PDA

View Full Version : Too much oil?

Paul_R
29-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Checked the oil last week. No oil on dipstick. Assumed mechanic stupid at recent service. The car doesn't use oil.

Added 1 litre = just touching dipstick.
Added a second litre = now above top notch on dipstick. About the same distance above the top notch as between the two notches. WTF. Now feel stupid.

Have been driving car 80kms per day at 100kph since. Now feel very stupid. Only noticed occasional hiccup on take-off. Could have been there before. Nothing else unusual. Fuel economy still 6.7/100.

I know LARGE amounts of extra oil will kill your engine. Any non-stupid people got any advice? Must I drain the oil or is an extra litre OK? I need this car (1997 Mitsu Lancer 1.5 manual, 200,000kms) to last 'till February / 10,000 kms (about the length of a Golf R delivery time funnily enough!)

phaeton
29-07-2011, 12:55 PM
If its above the max line I would drain a litre as the pressure could blow seals.

Transporter
29-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Drain it out or suck it out. It pays to wait 3-5minutes after you added the oil before you measure the oil level. :)

gldgti
29-07-2011, 06:32 PM
probably it will only have done damage to the catalytic converter.... too much oil can cause lots of oil vapour to pass through the engine and it will soot up the cat....