PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Temperatures

johnvw
24-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi All,
Do any Forum members have a Golf Mk6 gti and VCDS.
I would like to compare some coolant temperatures that I have recorded.
I may have a suspect water pump so I have started to record temperatures as a means of tracking a possible problem. The Dealer Service have been unsure as to the initial whistling noise.
Anything else I could track ??
Regards John

Transporter
24-07-2011, 08:56 PM
You should be able to spot the pinky color of the coolant much sooner than the temperature increase in VCDS. Or just get it pressure tested.

whiteVR6
24-07-2011, 09:00 PM
You should be able to spot the pinky color of the coolant much sooner than the temperature increase in VCDS. Or just get it pressure tested.

Since the mk6 GTI runs timing chains instead of a belt Id assume the water pump leak wouldn't be seen from the outside due to the leak going into the oil system?

Transporter
24-07-2011, 09:42 PM
The water pump is still belt driven and coolant will leak outside.

johnvw
25-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks Gents,
This all started with a whistling noise coming from the front of the engine, (like a dry bearing) between the alternator and throttle body.
I mentioned this at the 1500klm ( Service/Check/ Get to know the Service Team). After some buggering around it was decided the water pump was at fault. For different reasons I decided not to go back and the noise has gone ( fingers crossed).
This noise has been common to a few other Forum members, on this site, with the cause still unresolved, hence I am now monitoring the coolant temperature. ( See Golf Mk6 site)
***Just where is the water pump located
Thank you to all
Regards
John

Transporter
25-07-2011, 06:42 PM
The water pump is driven by the balance shaft by the toothed belt and is located right from the engine oil cooler which is right from the oil filter, you can see the 2 hoses going in the black thermostat housing bolted to the cylinder head, the silver bit attached to it is the water pump.

johnvw
25-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Many thanks,
Well that is where the noise was coming from, interesting that there is no noise now.
If the water pump was not replaced ( due to the absence of noise ) but was still faulty, would I expect a deterioration of coolant flow ( ie an increase in coolant temperature ) or possible complete collapse of cooling ( ie No warning).

Regards John

Transporter
26-07-2011, 09:00 AM
The cooling system shouldn't fail for the minor noise from the water pump area. The noise could as well be, just a fan wheel rubbing against the w/p cover (yes there is a fan wheel inside at the end of the w/p shaft - most likely to cool the toothed belt) or the cover is vibrating a bit and touching the moving part there.