least for few years, since they don't sell too many of them compare to other cars.

aware
02-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Welcome - The Superb is certainly a worthy contender - you'll find that the Superb certainly has more space in the rear seats than the G6ET - We looked at one in 2008, and I couldn't sit in the back comfortably at all (6ft tall) whereas the car we chose was much better in that regard (Accord V6L). We are now looking to replace the Accord early next year (on a 3 year lease, should end in September but dad moves home from France next year hence the delay) and have narrowed it down to a Subaru or Superb. We also have 2 Foresters (MY05 and MY09), and are very happy with them and would have no hesitation in choosing another Subaru - although I don't know which car you are looking at for 60k with no legroom (new Liberty/Outback is much, much better then the last model) as well as manually adjustable seats (we are looking at GT/Outback) where both front seats have power adjustment.

I don't know too much about the Superb myself, only that we'd be looking at the 103 or 125 TDI and that certainly it is very good from a value and space perspective, and they get very good write-ups from what I have read so far - we'll be testing them soon when dad gets back here for 2 weeks. I have already been to the local dealer and was very impressed with the Superb - and with a diesel 4X4 version it is more tempting.

Good luck with your decision!

fragl1923
02-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Seems the sales guy at Subaru doesn't know too much about his product - told me the new Liberty had manual seats with no memory settings. It does, but I'm still leaning towards the Skoda (Liberty GT sedan for Hobart is $58k drive away without any options).

On the surface both cars are probably a bit closer than I thought, but having a look at what was in stock down here today (Octavia RS & a couple of Scouts), the cars' interiors look top notch. Strangely, they look very similar to the VWs I've checked out before!

Only conern for me was the fact that the guy basically said they rarely have Superbs in stock as they sell very quickly. Will be a challenge to find one to test drive in the coming months.

CanberravRS
03-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Well as an owner of the V6 4x4 Superb, now at 16,000klms I can say that its a leap ahead of ther other two you are looking at.
Im on my second Skoda now after 2.75 years in an Octavia vRS and now 9months in the Superb, and im happy i made the choice.

You might take some time to read a post i wrote at 10,000klms.
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f150/skoda-superb-v6-wagon-review-53895.html